Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:10:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Classic movie era.  Bogart had a great series of movies, recommend you queue them up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie.

Classic movie era.  Bogart had a great series of movies, recommend you queue them up.

One many people don't know about. Which is one of my Favorites- "Sahara" : American Tank gets lost and fends off a company of Germans. It's a great movie.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#2]
This Monday, starting very early, there will be a series of very good Film Noir movies on TCM, with The Big Sleep showing Monday afternoon. Out Of The Past is on after The Big Sleep and is arguably one of the best FN movies ever released. They are even showing Mildred Pierce!

It is a great day to set your DVR and record them all:

The Naked City
CrimecWave
The Narrow Margin
Kansas City Confidential
The Asphalt Jungle
The Big Sleep
Out of the Past
Mildred Pierce

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Just finished rewatching it for the umpteenth time thanks to this thread.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Casablanca and Gone With the Wind are two on the "top 100" lists that I have not seen.

I know the plot and quotes though. Most people do, without realizing it probably.  I suppose it's that good.  You can know many of the details without having watched it.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]
"Yvonne, I love you but he pays me"

fantastic film
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nazi's suck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nazi's suck

I think they are now called 'DemoNazis'.

Quoted:
Very much worth watching.  Excellent B/W movie.  And Nb: At one point there is a "sing off" between the Nazis and the free people, mostly French.  The free people sing The Marseillaise. Many have heard that anthem, but few know the words.  Watch the great Mireille Matheiu sing it with subtitles.  And pay attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQ-SC9bmp4

Should be the anthem of the Republicans...
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hated it.....
I couldn't stand the constant tone talking. These long drawn out dialog scenes.  Wanted to smack all of them.
I also didn't like many of those "classic" movies.  Guess I have a short attention span.
View Quote

Or something...
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Madeleine_Lebeau.png

Madeleine Lebeau

Lebeau died on 1 May 2016 in Estepona, Spain, aged 92, after breaking her thigh bone.[3] French culture minister Audrey Azoulay said of Madelaine Lebeau after her death: "She was a free woman who lived by her own rules, totally inhabiting the roles entrusted to her by leading directors. She will forever be the face of French resistance."[1]

As it turns out, Lebeau herself had fled Nazi-engulfed Europe with her Jewish husband, Marcel Dalio, who plays Emil the croupier at Rick’s Café and who was already famous in Europe for his winning performances

https://www.neh.gov/humanities/2017/winter/feature/in-casablanca-madeleine-lebeau-became-forever-the-face-french-resistance
View Quote

Yvonne was HOT!!!

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I've watched it a couple times. I rarely like movies from that time period but Bogart was in several that I've enjoyed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This Monday, starting very early, there will be a series of very good Film Noir movies on TCM, with The Big Sleep showing Monday afternoon. Out Of The Past is on after The Big Sleep and is arguably one of the best FN movies ever released. They are even showing Mildred Pierce!

The Naked City
CrimecWave
The Narrow Margin
Kansas City Confidential
The Asphalt Jungle
The Big Sleep
Out of the Past
Mildred Pierce

View Quote
Nice! TCM is my favorite channel. I've seen a couple of those but I love noir so all of them are getting recorded.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Not to beat a dead horse,

but I just found the clip from the movie where they sang La Marseillaise with English subtitles!  Very cool:

FRENCH LESSON - learn french with movies : Casablanca ( La marseillaise - french anthem )

Makes that awesome scene much, much more powerful!!

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very much worth watching.  Excellent B/W movie.  And Nb: At one point there is a "sing off" between the Nazis and the free people, mostly French.  The free people sing The Marseillaise. Many have heard that anthem, but few know the words.  Watch the great Mireille Matheiu sing it with subtitles.  And pay attention:

View Quote

I barely recall any french from high school and wish I was more conversant in French.  That movie scene has a lot more power and balls when you know the words and that they sing about spilling their enemies blood in the dirt.  That part goes over most american’s heads, all american’s know it is the French National anthem.  

F the Nazis!  They had it coming.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

those movies from that era are fanstically written and you get such a wonderful cinematic experience because they were truly world class thespians.

No CGI, no fancy cameras mounts, etc.

The actors had to make the magic come through the lens to the screen.

The great Irony about CGI is that instead of making movies better subtly, IE Forrest GUMP (chocked full of CGI that you don't notice) they turn movies into crap these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a scene where Bogie and the nazi are talking and bogie says "I also understand the perspective of the hound".   It was a very clever insult, calling the german a dog to his face in that way.  The nazi could say nothing.

Watch for people uprighting spilled wine glasses.  

The movie is chock full of little touches like that.    

Yeah it's old school and not always as polished as modern fare, but it beats the fuck out of watching people dressed up in tights pretending to be superheroes.

those movies from that era are fanstically written and you get such a wonderful cinematic experience because they were truly world class thespians.

No CGI, no fancy cameras mounts, etc.

The actors had to make the magic come through the lens to the screen.

The great Irony about CGI is that instead of making movies better subtly, IE Forrest GUMP (chocked full of CGI that you don't notice) they turn movies into crap these days.

So true.   The directors that could use the artful exploitation of light and dark to magically enhance the scene,...damn good film.   Love black and white, film noire.  The Third Man is my favorite movie where the black and white light usage increases the value of the shot five fold.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great movie, seen it countless times.  That said it has a few holes in the plot.  Why are German couriers carrying letters of transit from Charles DeGaulle?  And what good would a letter of transit signed by Charles DeGaulle be in Vichy Casablanca?  How did Rick and Ilsa meet?  Why didn't the Germans just kill Victor Lazlo when they had him in the concentration camp?
View Quote

Because Americans would be more likely to know DeGaulle's name than François Darlan.
We said no questions.
They wanted him to reveal information about his allies in the Resistance. Notice that's the first thing Strasser asks of him.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not to beat a dead horse,

but I just found the clip from the movie where they sang La Marseillaise with English subtitles!  Very cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76za0Ja0kfQ

Makes that awesome scene much, much more powerful!!

View Quote

That’s a better translation for sure but the Mathieu singer was hot for her day!  So that was a good watch too!

Not taking anything away from Mdme Lebeau.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#17]
ALLONS BRANDON !!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Naked City
CrimecWave
The Narrow Margin
Kansas City Confidential
The Asphalt Jungle
The Big Sleep
Out of the Past
Mildred Pierce

View Quote

Seriously, The Big Sleep is well worth watching even if the plot is a little, um, confusing. It has one of the very first librarian "glasses off, hair down" head shakes, and Bogart's reaction predates Joey Tribiani by fifty or sixty years. That whole scene was pretty damn risque for the time (nothing at all graphic, just a LOT of innuendo). The performances are outstanding.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice! TCM is my favorite channel. I've seen a couple of those but I love noir so all of them are getting recorded.
View Quote

It's not my favorite since Robert Osbourne died. The current crop of cocksucking, nepotistic hosts are horrible.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's not my favorite since Robert Osbourne died. The current crop of cocksucking, nepotistic hosts are horrible.
View Quote

No lie, GI.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

One many people don't know about. Which is one of my Favorites- "Sahara" : American Tank gets lost and fends off a company of Germans. It's a great movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie.

Bogie had a number of great movies, some overshadowed by "Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon."

"Across the Pacific"

Ex-army captain Bogart foils a Japanese plot to destroy the Panama Canal. An interesting tidbit, the movie was initially about a Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor, but the plot was changed after the actual attack on Pearl harbor. Featuring Bogie's co-star from "Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon", Sydney Greenstreet.

Attachment Attached File

"Action in the North Atlantic"

Bogie as a Merchant Marine officer in a convoy carrying war supplies and fighting Nazis along the way.

Attachment Attached File

"All Though the Night"

Comedy-gangster-spy drama. Bogie is a big-shot Broadway gambler who discovers his patriotic side when he uncovers a ring of Nazi spies in the Big Apple. Great supporting cast featuring Jackie Gleason, Phil Silvers, Peter Lorre and Bogie's nemesis from "Casablanca", Conrad Veidt

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Badges…..we don’t need no stinking badges!!!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am shocked!

Shocked!

That you haven't seen Casablanca before.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Man, I wonder what it was like banging 19 year old Lauren Bacall?
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hated it.....
I couldn't stand the constant tone talking. These long drawn out dialog scenes.  Wanted to smack all of them.
I also didn't like many of those "classic" movies.  Guess I have a short attention span.
View Quote

I get it. I dialogue and complicated plot twists in Fast and Furious were a little over my head.
Just kidding, The great thing about movies, like music, we don't have to agree on what we like.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Damn...I didn't know the words.  Wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either, the lyrics were a big fuck you to the Nazis.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bogie had a number of great movies, some overshadowed by "Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon."

"Across the Pacific"

Ex-army captain Bogart foils a Japanese plot to destroy the Panama Canal. An interesting tidbit, the movie was initially about a Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor, but the plot was changed after the actual attack on Pearl harbor. Featuring Bogie's co-star from "Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon", Sydney Greenstreet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/across-the-pacific_jpg-2203041.JPG

Bogie as a Merchant Marine officer in a convoy carrying war supplies and fighting Nazis along the way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/ActionIntheNorthAtlantic_jpg-2203047.JPG

"All Though the Night"

Comedy-gangster-spy drama. Bogie is a big-shot Broadway gambler who discovers his patriotic side when he uncovers a ring of Nazi spies in the Big Apple. Great supporting cast featuring Jackie Gleason, Phil Silvers, Peter Lorre and Bogie's nemesis from "Casablanca", Conrad Veidt

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/allthru1_jpg-2203077.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie.

"Across the Pacific"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/across-the-pacific_jpg-2203041.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/ActionIntheNorthAtlantic_jpg-2203047.JPG

"All Though the Night"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/allthru1_jpg-2203077.JPG

Wow! Thank you. I am pretty sure I watched "Action in the North Atlantic" with my Dad as a kid. But not the others. Kind of funny how my parents had no problem showing us Casablanca and all these "adult" films. I don't feel comfortable showing some PG movies now to my kids.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't watch it for the hosts...

I literally laugh my ass off every time they run the "horror of blackface" filler.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the movie, I don’t think that they were “mostly French”. During the rendition of “La Marseillaise” as they drowned-out the NAZI’s singing, the camera pans to characters of many national origins; France, America, Britain, Bulgaria, Spain, Russia, even Austria. I think the poignant statement being made was; We are not all from France but in this moment, we are all French!

I think in 1942, when the outcome of the war was far from certain, that was exactly the message Allied audiences needed to hear.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
RICK, DO SOMETHING!

https://i.imgur.com/r0swCFT.png
View Quote

The look of panic and fear on his face looks absolutely genuine. Peter Lorre was a really good actor.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you like Casablanca, you will like the follow on To Have and Have Not (1944).

View Quote

I really liked the Hemingway novel of the same name (one of the few people who does). The movie shares almost NOTHING with the book other than the title!

However, I thought the movie was good too. The ending was a little too convenient for my taste but a good plot and great acting none the less.

If you read at all, “Islands In The Stream” (also by Hemingway) is really good and shares that fighting NAZIs in the Caribbean setting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In the movie, I don’t think that they were “mostly French”. During the rendition of “La Marseillaise” as they drowned-out the NAZI’s singing, the camera pans to characters of many national origins; France, America, Britain, Bulgaria, Spain, Russia, even Austria. I think the poignant statement being made was; We are not all from France but in this moment, we are all French!

I think in 1942, when the outcome of the war was far from certain, that was exactly the message Allied audiences needed to hear.
View Quote
That is an important observation.  At the time this movie was being made, it still looked like the Allies WERE LOSING THE WAR.  The movie was filmed in mid-1942.  Stalingrad was still happening and Midway had only been a few months before, with nobody really knowing how badly the Japanese Navy was impacted.  When the film was released in January of 1943 it was starting to become clear we were going to win, but 1942 was a pretty dark and scary time for the enemies of fascism.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#34]

She's a maniac, maniac  on the floor
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hated it.....
View Quote

That's what I pointed out when I said "it was never intended to be a classic." It was nothing special. It was just another movie they rolled out that year, and it caught the public in a very visceral way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does say "American English", which is shorthand for a piss-poor translation. However, it does get the sense right.
It's fairly old French, so doesn't translate easily.

For example "Abreuve nos sillons" really translates as "water our furrows" - where furrows means this created by a plow.

Translating that as "soak into the dirt", is sort of right ... but doesn't create the same mental picture.

But ... Mirelle Mathieu can really sing - pity there isn't a better video ...
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#37]
It's a great movie, especially so considering the time it was made in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Seriously, The Big Sleep is well worth watching even if the plot is a little, um, confusing. It has one of the very first librarian "glasses off, hair down" head shakes, and Bogart's reaction predates Joey Tribiani by fifty or sixty years. That whole scene was pretty damn risque for the time (nothing at all graphic, just a LOT of innuendo). The performances are outstanding.
View Quote

The Dreamiest Bookstore Employee in Movie History
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Dorothy Malone.

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#41]
You played it for her.....you can play it for me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#42]
For those who are interested, "Casablanca" will be showing in movie theaters on January 23rd and 26th.  Check out Fathom Events if it's showing in your area:

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Casablanca-80th-Anniversary-presented-by-TCM
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For those who are interested, "Casablanca" will be showing in movie theaters on January 23rd and 26th.  Check out Fathom Events if it's showing in your area:

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Casablanca-80th-Anniversary-presented-by-TCM
View Quote

You rock.

I never would have noticed that, as it's at a theater I don't normally go to and thus don't get their promotional stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have some really, really terrible hosts that are apologizing for the non-PC nature of the movies now. I really enjoyed Osbourne’s intros and I miss him.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#45]
My daughter and I go to these a lot.  We've seen a couple of Hitchcock movies, a couple of Bogart movies and the original Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory.  It's never crowded and always a good time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You rock.

I never would have noticed that, as it's at a theater I don't normally go to and thus don't get their promotional stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You rock.

Holy shit, thanks!!! It's playing in my area. I didn't think I'd ever get to see Casablanca in the theater.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It is a classic and Bergman is hot, enjoy the movie!
View Quote

FPNI and SPNI
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The translation in those subtitles is interesting, both in what was chosen to be used and what was not chosen.

"To cut the throats of your children and partners" instead of "your brothers and brothers in arms" or "your brothers and battle buddies" (though it would not have been translated that way in 1942). Or "qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons" as "let their blood spill and soak into the dirt" instead of "their blood will fertilize the bed [of the tree of liberty]" (implied bracketed phrasing mine). I don't think that's directly relevant to any kind of commentary at the time or in the moment then, but it stood out to me as what should have been considered if it were presented now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It does say "American English", which is shorthand for a piss-poor translation. However, it does get the sense right.

For example "Abreuve nos sillons" really translates as "water our furrows" - where furrows means this created by a plow.

Translating that as "soak into the dirt", is sort of right ... but doesn't create the same mental picture.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three posts in a row on an old thread. And I made the other two before I saw this.  Yeah, modern american english.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Play it Sam.
View Quote

If you grew up watching bugs bunny, "play it again, sam" should ring a bell.  

He never said it in the movie though.  

Casablanca is one of my top 5 of all time, fo sho.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top