Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep mines first version too, purchased it 88/89 I think.
Thinking about selling it, just been laying in the safe for 30+ years.

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/194/Term1-2494070.jpg
View Quote

Would be interested would go with the smaller one I have nowAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Handles Flight of the Intruder bowies was black micarta. Super cool but, hard to find.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They were great knives for 15 bucks or whatever they cost.  The early ones were pretty dull from the factory, I guess to cut costs, but would take a very sharp edge, and due to the curve of the blade, it slices as it sticks, so a big cut in whatever you're running it into.

CS started making lots of similar spear points - one was called the Board Sticker or some such, and good ole Lynn was in a video stabbing some wild hog with it or such.  Sort of comical, yet more up close and personal with a wild boar than I'd like to be.

View Quote

Lol that man is what they call a Card.
I went and watched a bunch of his antics a few years back from the last cs thread.
I own about 6 or 8 CS blades of current production and mostly due to the last big thread.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an old Master Hunter in Carbon V.  It's a good knife and I still use it occasionally.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yuck!  You mean with bone too, or just a nasty cut with lots of meat?  Do you remember how it happened?  Was he chopping down on something and got his finger in the way?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was at one of the Soldier of Fortune Conventions in Vegas when a guy (not me) sliced off a finger during one of the Cold Steel demonstrations.

Yuck!  You mean with bone too, or just a nasty cut with lots of meat?  Do you remember how it happened?  Was he chopping down on something and got his finger in the way?

Little finger hanging off by a little bit of meat and skin.

CS always attended the Conventions and Lynn Thompson was there putting on demonstrations. In this case, he was showing how tough his knives were by punching through the tops of metal 55 gal drums (shades of "Forged in Fire".)

Afterwards, he allowed people in the audience to give it a try. Dude picks up the knife (can't remember the model) in an icepick grip, up over his head and slammed it down on the top of the metal drum lid. He didn't put his thumb on the top of the hilt or do anything else to stop his hand from sliding down the blade. Ouch.

These days it would mean a zillion dollar lawsuit. Back then, there was a lot of craziness at the Conventions. Sure miss those days.

@1stID
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool thread OP!

I remember the poster they put out, the one with a tanto through a car door.  Made quite an impression on a young me, lol.

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/194/Term1-2494070.jpg
View Quote

Very nice, and in great shape.  Probably a 300 dollar knife on Ebay.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Handles Flight of the Intruder bowies was black micarta. Super cool but, hard to find.
View Quote

I've seen two for sale - one on Ebay, in as new shape, with the Certificate of Authtensicty - it went for over a grand I think.  Another had a few dings, no papers, and went for 600-700.

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lol that man is what they call a Card.
I went and watched a bunch of his antics a few years back from the last cs thread.
I own about 6 or 8 CS blades of current production and mostly due to the last big thread.
View Quote

You either love Lynn for his history and antics, or think he's a fool, no real in-between.  That plus his girth makes him polizaring.

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Little finger hanging off by a little bit of meat and skin.

CS always attended the Conventions and Lynn Thompson was there putting on demonstrations. In this case, he was showing how tough his knives were by punching through the tops of metal 55 gal drums (shades of "Forged in Fire".)

Afterwards, he allowed people in the audience to give it a try. Dude picks up the knife (can't remember the model) in an icepick grip, up over his head and slammed it down on the top of the metal drum lid. He didn't put his thumb on the top of the hilt or do anything else to stop his hand from sliding down the blade. Ouch.

These days it would mean a zillion dollar lawsuit. Back then, there was a lot of craziness at the Conventions. Sure miss those days.

@1stID
View Quote

Yuck!  Bet he never did that again!  Good times.  Bet those shows were fun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Let's talk Vaqueros!

These came out starting in 98. They had this interesting curved blade, which was stated to allow for better slicing than a straight edge, and most were serrated.

There were 4 sizes, 6 and 5 and 4 and 3 inch versions, with the 4 and 3 also having a non-serrated edge.

First up is the big boy, the 6 inch Vaquero Grande, with a nice kydex sheath.

Attachment Attached File

Then there's the 5 inch version, which is my everyday pocket carry.  If you need a knife, you need a knife!

Attachment Attached File

The 4 inch version had both serrated and smooth edges, and was called the El Hombre:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Finally, the 3 inch version was called the El Lobo.  I only have the smooth edge, and need to get a serrated one:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Family picture:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Very cool!
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:03:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Let's talk Vaqueros!

These came out starting in 98. They had this interesting curved blade, which was stated to allow for better slicing than a straight edge, and most were serrated.

There were 4 sizes, 6 and 5 and 4 and 3 inch versions, with the 4 and 3 also having a non-serrated edge.

First up is the big boy, the 6 inch Vaquero Grande, with a nice kydex sheath.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Vaquero_Grande___21GNS_jpg-2494515.JPG

Then there's the 5 inch version, which is my everyday pocket carry.  If you need a knife, you need a knife!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Large_Vaquero____21LNS_jpg-2494522.JPG

The 4 inch version had both serrated and smooth edges, and was called the El Hombre:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/El_Hombre__Smooth___22EHL_jpg-2494526.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/El_Hombre_Sereated___22EHLS_jpg-2494527.JPG

Finally, the 3 inch version was called the El Lobo.  I only have the smooth edge, and need to get a serrated one:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/El_Lobo__Smooth___22W_jpg-2494528.JPG
View Quote

I believe their design was based on the Spanish Navaja.

https://www.spainbuddy.com/the-navaja-knife-of-spain/

Awesome collection you have there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe their design was based on the Spanish Navaja.

https://www.spainbuddy.com/the-navaja-knife-of-spain/

Awesome collection you have there.
View Quote

Wait till I get to the Kukris!

Had to grimance when I read this.  Don't carry a knife in your car!  It's like living in a prison, with everyone an inmate:

Nowadays the laws on carrying knives in Spain are very strict. In short, simply don’t carry one unless you have good reason for work, hunting or fishing and the like. Also, be aware that you should also not be transporting knives in a car without good reason (and not in the passenger compartment).
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ohnowudunnit...

My Carbon V LTC. Ordered it from a Shotgun News ad - vendor named Rapid Fire that had a turtle as the company mascot. $40 plus shipping. That was the lowest price I ever saw for one.  Circa 1995 maybe - certainly before 1999. Back when you sent a money order and weeks later a package would arrive - no email confirmation or online tracking.

This one by far is my favorite blade.

I broke the snap on the original leather sheath. At one time Cold Steel offered replacement sheaths that were a different style so I bought the one in the pics.

I have another Carbon V LTC that I bought last year. It was found it its sheath buried in dried mud in an area that flooded. The seller confirmed the blade thickness for me so I knew it was a Carbon V and not one of the thinner Kukri Machetes. The sides are pitted and the markings are gone but the blade still has an excellent edge and the kraton handle is doing fine. It looks like it is ready for the end of the world. I like the patina - no worries about it rusting or getting scratched.

I was tempted to send them in for factory re-sharpening but after Lynn sold the company I'm not so sure.

I do have several later Kukri Machetes - blade profile is essentially the same, but cheaper and thinner 1055 steel that has to be sharpened very frequently.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ohnowudunnit...
[snip]

I was tempted to send them in for factory re-sharpening but after Lynn sold the company I'm not so sure.

I do have several later Kukri Machetes - blade profile is essentially the same, but cheaper and thinner 1055 steel that has to be sharpened very frequently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ohnowudunnit...
[snip]

According to the threads I'm reading over on BladeForums, CSs CS has gone to complete shit.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#19]

When I'm reading old magazines, I often get the urge to cut those ads out and mail them with a check to the address listed. On the off chance it doesn't fet returned to me, I think it would make someone's day to open that envelope.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Cold Steel has their old catalogs as .pdfs on their site going back to at least the mid 90's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ohnowudunnit...

My Carbon V LTC. Ordered it from a Shotgun News ad - vendor named Rapid Fire that had a turtle as the company mascot. $40 plus shipping. That was the lowest price I ever saw for one.  Circa 1995 maybe - certainly before 1999. Back when you sent a money order and weeks later a package would arrive - no email confirmation or online tracking.

This one by far is my favorite blade.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/V3kplj.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/tliWoX.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/0nBRul.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/OtpIOF.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/aTrQWJ.png

I broke the snap on the original leather sheath. At one time Cold Steel offered replacement sheaths that were a different style so I bought the one in the pics.

I have another Carbon V LTC that I bought last year. It was found it its sheath buried in dried mud in an area that flooded. The seller confirmed the blade thickness for me so I knew it was a Carbon V and not one of the thinner Kukri Machetes. The sides are pitted and the markings are gone but the blade still has an excellent edge and the kraton handle is doing fine. It looks like it is ready for the end of the world. I like the patina - no worries about it rusting or getting scratched.

View Quote

Ahh the good old days of sending in a money order, and hoping they could read your bad handwriting on the order form you cut out with scissors.

Great blade - I bought a similar one circ 1993 or so, will post it with the kukri's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cold Steel has their old catalogs as .pdfs on their site going back to at least the mid 90's.
View Quote

https://www.coldsteel.com/catalog-archives/

Here's the link to that.  I've used those catalogs to date what I've bought off Ebay.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#23]
The Special Forces Shovel!!!

This one was marketed as being some sort of super Russian Spectnaz (sp) weapon that could dig, stab, club, be thrown, and swap bullets out of the air like Camouflage in the great song by Stan Ridgway.

Hype aside, it's a handle shovel, and I keep one in my car both for digging, and holding off hordes of blood sucking leftists, if required.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Special Forces Shovel!!!

This one was marketed as being some sort of super Russian Spectnaz (sp) weapon that could dig, stab, club, be thrown, and swap bullets out of the air like Camouflage in the great song by Stan Ridgway.

Hype aside, it's a handle shovel, and I keep one in my car both for digging, and holding off hordes of blood sucking leftists, if required.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Special_Forces_Shovel___92SF_jpg-2497278.JPG
View Quote

I have one that looks very similar to that. I think mine is East German.

This thread inspired me to wash the dirt off of it and re-sharpen it on the belt sander a few days ago.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here's the link to that.  I've used those catalogs to date what I've bought off Ebay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Cold Steel began selling a series of "classic military knives, around 1993.  The first one was called the Military Classic, and was listed as $147 bucks in the 95 catalog, compared to $240 for their tanto.  They must not have made a whole lot of these, as they go for 400-500 bucks on Ebay, compared to 300 ish for the tanos.

In 95 CS came out with the Black Bear Classic, which was a pretty wicket looking double edge knife.  Price was $220.  As with the Military Classic, in good shape these early models go for
$400 or more.

Later on, CS made the same pattern knife, but in a more utilitarian format - Kydex sheaths, either black epoxy coating over Carbon V steel, or stainless from Japan, both with the rubber grips instead of fancy micarta.  They also called them different names - the Military Classic was called the ODA, the Black Bear Classic was the OSS (both had the same outline pattern of blades and handles), and they offered another version, the UWK, which was pattered after the Vietnam era SOG knife.

Unlike the tantos and Trailmasters, I never was that into these when they first came out.  I picked up a Carbon V ODA off Ebay as it was a good price, and I have to say, based on balance and feel, it's a very good knife.  It and the SKR would be great knock around military knives for close in combat, or more likely opening up MRE's and other boring stuff.

Attachment Attached File

This OSS is actually a Taiwan version, so not the classic Japan or Carbon V vantage, but was being offered at like 80 buck or so on Ebay, so I had to pick it up.  The double hilt does really lock your hand in place but seems like more hassle than it's worth.  With the double edge and long (8-1/4") blade, it is fierce looking.  I'll pick up a Carbon V version if I see one.

I need the UWK to complete the set but you rarely see those - must not have made many.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Love my Master Hunter in Carbon V.

While looking on EBay I found an ad for a vintage master hunter. It had terrible blurry pics but the old style sheath. I thought I was getting another Carbon V. Ended up with a master hunter without steel type marked on it, only made in Japan. Looking around I think it's AUS-8 steel. By far my least favorite master hunter and I think I have all the steel types it was offered in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/6g58b9G/1661099508706-1752706896.jpg

While looking on EBay I found an ad for a vintage master hunter. It had terrible blurry pics but the old style sheath. I thought I was getting another Carbon V. Ended up with a master hunter without steel type marked on it, only made in Japan. Looking around I think it's AUS-8 steel. By far my least favorite master hunter and I think I have all the steel types it was offered in.
View Quote

Cold Steel offered most of their knives in both Carbon V and Japanese stainless, and the Master Hunter was offered in both too.  Carbon V, whatever that was as it's not a technical steel grade, was a great steel - could get and hold a great edge, but lots of folks are hooked up on if something will rust, so there was a market for stainless steel knives too.

I have the Master Hunter, and it's a great knife, and a useful size for actual use, instead of what most Cold Steel knives are used for - looking awesome.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#29]
The Raja

Not sure when this knife came out - 20 teens or such.

The picture doesn't do the size of it justice, the thing is huge!  As with the Vaquero series, they have an interesting blade patter, that slices as it's stabbed or chopped down, supposedly for better cutting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/6g58b9G/1661099508706-1752706896.jpg

View Quote

The old ones were exceptionally practical knives.  The current product seems cheap…and the obnoxious kydex sheath is bigger than two knives.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#31]
This one isn't a Cold Steel, but I'm including it here as 1. I lusted after it in the same display case as the Trailmaster 2. the dedicated knife post here has slumped into various pictures of someone's lunch with a knife on the side, with no cool discussions of the blade, or your history with it.

The Gerber version of the Bowie knife came out I believe in the late 80's - same Crocodile Dundee craze for big knives.  It was quite a bit cheaper back then than the Trailmaster, and had more of a subdued finish than the bright ones of the CS ones.

Now though, they run as much as Trailmasters or more.  This one I picked up on Ebay for 250-300 bucks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The old ones were exceptionally practical knives.  The current product seems cheap…and the obnoxious kydex sheath is bigger than two knives.
View Quote

Current CS isn't very good from what I've heard.  But I've not bought anything they've made of late.  And yes, I never liked the Kydex sheaths - they had all these slots and holes on the sides of the sheath - I guess for various tie down points, but it made the sheath much larger and in the way than the older leather or cordon (sp) ones.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cold Steel began selling a series of "classic military knives, around 1993.  The first one was called the Military Classic, and was listed as $147 bucks in the 95 catalog, compared to $240 for their tanto.  They must not have made a whole lot of these, as they go for 400-500 bucks on Ebay, compared to 300 ish for the tanos.

In 95 CS came out with the Black Bear Classic, which was a pretty wicket looking double edge knife.  Price was $220.  As with the Military Classic, in good shape these early models go for
$400 or more.

Later on, CS made the same pattern knife, but in a more utilitarian format - Kydex sheaths, either black epoxy coating over Carbon V steel, or stainless from Japan, both with the rubber grips instead of fancy micarta.  They also called them different names - the Military Classic was called the ODA, the Black Bear Classic was the OSS (both had the same outline pattern of blades and handles), and they offered another version, the UWK, which was pattered after the Vietnam era SOG knife.

Unlike the tantos and Trailmasters, I never was that into these when they first came out.  I picked up a Carbon V ODA off Ebay as it was a good price, and I have to say, based on balance and feel, it's a very good knife.  It and the SKR would be great knock around military knives for close in combat, or more likely opening up MRE's and other boring stuff.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/ODA___38DAC_jpg-2497328.JPG

This OSS is actually a Taiwan version, so not the classic Japan or Carbon V vantage, but was being offered at like 80 buck or so on Ebay, so I had to pick it up.  The double hilt does really lock your hand in place but seems like more hassle than it's worth.  With the double edge and long (8-1/4") blade, it is fierce looking.  I'll pick up a Carbon V version if I see one.

I need the UWK to complete the set but you rarely see those - must not have made many.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/OSS___39LSSC_jpg-2497327.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/OSS_and_ODA_jpg-2497344.JPG

View Quote
I know where there is an OSI for sale if interested.  It's another sub-hilt with a flat grind and it looks like AUS8A steel.  LMK via PM.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks but I think the OSI is just another re-name of the OSS - looks like the same pattern as what I have.

So what else for my collection.  I'm thinking:

Imperial Tai Pan.  I should have bought the last one I saw on eBay - was 1500 or so, but in as new shape, and with some of the goodies that came with it like the Certificate, and the box.  

Would love to have some of CS early, pre-tanto blades, when they were just starting out, like the Urban Pal and Urban Shiv.  I've seen a few Pals, and one Shiv (in bad shape) on eBay.  

Recon and mini tantos, to round out the tanto collection.

I should plunk down the funds for a non-coated kukri.  They go for 400-500 bucks, but it's a huge and beautiful piece of steel, and while they don't cut any better than the coated ones, they do look more impressive.

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#35]

OK, last set of photos from the collection, saving the biggest for last.

Kukris!

The first one I bought was this one, circa 1993 as I bought it while in the Army at Ft. Hood.  I was living in such a dumpty apartment I remember thinking I could chop my way through one of the walls with it.

Attachment Attached File

Later on, in 1998, Cold Steel made a bigger and more impressive version, the Gurkha Kukri.  12 inch blade, 17 inches overall, and a whopping 22 ounces, at a 5/16" blade thickness.  Huge knife by any  standard, and quite impressive.  They also made a thinner and lighter version with an epoxy finish.

My next kukri was one after CS had moved production away from Japan and the US.  This one is from China, and while CS had issues from what I'd read with manufacturing there, and moved production to Taiwan, this one looks and feels great, and has a very sharp edge.

Attachment Attached File

Next up is a pretty rare one, the mini kukri.  This model came out in 2000, and is a smaller version with a blade of 9-1/2", and is handy enough to actually carry around.

Attachment Attached File

Recently I picked up a USA made Carbon V kukri, with a black epoxy finish.  While Cold Steel had made such a finish since they came out with the kukri line in 95, they were all the lightweight version, with a thinner blade.  In 2002 CS made a coated version with the same 5/16" thick blade as the polished one.

Attachment Attached File

Kurkis:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#36]
My humble collection.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a black Cold Steel Kukri that I picked up years ago. It is completely unmarked. Not a stamping or engraving of any kind, anywhere.  There was a story, but I forget it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I have that newer cheaper thin cheap kukri and if I had suspected they made one that was worth a tit, I would have gotten that one.
But after hitting it with the grinder, belt sander then file, it serves as a good weed chopper for the yard.
Bought a cheapy at tractor supply that is better.
That one I have strapped to the 4wheeler.

Bunch of things I don't know about CS.
The Taiwan made blades are decent enough though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Ahh, one of the old school Military Classics.  Very nice.  They're 400-500 dollar knives now on eBay.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Very nice, some vintage items I see, like the Recon Tanto, couple of Voyage folding tantos, and the push dagger, which looks like a Terminator / Defender.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OK, last set of photos from the collection, saving the biggest for last.

Kukris!

The first one I bought was this one, circa 1993 as I bought it while in the Army at Ft. Hood.  I was living in such a dumpty apartment I remember thinking I could chop my way through one of the walls with it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/LTC_Kukri___35LT_jpg-2497749.JPG

Later on, in 1998, Cold Steel made a bigger and more impressive version, the Gurkha Kukri.  12 inch blade, 17 inches overall, and a whopping 22 ounces, at a 5/16" blade thickness.  Huge knife by any  standard, and quite impressive.  They also made a thinner and lighter version with an epoxy finish.

My next kukri was one after CS had moved production away from Japan and the US.  This one is from China, and while CS had issues from what I'd read with manufacturing there, and moved production to Taiwan, this one looks and feels great, and has a very sharp edge.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Gurkha_Kukri___35ATCB_jpg-2497800.JPG

Next up is a pretty rare one, the mini kukri.  This model came out in 2000, and is a smaller version with a blade of 9-1/2", and is handy enough to actually carry around.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Mini_Gurkha_Light_Kukri___35GKS_jpg-2497807.JPG

Recently I picked up a USA made Carbon V kukri, with a black epoxy finish.  While Cold Steel had made such a finish since they came out with the kukri line in 95, they were all the lightweight version, with a thinner blade.  In 2002 CS made a coated version with the same 5/16" thick blade as the polished one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Gurkha_Kukri___35ATCBB_jpg-2497812.JPG

Kurkis:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Kukris_jpg-2497813.JPG

View Quote

I have one of the HTC ones with a 15" blade.

Mine still has the little loop on the bottom of the sheath attached.

Could never afford one of the more expensive beefy ones.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have that newer cheaper thin cheap kukri and if I had suspected they made one that was worth a tit, I would have gotten that one.
But after hitting it with the grinder, belt sander then file, it serves as a good weed chopper for the yard.
Bought a cheapy at tractor supply that is better.
That one I have strapped to the 4wheeler.

Bunch of things I don't know about CS.
The Taiwan made blades are decent enough though.
View Quote

Cold Steel also made a series of basically machetes that had a kukri pattern, at a sale price of 20-30 bucks.  They're far different from their actual kukri knives, that were as thick as 5/16" of an inch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Their old school ads were the best - Shotgun News if I remember right. My dad loved them. The Outdoorsman was his favorite. I have a few, gave a few away over the years too. Had a CS push dagger concealed on my kit in Iraq - because Nobody Can Kill Barnes. Never had to use it but was always glad I had it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:22:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Finally dug mine out.
Nothing fancy. Peacekeeper 2.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice!  Always wanted one of those.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Finally dug mine out.
Nothing fancy. Peacekeeper 2.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20220824_052011_jpg-2500846.JPG
View Quote

Nice, the stainless ones were made in Japan.  Yours is a later model as CS started using the Kydex sheaths for about everything later on, to cut cost I read.  The early ones were cordan / nylon sheaths.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally placed my hands on my Cold Steel "sterile" Recon Scout.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Cold Steel SRK Carbon V Parkerized blade. First Cold Steel product I ever bought. Still "new", but the blade rusted in one small spot while stored.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#50]
For Carbon V I’ve got:

4 Recon Tanto’s.
2 Trailmasters, one polished and one black.
1 LTC Kukri.
1 Oyabun (9” Tanto).

Two of the Recon Tanto’s are NIB and I have put them aside for my daughter.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top