BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only decent grade of chili powder is homemade.  

Though I have been known to use a little Gebhardts to start things off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"There are many cities that claim to be the birthplace of chili, but it was born on the cattle trails of Texas. This will be a big surprise for a lot of you, but real Texas chili does NOT have beans or chunks of tomato. I say that to say this; If you want to experience what early cowboys of Texas experienced then follow this recipe."

http://www.food.com/recipe/chili-real-texas-chili-123316

Food.com
End of discussion.

Its like pre-k in here.  Its OK to acknowledge you prefer Chili with beans without losing your minds.
Why the fuck are there no chiles in that chili?  

Is it the training version?

And while I prefer added fresh peppers, its assumed that you'd use a decent grade of chili powder, which has the balls enough for a basic recipe.
The only decent grade of chili powder is homemade.  

Though I have been known to use a little Gebhardts to start things off.

Which isn't hard to make, quite easy really including growing the peppers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Y'all gonna make me fire up the chili pot this weekend.
View Quote

I'm kinda thinking the same thing. You have any fig newtons or jello I can borrow for mine?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm kinda thinking the same thing. You have any fig newtons or jello I can borrow for mine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but I do have a jar of kimchi.  Gives it that 'twang' that makes it a real treat!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No, but I do have a jar of kimchi.  Gives it that 'twang' that makes it a real treat!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds great. I can add some donut sprinkles!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Custard filled chili!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer a side dish of black Eyed or purple hull peas topped with chow chow or whatever that magical stuff is.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Hoping we have chili tomorrow.

With Beans.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just finished eating chili left-overs for lunch.  With Beans and cheese.  GA transplant to TX.
View Quote

Yep me to
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I prefer a side dish of black Eyed or purple hull peas topped with chow chow or whatever that magical stuff is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sir, you must put it IN the chili or it's just meat sauce. Didn't you read the thread?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Beans
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What the fuck is with arfcom and chili??

Outside of Frito pies and hot dogs at a fairs and football games I've never seen the nasty shit.  

Born, raised, lived in Texas all my life.  NOBODY fucking makes chili.  NOBODY fucking eats chili.  NOBODY fucking talks about chili.  NOBODY fucking wants chili.

View Quote

you just never asked me about it, else i'd have told you
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#12]
You should probably get out of your basement and live life.....

Chili has NO BEANS, Beans are added for the poor man to get substance to his chili without breaking the bank. Real chili was made with MEAT!

I made some chili the other night on the grill, Everyone who tried it said it was hands down the best chili they've ever ate and in fact one guy told me I should start selling it.

(I call it "Smokey Bacon Bison Chili", Yes it has both Bacon, and Bison meat in it)
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No sir, you must put it IN the chili or it's just meat sauce. Didn't you read the thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chow chow isn't chilli.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Holy Jesus, what is that? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT??? Who's the slimy little Communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker here who puts sour cream on CHILI???
You don't?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Holy Jesus, what is that? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT??? Who's the slimy little Communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker here who puts sour cream on CHILI???
You don't?  

LOL no.  Pour that on some lettuce and tortilla chips and it would be a great taco salad but it ain't chili.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You'll cry afterward.
View All Quotes
It would be worth it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#16]
beans
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Chow chow isn't chilli.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chow chow isn't chilli.

It is if you put beans in it..

Dammit, now I want chow chow and black eyed peas.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Thread has inspired me to push up a challenge I was thinking about doing anyway.  I'll have to find some time in the next couple of weeks.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chow chow isn't chilli.

What the fuck, is that some kind of album?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I am staunch defender of the term "Chili" which has no beans, however I am not a elitist prick and accept there is nothing wrong with Chili with beans.  Its easier to feed a family on.  But lets call a spade a spade.
Chili.
Chili with beans.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am staunch defender of the term "Chili" which has no beans, however I am not a elitist prick and accept there is nothing wrong with Chili with beans.  Its easier to feed a family on.  But lets call a spade a spade.
Chili.
Chili with beans.
View Quote

My problem isn't really with the beans. It's mostly with the "chili" that the bean lovers insist on adding their beans to.The beans are usually the least egregious thing about it. 

Almost without exception, a "beaner" recipe goes a little something like this:

Cook some diced onion and bell pepper in olive or vegetable oil. Add lean ground beef (or ground pork, or ground turkey, or...), and brown that for a bit. Throw in some tomatoes and/or a tomato product of some kind. Often from a can, but sometimes fresh. Whole peeled, crushed, diced...or sometimes a combination of the three. Oh, and don't forget the tomato sauce. Or paste. Or both. Next up, comes the spices and seasonings. Typically this will include teaspoon or less amounts of thinks like cumin, oregano, basil, turmeric...stuff like that. Oh and don't forget to add a tablespoon or two of McCormick chili powder for heat. Fancy folks might even add red wine vinegar or something. Throwing a bottle of beer in there is common to give it a liquid to simmer in.

Sound about right?

I'm going to stop there. Note that I haven't mentioned beans yet. I don't need to. Here's the problem with these discussions:

That bullshit "chili" I just enumerated? That pot of fuckery ain't chili. I don't know what the fuck it is, but it sure as shit ain't chili. And if I add a can of kidney beans beans to that abortion, it still ain't...fuckin'...chili. One more time, the CuntHammer who assembled that vile affront to all that is good and holy in his kitchen has not made a pot of chili. And it still won't be a pot of chili if he adds beans to it. The beans (or lack thereof) are the least egregious part of that pot 'o fail. You want to talk about missing the forest for the trees? Because this is how you miss the forest for the trees. 

The problem with these discussions, is people usually talk past each other. The problem is that somebody who's looking at an actual, honest to God bowl of proper red (often, but not always a Texan) says "Why would you add beans to this? I don't get it". And he's right. And somebody else looks at the bullshit concoction I just described earlier (not chili) and says "Why would somebody make this without adding beans?" And he's right too. It also probably needs beans, carrots, corn, celery and a bunch of other bullshit too, before it's worth eating. I get it. I really do. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That pot of fuckery ain't chili.
View Quote

Well said. Correctly stated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That pot of fuckery ain't chili.

It's part of why yankees calling actual chili made with ingredients like actual chilis "spaghetti sauce" because it doesn't have flavorless beans in it is so damn hilarious.

Might as well listen to virgins talking about sex.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Let's say you grew up your whole life making, ordering and eating burgers, which were developed wherever you fictionally grew up.  The burger of your youth was a simple, but good affair:  Quality bun, good meat, thick sliced cheese, fresh lettuce, fresh sliced tomato, mayo.

Then you read online about other people making what they call burgers.  It's similar, with a bun, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo....but they add a drop of Worcestershire sauce to the meat when making patties.  You mention that you grew up where they invented burgers, and had never put Worcestershire  in with the meat.  They respond that if you don't add the W, it isn't actually a burger.  In fact, what you're eating may as well be a grilled cheese sandwich.

This would be confusing enough, but as you dig more, you find out that most of the people telling you your burger isn't actually a burger at all make veggie burgers...they're adding a drop of Worcestershire sauce into their black bean vegan patty, and claiming that theirs is actually a burger and yours isn't.  Even worse, they're using buns bought from Walmart, their cheese is that nasty processed single packaged shit kids use to make actual grilled cheese sandwiches, and they're using canned tomatoes instead of fresh sliced.

You can understand how someone who grew up in the place where burgers first became a "thing" would be confused by a bunch of black bean vegan patty, processed shit ingredient using people telling him his burger was actually a grilled cheese sandwich that sucked and their vegan burgers were the only real burger.  You might even feel sympathy for these poor folks, who obviously wouldn't know a good burger if it came to life and chocked them to death with their own Worcestershire sprinkled vegan black bean burger.  

Similarly, Texans have struggled to bring enlightenment to those poor fools that think any of the following:

1) that chili without beans is "hot dog/spaghetti sauce" (which makes me feel bad not only for their never having good chili, but apparently good spaghetti either).
2) that a teaspoon of dried generic chili powder from the store is a suitable amount of "spices"
3) that ground beef in a tube is an acceptable starting point for chili meat
4) that canned anything makes chili "good".
5) that beans magically add "flavor" to anything

It's less that we're bothered by the beans themselves, and more that if someone insists chili has to have beans, you know they've probably never made chili that didn't have the following ingredients: ground beef, a small amount store bought chili powder, canned beans.  Hopefully someday they can try actual chili and be enlightened.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My problem isn't really with the beans. It's mostly with the "chili" that the bean lovers insist on adding their beans to.The beans are usually the least egregious thing about it. 

Cook some diced onion and bell pepper in olive or vegetable oil. Add lean ground beef (or ground pork, or ground turkey, or...), and brown that for a bit. Throw in some tomatoes and/or a tomato product of some kind. Often from a can, but sometimes fresh. Whole peeled, crushed, diced...or sometimes a combination of the three. Oh, and don't forget the tomato sauce. Or paste. Or both. Next up, comes the spices and seasonings. Typically this will include teaspoon or less amounts of thinks like cumin, oregano, basil, turmeric...stuff like that. Oh and don't forget to add a tablespoon or two of McCormick chili powder for heat. Fancy folks might even add red wine vinegar or something. Throwing a bottle of beer in there is common to give it a liquid to simmer in.

Sound about right?

I'm going to stop there. Note that I haven't mentioned beans yet. I don't need to. Here's the problem with these discussions:

That bullshit "chili" I just enumerated? That pot of fuckery ain't chili. I don't know what the fuck it is, but it sure as shit ain't chili. And if I add a can of kidney beans beans to that abortion, it still ain't...fuckin'...chili. One more time, the CuntHammer who assembled that vile affront to all that is good and holy in his kitchen has not made a pot of chili. And it still won't be a pot of chili if he adds beans to it. The beans (or lack thereof) are the least egregious part of that pot 'o fail. You want to talk about missing the forest for the trees? Because this is how you miss the forest for the trees. 

The problem with these discussions, is people usually talk past each other. The problem is that somebody who's looking at an actual, honest to God bowl of proper red (often, but not always a Texan) says "Why would you add beans to this? I don't get it". And he's right. And somebody else looks at the bullshit concoction I just described earlier (not chili) and says "Why would somebody make this without adding beans?" And he's right too. It also probably needs beans, carrots, corn, celery and a bunch of other bullshit too, before it's worth eating. I get it. I really do. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chili.
Chili with beans.

Sound about right?

I am in complete agreement with that statement.  I'll go so far as to allow a recipe to be called "Chili with beans" if its an actual Chili recipe with simply beans added.
Anything beyond is some sort of yankee stew.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sound about right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chili.
Chili with beans.

Sound about right?

WHOA WHOA...carrying that lone star flag on your back kind of soon aint ya Buckeye?  

I am of the belief that both with beans and without are good in their own ways.  Admittedly different animals but both are tasty and delicious for their own reasons.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Chili has NO BEANS, Beans are added for the poor man to get substance to his chili without breaking the bank. Real chili was made with MEAT!

I made some chili the other night on the grill, Everyone who tried it said it was hands down the best chili they've ever ate and in fact one guy told me I should start selling it.

(I call it "Smokey Bacon Bison Chili", Yes it has both Bacon, and Bison meat in it)
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/342c6ea7-eb06-4e9d-929f-7bf5bd849492_zps6bdfcshl.jpg
View Quote

I hope that green shit is Jalapenos.

I will say I made a pot with a pound of 80/20 ground beef on top of the diced chuck and it was an outstanding addition.  I did not brown it first, just threw it in the pot to liquefy so it didn't do that bullshit-clump up that ground meat usually does in chili and stews.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

WHOA WHOA...carrying that lone star flag on your back kind of soon aint ya Buckeye?  

I am of the belief that both with beans and without are good in their own ways.  Admittedly different animals but both are tasty and delicious for their own reasons.
View Quote

He was a proponent of actual chili before he got here.

I've made Cincinnati 5 way "chili", using a recipe provided by subnet.  I've had what Texans call chili and what yankees call "chili".  

Wonder how many folks calling chili without beans "spaghetti sauce" have ever tasted anything that wasn't ground turkey, canned tomatoes, canned beans and store bought chili powder.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What the fuck is with arfcom and chili??

Outside of Frito pies and hot dogs at a fairs and football games I've never seen the nasty shit.  

Born, raised, lived in Texas all my life.  NOBODY fucking makes chili.  NOBODY fucking eats chili.  NOBODY fucking talks about chili.  NOBODY fucking wants chili.

View Quote

<----born and raised in Arkansas, moved to Texas as soon as I could......and this may be the most ignorant post by a Texan I've read yet.

I see chili on menu's everywhere........Chili's might be the easiest and most obvious. (you DO know why it's named Chili's and not Chile's don't you?) FOR FUCKS SAKE OP............EFFING WENDY'S serves fucking awful chili with beans at their drive thru at every effing Wendy's in Texas.

Right next to the canned soup at any grocery store will be ten shelf feet of...........canned chili, including chili with beans for the children and foreigners.
Every grocery store has fresh beef in the meat case either cubed as "chili meat" or ground as a rough grind "chili meat".
I can name ten Baptist churches that serve chili every Wednesday night.

If you haven't seen, heard or don't know anyone who eats chili then you need to get out of the basement.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#30]
OP never ever served in the Armed Forces. That's ok, don't eat it, your choice, but don't put people down because they do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I've made Cincinnati 5 way "chili", using a recipe provided by subnet.  I've had what Texans call chili and what yankees call "chili".  

Wonder how many folks calling chili without beans "spaghetti sauce" have ever tasted anything that wasn't ground turkey, canned tomatoes, canned beans and store bought chili powder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get reasonable chili powder in grocery stores, at least around here.  Not great but reasonable.  It comes in plastic bags and you mix your own from different kinds of peppers.  You can also get dried peppers of various kinds and grind it yourself, same plastic bags.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I assume youre talking about chili with beans, as without, its not chili
View Quote

Chili (beans) vs meat stew
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume youre talking about chili with beans, as without, its not chili

Chili is a lot thicker than stew, you should be able to pick it up off a plate and eat it with pieces of tortilla.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Who the hell doesn't like chili (w/ beans), especially in winter time?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Who the hell doesn't like chili (w/ beans), especially in winter time?
View Quote

Because if you've had it without made right, you'd understand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I <3 you. No homo.

Well, maybe a little homo...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's say you grew up your whole life making, ordering and eating burgers, which were developed wherever you fictionally grew up.  The burger of your youth was a simple, but good affair:  Quality bun, good meat, thick sliced cheese, fresh lettuce, fresh sliced tomato, mayo.

Then you read online about other people making what they call burgers.  It's similar, with a bun, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo....but they add a drop of Worcestershire sauce to the meat when making patties.  You mention that you grew up where they invented burgers, and had never put Worcestershire  in with the meat.  They respond that if you don't add the W, it isn't actually a burger.  In fact, what you're eating may as well be a grilled cheese sandwich.

This would be confusing enough, but as you dig more, you find out that most of the people telling you your burger isn't actually a burger at all make veggie burgers...they're adding a drop of Worcestershire sauce into their black bean vegan patty, and claiming that theirs is actually a burger and yours isn't.  Even worse, they're using buns bought from Walmart, their cheese is that nasty processed single packaged shit kids use to make actual grilled cheese sandwiches, and they're using canned tomatoes instead of fresh sliced.

You can understand how someone who grew up in the place where burgers first became a "thing" would be confused by a bunch of black bean vegan patty, processed shit ingredient using people telling him his burger was actually a grilled cheese sandwich that sucked and their vegan burgers were the only real burger.  You might even feel sympathy for these poor folks, who obviously wouldn't know a good burger if it came to life and chocked them to death with their own Worcestershire sprinkled vegan black bean burger.  

Similarly, Texans have struggled to bring enlightenment to those poor fools that think any of the following:

1) that chili without beans is "hot dog/spaghetti sauce" (which makes me feel bad not only for their never having good chili, but apparently good spaghetti either).
2) that a teaspoon of dried generic chili powder from the store is a suitable amount of "spices"
3) that ground beef in a tube is an acceptable starting point for chili meat
4) that canned anything makes chili "good".
5) that beans magically add "flavor" to anything

It's less that we're bothered by the beans themselves, and more that if someone insists chili has to have beans, you know they've probably never made chili that didn't have the following ingredients: ground beef, a small amount store bought chili powder, canned beans.  Hopefully someday they can try actual chili and be enlightened.  

I <3 you. No homo.

Me too
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Me too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I <3 you. No homo.

Me too

The only homo thing would be if you put flavorless beans in otherwise good chili.  That's pretty gay.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I will say I made a pot with a pound of 80/20 ground beef on top of the diced chuck and it was an outstanding addition.  I did not brown it first, just threw it in the pot to liquefy so it didn't do that bullshit-clump up that ground meat usually does in chili and stews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/342c6ea7-eb06-4e9d-929f-7bf5bd849492_zps6bdfcshl.jpg

Peppers yes,  jalapeños no.

I don't often use ground meats, but this chili is great with it, especially since all I could find was Ground Bison meat in my area.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top