BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You think asking them to replace my barrel is overboard? Gun was less than a month old and had about 40 rounds through it...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't un-ring a bell.  When good barrels leave they don't come back.

You think asking them to replace my barrel is overboard? Gun was less than a month old and had about 40 rounds through it...

Not at all, someone messed up here and they owe you a new barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm now so glad I didn't get around to ordering any of that ammo, I've seen it advertised on several sites and I almost pulled the trigger on some.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
OST
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm now so glad I didn't get around to ordering any of that ammo, I've seen it advertised on several sites and I almost pulled the trigger on some.
View Quote

Yea I hope guys mostly stacked it deep and didn't run it through their SCAR-H which is currently sitting in their safe...
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad ruined a mini 14 barrel back In the early 2000's shooting some random plan generic marked russian steel case ammo through it and putting it back in the safe without cleaning it for a few months. If ammo is not packaged in a name brand company box, a couple hot tap water soaked patches through the bore before cleaning as usual. I always check my guns a few days after shooting it to be sure as well whether I clean them or not.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You bought ammo with jibber jabber on the label and are surprised it was corrosive?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont think that's out of line at all...........whether they agree to do it or not I dont know, but it would be a good customer service move to do so
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New barrel and instal is minimum what I'd ask for, maybe gas parts too.  If you haven't checked them yet they may have gotten the same fate. You'll have to work it out with psa, but keep us posted.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That sucks.  

Had a similar experience with Wolf "non-corrosive" 6.5 Grendel a few years back.
View Quote

Same here
Supposedly non corrosive 7.62 wolf rusted the fuck out of my ptr-32.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The more I think about it I'm really glad I didn't take my factory HK91 to the range that day.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Just about everything needs to be cleaned that hot gas got to.  That gun would have to be stripped down to get all the parts in the gas system. I've seen bolts with a firing pin so corroded if you let it slam on a live round it would fire and possibly empty the magazine. That's why nobody really wants corrosive ammunition, especially in a gun like that unless it's an old bolt gun or an AK.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting, googling MESKO had me come up with some of their 9x18 advertised as corrosive.

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product-details?id=865528&avad=55097_a319fc369
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Interesting, googling MESKO had me come up with some of their 9x18 advertised as corrosive.

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product-details?id=865528&avad=55097_a319fc369
View Quote

Atlantic lists their 7.62x39 as non-corrosive.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/ak47-brass-ammunition-762x39-mesko-poland
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I would want an entire new replacement gun.

That looks bad
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, below are the website terms and conditions.

Good news! It looks like they only apply to a company called Palmeto State Armory.

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#18]
That sucks!
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

As I noted earlier in the thread, it's also listed as boxer primed but this brass is berden primed. I wonder if they have different batches they use for different purposes and some got switched around and PSA got it unknowingly
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Well that sucks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mostly non corrosive ammo.
View Quote

It's "mildly corrosive."

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
From their website

???

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As I noted earlier in the thread, it's also listed as boxer primed but this brass is berden primed. I wonder if they have different batches they use for different purposes and some got switched around and PSA got it unknowingly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to say, I imagine PSA will be looking into it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Exactly. 2019 production military ammo from a Nato country. Listed as non-corrosive. I don't think I was being imprudent. I assume all you naysayers clean with windex after you shoot some Prvi?
View Quote
Use water... Windex isn't required.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. 2019 production military ammo from a Nato country. Listed as non-corrosive. I don't think I was being imprudent. I assume all you naysayers clean with windex after you shoot some Prvi?

Windex is water, I don’t know why people even use it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#26]

This makes me think they use different batches of primers possibly based on contract and availability, it guess I got the shit kind
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#27]

I'm sure someone that doesn't speak English as a first language worked real hard on making sure the chemical composition of their primers was translated and advertised correctly. That packaging was not intended for US commercial sale. That's a red flag.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#28]
How does the bolt head look?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You bought ammo with jibber jabber on the label and are surprised it was corrosive?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/vladimir-putin-laughing_zpsov82lsef_GIF-129.gif

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#30]
At least OP isn't the guy that flew to Poland and found that his ammo goldmine was all Chinese corrosive stuff. Trying to remember what his username was.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Windex is water, I don't know why people even use it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because the ammonia works as a copper solvent.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, that's not good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, you got the “limited edition” ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
On an entirely related note......what is the best way to unfuck a barrel like this? Just clp and brass bush like hell? Soak with hoppe's overnight?
View Quote

I’d try some JB Bore Paste on patches (not brushes) to start with.

There are much more aggressive options, but they have the potential to make things worse.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can SMELL actually the difference usually.  You can actually smell the salt in the smoke if you have a good and trained sniffer.
View Quote

Yup. I've always equated it to a pesticide odor.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Man that sucks. Keep in mind it's not just the barrel usually you also have the gas system and stuff can still get in the action and trigger.

If a simple clean doesn't fix it up you likely have some real damage. I hope PSA can help you out. To me the ideal solution would be to send the gun to Atlantic or whatever Smith the company uses and have PSA cover the fix. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn’t do anything for the salts does it?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kinda fucked up.  I used to shoot a decent amount of trash can guys with corrosive shit and didn't have them rust like that.
View Quote

As in AKs with chrome bores? That'd be why. A friend put a bunch of Yugo M67 through his WASR and didn't clean it. A month later there was a small amount of rust in the gas tube. That was all.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It doesn't do anything for the salts does it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know the answer.  Just saying why people use windex.  For corrosives it puzzles me.  Maybe think good for one, good for the other?

ETA: never used windex even once on a gun
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I shot some non-corrosive ammo that destroyed a PTR32 barrel and bolt
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP, you got the “limited edition” ammo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371851/IMG_3831_jpeg-2870590.JPG
View Quote

Lol, sure did, I guess at least I know this ammo will last forever and can go at the bottom of the SHTF stash
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Windex will rust the FUCK out of steel. Anything with ammonia is bad bad bad.  I would suspect you cleaned the rifle with it prio or after based on the OP. Sorry man but his one is on you. I bet the rest of your stuff is propper fucked also.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I dont know the answer.  Just saying why people use windex.  For corrosives it puzzles me.  Maybe think good for one, good for the other?
View Quote

Yea, I just do it cause some old fart told me to to that when I was like 19 and bought a mosin and haven't had a problem since
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#44]
You have any left?

You can always do the primer pop on a steel plate if there's any question whatsoever.

That suck a big hairy one OP.

I'm with you. I don't clean guns for fun because I don't shoot corrosive ammo. I dumped the last of my 7n6 some time ago because of laziness.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For years I’ve seen posts on the internet saying that it “neutralizes” the salts, but I think that’s Fudd lore.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Ive shot corrosive out of Mosin's, SKS's and the like and neglected to clean after, none of them looked like that. Damn.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For years I've seen posts on the internet saying that it "neutralizes" the salts, but I think that's Fudd lore.
View Quote
I dont have an true answer, I dont know.  But I would not be shocked if its fudd lore.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Yep. Totally not trusting someone calling a gun part a "nut barrel mouthpiece" to label corrosiveness correctly.

https://www.mesko.com.pl/en/product/762x39-blank
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

For years I’ve seen posts on the internet saying that it “neutralizes” the salts, but I think that’s Fudd lore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ballistol and warm water are what you seek if you shoot corrosive ammo.

Smells like you mixed menthol and kerosene together. Not exactly pleasant.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I’d try some JB Bore Paste on patches (not brushes) to start with.

There are much more aggressive options, but they have the potential to make things worse.
View Quote

I wouldn't do anything yet, wait to see what's what first.

If you get told to pound sand, go to Harbor Freight, buy a few bottles of Evaporust and a container large enough to soak the barreled action in. Scrub the bore with it, rinse it all off, also buy some J-B Bore Compound and then use it on the Bore. Evaporust might remove the finish bluing or whatever finish in on the action/barrel. At this point, it really doesn't matter.

That or send it back to Bula and see what they can do.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top