Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/28/2022 7:04:25 PM EDT
Story

Scientists have discovered a beautiful ocean world that looks like it was ripped out of the Star Wars prequels. The exoplanet TOI-1452 b was discovered just 100 light-years from Earth. A new paper on the discovery says that the entire planet is covered by a thick layer of water and that it's located far enough from its star to possibly support.

The planet is just slightly greater in size and mass than Earth. While the fact that this exoplanet is covered in water is intriguing, it's also located a perfect distance out from its stars to not be too cold or hot. That means that it could potentially support life, though it's unclear what kind of life might thrive on an ocean world such as this.

This isn't the first time we've seen entire planets or celestial objects covered in water. Some of Jupiter and Saturn's moons are covered in thick water layers. However, it's unclear if the ocean world is truly oceanic, or just covered in a thick layer of ocean that eventually meets rock.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Space isn't real.  Deception of Satan.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
This is how Solaris started
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That's where that fish from half life got beamed in from

No thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is how Solaris started
View Quote

even though the remake wasn't as good as the Russian film, the best part was when Clooney kicked her out the airlock. Two minutes before he did, I said to my wife "I'd have kicked her out the airlock already.."
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
How do they know it is water? It could be blue or whatever slime, it could be the bukkake planet, they guess it is covered in water.

They don't even know what it looks like, they come up with some BS graphic.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Mon Cala!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I like how it says it’s all water so they don’t know what type of life could be supported. Uhhh, perhaps ocean life creatures?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
This is real question.

Why would anything anywhere vary too far from what is on earth?  

I know we don't know everything, but going by physics, stuff should not vary too far from what it is here.

So yea, there is hydrogen and O2 that combined somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the fish!
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
It's the home of Marine Squatch.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure Joe and the commies will ruin that planet too
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]
They take guesses as to the planets makeup but have no idea what sort of life might thrive in water. Science is all but dead.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Also 100 light years away?  That is not exactly current data. Yea, it was there ......once, or maybe now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I for one welcome our aquatic overlords.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the fish!
View Quote

So long?

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also 100 light years away?  That is not exactly current data. Yea, it was there ......once, or maybe now.
View Quote

100 light years really isn’t that far away. I doubt the planet disappeared in the last 100 years.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome!  And it's only 50 days away at warp 9.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They take guesses as to the planets makeup but have no idea what sort of life might thrive in water. Science is all but dead.
View Quote

From your understanding of science maybe. Have you ever heard that water is a solvent? Meaning the solute could be super high levels of salt, or any other number of things that make it incapable of supporting life.

Our planet is a goldilocks planet of sorts. Not to much, not to little, just right.

That's not to say other planets out there aren't similar, but the presence of water does not equal the ability to support life lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Kevin Costner should colonize it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

100 light years really isn’t that far away. I doubt the planet disappeared in the last 100 years.
View Quote

SMH and the guys name is Cosmo.

You can't make this stuff up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wut
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Those aren’t mountains, those are waves…
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Dry land is not a myth…
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure I look at it that way.  That light has been bent and defused, it may be there in it's same form and may not be, not that it disappeared.  

We are learning things faster every day, a lot of old assumptions have been proven wrong.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#27]
“Those aren’t mountains. They’re waves.”
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Earth once had one giant continent (Pangaea) in which the rest of the world was a just one vast ocean.

Climate change along with continental drift fixed that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not sure I look at it that way.  That light has been bent and defused, it may be there in it's same form and may not be, not that it disappeared.  

We are learning things faster every day, a lot of old assumptions have been proven wrong.
View Quote

Maybe you should write a letter to NASA. Not sure there is much bending of light in a vacuum.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#30]
100 light years away is old news. Unless is space news.m

Beat. Now this post is old news.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Is it possible that a planet covered in water as we understand it would not be supporting life?

Isn't water essentially life?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is it possible that a planet covered in water as we understand it would not be supporting life?

View Quote

That'snothowanyofthisworks.gif

I'm just here to say "IN on GD science thread".

This should be fun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#33]
If we made it there, we'd probably forget to scrape the zebra mussels or asian carp eggs off our rocket and ruin it within a year.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Sooooo...

Water is covering all the land?  So they've already had their global warming SUV/BBQ/Woodstove driven catastrophe?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#35]

So that must be were all those submersible UFO's came from?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#36]
InB4 democrats find a way to tax us to prevent global warming on that distant planet
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Flosston Paradise anyone?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I for one am glad that that crappy movie is 100 light years away.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If we made it there, we'd probably forget to scrape the zebra mussels or asian carp eggs off our rocket and ruin it within a year.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Uh...no, water is not life.

Does life spontaneously come into existence where it can, or does it need to be seeded?

If it needs to be seeded, by something like a foreign body which has life on it impacting a planet , has that happened to this planet in question?

I certainly don't know.  Nobody does until we go look.

Furthermore, water is essential to sustain life as we know it here on Earth.  So, it's possible that we will find life which also requires that, on a planet which has water.  It's also entirely possible that there is life in the universe which water kills. Instead of requiring water, it might require chlorine gas to live in.  Etc etc.

We look for planets which have water, because they are best chance of discovering a form of life, that we know for fact at least exists.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Earth once had one giant continent (Pangaea) in which the rest of the world was a just one vast ocean.

Climate change along with continental drift fixed that.
View Quote

Not once.

Many times.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Killer waves, dude!
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

From your understanding of science maybe. Have you ever heard that water is a solvent? Meaning the solute could be super high levels of salt, or any other number of things that make it incapable of supporting life.

Our planet is a goldilocks planet of sorts. Not to much, not to little, just right.

That's not to say other planets out there aren't similar, but the presence of water does not equal the ability to support life lol
View Quote

Terrestrial life evolved to thrive in the chemical composition of water on Earth.

On another planet, with a few billion years of evolution, life will evolve to thrive in the chemical composition of the water there.

The water on either of our planets may be inimical to creatures from the other planet, but I would expect both to have life of some sort.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#45]
In this thread there are posters that don't know about the Dead Sea, right here on this planet and how that might apply to a water world.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Just absolute  bullshit. They have no idea. The science world has become a cartoon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Story

Scientists have discovered a beautiful ocean world
View Quote

Stuff like this is so much bullshit.

They have no idea what it looks like.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just absolute  bullshit. They have no idea. The science world has become a cartoon.
View Quote
I mean.... Artemis I is planned to launch tomorrow morning, to go back to the moon.  It is the most powerful rocket that human kind has ever built. It's standing on the pad right now waiting for day break.  It's certainly real and there is a whole lot of science involved.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#49]
In before Spain claims any treasure found on it
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Am I missing something?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Story

However, it's unclear if the ocean world is truly oceanic, or just covered in a thick layer of ocean that eventually meets rock.

Am I missing something?
Yes.  There is no rocky core.  100% liberal alien tears caused by Trumpthulu.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top