Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RAP IS CRAP

/thread
View Quote

I used to think that, but listening to some geto boys or nwa, it's actually pretty funny
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Am I doin it right?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Not 100% serious, but pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Blackster shit (that's black hipster) but its still catchy.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay last one for a little while, this is pretty "out there", and not what we would traditionally call rap/hip hop but its worth a listen.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Freestylin is best rap

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is good new rap if you know where to look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVOOwFNp5U
View Quote

This guy is pretty legit, I like!

Instagram straight flexin!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Buncha jive ass turkeys in here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I give you the epitomie of urban music these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHekn9KE18
View Quote

There's some good looking women in that vid.  

And then, there was Nicki.  

Gah.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is good new rap if you know where to look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVOOwFNp5U

The fuck is that bullshit???

Almost as queer as Macklymoore...

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Germane to Arfcom.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Illmatic ruined hip hop because nothing can stand up to it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Butthead said it best,  "What is this, Real Housewives of Detroit??"

Regardless, rap hasn't been the same since Tupac died.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't have a rap thread without Eminem. Macklemore is a pussy compared to Eminem. I listened to him religiously when I was 13, I'm surprised I didn't turn out messed up. My parents would have been pissed If they had found his cd's.

Old school slim shady.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I read an article that included writing from Macklemore. It was something about after a concert he found out a fan in attendance had a terminally ill friend in the hospital that was too sick to go to the concert. Macklemore went to the hospital and surprised the young fan, and hung out with him for quite awhile.

But it was Macklemore's writing that impressed me. He seems quite educated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can't have a rap thread without Eminem. Macklemore is a pussy compared to Eminem. I listened to him religiously when I was 13, I'm surprised I didn't turn out messed up. My parents would have been pissed If they had found his cd's.

http://youtu.be/NlmezywdxPI

http://youtu.be/LDj8kkVwisY                                                                                             Old school slim shady.
View Quote

QFT.  Eminem is probably one of the best of all time.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I got something for ya.

Riff Raff

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Mackelmore isn't gay.

Gangster shit rap is still out there (Wayne, Drake, Two Chainz, Gucci Mane, Rick Ross, etc) and it still sucks, but it exists.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd listen to Macklemore before I listened to that crap they try to pass off as country these days.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Tech is still on the scene too, and his shits' still awesome. One of the best shows I've ever been to also.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#31]
We've had threads about how Rock, Country, Blues, Classical, Jazz, Barbershop Quartets, Opera ain't what they used to be. All of which are indeed debatable, now there's one on Rap.  Maybe it's changed but it's still every bit as annoying now as it ever was.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I remember the Golden Age of rap well:

It just didn't get better than the Icy Hot Stuntaz.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mackelmore isn't gay.

Gangster shit rap is still out there (Wayne, Drake, Two Chainz, Gucci Mane, Rick Ross, etc) and it still sucks, but it exists.

View Quote

Drake's a nerd from middle class Canada, who was on Disney or similar as a kid.  Rick Ross is a former C.O. who now raps about being a drug king pin.

Buncha turds.  The others suck, too, but Drake and Rick Ross both have funny backgrounds to be rappers.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is rap. that other shit is just shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KutXyPEEbQs
View Quote

This^^^^

Also Macklemore thinks all conservatives suck and hates laws that allow you to protect yourself. Fuck him!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#35]
A classic from the DEEP DIRTY!

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Anybody remember Hurricane Chris. A Bay Bay A Bay Bay

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#37]
One of my favorites. Although I've never been to Cali.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#38]
"There's gonna be a lot of slow singin' and flower bringin' if my burglar alarm starts ringin'."

Classic.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I was at one of the "Up in Smoke" concerts, with some old friends of color. They had comped tickets from Calvin. They knew him from his early years. I didn't get to meet him, but being one of the 150 white people in the entire city block that night, I felt out of place. It was enjoyable from my view, although not really my style of music.

ETA; Had to delete the video due to boobies being shown. The song was Next Episode from the Up in Smoke tour. Sorry!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Rakim is laughing at what passes for rap these days.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure Macklemore isn't even gay.  Although I do admire his rise to fame and how his music is a complete 180 from every other rapper out there (which is probably a positive thing if you pay attention to everything else that is popular in rap).  At least he isn't pretending to be something he isn't like every other gangster rapper.
View Quote

This.  I generally despise rap but I have to admit Thrift Shop is pretty catchy and carries a halfway decent message under the F-bombs and S-bombs about being yourself and not like everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I like hip hop/rap as much as the next guy but to those saying Eminem is the best ever?

Wtf is so impressive about singing the same song about your mommy being a bitch on every album?

The only songs I find I like of his are where he has someone worthwhile singing the hook.

Maybe its just me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
1."Rap" and "hip hop" are slightly different genres with some overlap. "Gangsta Rap" died out in the 90's for the most part.

2. Macklemore is more hip hop than rap.

3. Macklemore is straight and engaged to his long time gf

4. Don't like it don't listen.

How does 1 song on his album about equality turn into his entire album being about dongs and coming out?

Did you happen to find something you liked and fixate on it?

If this is the most disturbing thing in your life I'd say you've got it pretty good.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Thread is not what I expected. I had planned on coming here and telling OP that he answered his own question-rap is shit. There are a lot more ARFCOMMERs who like rap than I would have guessed. So on that note, for your listening pleasure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thread is not what I expected. I had planned on coming here and telling OP that he answered his own question-rap is shit. There are a lot more ARFCOMMERs who like rap than I would have guessed. So on that note, for your listening pleasure.
View Quote

For the record, I listen to that stuff, too.

My playlists look like a meth-head ran through a record store just grabbing random shit.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My playlists look like a meth-head ran through a record store just grabbing random shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some rap is ok to me, my roommate listens to a lot of rap, most of it is fucking awful, but I do like some of it. But my personal music library is pretty homogenous.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Some rap is ok to me, my roommate listens to a lot of rap, most of it is fucking awful, but I do like some of it. But my personal music library is pretty homogenous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got playlists that go from Biggie, to Slipknot, to Journey, to Dave Matthews Band, to Skrillex.

But yeah, some rap is shit.  Just like some country is shit, some rock is shit, some metal is shit, etc, etc.  As far as rap goes, I like older stuff.  Mid-90's and earlier.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Real rappers spit about misplaced pending gun legislation due to gang on gang violence restricting legal gun owners and the effect on 2nd amendment rights.

Bear in mind this song came out in 1992.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHtSSSLn9E8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iobEgEP5hJY  
View Quote

Did some carpet work in the apartments he lived in on Yesler in Seattle (made sure I packed my heater that day) Saw a thing on Mtv  about a year later where he drove by those apartments and said "I use to live in these apartments, but I won't even get out of my car in this neighborhood now"   Didn't seem that big of deal compared to Hill Top in Tacoma in the late 80's when the Crips and Bloods were fighting for drug territory, now that shit was crazy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Caught Cyprus Hill at San Diego Street scene in IIRC 2004.

They put on a freaking amazing live show.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top