Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#1]
they can moan and fight it and look bad in my opinion. or throw the guy a 250-400 dollar barrel. and a gas system.
im not sure what standard barrels cost. you can even put them in yourself with a barrel wrench and vice. i know match barrels
used to be 400. something like that. its not a hard fix. and id put a quality match barrel in it at this point. it will shoot nice.
good thing its easy to fix these. send those pics to Smith Enterprise. he will have a fit. that guy lives for the M14. the best there is.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not Fudd lore, the water in the windex is what neutralizes the salts. This will be good enough for the range, once you get home, clean it accordingly.

View Quote

The fud lore is that any ammonia in windex does anything to copper or salts.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah @palmettostatearmory is in no hurry to enter this thread. My guess is they will sit this one out entirely rather than to take any responsibility. Sorry OP.
View Quote
Palmetto will respond at some point.  They have NEVER demonstrated a penchant for hiding.  

Who knows what the resolution will be, but OP will eventually hear from PSA.  Its a fucking holiday though....

No idea why you would even say that about PSA and their history here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#4]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Windex will rust the FUCK out of steel. Anything with ammonia is bad bad bad.  I would suspect you cleaned the rifle with it prio or after based on the OP. Sorry man but his one is on you. I bet the rest of your stuff is propper fucked also.
View Quote

Even original Windex has almost no Ammonia in it (a fraction of a percent). There is far more in many of the popular copper solvents for bore cleaning. It’s mostly distilled water with some other ingredients to increase its soluble saturation point.

Windex doesn’t “neutralize” anything. It simply dissolves and carries away the salt and comes in a convenient spray bottle to take to the range.

I shoot a lot of corrosive-primed ammunition and regularly use Windex at the range. I hose every thing that came in contact with the powder residue (including gas systems and muzzle devices) with Windex until dripping wet. I then allow all parts to drip. This is what is carrying away the salt. I then runs patches through until dry and wipe down the bolt face and other areas with Windex. Normal cleaning when I get home. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#6]
one thing i hate in life is fuckin corrosive ammo. id rather hang out with democraps.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I mean if they said nothing that would be one thing....but they labeled it as non-corrosive. Do you clean all your weapons with windex every time you come home from the range?
View Quote

I clean my weapons every time I come home from the range with new unknown ammo.  

Once I had the same issue many years ago with an unknown ammo.   I cleaned it after shooting it as I would any other rifle that shot non corrosive ammo.  

It turned out to be corrosive ammo which I did not know. So I discovered my barrel had some rusting in it.  But since I had cleaned the rifle after shooting it was not as bad as your rifle and I was able to easily clean it up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Back in my younger days I bought a small green sardine can of 7.62 brass cased NATO.

It ruined the barrel of my M1A at the time.  I had no idea it was corrosive, and it was European ammunition as far as I could tell.

On another note I would shoot 7N6 quite often about 10 years back and by the time I would get home from the range rust would already be started.

Corrosive ammo doesn't mess around.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Even original Windex has almost no Ammonia in it (a fraction of a percent). There is far more in many of the popular copper solvents for bore cleaning. It’s mostly distilled water with some other ingredients to increase its soluble saturation point.

Windex doesn’t “neutralize” anything. It simply dissolves and carries away the salt and comes in a convenient spray bottle to take to the range.

I shoot a lot of corrosive-primed ammunition and regularly use Windex at the range. I hose every thing that came in contact with the powder residue (including gas systems and muzzle devices) with Windex until dripping wet. I then allow all parts to drip. This is what is carrying away the salt. I then runs patches through until dry and wipe down the bolt face and other areas with Windex. Normal cleaning when I get home. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem.
View Quote

Exactly. I think that Sweet’s is 5% ammonia.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Do people really expect PSA to respond on a Sunday morning?    Knowing PSA, they actually might, but everyone deserves a day off and I'm sure the reply will be "we'll look into it" or "get in touch with me and I'll see what we can do"- and that's reasonable and they'll probably do something to help the OP out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]
corrosive ammo is shit. how could one even use it during war ?? when you cant just sit down and clean
after firing it. i refuse to touch that stuff for any reason. especially it may be a little cheaper. ill gladly pay up before buying corrosive
at any price.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not Fudd lore, the water in the windex is what neutralizes the salts. This will be good enough for the range, once you get home, clean it accordingly.

According to windex some of their products have up to 28% ammonia.  Plenty for copper.  Not fudd lore.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd expect a new gun from PSA, or they're going to have to pay for a new barrel and the cost of replacement.

As far as corrosive ammo, you don't even need warm water. You don't need to "neutralize" the salt, just wash it out with whatever temperature water you have, and clean as you normally would.
View Quote

Warm/hot water can dissolve and carry more salt in solution than cold water. It also evaporates off the metal faster.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
they can moan and fight it and look bad in my opinion. or throw the guy a 250-400 dollar barrel. and a gas system.
im not sure what standard barrels cost. you can even put them in yourself with a barrel wrench and vice. i know match barrels
used to be 400. something like that. its not a hard fix. and id put a quality match barrel in it at this point. it will shoot nice.
good thing its easy to fix these. send those pics to Smith Enterprise. he will have a fit. that guy lives for the M14. the best there is.
View Quote

Dude, it's Sunday morning? Let's let PSA have the opportunity to wake up, and drink a cup of coffee? If it gets to be next week and they don't do shit I am with you. Give them a chance?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
According to windex some of their products have up to 28% ammonia.  Plenty for copper.  Not fudd lore.
View Quote

I don’t fucking believe that. The 5% in Sweet’s is toxic as shit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't use slavic ammo in American guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. 2019 production military ammo from a Nato country. Listed as non-corrosive. I don't think I was being imprudent. I assume all you naysayers clean with windex after you shoot some Prvi?

I don't use slavic ammo in American guns.

PPU (Serbia) and S&B (Czech) make better FMJ ammo than Winchester or Remington.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Been using the Windex with Vinegar, not the normal windex to clean blackpowder guns for close to 20 years I would say.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Windex will rust the FUCK out of steel. Anything with ammonia is bad bad bad.  I would suspect you cleaned the rifle with it prior to  or after based on the OP. Sorry man but his one is on you. I bet the rest of your stuff is proper fucked also.
View Quote

NEWSFLASH - for everyone, not all Windex contains no ammonia these days, make certain you check the ingredients.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't fucking believe that. The 5% in Sweet's is toxic as shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't fucking believe that. The 5% in Sweet's is toxic as shit.
I dont give a shit what you believe.  It was on a windex link I looked at last night.  Maybe it was old news?  I have no idea.  They listed their ammonia products as .5 through 28%.  

But hey you have never seen it so it must not exist right?

Shitty post.  My bad.  I saw it on a web page last night.  I believe some of their commercial products go that high, or did.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Please send me a PM with your order number. Like alway we will help you out.

Thanks,

Josiah
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to start off by saying I'm not a complainer. I've been a gun owner for over 20 years, have dozens of firearms, and I've taken care of my weapons many times on remote PBs in Iraq and Afghanistan without issue. I'm not the kind of guy that whines about scratches on my new Colt. But I had an experience today that really pissed me off and wanted to warn others.  

I recently bought a new Bula M14 Scout model from Atlantic. I was very pleased with the rifle (still am). Very nice out of the box, mirror bore, great finish, nice wood. I purchased some Mesko 7.62 Nato from PSA clearly listed as "non-corrosive" and took it to the range last week. I zeroed it and put about 40 rounds total through it just shooting steel. Rifle performed flawlessly, about 2.5 MOA from the bench with above ammo and open sites which I think is more than reasonable with military ball ammo.

I came home and DIDN'T clean the rifle because....why would I? I basically never clean firearms coming home from the range unless: they are something I plan on depending on for carry, they get wet/muddy, or if I use corrosive ammo. Yes, sometimes I shoot old corrosive surplus in my mosin or my enfield but I clean with warm water and windex and I've never had an issue. I put the rifle away in my safe that has desiccant in it.

I should note here that it was a sunny day, the rifle did not get wet, and that I've never had a rust issue with ANY firearm. All the other rifles in the safe are fine.

Today I was going out to the range and grabbed the rifle. It was kinda dark and I thought I saw a little rust on the flash hider and thought to myself "That's kinda annoying, NBD, I'll clean this off when I get home. As soon as I stepped out into the sun the flash hider looked VERY rusty so I checked the chamber and bore. Yup, rust city. Total sewer pipe. The other externals of the rifle are fine. As I said before, I checked the other guns in the safe, all fine. I can't think of any other explanation but that this Mesko stuff is in fact corrosive.

Fairly pissed about this.

EDIT: thanks to HEAVYMETAL I checked the primer which is berdan and not boxer like the product description... the plot thickens

https://i.postimg.cc/N067PDPF/IMG-7755.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/3NRXNTr0/IMG-7756.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/bJqHXnKT/IMG-7757.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/tTDd9TbH/IMG-7766.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/28YTRVZ3/Screen-Shot-2023-07-01-at-2-10-40-PM.png

Thanks,

Josiah
OH LOOK.  A fucking holiday weekend and they still respond.  

Who is sitting what out?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Windex will rust the FUCK out of steel. Anything with ammonia is bad bad bad.  I would suspect you cleaned the rifle with it prio or after based on the OP. Sorry man but his one is on you. I bet the rest of your stuff is propper fucked also.
View Quote

Wat?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Who is sitting what out?
View Quote

You can almost imagine, he took a first sip of coffee, turned on his computer, and saw this shit
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree, I've shot thousands of rounds of both brands and have never had any issues. They both are my go to brands for stacking deep.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#25]
im not mad they didnt respond this second, im furious once again so called non corrosive fucked someone and their M14.
this is hardly the first time in my life i seen this play out and good people get screwed with corrosive. he thought he was buying non corrosive.
this is on whoever sold it.

Quoted:

Dude, it's Sunday morning? Let's let PSA have the opportunity to wake up, and drink a cup of coffee? If it gets to be next week and they don't do shit I am with you. Give them a chance?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Not PSAs fault if the manufacturer told them it wasn’t.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks,

Josiah
View Quote

@beruitUSMC0351
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Who is sitting what out?
View Quote

Right, I was like give them til Wednesday at least, but here they are looking to take care of the issue.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Be thankful it’s just a shotgun that rusted up.  That would have ruined a rifle’s accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can almost imagine, he took a first sip of coffee, turned on his computer, and saw this shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is sitting what out?

They have been one of the most upstanding companies associated with this site, even back when they young and people bashed the shit out of them as counterfeit.  They couldn't possibly have FN barrels, yet THEY DID.

Way to go PSA.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks,

Josiah
View Quote

9:30 on a Sunday morning.... On a holiday weekend!

PSA is the gold standard for customer service... ??
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#32]
PSA is in... thats cool.

Quoted:

Thanks,

Josiah
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#34]
This is why PSA is top dog
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I dont give a shit what you believe.  It was on a windex link I looked at last night.  Maybe it was old news?  I have no idea.  They listed their ammonia products as .5 through 28%.  

But hey you have never seen it so it must not exist right?

Shitty post.  My bad.  I saw it on a web page last night.  I believe some of their commercial products go that high, or did.
View Quote

Not trying to be an asshole, but I’m really curious about this 28% product. Have you opened a bottle of Sweets and taken a whiff? Holy shit it’s horrifying!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm lucky I've only got burned once by corrosive ammo and it was a $75 turk Mauser.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree, I've shot thousands of rounds of both brands and have never had any issues. They both are my go to brands for stacking deep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

S&B absolutely had corrosive rifle ammo for sale not that many years ago. Light green box as I recall and it ate the living F out of barrels. I don't know if it was repackaged surp, surp, or broke down and reloaded surp brass with corrosive primer but it used to be a thing. I think .30 carbine was one of the calibers.

As made, Mil .30 carbine was NEVER corrosive unlike 30/06 and other Mil calibers. The chinese also made some, 1952 headstamp or something like it. They tried to pass it off as ''GI'' ammo and the boxes were very similar.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Who is sitting what out?
View Quote

Now, if only I could get them to reply to a question I asked in the PSA forums.  

Granted this deserves a lot more attention than my simple question. Still good on PSA for looking into this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

9:30 on a Sunday morning.... On a holiday weekend!

PSA is the gold standard for customer service... ??
View Quote

Yeah, half an hour until church. Dude's got a long day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
corrosive ammo is shit. how could one even use it during war ?? when you cant just sit down and clean
after firing it.
View Quote

In an actual large scale kinetic war like Ukraine, the end user isn't expected to last long enough for the barrel to rust away.

That's the morbid reality. Atleast with eastern military doctrine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks,

Josiah
View Quote

PM sent - thanks for response over the weekend
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#42]
PSA is top notch people and know they'll make it right.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I’m failing to see how this would be PSA’s problem. If I bought a box of Winchester and a double charge blew up the gun, I would hold Winchester at fault. Do people  expect every retailer to physically test every bit of ammo they sell? It does suck that the ammo manufacturer is foreign in this instance.

I am curious what PSA’s solution will be. From what I’ve seen here before, they will go above and beyond. No adult signature required.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#46]
if im a car seller and the engine blows up the next day, the customer bought it thinking it will last for some time at least.
to me... i eat it. fix it or replace it with equivalent. sure one can always be a dooshbag and say pound sand. and many do.
thats how i operate. i dont want bad karma. everyone else can do what thehy want.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#47]
How many poles does it take to make non-corrosive ammo?

Apparently not enough.

I clean corrosive ammo same way as I do when I shoot black powder. A mix of water and ballistol (90percent water/10 percent ballistol) with a 100 percent ballistol wipe at the end.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you think Windex is a copper fouling removing product I've got a bridge to sell you....
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Been using the Windex with Vinegar, not the normal windex to clean blackpowder guns for close to 20 years I would say.
View Quote
Great now it's a vinegar myth...
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Send a box to Hickock 45.  He's a firearms expert, right?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top