Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
6 year old LG front loader died. The motor and frame bracket broke. The warranty repair guy said it was dead. Estimated repair is $900. Unit was under the 5 year warranty but assume they will not replace it.

So I will buy a new Top loading machine. Speed queen dealers around here all said 1K for a new one when I called. So, if you have bought one recently, have advise or repair guy, advise would be great. Seems most washers are $6-899. But nothing seems to last it seems.
View Quote

A couple of years back, I looked into the top loaders, and decided against Speed Queen in favor of a Fisher-Paykel model that has an agitator, and is NOT HE.  Lowe's got it for in about a week.  It's worked great ever since, handling huge loads of stuff, and inordinate amounts of long hair from my dogs, wife, and daughters.  It's about as big as top-loaders get, in terms of capacity.

One of the things that attracted me to it is the simplicity of the design.  No transmission, just a brushless motor and a controller.  Still, it's about $800.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I asked a washer/dryer repairman once what brand he would recommend, as he'd know what was reliable and what wasn't.  His recommendation was to go GE appliances.

He was right.  The washer I had probably fifteen years before I had to replace it.  The dryer I still have after twenty years..
View Quote

A GE dryer is fine.  GE washers... they just don't clean.  I tried one once, returned it after a week because clothes still came out dirty.  The manager said he was trying to get the company to drop GE because so many of them came back with exactly the same complaint.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Maytag Bravos XL that I am quite happy with.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A GE dryer is fine.  GE washers... they just don't clean.  I tried one once, returned it after a week because clothes still came out dirty.  The manager said he was trying to get the company to drop GE because so many of them came back with exactly the same complaint.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I asked a washer/dryer repairman once what brand he would recommend, as he'd know what was reliable and what wasn't.  His recommendation was to go GE appliances.

He was right.  The washer I had probably fifteen years before I had to replace it.  The dryer I still have after twenty years..

Was it a high efficiency washer or non-HE? I've noticed HE washers don't clean as well as the older non-HE ones, so if I have to wash my clothes twice that defeats the purpose of HE.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a new GE washer.  So far it washes clothes...like it should

New washers are far more complicate than necessary.  They don't use as much water and so the wash cycle is odd so to speak.

It makes a lot of noise, not loud just noise regular machines don't make.

I looked until I found one that has the agitator, which was GE

Only time will tell if it lasts as long as my old Kenmore

ETA:  top loader & HE

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Was it a high efficiency washer or non-HE? I've noticed HE washers don't clean as well as the older non-HE ones, so if I have to wash my clothes twice that defeats the purpose of HE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was an HE.  I got an HE Maytag Bravos to replace it, and the Maytag cleans really well, with the exception that it doesn't float off dog or human hair as well as a non-HE washer.  But, the Bravos can fit HUGE stuff in it like blankets, so as it stands, our hodge-podge laundry room has the Bravos, the Fisher-Paykel that I mentioned above, and a nat-gas commercial Maytag double-dryer.  Not the "Commercial" units you'd see in a store, but the kind a hotel laundry would use, with two dryers in one unit.  I picked it up cheap used, replaced some high-mileage parts on the inside, and that beast has been drying clothes like a boss for almost 10 years.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's my cool starry bra.

Our well pumps dry pretty quick, so we try to conserve water wherever we can.  15 or so years ago, bought a Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer pair, one of the early-generation HE machines.  Long story short, they were both absolute crap.  I don't even remember all the problems we had with them... dryer drum out of round so it ate the fiber gasket the drum rides on, burned-out relay in dryer controller board... unplugged them and banished them to the barn when the washer drum crashed into the framework at full throttle, ripping about an 8" gash in the stainless steel drum.    Talk about noises you've never heard from your washer before...

Off to Sears, had one set of installed, but never used and then returned HE2 washer/dryer pair for nearly half price of a new set.  Couldn't resist, even though the new "Kenmores" looked suspiciously like rebadged Whirlpool Duets.

True to form, the new set hasn't fared much better than the old.  Dryer roller bearings wore out, rubber sleeve at washer door ripped and started leaking water all over, dryer motor pulley stripped out so drum wouldn't spin... more.  But... except for the rubber washer door seal, I've been able to cannibalize parts from the old set in the barn to repair everything else that gone wrong with them since.  They were that similar, parts-wise.

I guess the moral of the story is that I've figured out how to make a modern washer/dryer last.  Buy one set to use, and a backup set for spare parts.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
GE.  GTW485ASJWS
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Minor update.

Warranty company offered $479 towards buying a new  top loader. We decided on getting a top loader. I was surprised warranty offered much more than $200.

So I am trying to choose a LG  or whatever top loader from Lowes.

LG top loader

LG again

Whirlpool Cabrio

Maytag Bravos

Called nearest Speed Queen dealer. $899 for washer/ $50 delivery fee. Wife wants to save money and buy a cheaper set and the $109/5 year warranty. I am also needing to buy a ZTR mower so saving money somewhere would be nice. However are washers now throw aways after 4-6 years?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
6 year old LG front loader died. The motor and frame bracket broke. The warranty repair guy said it was dead. Estimated repair is $900. Unit was under the 5 year warranty but assume they will not replace it.

So I will buy a new Top loading machine. Speed queen dealers around here all said 1K for a new one when I called. So, if you have bought one recently, have advise or repair guy, advise would be great. Seems most washers are $6-899. But nothing seems to last it seems.
View Quote

Tell me more of this 6 year old unit still covered by a 5 year warranty. I love time travel
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tell me more of this 6 year old unit still covered by a 5 year warranty. I love time travel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not hard to figure out. Bought machine. Paperwork came asking if we wanted extended warranty, filled it out paid for it. Warranty was about up and for another 3 years send us a little more cash. However it did work out for us in the long run. I would prefer to buy something that would last for $500, but it seems nothing will last.

Thanks for your thoughts on time travel and the thoughts on what unit might serve well. Very nice of you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:05:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Been readings reviews for hours. Just more confused than ever. Most reviews say top loaders do not clean like front loaders. I hated the front loaders.

And the HE crap, no real hot water and limited water use. May have to go out of local market and trust a Speed Queen is worth it.

Trying to keep the wife happy and not out by the pool with a washboard and lye. Overthinking my selection some say, but informed choices is my preference.

Bump,for day walkers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a Speed Queen commercial HD top-loading washer and don't look back.

I bought one a couple months ago and it was around $800.00 with tax and all when my 20+ year old Maytag went tits-up.

Quiet and gets your clothes clean.

A neighbor has a Samsung front loader that they say really works well if you have to have a FLer.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1 on GE. I bought a new GE top-loading washer last year and it's worked fine so far, no problems. But truth be told, when you start looking at reviews you will find just as many people bashing the product as there are people praising them, regardless of brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on GE. I bought a new GE top-loading washer last year and it's worked fine so far, no problems. But truth be told, when you start looking at reviews you will find just as many people bashing the product as there are people praising them, regardless of brand.

The Chinese own GE white goods now and as someone who fixes them, they are cheaply made and junk and have been that way for 15 years. Old GE stuff was very well made.

The older Whirlpool agitator washer and standard dryer were probably the best washer and dryer ever made for the money. It is nothing to see them 20-30 years old and still working fine. Now, people think that 10 years is something exceptional to have them last.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I could advice you on a new one, but you might not like my advise.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#16]
The key is to get a top loader that you can manually set the water level.  This is a non-PC function because it effectively defeats the HE rating, so you will have to investigate.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#17]
SpeedQueen. Best clothes washer I've ever owned
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The trend I've noticed with high-dollar, feature loaded laundry machines:  they crap out after no time at all.

You know what tends to last for ever?  Cheap, simple, no-frills washers and dryers.  The type you'd find in an apartment.

The set I have now is over 10 years old, I paid $40 for BOTH on Craigslist and spent the money I saved on gun shit.

View Quote

What I recommend.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Whatever you do, don't buy a Bosch washer.  We got one six or eight years ago & it leaks out the door.  We had the repairmen come & "fix" it about 5 times while it was under warranty & it still leaks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Minor update.

Warranty company offered $479 towards buying a new  top loader. We decided on getting a top loader. I was surprised warranty offered much more than $200.

So I am trying to choose a LG  or whatever top loader from Lowes.

LG top loader

LG again

Whirlpool Cabrio

Maytag Bravos

Called nearest Speed Queen dealer. $899 for washer/ $50 delivery fee. Wife wants to save money and buy a cheaper set and the $109/5 year warranty. I am also needing to buy a ZTR mower so saving money somewhere would be nice. However are washers now throw aways after 4-6 years?
View Quote

In that case I second the Craigslist recommendation.  It would cheaper to buy a $100 every few years than to take a chance on a cheaper new washer and an extended warranty.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Went through this a few months ago. Consumer reports was kinda interesting. Everyone washer they recommended has crappy actual consumer reviews. Speedqueen didn't do that well in their testing but the consumer reviews were quite good. Ended up with a speedqueen digital panel. No problems thus far
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's what I did last year. Haven't heard a gripe out of the laundress since then.

Except when I dried her jeans on some setting that shrunk them.

Don't they all come pre-shrunk these days? For what I had to shell out to replace them you'd think........................
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get the speedqueen with the knobs, not the electronic board.

You can thank me in about 10 years.

That's what I did last year. Haven't heard a gripe out of the laundress since then.

Except when I dried her jeans on some setting that shrunk them.

Don't they all come pre-shrunk these days? For what I had to shell out to replace them you'd think........................

Trap! Correct answer is "I can't tell, omg you look so hot in those"
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#26]
When mine died late last year I got this one: GE 4.2-cu ft High-Efficiency Top-Load Washer
It works.  You can override the water level settings also.  Only complaint per the reviews is that it's noisy.  Yep, it's noisy - but the hubby likes to wrench on cars and guns, so he's always getting dirty.  This does a decent job and is big enough to handle king-size bedding too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Maytag bought Speed Queen quite a few years ago.  Whirlpool purchased Maytag (and Speed Queen, Amana & Crosley) back in the summer of 2006.

Whirlpool closed all the Maytag-owned facilities by 2007.  All Maytags, Speed Queens, etc. are no longer stand alone platforms.  They are variants of Whirlpool.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top