Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/9/2024 8:41:00 PM EDT
May 9 (Reuters) - A U.S. school board in Shenandoah County, Virginia, will vote on Thursday on whether to restore previously removed Confederate names to two schools, potentially becoming the first community in the nation to reinstate such names.

In its written request to the board, the group cited surveys that it mailed to residents of the districts from which the schools' students are drawn, saying that out of 1,160 responses to 8,507 surveys sent, more than 90% favored switching back to the Confederate names.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/virginia-school-board-considers-restoring-confederate-names-schools-2024-05-09/
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
They probably figured out that those same 90% sampling also vote for, or against, school board members.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Good.  The Confederate hate was by liberals and that Indian woman from South Carolina.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Will they put the statue back in Charlottesville?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Just let the People decide

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Slavery side names. Gross.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's hoping they do.  The "un-personing" 1984 stuff is utter poison.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Bunch of DC city folk moved out 66 to Shenandoah and ran for county offices and positions. The locals have slowly voted them back out and are trying to fix what was done. Wife lived in the county for almost 10 years before we were married. Mexicans and Rednecks makeup most of Shenandoah County
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#8]
While I don't agree with erasing the statues/names for the sake of social justice.

As a "Yankee" I never understood the loyalty to getting 2nd place in the civil war.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Good news.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I don't agree with erasing the statues/names for the sake of social justice.

As a "Yankee" I never understood the loyalty to getting 2nd place in the civil war.
View Quote

The reason has probably changed with the generations. Now that the South is becoming an affluent manufacturing hub, while simultaneously turning into bland general America, it’s probably people hanging on to what made them distinctive.

Younger East Germans who never had to live under communism are the same way.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#11]
The woke movement fad artist have hit their high tide.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Guess they saw removing a few names didn't "fix everything"
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Psst.... You are now in Virginia.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bunch of DC city folk moved out 66 to Shenandoah and ran for county offices and positions. The locals have slowly voted them back out and are trying to fix what was done. Wife lived in the county for almost 10 years before we were married. Mexicans and Rednecks makeup most of Shenandoah County
View Quote

Sir, its hillbilly, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Here in Fairfax county they spend $500,000 to change a school name and then float a school bond referendum at the next election because they need more funds.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because we honor those who die in our wars. Americans who died in our wars. Confederate dead are American dead whether they were on the right or wrong side of the issue. These were American families and brothers against each other and they are interred in American cemeteries. The root word here is "American". They should not be discarded.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was their culture. You don't shit on your own people, especially when there was a decent chance that your own ancestors fought in the war. Now, the sad reality is that a lot of that native Virginian culture's been erased at this point anyway. Even if the old names were rolled back, little Afghani and Indian migrant children won't have any cultural resonance with it. They don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Because we honor those who die in our wars. Americans who died in our wars. Confederate dead are American dead whether they were on the right or wrong side of the issue. These were American families and brothers against each other and they are interred in American cemeteries. The root word here is "American". They should not be discarded.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just let the People decide

View Quote

]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You didn’t have to say anything else. That statement speaks volumes.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#23]

It would be be kick ass to go to Bruce Lee Elementary as a kid.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well said!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whenever anyone uses this argument now, I just tell them I agree whole heartedly, and that the American Indians lost too.

That usually shuts them up.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

1.) Virginia wanted to stay with the Union but joined after being told to kill South Carolinians.
2.) Lots of Confederate leaders trained at West Point, both sides knew each other personally.
3.) Reconstruction was designed to reunify the nation, Virginia has a lot of pride in our decision to enter the war to defend others.
4.) It is an important part of Virginian history, not necessarily national history. Which is why we care and you don't.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

1.) Virginia wanted to stay with the Union but joined after being told to kill South Carolinians.
2.) Lots of Confederate leaders trained at West Point, both sides knew each other personally.
3.) Reconstruction was designed to reunify the nation, Virginia has a lot of pride in our decision to enter the war to defend others.
4.) It is an important part of Virginian history, not necessarily national history. Which is why we care and you don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said sir..
Well said.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's to hoping we can take back the Commonwealth.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif

It's a function of getting out the vote.  Simple in concept but historically near impossible to achieve.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure that all makes sense.

But It tends to make less sense when you look into it.

example: "we have pride in our choices during the civil war as Virginians..........well except the black people slaves thing"

idk to me its kind of cherry picking.

I can respect honoring fallen soldiers regardless of what side they are on though just maybe not the ideals being fought for.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

example: "we have pride in our choices during the civil war as Virginians..........well except the black people slaves thing"

I can respect honoring fallen soldiers regardless of what side they are on though just maybe not the ideals being fought for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not cherry picking at all. Mosby captured a Union general by waking him up with back slaps and telling him to "get up fatty".

This enraged Grant, but it makes me smile.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#32]
https://www.battlefields.org/learn/biographies/john-singleton-mosby

Mosby's most famous raid occurred in March of 1863, inside Union lines at Fairfax County Courthouse, when he captured Brigadier General Edwin H. Stoughton. Mosby found Stoughton asleep in bed. Awakening the General with a slap to the rear, Mosby asked "Do you know Mosby, General?" The General replied "Yes! Have you got the rascal?" "No," said Mosby. "He's got you!"
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Restoring the names isn't going to fix anything either.

This is one of those areas where all I see are butthurt adults bickering over things that have little to nothing to do with their kids' education.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#35]
The only people that should get a say are the tax payers and parents in that district. Fuck left coast liberals.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is one of those areas where all I see are butthurt adults bickering over things that have little to nothing to do with their kids' education.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Teaching actual history is the foundation of a child's education.  Having that corrupted for political gain is not acceptable.  The wrong needs corrected in all ways.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Teaching actual history is the foundation of a child's education.  Having that corrupted for political gain is not acceptable.  The wrong needs corrected in all ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The name of a school has nothing to do with teaching history.

My kid's middle school was named after Mirabeau Lamar. That has fuck all to do with teaching Texas history.

Start prohibiting what can be taught and we have a problem. Personally, though, I have no problem with the name of the school being neutral and/or generic and not elevating the name of one man. Forget about that shit and leave the history debates to the classroom.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Rally ‘round the Virginians.

Yes I’m a proud son of Virginia.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ideals were that the central government had no constitutional authority to overstep its limited powers.

Northerners were equally as racist, most of them didn't want to be surrounded by, much less look at a black person. Hence why there was such a push to move the black population to Africa or the Caribbean.

The north did not fight to end slavery. And there is no law against secession, and no state would have ratified the Constitution in the late 18th century had any of them believed otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My kid's middle school was named after Mirabeau Lamar. That has fuck all to do with teaching Texas history.

Start prohibiting what can be taught and we have a problem. Personally, though, I have no problem with the name of the school being neutral and/or generic and not elevating the name of one man. Forget about that shit and leave the history debates to the classroom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that what you think - its just the name of a school?  What else should we allow the left to corrupt, and then rationalize it as being not important so leave it be?   What could have been done for students with the millions that were spent on artificially changing history?  What lesson can be imparted to students when they can observe adults fighting back against Marxism?  I think you have a static type of analysis going that misses quite a lot.   Ultimately it is the decision of that community to proceed as they think best, not you or me.  If I were in that community though, I would support the effort to right a wrong.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

It has a lot to do with it when funds are allocated for pandering to issues from 100 years ago and changing names instead of paying teacher more and having smaller class sizes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Slavery side names. Gross.
View Quote

Username appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  

the statues/names/etc aren't necessarily about loyalty or glorifying them. It's about history. It's about remembering what happened. There were leaders and people of prominence on both sides, to just wipe that away is to do a grave disservice to future generations.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Stop naming schools entirely. I'd rather more "truth in advertising".
Just call 'em Government Indoctrination Camp #12832304

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

]
View Quote
That was my elementary school actually. I know what I would pick.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll never understand how some Yankees do not realize their Republic lost that war also.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'll never understand how some Yankees do not realize their Republic lost that war also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are propagandized in school and never think about the issue critically.

Often falling into the "every Victor in war was the hero trap"

Things like this confuse and anger the northerner:

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The ideals were that the central government had no constitutional authority to overstep its limited powers.

Northerners were equally as racist, most of them didn't want to be surrounded by, much less look at a black person. Hence why there was such a push to move the black population to Africa or the Caribbean.

The north did not fight to end slavery. And there is no law against secession, and no state would have ratified the Constitution in the late 18th century had any of them believed otherwise.
View Quote

Lots to unpack there....

while its true the civil war was a fight the south wanted to win in support of "states rights" that "rights" was the right to have black people be slaves.....that is a hard side to support even IF I support smaller government and "no step on snek"

Yes, some Northerners in fact were racist and wanted slavery, its important to note Lincoln's party (republican party) wanted immediate emancipation.

absolutely not  a open and shut "one side was the good guys and other the bad guys" situation but there's a reason why people waving the "stars and bars" at lobby day were quietly told to put it TF away.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It has a lot to do with it when funds are allocated for pandering to issues from 100 years ago and changing names instead of paying teacher more and having smaller class sizes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of ironic, man.

Sounds like you're saying that no one should pander to those who make an issue out of slavery, Jim Crow, etc., but people should pander to those who make an issue out of Southern generals who succeeded and went to war with the federal government. All of these things happened long ago.

You have to realize that for some, including myself to an extent, restoring the names of schools to those of Confederates is nothing but pandering to a niche group and their Southern pride.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top