Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/5/2023 8:34:38 AM EDT
Looking back, Michelle Matthews said she often internalized co-workers' comments about her weight. At one work lunch, a teammate remarked on how much she was eating. A higher-up told her she needed to "show up physically as a leader" after she failed to win a promotion.

It wasn't until the tech-product design director switched to remote work in 2020 that she grasped how much such slights had colored her office career.

"I didn't realize how much I was thinking about my physicality," said Matthews, 38, who describes herself as a big person. "It took up a lot of my mind."

Weight stigma is rarely talked about at work, but it pervades workplaces everywhere, employees and hiring managers say. Study after study shows heavier people are paid and promoted less than thinner colleagues and are often stereotyped as lazy or undisciplined. In a spring survey of more than 1,000 human-resources executives, 11% said an applicant's weight had factored into hiring decisions. Half of managers surveyed in a separate poll said they preferred interacting with "healthy-weight" employees, according to SHRM, the human resources professional network that conducted the surveys.

Now, as New York City and some states move to outlaw weight discrimination at work, companies are beginning to focus on the experience of overweight workers. Many managers are unprepared for the wave of complaints the legislation could bring, advocates for the laws say.  

Weight "is still not looked at from a [diversity and inclusion] perspective," says Jessica Richman, founder of the Visible Collective, a group that advises companies on supporting workers and consumers who are considered obese.

moar
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Being overweight is okay. Lizzo told me so.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Breaking!  People that are healthy, attractive, and intelligent will have an easier life.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Health insurance and airfare should charge by the pound.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Breaking!  People that are healthy, attractive, and intelligent will have an easier life.
View Quote

Sounds racist
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this true for both men and women?

As far as I can tell, GD has an unhealthy obsession with overweight women and hates thin, fit women.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]
...and are often stereotyped as lazy or undisciplined.
View Quote

Imagine that
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
This is making all of the GD fatties (and there are tons of them) very uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You forgot 'not crazy'.

BIGOT!
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Good health.  Good habits.  Good results

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a friend at my last job who was ridiculously good looking. Piercing baby blue eyes. Girls there were openly infatuated with him that would get dudes frog marched out the door by HR if the situation was reversed. He was competent at his job but was known to be lazy and consistently delivered projects late. When the yearly department review came up every girl, including the lesbian who told me she couldnt look away from his eyes, went to bat for him to keep him on the team.

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As far as I can tell, GD has an unhealthy obsession with overweight women and hates thin, fit women.
View Quote

@midcap
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No cankles anyway
View Quote

It's the little things.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Being fat is unprofessional.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#16]
There's always another law that needs to be passed about stupid shit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is making all of the GD fatties (and there are tons of them) very uncomfortable.
View Quote

There may be tons of them, but are there many?
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Being overweight is okay. Lizzo told me so.
View Quote

What about eating bananas out of Dutch sex worker's vajayjays?
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Being fat is unprofessional.
View Quote

This.

Also is an indicator of lack of self control and constant poor decision making.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I always said fat shaming was good because you were encouraging that person to become a better version of themself.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife at 50 was in FAR better shape then the typical 18 year old female is nowadays. At frankly, 18-25 is the peak for most females when it comes to physical appearance, it's downhill after that.

It's no different for most men, the age may be different and it may be longer but it is still inevitable for most. Like females, there are always outliers and those who absolutely do everything possible to extend it with cocktails of chemicals but even those will fail in the end.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fatness is the physical manifestation of severe character deficiencies.
View Quote

*or genetic
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I concur.  If they have to squat down with each foot on a 5-ton floor jack in order to have sex, then they are worshipped here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Seriously.  Has the study even been done about laziness and fat people?   We all see it, but it’s never been done.   And these fucks want us to believe it’s not true.  

Yea yea, we all know the one or two fat guys that are not lazy.  I’m speaking generally, not about one person.  

Of course, I doubt anyone would do this study.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I worked for a company that based how much your Health Insurance cost was based on how healthy you were. You got points for annual physical, Blood Pressure etc... but you made it or lost it on your bloodwork-Cholesterol, triglycerides, etc....

If you made top tier your annual insurance cost was only 1% of your salary.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Both correct.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I ca think of many overweight people I've worked with. I can only think of 1 I would hire.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#30]
No shit? Being a fat slob reflects poorly on you? Whoa.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#31]
In most cases, "a big guy" really means "a fat guy"

Rick C., a local radio personality, likes to call himself a "big guy" when he's playing enthusiastic pitch-man for whatever vapid crap he's flogging that day

5'-8" isn't "big"
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m intelligent enough to know I’m hefty and fugly.  Therefore I create systems and approaches that benefit me and compensate for the other two.  

The point being, if you’re gonna be lacking in any of those departments, it better not be in intelligence.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Fat people are a complete burden on society.

Our healthcare system teeters on collapse due to the constant costs of maintaining the fats everyday.

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#34]
As car manufacturers strive to cut every possible ounce out of car designs, think how much gas (or battery charge) a person can save over his/her/their lifetime by shedding a 100 lbs or so.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My wife at 50 was in FAR better shape then the typical 18 year old female is nowadays.
View Quote
June is prom and graduation season. Friends post lots of pics of their kids.
One thing I've noticed the last few years... almost all of the girls are overweight.
True, some of the boys are as well. However, it is almost all of the girls.

Fat girls are the rule now, not the exception. If you're girl who takes even halfway decent care of yourself, you could have any guy you want.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#36]
in other fat news:

Lizzo Sees Record Sales, Streaming Numbers Collapse in Wake of Sexual Harassment, Fat-Shaming Scandal

Among the allegations is the claim that Lizzo — who has consistently promoted her own obesity as beautiful and a form of empowerment — fat-shamed one of the dancers after she gained weight.

The dancers also claimed Lizzo took them to a strip club in Amsterdam where she allegedly had them take turns touching the nude performers, catching dildos launched from the performers’ vaginas, and eating bananas protruding from the performers’ vaginas.

The former tour dancers  — Arianna Davis, Crystal Williams, and Noelle Rodriguez — filed their complaint on Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Since then, Lizzo, who has denied the allegations, has seen her problems only worsen.

The attorney representing the three former tour dancers said he has been contacted by several more women who have similar accusations. In addition, a former documentary director for Lizzo has come forward saying she “walked away” after two weeks because of the singer’s behavior.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#37]
'Weight "is still not looked at from a [diversity and inclusion] perspective," says Jessica Richman, founder of the Visible Collective, a group that advises companies on supporting workers and consumers who are considered obese.'

Sounds like these people don't need a collective to be visible.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Stop being fat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Our healthcare system teeters on collapse due to the constant costs of maintaining the fats everyday.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Okay, now everyone post pics of themselves with their shirt off.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Good! We should not "normalize" being fat. Control your eating and get some exercise!
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What about eating bananas out of Dutch sex worker's vajayjays?
View Quote

Who ain't done that!?!

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Some people just don’t realize the gravity of their situation
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I agree.  Fat people are lazy and undisciplined.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Fat black and trans is the new trump card in tbe field of competitive victim identity?

Never saw it coming...
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Only 4% of elementary schools, 7% of middle schools and 2% of high schools have daily P.E. the entire school year.

22% of schools have no P.E. at all.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Okay, now everyone post pics of themselves with their shirt off.
View Quote

you're not the typical billy badass billionaire b**ma navy squeal GDer with the harem of hairless 20 year old yurpean supermodels, broseidon?
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Stop being fucking fat.

Pretty easy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Seriously.  Has the study even been done about laziness and fat people?   We all see it, but it’s never been done.   And these fucks want us to believe it’s not true.  

Yea yea, we all know the one or two fat guys that are not lazy.  I’m speaking generally, not about one person.  

Of course, I doubt anyone would do this study.
View Quote

To paraphrase another member, 'you can't out-exercise your fork'.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Stop being fucking fat.

Pretty easy.
View Quote

It is simple, but not always easy once you get addicted to the crap they try to pass off as food nowadays. It's even harder as you get older.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top