Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Dupe
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In 1988 while I was stationed in HI, I got to meet Tom Selleck and was (along with several members of my platoon) in a Magnum PI episode. It was a whole lotta fun. A great guy. Very down to earth. Ate lunch with us both days were filming in Diamond Head.

Because I was a grunt, I was't able to grow my 'stache out until a couple of years later when I started flying.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/68216/DC_TS_jpg-1360670.JPG
View Quote

I'll bet it was for the episode Unfinished Business.

@Daniel76
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@Daniel76
View Quote
+1

The Magnum/VN storyline is where I connect best.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ye bye, Robin's Nest! Iconic Magnum, P.I. property demolished

WAIMANALO, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - That's a wrap! The iconic Magnum P.I. residence known as the 'Robin's Nest' was demolished over the weekend.
The 8,900-square-foot Waimanalo mansion was torn down after a demolition permit was issued for the property last month. Drone video taken over the weekend showed the most of the property in pieces.
There are no structures remaining on the site, which has been surrounded with black construction fencing while crews remove the rest of the debris.
Plans for the demolition were first made in 2015, when the property was sold for $8.7 million. The historic estate was said to be 'in need of major repair' at the time of the listing.

The Magnum P.I. house was built in 1933 and has been a famous landmark in Hawaii. It was also used as a filming location various movies and television shows, including Hawaii-Five-O.
The future plans for the property are currently unknown.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/37914775/bye-bye-robins-nest-iconic-magnum-pi-property-demolished/

View Quote

It was torn down just before I finally got to Hawaii,  I was bummed.  I did get to see some of the other places that you typically see on TV shows.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife and I are binging on Magnum, PI while we quarantine. It holds up pretty well for an ‘80’s series.

I want a Ferrari 308 even though they’re pretty lackluster by today’s standards.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In 1988 while I was stationed in HI, I got to meet Tom Selleck and was (along with several members of my platoon) in a Magnum PI episode. It was a whole lotta fun. A great guy. Very down to earth. Ate lunch with us both days were filming in Diamond Head.

Because I was a grunt, I was't able to grow my 'stache out until a couple of years later when I started flying.

View Quote

Very cool! I'm jealous!
I couldn't grow a mustache until  I was no longer wearing a uniform, I did rock a beard after I got out though. The 1st gun I bought was a Colt Government Model!

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@Daniel76
+1

Ok gents...this is how long it's been. I don't remember the episode, but here is the basic storyline: the Vietnamese had a POW still alive that we wanted back. We had a POW of theirs. The POW we had is the guy who murdered Magnum's Vietnamese wife. This POW swap was supposed to take place on some neutral island in the Pacific. Magnum finds out about it and goes there to kill the POW we were getting ready to exchange.

Enough info? I only saw that episode once in it was in '89 or so when it came out. So 30+ years ago. Unfinished Business sounds like an apt title.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Daniel76
+1

Ok gents...this is how long it's been. I don't remember the episode, but here is the basic storyline: the Vietnamese had a POW still alive that we wanted back. We had a POW of theirs. The POW we had is the guy who murdered Magnum's Vietnamese wife. This POW swap was supposed to take place on some neutral island in the Pacific. Magnum finds out about it and goes there to kill the POW we were getting ready to exchange.

Enough info? I only saw that episode once in it was in '89 or so when it came out. So 30+ years ago.
View Quote

That's the one. Unfinished Business and it's one of the best episodes of television programming ever.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's the one. Unfinished Business and it's one of the best episodes of television programming ever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Daniel76
+1

Enough info? I only saw that episode once in it was in '89 or so when it came out. So 30+ years ago.

Agreed. And it’s awesome that an Arfcommer was in it!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Been noticing that 90% of the bad guys are armed with what I assume is the same P38 or P1
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Back in the early 1980s, my wife was flying back from Hong Kong to the US with our infant son.  I was deployed, and had met them in Hong Kong.  Well, the wife and other Navy wives stopped in Hawaii, and toured the Magnum PI filming site.  The wife and baby were able to meet Selleck and the other cast members.  Several of the wives asked Selleck for a kiss.  Selleck, being a gentleman and smart dude, said he did not kiss married women, but would kiss a baby.  So, he kissed my infant son.
BTW, that son grew up, served in the USMCR, and has a family of his own.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, Op, this thread reminds of an episode of the British TV series "The Prisoner." I love the theme music and series music to that show. But, one day, back in the late 60's when the show came on I saw and heard this opening theme music, which, like your "Magnum, P.I." episode had a different theme music opening that really sucked badly. I really hated that lame theme music. Fortunately, they only aired one episode with that lame theme music and here it is in all it's craptastic glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6SBm9HPjnM

Here's the original and much better opening theme music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0rio3IPXXU
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#13]
"Did you see the sunrise this morning?"
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Used to be a die hard watcher back in the day, he was cool as hell.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By thirsty:
My wife and I are binging on Magnum, PI while we quarantine. It holds up pretty well for an ‘80’s series. 

I want a Ferrari 308 even though they’re pretty lackluster by today’s standards.
View Quote

I'm an 80's kid too. 308 and Testarossa are the only Ferraris I have any interest in.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dissident:
Every time I watch Magnum I have to suppress the urge to buy a 1911.
View Quote

As a firearm enthusiast in America, you should already own a 1911. It's your patriotic duty.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#17]
WTF? Sounds like some shit from a 60's spy movie. Glad I don't remember that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
"Did you see the sunrise this morning?"
View Quote

Best episode of a fantastic series.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife and I are binging on Magnum, PI while we quarantine. It holds up pretty well for an ‘80’s series. 

I want a Ferrari 308 even though they’re pretty lackluster by today’s standards.
View Quote

We’re doing the same. Great show, definitely holds up. One thing I didn’t remember is that there’s like 3000 episodes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Guntoter:

Of all the Magnum scenes I watched, that's the one I remember the most.  Apparently most other people do, too.
View Quote

I need remembered it.  I've always remembered the one where he is treading water for days in the ocean and has flashbacks through out the episode.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Mike Post saved the theme music, the first one was fucking garbage
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Daniel76:
In 1988 while I was stationed in HI, I got to meet Tom Selleck and was (along with several members of my platoon) in a Magnum PI episode. It was a whole lotta fun. A great guy. Very down to earth. Ate lunch with us both days were filming in Diamond Head. 

Because I was a grunt, I was't able to grow my 'stache out until a couple of years later when I started flying.

View Quote

@Daniel76 That is seriously cool...
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LVTP7A1:

I drove by the estate in November 2018. The only things left were the tennis court and the gatehouse. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116098/3BFBAB92-775E-49E7-8949-1A1E3FADDE61_jpe-1360335.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116098/6F80B4FF-A43E-4CB5-9901-5A6B75BCC205_jpe-1360341.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LVTP7A1:
Originally Posted By Meadowmuffin:

ye bye, Robin's Nest! Iconic Magnum, P.I. property demolished

WAIMANALO, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - That's a wrap! The iconic Magnum P.I. residence known as the 'Robin's Nest' was demolished over the weekend.
The 8,900-square-foot Waimanalo mansion was torn down after a demolition permit was issued for the property last month. Drone video taken over the weekend showed the most of the property in pieces.
There are no structures remaining on the site, which has been surrounded with black construction fencing while crews remove the rest of the debris.
Plans for the demolition were first made in 2015, when the property was sold for $8.7 million. The historic estate was said to be 'in need of major repair' at the time of the listing.

The Magnum P.I. house was built in 1933 and has been a famous landmark in Hawaii. It was also used as a filming location various movies and television shows, including Hawaii-Five-O.
The future plans for the property are currently unknown.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/37914775/bye-bye-robins-nest-iconic-magnum-pi-property-demolished/

I drove by the estate in November 2018. The only things left were the tennis court and the gatehouse. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116098/3BFBAB92-775E-49E7-8949-1A1E3FADDE61_jpe-1360335.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116098/6F80B4FF-A43E-4CB5-9901-5A6B75BCC205_jpe-1360341.JPG

Yes, it's sad that it's gone but it really was in bad shape at the end. I was lucky enough to get to visit the property in 2010-2011 and as a fan of the show it was pretty disheartening seeing how bad it had deteriorated.  Like all ocean front properties you need to be diligent in your maintenance and honestly that place hadn't had appropriate maintenance in 25-30 years.

Unfortunately it was like meeting your childhood hero and finding out he's a womanizing alcoholic. You can see your hero under the haze and can still see their potential if they only tried but you know in your heart of hearts it's a fools errand. The story that I got was that it was a family estate passed down through the generations and shortly after the series ended it transfered to the last two generations that made poor decision one after another.

Those generations wanted to take the estate back to the days of yor and return it to a private family estate. However none of them realized or wanted to admit that none of them had the capital to fund a private estate privately. Being headstrong and not wanting to lose control of an icon they were more than happy to ride it out until just before it burnt into the ground and they were living in a tent on the very same property. Seriously, blue tarps on multiple parts of the house when I visited. They could have easily turned it into a semi famous destination by offering tours like Graceland and other places, but they didn't want the unwashed masses in me Memaw's overgrown rose garden.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:57:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

(insert the Ryan Reynolds "But Why?" .gif here)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12179/FAA7586C-B15D-4280-9780-5FF0F6E859C9-463047.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GunnyG:
Originally Posted By Dissident:
Every time I watch Magnum I have to suppress the urge to buy a 1911.

(insert the Ryan Reynolds "But Why?" .gif here)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12179/FAA7586C-B15D-4280-9780-5FF0F6E859C9-463047.JPG

How many people noticed that Magnum is slamming a 9mm mag into his 1911?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Z09SS:

How many people noticed that Magnum is slamming a 9mm mag into his 1911?
View Quote

It’s well known that it’s a 9mm pretending to be a .45.

The .45 blanks wouldn’t run a GI model, but the 9mm would. So they used that instead, but yet said it was like what he carried in the Navy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah 9mm 1911s generally work better with blanks .

Stalone's 1911 in Cobra was a 9mm as well
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
Yeah 9mm 1911s generally work better with blanks .

Stalone's 1911 in Cobra was a 9mm as well
View All Quotes

Hell, a ton of ".45's" in movies are played by Star B's because of the blank problem.

Occasionally just for the firing and the next cut has it back to being a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hell, a ton of ".45's" in movies are played by Star B's because of the blank problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah 9mm 1911s generally work better with blanks .

Stalone's 1911 in Cobra was a 9mm as well

Jackson had a Star in Pulp Fiction
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By kc8flb:
Loved all the ones in this thread so far, but we are missing:

The Fall Guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZCC1hh2Rlg

View Quote

Heather Thomas
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Hell, a ton of ".45's" in movies are played by Star B's because of the blank problem.

Occasionally just for the firing and the next cut has it back to being a 1911.
View All Quotes

Hell, a ton of ".45's" in movies are played by Star B's because of the blank problem.

Occasionally just for the firing and the next cut has it back to being a 1911.

Don't remember the movie but there was one where one of the big custom builders supplied a matched pair of .45s for the movie. Hand fitted, custom built etc.

When the movie was made they gave the guns back...with the locking lugs ground off to make them work with blanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#33]
It was Thief. Those were Jim Hoag guns. He actually just passed away a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#34]
So what’s the consensus?

In the finale Higgins admits that he’s Robin Masters, but then at the end of the episode he recanted. Was he or not?

I read that because Orson Welles passed, they adjusted the story so Magnum began to suspect Robin Masters was actually a pseudonym for Higgins.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#35]
So what’s the consensus? 

In the finale Higgins admits that he’s Robin Masters, but then at the end of the episode he recanted. Was he or not?

I read that because Orson Welles passed, they adjusted the story so Magnum began to suspect Robin Masters was actually a pseudonym for Higgins.
View Quote

No, Higgins was not Robin Masters. That was a dumb storyline they shoehorned into the series to inject some drama after Welles died.

Thomas Magnum spoke to Robin Masters on numerous occasions early in the series and there's even an episode (maybe two) where he visited Masters as well.

The whole "Is Higgins Masters?" deal was stupid.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

No, Higgins was not Robin Masters. That was a dumb storyline they shoehorned into the series to inject some drama after Welles died. 

Thomas Magnum spoke to Robin Masters on numerous occasions early in the series and there's even an episode (maybe two) where he visited Masters as well.

The whole "Is Higgins Masters?" deal was stupid.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
So what’s the consensus? 

In the finale Higgins admits that he’s Robin Masters, but then at the end of the episode he recanted. Was he or not?

I read that because Orson Welles passed, they adjusted the story so Magnum began to suspect Robin Masters was actually a pseudonym for Higgins.

No, Higgins was not Robin Masters. That was a dumb storyline they shoehorned into the series to inject some drama after Welles died. 

Thomas Magnum spoke to Robin Masters on numerous occasions early in the series and there's even an episode (maybe two) where he visited Masters as well.

The whole "Is Higgins Masters?" deal was stupid.

I’m with you, I was just wondering how others thought about it.

We see the legs and feet of Masters at the end of “Squeeze Play”, the softball game with The ball player nicknamed “Killer”. I thought it was weird that Higgins became shrouded in mystery until I read about Welles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, Higgins was not Robin Masters. That was a dumb storyline they shoehorned into the series to inject some drama after Welles died.

Thomas Magnum spoke to Robin Masters on numerous occasions early in the series and there's even an episode (maybe two) where he visited Masters as well.

The whole "Is Higgins Masters?" deal was stupid.

View Quote
Yeah the episode with Erin Grey from Buck Rogers

Some company is wanting to steal Robin Masters unreleased novels  dictated on tape .

They were in Magnum's music collection and Robin came to pick them up personally
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
"Did you see the sunrise this morning?"
View Quote

My wife and I watched that last night.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

Frank Zappa could rock the 'stache.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Man totally forgot about the terrible theme song it had in the very early episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JumPsCbB7rQ
View Quote
This is funny I just started watching Magnum PI within the last week. Judge Reinihold was in the first two episodes!

I really want an MD-500 now.

Also there is a lot more killing folks and not having any consequences about it then I remember lol.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#41]
The new version of Magnum isn't watchable.  The original had soul.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
The new version of Magnum isn't watchable.  The original had soul.
View Quote

I keep thinking I'll try it, but like most remakes, I'm sure it will taint my affection for the original...
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By rob1035:

I keep thinking I'll try it, but like most remakes, I'm sure it will taint my affection for the original...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rob1035:
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
The new version of Magnum isn't watchable.  The original had soul.

I keep thinking I'll try it, but like most remakes, I'm sure it will taint my affection for the original...

It won’t. It’s so far from the real one that it won’t matter.

If it was called something else, with different character names, it wouldn’t be “that bad” of a show. It’s more of a comedy than anything.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Kingpin38506:

Then you’re not a true aficionado, are you?
View Quote

Avitar checks out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I never understood their affiliation to VM0-2, other than TC's.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#46]
What was the 80s show with the guy flying the amphib all over the jungle?  Monkey something?

ETA  Tales of the Golden Monkey
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:
What was the 80s show with the guy flying the amphib all over the jungle?  Monkey something?

ETA  Tales of the Golden Monkey
View Quote

TALES of the GOLD MONKEY 1980's t.v. opening credits
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah the episode with Erin Grey from Buck Rogers 

Some company is wanting to steal Robin Masters unreleased novels  dictated on tape .

They were in Magnum's music collection and Robin came to pick them up personally
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh yeah in Part two of the first show the guy that owns the nightclub absolutely waxes a dude with a full auto mac-10. He's just fucking running down the street looking for someone with this thing. Thanks FOPA.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyA03dOdvTI
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Originally Posted By Razzman1:
What was the 80s show with the guy flying the amphib all over the jungle?  Monkey something?

ETA  Tales of the Golden Monkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyA03dOdvTI

I loved that show, and Call to Glory as well.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top