Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]
They are both good movies but I liked tombstone better.  Wyatt Earp just seemed to drag along.
Kurt Russell all the way.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 5:34:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Russell, followed by Burt Lancaster.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I prefer Russell's Tombstone version over Costners.

Its all academic considering Kilmers Doc Holiday performance elipsed eclipsed everything else.

There, fixed it for ya..

+1

Costner is the SAME character in every role, the only thing that changes is the wardrobe.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought they both did a great job...........but I am partial to TOMBSTONE!!!

"Tell Em I'm Coming!....And HELL'S comin with me you hear!....HELL'S COMIN WITH ME!"
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Tombstone proves Russell is the man for the role

coincidentally - or maybe not- Costner as Wyatt Earp is on right now (TNT- Sunday AM 7:00 -11:00)
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Personally I think Tombstone is one of the best movies in my collection.

Ditto.  Russell's Earp blows Costner's out of the water. The whole cast of that movie was better. Kilmer was great as holiday & Sam Elliott is always top-notch.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Costner acted more like Wyatt Earp would have been. Russel looked more like Wyatt Earp. and Val Kilmer was to pretty to be Jon "doc" Holiday. Tombstone was way to hollywood. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#8]
So Strange...I was just watching this movie this Saturday night...great minds truly think alike.

I preferred Russell in Tombstone, because he looked more like Earp, and also because he showed some humor when there was some to be shown. Sam Elliot and Bill Paxton were also very well-cast for their roles. Costner never smiled convincingly even once in Wyatt Earp, and his brothers were barely mentioned.

Costner is learning to act as part of a CAST, by the way...Open Range, though long on plot and character development, was outstanding. I haven't seen Costner act so well in a movie where he wasn't the central character since Silverado (which for a pure "Western" Western, has got to be one of the most fun movies ever made.). The Untouchables was a good movie, which Sean Connery (quietly and justly) stole, but it couldn't have been any further from the truth. Elliot Ness was not a role model in real life.

Costner is a fine actor in role written for or suited to his being the main character, and showed himself as  smart enough to get himself out that rut. Look for great things from him in the future.

Looking back on Tombstone, Kilmer's Holiday was perfect. He was robbed of a nomination for that role.

"Look Darlin', that there is Johnny Ringo, the fastest pistoleer ever..."
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I was watching Tombstone yesterday on cable.  I thought when Earp was confronting Billy Bob Thornton's character was one of Russells' best scenes. He clearly had the man beat but he was still smacking him around trying to get him to draw on him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Kurt Russell definately!  Tombstone rocks!  But like another said-Val Kilmer was the best in that movie!

"Your a daisy if ya do."
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Costner....Russell is generic....very generic....
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Wathing TNT this morning are we?
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I like Kurt's better.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top