Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just picked this up at the flea market for $30, beautiful condition. I’ll probably see what I can flip it for in the ee

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice one, that's the first year or so model, as it has the plastic pocket clip - CS later moved to a metal one after the plastic ones broke.

The wear is going to reduce the price - most CS collectors really want them almost brand new.  And the clip points never were as popular as the tantos.  But you can sell it for more than you paid for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Got the black smaller Peacekeeper, it's a wicked looking little knife:

Attachment Attached File

The Peacekeeper collection is now complete - all 4 versions, with the first year or so cordon sheaths, not the plastic ones they came out with later:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think that 2008 or so counts as vintage, but I don't want the thread to die. Here's my pocket bushman watching me try to make parathas (flat bread/tortilla things)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]

VG10 San Mai Master Tanto

@1stID
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Not Cold Steel, but I like sharp and pointy things.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not Cold Steel, but I like sharp and pointy things.

https://i.imgur.com/1HTH3jv.jpg
View Quote
Is it sad that I recognize almost all of those?

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Beavis and Butt-Head - 'Chinese War Sword'

Lynn Thompson is probably secretly honored to be in a 'Beavis & Butthead' video.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it sad that I recognize almost all of those?

View Quote
Nope, nothing wrong with that at all.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/T6TZ4Xq.jpg

VG10 San Mai Master Tanto

@1stID
View Quote

Very nice, the Master Tanto is such a nice blade.

Got another huge CS in the works - the ATC Chopper on the way.  It's the more rounded kukri blade, in Carbon V and uncoated and polished.  Will post pics when it comes in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish CS would re-release the HTC Kukri in SK-5 with a baked on black finish.  Basically a 15” upscaled LTC Kukri.  Picture stolen from EBAY.

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  when I was a kid I would wait anxiously for the CS Christmas flyer which usually had some great deals.  My Dad and I would usually buy whichever knife was the best deal

Quoted:

Very nice, the Master Tanto is such a nice blade.

Got another huge CS in the works - the ATC Chopper on the way.  It's the more rounded kukri blade, in Carbon V and uncoated and polished.  Will post pics when it comes in.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Cold Steel Website typically doesn’t have the greatest prices, but here is their holiday flyer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I got in the ATC, and what a beast it is.  Huge and ready to chop limbs off, either tree form or human.

My old LTC was much thinner, while this one is a full 1/4" thick I think.

Attachment Attached File

LTC and ATC set:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's a knife I didn't know a lot about, the Oyabun.  This came out in 98, so it's part of the vintage catalog of Cold Steel knives.  This one has a 9" blade, but is lighter than the tanto line.  There were 4 of this line in total - the Oyabun at 9 inches and 7-1/2", and the Kobun at 5-1/2", with both straight and serrated edges.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#15]
1995, there I was, no shit.

I just started my, now defunct, company "Alaska Tactical" which was me getting in on the, at the time, new term.

I ordered an assload of practical tactical knives. Cold Steel, OKC Spec plus, Glock field knives, etc.

So, I pulled a Cold Steel Voyager out of the box, inspected the fine serrations on it, and ran the serrations across the edge on my desk. Every one of the small points broke off.

I called Cold Steel and explained the situation. I told them I ran it across wood, which was 100% true.

Cold Steel said, and I quote; "The serrations are not for wood". They refused to refund my money.

I dropped the Cold Steel line immediately and replaced it with SOG. The SOG Northwest Ranger is, IMO, still one of the best mid sized factory knives ever made.

ETA- They do make a fine fixed blade. The dishonest customer service is why I dropped them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
That is pretty poor.  They should have given you your money back, especially for all the ones that were NIB.  CS as all big on serrated edges for awhile.  My understanding of serrated edges for knives is for plate knives where you're cutting foot on a hard surface and would quickly dull a straight edge, while the serrated edge is more protected, with the cutting surface up in the scallaped sections.  

Their straight edge knives were great.  Now CS never actually "made" any of the knives they sold, in terms of having their own factory and such.  They would design them and have the specs for materials and quality control, then have other companies make them.  Western Knives for the USA ones is my understanding of who made them, and Hattori for the Japan models.

Some folks gave / give them grief for that, but Cold Steel / Lynn Thompson was more of an idea man for what knives should be like, than trying to fund and build a manufacturing company from scratch.  The build quality on the 80'-00's knives were very good, and they came out with many creative and interesting designs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 1994-vintage Recon Scout
It’s a bull of a knife.
Carbon V steel, .25” thk spine
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No Pentagon?

View Quote

SOG, I think
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a 1994-vintage Recon Scout
It’s a bull of a knife.
Carbon V steel, .25” thk spine
View Quote

The Recon Scout I think is CS's most useful knife.  Not huge like the Trailmaster, but still nice and big, with plenty of cutting and stabbing power, and good for work as well as defense.

Do you have the early model with the parkarized finish, or the epoxy coating?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Couple of new ones, a Rajaj III, which isn't vintage as it was made in Taiwan, but I got it cheap and it'll be a good use knife.

Attachment Attached File

On the vintage side, I finally bought a Culloden - they've been interesting to me but I've focused on other knives first.  That said, it's a wicked slim knife, and does carry quite well in a boot.  Neat knife.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Cullodden

I wanted to like it, just couldn't get past the handle....

bttt
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice one, that's the first year or so model, as it has the plastic pocket clip - CS later moved to a metal one after the plastic ones broke.

The wear is going to reduce the price - most CS collectors really want them almost brand new.  And the clip points never were as popular as the tantos.  But you can sell it for more than you paid for it.
View Quote

When CS used to set up at the old SOF Conventions they would sell the knives with the broken pocket clips cheap. I think I still have one in the truck somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#24]
New to me Cold Steel UWK knife - these were pattered after the SOG style knives, made of Carbon V and epoxy coated.  

Strangely, all the ones I've seen on auction sites don't have the original sheath.  The one I bought was brand new in the box, and yet no sheath.  I'd read that CS sometimes had problems getting sheaths for their knives, hence why sometimes they'd sell a knife with a leather sheath and sometimes with a kydex or cordon one, in the same year.  Maybe they had manufacturing issues getting sheaths made for this one, and just sold them out without sheaths for less cost.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Newest addition is a Carbon V OSS.  Got a good deal on it, and it's quite the knife at 8+ inches.

Attachment Attached File

Pictured here with a stainless OSS (though a Taiwan model but at 80 bucks was still a steal), the ODA, and the rather rare UWK.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top