BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brother,  if you're worried about price then .338 is NOT for you.  Those things shoot $5  bills.
View Quote
For those who want 338 LM performance or better for less money look at 300 rum loading the Berger 230 gr. hybred....also when you rebarreled you can go to what is 338 edge, a 300 rum necked up to 338..it is about 100-200 fps faster then LM.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The TRG is the answer to your question.  But if you have to cut the price down.

LINK TO PRICE UNDER 3K
NESIKA FIREARMS

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The TRG is the answer to your question.  But if you have to cut the price down.

http://www.nesikafirearms.com/img/tactical_01.jpg

LINK TO PRICE UNDER 3K
NESIKA FIREARMS

View Quote
That looks really nice.  Any details on how they shoot? I haven't heard of Nesika before.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For those who want 338 LM performance or better for less money look at 300 rum loading the Berger 230 gr. hybred....also when you rebarreled you can go to what is 338 edge, a 300 rum necked up to 338..it is about 100-200 fps faster then LM.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/image-184594.JPG
View Quote
@AKSnowRider

Can you find brass for it though as I struck out?  If so I have a link to send the OP for a SMOKING deal on a 300RUM that is less than half of his budget and would be an awesome rifle.

ETA: Found some of course now...OP...IM inbound!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Plate didn't even stay on the stand.

Like I said I think the test method is flawed.

You make a product that is supposed to save lives and the test method looks like a Wile E. Coyote experiment = not much confidence.

Buy all you want but that shit looks too funky for me to believe it's reliable.
View Quote
Just for the record, I bought a blem and placed it on the a dirt incline. It was shot 16 times at less than 50 feet with 5.56 with no penetrations. Do whatever you like. I would imagine that multiple tons of energy had a lot to do with knocking the armor off the stand.
Do you have much experience with big caliber shooting?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@AKSnowRider

Can you find brass for it though as I struck out?  If so I have a link to send the OP for a SMOKING deal on a 300RUM that is less than half of his budget and would be an awesome rifle.

ETA: Found some of course now...OP...IM inbound!!!
View Quote
I haven't had to buy any brass for years, of course I must have a 1000-1500 cases total...I've been shooting this round since Remington released it. So does my son and some hunting buddies...but our local cabelas normally has it on the shelf most of the time..Besides factory brass, Hornaday makes brass as well...word is Hornaday doesn't hold up as good..not sure, since I haven't used any of it and Rem brass as held up fine unless I push it right to the limits, then I see primer pockets loosen up quick..
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File
Quoted:

That looks really nice.  Any details on how they shoot? I haven't heard of Nesika before.
View Quote
I only know little about them, but I have handled two different rifles and both appeared to be very well made 700s.  The actions are made by Nesika in house, and the barrels are Douglas blanks that they finish and mount.  The actions glide very well.

I would have no problem convincing myself to buy one if I was trying to keep it under 3k.  But I prefer the Fin product.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just for the record, I bought a blem and placed it on the a dirt incline. It was shot 16 times at less than 50 feet with 5.56 with no penetrations. Do whatever you like. I would imagine that multiple tons of energy had a lot to do with knocking the armor off the stand.
Do you have much experience with big caliber shooting?
View Quote
How spendy is a blemish? Someday If I can spare the money would like to try punishing one with the old 300RUM and a few different rounds like this old Barnes solid....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How spendy is a blemish? Someday If I can spare the money would like to try punishing one with the old 300RUM and a few different rounds like this old Barnes solid....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/image-184649.JPG
View Quote
I got it for $40.00 a few years ago but now I can't even find the business i bought them from.

eta: the non blems are here
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got it for $40.00 a few years ago but now I can't even find the business i bought them from.
View Quote
j
Damn, that's not bad, of course would cost more then that just to ship it up here...
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]
There are far less expensive options then 338lm. For instance, a custom 700 build on a chassis could likely be pulled off for 2k ish. Going with a caliber like 7saum you would get excellent performance past 1500yards and not be in the 5$ a shot range. I don't know anyone with a 338 who actually shoots theirs anymore after using other newer ELR offerings.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are far less expensive options then 338lm. For instance, a custom 700 build on a chassis could likely be pulled off for 2k ish. Going with a caliber like 7saum you would get excellent performance past 1500yards and not be in the 5$ a shot range. I don't know anyone with a 338 who actually shoots theirs anymore after using other newer ELR offerings.
View Quote
You must not know too many shooters. Many of us have bought .338's recently and shoot regularly past 1200m. Reloads are not bad at under $2/ea.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Savage also makes one with an aluminum tactical chassis - 110 BA Stealth.

I have not taken the time to develope loads for it.  I do not recall if I put the brass on backorder or not - but I did that at the time with other reloading supplies.  All the various powder, bullets, and brass showed up within a month or so anyway.  Yes the brass is expensive - but more for the quality than for the caliber.  Lapua made brass does cost more than Hornady, and Starline, theand pretty much anybody elses. 

I did buy some "cheep" blasting ammo - it was $3 a round or so.  It is not shooting 1moa, but is shooting well enough to make me believe the rifle has promise.  The muzzle brake is very effective, with the rifle having fairly minimal recoil - which is pretty much the norm these days.  Only one thing that does frustrate me with the rifle/caliber is that while a magnum round, it is not legal to hunt with universally - so safari's for this one.  Likewise would need to check to see if other odd laws ban it elsewhere - as it is evil, and black, with military features such as a detachable magazine, adjustable stock and a muzzle brake.  Oh that and it is large - larger than common for a hunting rifle.  It fits ok in the safe, but is long and heavy enough that I usually grab something less - which in this case is probably anything else that actually fits in the safe (it is my largest safe dweller I think).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top