Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a great film.

Even better when you know the history of the production.

Even moar better when you consider the time period during which it was made and knowing that the world was in a very uncertain position when it was released.

Watch The Maltese Falcon, which had a number of the same actors in it.  It was made one year before Casablanca.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Great film and worth watching just for all the pop culture references it spawned.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to mention it’s one of my top favorite movies. Most all of my favorites were made between 1930 and 1950.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now try “To Have and Have Not”. Remember, Lauren Bacall is only 17 when the movie was filmed so no impure thoughts.

ETA Ever been stung by a dead bee?
View Quote

I believe she was 19.

I bit him right back...
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Great movie

“To have and have not” with Lauren Bacall is as good or better
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People often quote the line, "Play it again, Sam".  That is not a line in the movie.

And the answer is: nobody. That line isn’t in the movie. We get the full scoop from the website The Phrase Finder:

This is well-known as one of the most widely misquoted lines from films. The actual line in the film is ‘Play it, Sam’. Something approaching ‘Play it again, Sam’ is first said in the film by Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman) in an exchange with the piano player ‘Sam’ (Dooley Wilson):

Ilsa: Play it once, Sam. For old times’ sake.
Sam: I don’t know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
Ilsa: Play it, Sam. Play “As Time Goes By.”
Sam: Oh, I can’t remember it, Miss Ilsa. I’m a little rusty on it.
Ilsa: I’ll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum…
Ilsa: Sing it, Sam.

The line is usually associated with Humphrey Bogart and later in the film his character Rick Blaine has a similar exchange, although his line is simply ‘Play it’:

Rick: You know what I want to hear.
Sam: No, I don’t.
Rick: You played it for her, you can play it for me!
Sam: Well, I don’t think I can remember…
Rick: If she can stand it, I can! Play it!
(http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/284700.html)

So there you have it. It’s almost like hearing that Bugs Bunny never said, “What’s up, Doc?”

i'm just impressed because they both had braces
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#7]

"Of All The Gin Joints In All The Towns In All The World, She Walks Into mine."

"I Think This Is The Beginning Of A Beautiful Friendship."

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I watched it for the first- time maybe 10 years ago. I really enjoyed it. I remember recognizing many lines, phrases, and themes from newer movies. I'd never given those things much thought when I'd seen them in the newer movies, but after i saw them in Casablanca I was like, "wait a minute! That wasn't even original! They just stole that stuff from Casablanca!"

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Hated it.....
I couldn't stand the constant tone talking. These long drawn out dialog scenes.  Wanted to smack all of them.
I also didn't like many of those "classic" movies.  Guess I have a short attention span.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hated it.....
I couldn't stand the constant tone talking. These long drawn out dialog scenes.  Wanted to smack all of them.
I also didn't like many of those "classic" movies.  Guess I have a short attention span.
View Quote

It's a movie for those who enjoy a plot and characters developing along the way.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Well Capt Renault is getting broad minded. Is prob my favorite line.

Love the film
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Watch the African Queen next, another excellent Bogie film.
View Quote

Interesting bit of trivia, his character was originally supposed to be British but he couldn't do a convincing accent so they change his character to being Canadian.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
An absolutely beautiful film.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Watching classic films is great for, if nothing else, catching gags in more modern movies.

If you’ve seen “To Have and Have Not”, then this scene in “Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid” with Steve Martin makes much more sense.

Dead man don't wear plaid - You know how to dial

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I watched it for the first- time maybe 10 years ago. I really enjoyed it. I remember recognizing many lines, phrases, and themes from newer movies. I'd never given those things much thought when I'd seen them in the newer movies, but after i saw them in Casablanca I was like, "wait a minute! That wasn't even original! They just stole that stuff from Casablanca!"

View Quote
We'll always have Pedro O'Horny's
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
My favorite film. Whenever it comes on, I watch it.
To Have And Have Not is a good Bogey & Bacall film. That's Hogey Carmichael at the piano.
lauren bacall: to have and have not "how little we know"

Probably one of the most parodied scenes in cinema.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
The Mos Eisley  cantina in Star Wars is an homage to Rick's Cafe Americain.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's a very good movie. Ingrid Bergman is exquisite.
View Quote
This, she was one of a kind.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I first saw Casablanca about 3 weeks ago.   Found it interesting that it was half the cast of the Maltese Falcon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm shocked, shocked to discover gambling in this establishment

Your winnings, sir

oh, thank you
View Quote

My film students love that moment.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Casablanca is an undisputed classic.

My second favorite Bogart/Bacall film is The Big Sleep (gangster talk for murder, it's a Phillip Marlowe movie). The characters and acting are outstanding, even if you have no idea what has actually happened by the time it ends. I watched it five or six times before I got frustrated and looked it up.."The movie's a classic because of Bogie and Lauren Bacall, not because it makes sense."
View Quote
The bookstore scene ...  Bogart had a way of creating good chemistry with other actors, especially the ladies...

Here is my Bogart:

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm surprised that Hollywood hasn't decided they're compelled to make an all tranny reboot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My favorite film. Whenever it comes on, I watch it.
To Have And Have Not is a good Bogey & Bacall film. That's Hogey Carmichael at the piano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFfuUu5xmMA

Probably one of the most parodied scenes in cinema.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MheNUWyROv8
View Quote
Hoagy Carmichael is how Ian Fleming imagined James Bond looked.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Right now.

Is it actually good?  Or is it one of those "best movie of all time" movies that is artistically good but not entertaining?

View Quote

It's actually better the second time because then you know the background of those two and you understand why they're acting the way they are.

It is that good.

I just watched in about 2 weeks ago.

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I first saw Casablanca about 3 weeks ago.   Found it interesting that it was half the cast of the Maltese Falcon.
View Quote

Bogey had a regular group he worked with, Sidney Greenstreet, Claude Raines, Peter Lorre, Elisha Cook, Walter Brennan...

He and Lauren Bacall had a radio adventure show, "Bold Venture" which aired in 1950 and '51. It's available on some of the old-time radio show websites.
I used to listen to it at night on my crystal set. Mom thought Bacall was trash, Dad discretely told me I had excellent taste in women.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Be careful with Fedoras, fashion hounds.

Many are called, but few are chosen.

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Another great one! Then after that, watch The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre. There's a line in that one that is still quoted/paraphrased to this day.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch the African Queen next, another excellent Bogie film.

Another great one! Then after that, watch The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre. There's a line in that one that is still quoted/paraphrased to this day.

The one that half of GD thinks came from "Blazing Saddles?"
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#29]
"I came here for the waters."

"But, but this is the desert..."

"I was misinformed."
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Claude Raines is buried near me. I visit every year or so. Left an Invisible Man drawing on his stone last summer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#31]
But the  best line in a Bogie movie wasn't even by Bogie:
"You know how to whistle,  don't you? Just put your lips together and blow!"
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm surprised that Hollywood hasn't decided they're compelled to make an all tranny reboot.
View Quote
Well, there was Barb Wire.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#33]
The most amazing aspect of he movie is the real history during the time the movie was filmed and released.  At the time the Nazi machine had taken France and was working through North Africa.  If you were watching the movie bring it’s release it was nearly like watching the news, but with a bit more detail to see how it affected neutral places like Casablanca where people were flocking to in their attempts to escape out in front of the Nazis.

It’s a great show, but the reality of it is far stronger to me than the movie itself.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Very good movie. Very enjoyable. “Rick! Rick, help me!”
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Very much worth watching.  Excellent B/W movie.  And Nb: At one point there is a "sing off" between the Nazis and the free people, mostly French.  The free people sing The Marseillaise. Many have heard that anthem, but few know the words.  Watch the great Mireille Matheiu sing it with subtitles.  And pay attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQ-SC9bmp4
View Quote

Damn...I didn't know the words.  Wow.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#37]
It's fantastic. Right up there with Gone With The Wind.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Bogie and Bacall started their romance on that movie and the crew were worried that his wife would find out and shoot him. He divorced his wife, married Bacall and they lived happily ever after. She was 19 and he was 44.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
But the  best line in a Bogie movie wasn't even by Bogie:
"You know how to whistle,  don't you? Just put your lips together and blow!"
View Quote

That scene was from her screen test. It was so good they wrote it into the movie.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick: If I gave you any thought, I probably would.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Film studios kept a 'stable' of actors on contract to the studio.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Casablanca 1942 Humphrey Bogart as time goes by
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

They'll put a picture of Trump on the wall in Strasser's office.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm only a poor corrupt government official.
- Capt. Renault
(my favorite line)

Although this one is also good.

Carl, see that Major Strasser gets a good table, one close to the ladies.
- Capt. Renault

I have already given him the best, knowing that he is German and would take it anyway.
- Carl
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Great movie.
View Quote

Classic movie era.  Bogart had a great series of movies, recommend you queue them up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick: If I gave you any thought, I probably would.
View Quote

came here to post this.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#47]
The Marseillaise scene is one of my favorites in all of cinema. A beautiful song sung at an incredible time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#48]
It won 3 Osacrs and nominated for 5 more. The script was spot-on with great chemistry. Bogie and Bergman made the chemistry sizzle. The music was unforgettable. The black and white filming added to the feel of the story. Claude Rains played off Bogie perfectly. Dooley Wilson was perfect as the piano player. He nailed it. I can still hear him sing "As Time Goes By." There are so many memorable lines you could almost rewright a new script. It was a solid performing movie on it's first run but the public loved it. It is still one of the most memorable movies ever made. Play it again Sam.

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#49]
One of my favorites and I have to watch it any time it’s on and I stumble across it. Even though I own the DVD
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's a fantastic movie!
View Quote

One of my favorites.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top