Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2015 9:32:47 AM EDT
Hey all, last night all of a sudden I lost water pressure.  It looks like my pressure tank isn't even getting any water which makes me think there's a problem with my well.  
I flipped the switch at my well in the house, flipped the breaker a few times, looked at the electrical box thing on the pressure tank and looked at the well outside.  It all "looks" fine.  

Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is or how to fix it or who I have to call.  It kind of sucks that its the weekend, so if its a simple problem I can fix myself that would be great because I need water.  Do I need to have a well guy come out?
I'm just not sure if the problem is with the well, the pressure tank, or the breaker or something else.   guess I need to find my electrical tester?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Test for voltage at the connections under the well cap.  Could just be a faulty connection there. If you have juice there but wellpump isn't running, pull the pump and check the wiring.  As the pump kicks on and off sometimes it will rub a spot through the wire jacket if it's touchhing the casing.  Get a friend or two to help pull the pump.

If no juice at the well cap, your problem is likely at the pressure switch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#2]
My well did the same thing two years ago.  My well was 23 years old and the pump had gone out.  $2700 dollar repair.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
A pressure tank is an accumulator. It hold pressure, so your pump does not need to cycle as much. Even when they fail, they don't eliminate all of the pressure in the system. They should just cause your pump to cycle more, since there is nothing there to help with the pressure.

Lack of pressure sounds like a pump. Also, look at check valves. These can fail and block the line.

Can you access your pump?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you check the pressure switch that turns the pump on/off?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point. There should be a lever to manually cycle the switch too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#6]
It could be the pump, the pressure switch, the control box, or the breakers for the well.  It could also be corrosion in the pipe going to the pressure switch.  If the tank goes bad and won't hold pressure(loses it's air buffer) it can burn out the switch, box, or pump due to the repeated on off cycles.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#7]
my pump, 60feet down, was killed by lightning strike once.....

if breaker good, pump power throw lever next to pressure tank(maybe) is good...then out to the well pipe!   call well pump guy to prove your pump is good?

good luck
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#8]
There should be a pressure gauge at the tank. Pressure switches are usually 40/60 which means they turn on at 40 lbs pressure and shut off at 60 lbs pressure. Turn off power to the pump. If you are below 40 lbs, when you turn the power on, you should hear a click from the pressure switch. If you don't, the switch is bad. If you do, the problem is your pump. I'm assuming your pump is in your well. The pump motor could be burned up (more likely) or the pump case has separated from the pump motor and is recycling the water in your well instead of delivering it to the house.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Your pressure switch, pull the cover,

The contacts (red arrows) - are they open or closed?

Shit's (likely) hot BTW
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#10]
So is the pump running but you don't have water pressure?

Or is the pump not even coming on at all?

If the pump is running but you don't have pressure, it sounds like the bladder in the tank is shot or it somehow lost all its air.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So is the pump running but you don't have water pressure?

Or is the pump not even coming on at all?

If the pump is running but you don't have pressure, it sounds like the bladder in the tank is shot or it somehow lost all its air.
View Quote

As noted by RDP above, the tank is not the issue. He'd still have water pressure, but the pump would cycle more often.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There should be a pressure gauge at the tank. Pressure switches are usually 40/60 which means they turn on at 40 lbs pressure and shut off at 60 lbs pressure. Turn off power to the pump. If you are below 40 lbs, when you turn the power on, you should hear a click from the pressure switch. If you don't, the switch is bad. If you do, the problem is your pump. I'm assuming your pump is in your well. The pump motor could be burned up (more likely) or the pump case has separated from the pump motor and is recycling the water in your well instead of delivering it to the house.
View Quote

If I turn on/off there is no noise whatsoever.  Not from the pressure switch or anything and the pressure gauge is at 0.   Looks like I need a new pressure switch maybe?
My voltage meter is at work so I'll have to run in and grab that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I turn on/off there is no noise whatsoever.  Not from the pressure switch or anything and the pressure gauge is at 0.   Looks like I need a new pressure switch maybe?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get your meter and check for power into the switch. If you have power, then the switch is probably bad. You can pick one up at Home Depot/Lowes etc. Make sure you get one that is set for the same pressures. While 40/60 is fairly normal, there are others (30/50, 20/40) available.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Turn off the breaker to your well and clean the points on your pressure switch, turn power back on.

Ants get smashed between the points and allow no electricity to pass, pretty common problem (well guy 25+ years experience)
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/plumbing/well/pressure_tank/pbwta43b.jpg

Shit's (likely) hot BTW
View Quote

IDK, looks like this.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit's (likely) hot BTW

IDK, looks like this.
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff392/Jcramer1911/3622EC2D-36B2-44A4-92F9-A9C1B4A25D3D.jpg

Is that with the power on or off?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Alright thanks a bunch
guys, I'll try cleaning everything up, if that doesnt work I'll grab my voltage meter and a new switch and hope that fixes it.  
How do I know what switch I need?  From watching my gauge before it seems like it kicks on at 20, but not real sure.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit's (likely) hot BTW

IDK, looks like this.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff392/Jcramer1911/3622EC2D-36B2-44A4-92F9-A9C1B4A25D3D.jpg

Switch is closed as it should be at o psi, try cleaning the points.  The points look good though.  Might be a problem with your control box if it is a 220V pump motor.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit's (likely) hot BTW

IDK, looks like this.

on
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#20]
pumps dead jim
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
pumps dead jim
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
pumps dead jim
View Quote

lol.  

I really hope not. (that sounds like the more expensive fix ?)
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit's (likely) hot BTW

IDK, looks like this.

on

When you turn the power off, those contacts should open.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check this first. I always keep an extra for emergencies. If it's not this it's either your pump or a wiring issue.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Take a look at Franklin electric.  Troubleshooting starts on page 40 I believe.  There's a lot of info in there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit's (likely) hot BTW

IDK, looks like this.

on

NO...WTF are you talking about those points are pressure based not power based for fuck sakes???

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#27]
whoever built my house buried the pressure tank in the dirt ..I had to dig that shit up with a shovel just to check it
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
NO...WTF are you talking about those points are pressure based not power based for fuck sakes???

View Quote

I'll defer to the pro.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#30]

lol.  well when I turn the switch they dont do anything, it does seem like the would be pressure based.  
There is definitely electricity running to that switch, as it gives me a nice buzz when I touch it so I dont think its my breaker.  Sounds like its the switch?    How do I know which switch I need?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'll defer to the pro.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll defer to the pro.

Looks by wire color you have a 120V pump and therefore no control box, if points on pressure switch are clean and you have power to the pressure switch and it is truly 120V which you can tell by the breaker being a single pole (120V) or double pole (220V) your proble is probably down the hole.

So which is it 220V or 120V??

I can tell if the PS has power by putting a tapping couple fingers on the screws to see if they are hot...you may want to use a meter instead.

ETA: manly way to check power to the PS..congrats

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

lol.  well when I turn the switch they dont do anything, it does seem like the would be pressure based.  
There is definitely electricity running to that switch, as it gives me a nice buzz when I touch it so I dont think its my breaker.  Sounds like its the switch?    How do I know which switch I need?
View Quote

It may be on the pressure tank. Or google the part number of the switch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When you decide to pull the pump, look on line for a couple of strategies for preventing dropping the pump, motor, and line into the bottom of the hole.  Do this early in the day and have the phone number for the well guys handy so they can come out early in the day to retrieve the gear and not ruin their Saturday evening.

Put two check valves in the line so a back up is available in case one fails.  Don't put them in backwards.

View Quote

I know my abilities and limitations.  Replacing a switch I'll do, messing the the pump/well I'll call I guy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I know my abilities and limitations.  Replacing a switch I'll do, messing the the pump/well I'll call I guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When you decide to pull the pump, look on line for a couple of strategies for preventing dropping the pump, motor, and line into the bottom of the hole.  Do this early in the day and have the phone number for the well guys handy so they can come out early in the day to retrieve the gear and not ruin their Saturday evening.

Put two check valves in the line so a back up is available in case one fails.  Don't put them in backwards.

99% of submersible pumps already have a check valve on the discharge head of the pump you only need one above ground between the well and the pressure tank...not two...rarely do check valves fail unless you buy the from Home Depot or Lowes.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Hire a pump guy to come out and fix it do not pull it yourself.  You don't have the proper equipment to do so and can easily hurt yourself or others.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#36]
If you have voltage at the pressure switch and at the well head then I'm leaning towards a dead pump.

I watched the guys replace my pump.  Next time I'm pretty confident I can change it myself with the help of two neighbors and a couple of 12' ladders.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Looks by wire color you have a 120V pump and therefore no control box, if points on pressure switch are clean and you have power to the pressure switch and it is truly 120V which you can tell by the breaker being a single pole (120V) or double pole (220V) your proble is probably down the hole.

I can tell if the PS has power by putting a tapping couple fingers on the screws to see if they are hot...you may want to use a meter instead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll defer to the pro.

I aint afraid of a little electricity, although I probably should be. ha
It is 220v

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

If you have voltage at the pressure switch and at the well head then I'm leaning towards a dead pump.

I watched the guys replace my pump.  Next time I'm pretty confident I can change it myself with the help of two neighbors and a couple of 12' ladders.

View Quote

I don't recommend anyone that isn't a well pump guy screw with changing their own pump sice most people don't even know how to check their underwater splices.  

Pumps I am doing now are 450hp 4KV set at 980' that push 935 gpm.  Just ordered 15 of them at about $700k a piece including phase shift, step down and step up transformers and VFD control panels with SCADA comms.

Let a pro do your pump.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

It is 220v

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll defer to the pro.

It is 220v

Then there should be a control box with with reset button on the bottom of it.  Try the button.  If that doesn't do it could be a bad start or run capacitor or a bad triad relay...you would be best served by calling a pump guy and paying him the $120 an hour to diagnose.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#41]
If you have a water softener,check the filter thats between the pressure tank and softener.

I had a prob with my well system,that was acting pretty close to your prob,a couple weeks ago.And it was the filter.Soaked in CLR for a few good minutes.Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Funny story, pulled a bad pump in the early afternoon, dropped of new pump pipe and wires late afternoon for an early morning install the next day.

Set the pump at about 600' finish up hit the power...no water and pump is drawing amps like it is dead headed (low amps)  chew my guys out for installing the check valve backwards down the hole.  Rule of thumb is one check valve for every 200' of drop pipe.

Pull the pump and a fucking gopher snake is packed into the check valve...how the fucker didn't fall out when hoisting pipe I'll never know.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

pumps dead jim

This
control box

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Funny story, pulled a bad pump in the early afternoon, dropped of new pump pipe and wires late afternoon for an early morning install the next day.

Set the pump at about 600' finish up hit the power...no water and pump is drawing amps like it is dead headed (low amps)  chew my guys out for installing the check valve backwards down the hole.  Rule of thumb is one check valve for every 200' of drop pipe.

Pull the pump and a fucking gopher snake is packed into the check valve...how the fucker didn't fall out when hoisting pipe I'll never know.
View Quote

ha damn.   its experiences like that that make us pros at our jobs.  If you done it ling enough you've seen (almost) everything.

Con-sol I really appreciate your help and time.  
Any way you can help me find this control box? I dont know what it is or what it looks like. I dont see anything with a reset button.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
ha damn.   its experiences like that that make us pros at our jobs.  If you done it ling enough you've seen (almost) everything.

Any way you can help me find this control box? I dont know what it is or what it looks like. I dont see anything with a reset button.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If your power feed to the pump is 220V there is a gray control box somewhere there with your pump gear.  If it is a 3hp or larger pump there will be a reset button on the bottom of the box.  Smaller pump will not have reset button.  All 220V 4" pump motors have a start & run capacitor and a triad relay that switches the power from the start capacitor to the run capacitor.

looks like this;

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#46]
The start capacitor is the big one and the run is the small one, usually the start capacitor is the one that goes out.  Before you touch it with the pwoer off use your screwdriver to short it out across the terminals (discharge it)  then with your digital or analog meter set it at 10k Ohms and test the two leads.

Should slowly increase resistance to show zero ohms or less than 500 ohms..capacitor is then good, if not capacitor is then bad and needs replacing.

Did you clean the points on your pressure switch real good like I told you?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#47]
thanks, I definitely don't think I have one of those.  There's not one anywhere in line from my breaker to the area where my well stuff is.  But at the breaker my pump is a 220v.
If you don't think my problem is my pressure switch I guess I'll try and get a hold of someone and have to be without water for a couple days.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Mine has a little black button on the bottom  of a gray box where the wires go in & out, last year the button which is a braker was blown, reset the button and I heard it start up, been going ever since.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep this will do it, the 1/4 pipe that connects it will plug up with rust, it happens every couple of years
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll defer to the pro.

Double pole switch so it is 240 volts.

OP also needs to check motor start and run capacitors which should be between switch and motor, on top sides.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top