Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]

RG is a German manufacturer of really crappy pistols.  They are even worse than Jennings or Hi Point
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
worse than hi point??? I didn't think that was possible
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I am partial to the PPK. This one is Interarms Walther circ. 1991

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes.  A lot worse.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oooh, yes. Hi-Points are clunky as hell and weigh a ton, but they do work. They're actually fairly reliable.

RG's are cheap potmetal junk, and they're about as reliable as a Jennings/Lorcin/Raven/Whatever...
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
HK4 in .380

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]

I love me some H&K's...they have an ability to make something that by standards should be ugly, but it's beautiful

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my 230 in 95 and it is still one of my favorite pistols. Never jammed, amazing trigger, and a real joy to shoot. I taught quite a few new shooters on it as well. Great gun, you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I love me some H&K's...they have an ability to make something that by standards should be ugly, but it's beautiful

Had one of those a LOOOONNNNNGGGG time ago....firing pin broke.   Traded it on one of the early Delta Elites.    Long enough ago I can't remember how it shot.

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
i have no experience with the sig, but the ppk/s in .380 was just a miserable gun to shoot.  maybe it's a subjective thing, but i hated that gun more than any other pistol i've ever touched.  maybe i had a badly tuned one, but FTE stovepipes were constant.  the noise from that short barrel is insane, and there's so little mass that the thing snapped like a .357...with itty bitty 9mm kurtz.  

i dunno.  it's a bad craftsman who blames his tools, but i have no problem with that as long as i never have to touch a ppk/s again.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I don't think the sig comes in anything other than .380

the P230s did

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Which one would you choose and why? I know there's some debate about the german/interarms/S&W walthers but I'm only looking at a S&W version as that's what they have locally. The ppk has the bond cool factor, but besides that, is there much difference or reason to pick one over the other?  

No experience with the PPK's, but I have had a P232 as a main carry gun for the last 10 years and like it quite a bit. Pocket pistol it is not, but it's small enough to have a "real gun" on a summer day IWB.

What I like about it: It is a simple "pull it out and pull the trigger" gun to operate under stress, takes down easily, it is light, has a great SA trigger and very good sights. There is something about Sig's trigger and sights that I have always shot well on other people's guns but the grips are freaking huge on the double stacks they make. The P232 is as accurate as any handgun I have, 100 yard shots 2 out of three times on a silhouette are no problem.

What I don't like:

Mags are expensive, and the plastic floorplates break when you drop the gun. They don't sell the backplates separately either.
It's only a .380.... I always thought it would be enough gun until I the one day I needed it, then it felt awfully small in my hands. Really gave me pause for thought after everything cooled down.
I wish the grip were a little thinner, but I have to admit it fills my hand well.
It's easy to lose the slide stop spring if you aren't careful when disassembling the gun if you bump the stop, it shoots off for parts unknown.

Overall the P232 is a fine choice for carry-I've never had a single problem with mine
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 230 and a PPK (one of the newer ones by S&W, not a PPK/S.)  The Sig has a better trigger, but is slightly larger, while the PPK gets the nod for size (it has done duty as an ankle gun,) as well as accuracy––-the PPK is one tack-driving little pistol.  Hitting a golf ball at 25 yards is no sweat at all.  Of course, the PPK is also preferred by me if I need to carry a .380 as a backup because I have exactly zero clue where the mags for the 230 are......  I ain't shot the 230 in years.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

RG is a German manufacturer of really crappy pistols.  They are even worse than Jennings or Hi Point

Yeah, they are pretty crappy––––though they can be better than nothing: back in the late '80s my grandmother used a .22 short RG revolver against a pair of home invaders in Jackson MS.  While neither of them went down or were caught, there was some blood where she was shooting, and they did leave her apartment with some alacrity.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they are pretty crappy––––though they can be better than nothing: back in the late '80s my grandmother used a .22 short RG revolver against a pair of home invaders in Jackson MS.  While neither of them went down or were caught, there was some blood where she was shooting, and they did leave her apartment with some alacrity.

RG .38's are not that bad (if you have nothing else).

They are like Hi-Points...

They are cheap, they have a bad finish, BUT... They do work.

Just Sayin'.

YMMV
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top