A snowcone maker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
A water heater.
A snowcone maker.
The insulation and everything else has been removed leaving just the internal water tank.  On the top I made and plumbed in a large shallow funnel like pan with a screen to dump oil in and drain oil filters.  On the bottom I added a valve so I can drain oil out to a bucket or whatever.  Usually it just ends up getting burned in the burn bin.  I live way out on the country and there is no garbage pickup.   Everyone just burns theirs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Changed my oil yesterday. Put it back in the 1 gal container it came from.

Rotella T6
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
shops around here charge between $85 and $110 for mine. I can do it myself in 10 minutes for $25. I vacuum pump the oil out and my filter is on top of the engine. I can do mine in a suit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
35lb kitty litter containers

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/818MAP8U4HL._SL1500_.jpg

I keep two in the garage to fill up with waste oil.    Two will last me through oil changes of everything I have, then take them to Auto Zone and dump them.

They are durable and you can stack them.  I use them for brass too.
I used those for years, until I figured out it was cheaper to get my oil changed at the shop down the road than it was to buy oil and a filter.  Same guy has been doing it for years.  I'll do more expensive repairs myself, but I'm done changing oil. 
shops around here charge between $85 and $110 for mine. I can do it myself in 10 minutes for $25. I vacuum pump the oil out and my filter is on top of the engine. I can do mine in a suit.
That sort of price difference would keep me changing my own oil at least on that vehicle.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So how many times have they forgotten to tighten the drain plug, or add enough oil?

Also, I guarantee that they aren't using quality oil and filters.

You are getting bargain bin dino and fram unless otherwise specified.
View Quote
hey have always done a good job at it.  Fram and Quaker State is just fine for my 10 year old truck.   I did the ball joints and the sway bar links this past weekend on it, so don't mind getting greasy, just don't want to change oil anymore.  Not worth the hassle. 
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The empty jugs work fine for me.
View Quote
+1   ^This^
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
55 GALLON DRUMS.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#9]
2,000 Gallon Tank.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Just pour it in an old tire and light on fire.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup.
View Quote
Me too, and when I need to burn some brush I dump some in a pail and light er up. If some spills on the ground, fuck it that's where it came from.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#12]
i drink a ton of those 1.75L poland springs water bottles at work, i usually pour used oil into them and then chcuk them with loosened up caps into peoples yards with "ban fracking" signs in them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i drink a ton of those 1.75L poland springs water bottles at work, i usually pour used oil into them and then chcuk them with loosened up caps into peoples yards with "ban fracking" signs in them.
View Quote
Wow. Edgy
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The empty jugs work fine for me.
View Quote
This. It's called a "funnel".
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Tidy Cat makes a scoopable litter in 3-ish gallon jugs.  Good handles and a wide spout to allow easy funneling.  Go find a crazy cat lady or ask neighbors with cats.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Milk jugs are flimsy as hell if they get any age on them.  A mess waiting to happen.  Who doesn't buy oil in gallon or 5 qt containers?
View Quote
I buy the quart bottles if they have a sale that makes them cheaper per quart than the bigger jugs.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't new oil come in containers?

Don't you empty the contents of the new oil containers into your engine?

What to do with the now empty containers that have the exact same volume as the amount of waste oil you have?

This problem would seem to solve itself......
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#18]
You want a compromise between quantity, portability, and minimal floor space?

Get a used 15 gallon plastic barrel. I got mine for $5 at a garage sale, but you can sometimes find them for free on Craigslist. They have enough capacity so I only have to empty it twice a year, while not holding too much so I can still move it.

Here's what a new one looks like: 15 gallon barrel
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top