Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.

Dont care where the earth or human race is headed when I am gone.   Gonna consume what I can and leave nothing while watching the fall of Rome.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with OP's premise.

Until proved otherwise, we are the brightest bulbs burning in the universe, and we should endeavor to expand and protect ourselves.

Maybe one day we will discover we are a retarded backwater, but until that day comes, we should carry onward and forward like we own the joint.

While the vast majority of humanity plods along in everyday life, content with the world around them, the best and brightest have always looked forward and asked; " Why Not"

Once we thought that a man traveling faster than a mile a minute would be unable to breath, flight was a silly fantasy, space travel a ridiculous dream, and face to face video communication the stuff of science fiction.

Today we do it all, and have a computer in our pocket that is way better than the one that took us to the moon.

So to the naysayers, and those of you content in your belief system that excludes the need to seek more, step aside, and let the dreamers travel on without you.

My dream is to be Lazarous Long, and watch it all unfold.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So what would be considered success for "humanity " to continue?

Would it be good enough to pass our collective acquired knowledge on? Or just our physical DNA? Or individual consciousness?

Would you be happy enough if you could upload your consciousness to another species? Or would you also need a body to make it real?

What if you could project yourself through dimensions , just not physically?

I feel like we need to habe qweevox do some ayahuasca and ask him this stuff on youtube.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
we are.

Star Shot

But I think we should focus on exploiting the vast resources in our own system before we start thinking about human flights out of the system.

There's more material wealth to be had in the asteroid belt than you or I can even imagine.  The Moon would be a wonderful place to build factories and refineries.

Mars too is a great place for factories as their waste gasses can be used to build up an atmosphere so it's thick enough for people to no longer need pressure suits.  It may never get fully Earth like... but about 100 years is all that's needed to do away with pressure suits.  Then some more warming and some choice bacteria and plants... we could get it pretty darn habitable and maintain that for a few hundred thousand years using existing technology.

There's more water on Europa than on all of Earth.

There's more methane on Titan than on all of Earth.

Venus is tough... but there is a level within it's atmosphere where it isn't too hot... still very hot... but not instant death hot... where you could have floating cities...

Lots of stuff to do in our own system... to build our civilization to the point where we could build the large ships that the long voyage between stars would need.
View Quote
Amazingly, Mercury may also be a good candidate for colonization.

http://einstein-schrodinger.com/mercury_colony.html
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forget religion, forget UFO's, and bigfoot.  None of that is real.   Forget all of the mythologies.  What's really amazing is the human mind.  It's worth saving.  It's worth spreading out into the unknown.  It can't die here.

Do you agree?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/NY-Times-just-admitted-UFOs-are-real-And-that-we-have-an-active-DOD-Investigation-into-the-phenome/5-2061778/
The fact that people really do see shit that looks weird in the sky does not equal "alienz are hurr" lol.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Forget religion, forget UFO's, and bigfoot.  None of that is real.   Forget all of the mythologies.  What's really amazing is the human mind.  It's worth saving.  It's worth spreading out into the unknown.  It can't die here.

Do you agree?
View Quote

Nope. Whats the sense wasting my effort if deaths the end? Theres no afterlife, just nothing, so why should I give a fuck about the future?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone once had an amazingly deep quote that Ill summarize.  From a purely numerical standpoint, the universe HAS to be littered with the graveyards of planets/species that were never able to get off their planets in time to continue existence.  If we fail to get into space, our tiny timespan on this planet, and all the amazing leaps we have made will be for nothing.  Sooner or later, all planets cores stop producing magnetic fields capable of sustaining life, and all stars die.  Even assuming we dont find a way to end our own existence, if we dont beat that clock, we simply become another graveyard planet waiting to be found by the species that made it off their planets.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No.
Get back to me after:

-We have paid off the national debt.
-Have gotten tens of millions of entitled motherfuckers to start pulling their weight.
-Convinced one billion Muslims to settle down and leave us in peace.
View Quote
Yeah, because all of that didn't exist in 1969, and that's the only reason we were able to go to the Moon.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
No, unless warp travel or something like it is discovered/invented we aren't going far enough to matter.  Colonizing inhospitable planets is stupid, as is longterm living in space. We need to fix ourselves and our house/planet before we even think about venturing far off this rock.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Until proved otherwise, we are the brightest bulbs burning in the universe, and we should endeavor to expand and protect ourselves.

Maybe one day we will discover we are a retarded backwater, but until that day comes, we should carry onward and forward like we own the joint.

While the vast majority of humanity plods along in everyday life, content with the world around them, the best and brightest have always looked forward and asked; " Why Not"
<snip>
So to the naysayers, and those of you content in your belief system that excludes the need to seek more, step aside, and let the dreamers travel on without you.
View Quote
 Well stated, my friend.  At kind of a low point in my life right now, this is the kind of dream-of-the-future stuff I need right now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When or if we develop general artificial intellegence they will be better than us, very quickly.  But I still think we need to move in the direction of getting us off this one world.

We have the technology to make moving inside our own solar system relatively fast and cheap.  Project Orion's ship is massive, is a robust, heavily constructed spacecraft, capable of moving tremendous mass at .1C.   That's fast enough to move around our solar system fairly quick, and it's fast enough to reach some of the nearest stars in a lifetime, or two.

If we don't want to use Orion for surface to orbit, due to the atmospheric nuclear explosions, we could use the Sea Dragon system design to launch all the components to assemble in orbit,  and go form there.
View Quote
SpaceX BFR at <$15m a flight is <$100/kg to LEO... cheaper than the space elevator. They want to get it down to $5m

You dont really want to use Orion in the atmosphere.

I like the Zubrin NSWR idea better than Orion, but it may not work. Worth testing. Would be the closest thing to a torchship that is feasible right now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
If we get to a point where not only have we colonized the solar system but the off-world colonies could actually survive the total destruction of Earth, we (as in some form of intelligent biological/technological life that can trace its history back to humans on Earth) probably won't go extinct until we start to bump up against the Heat Death of the universe. In my view, the biggest threat is nuclear war sometime in the next two hundred or so years.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
we are.

Star Shot

But I think we should focus on exploiting the vast resources in our own system before we start thinking about human flights out of the system.

There's more material wealth to be had in the asteroid belt than you or I can even imagine.  The Moon would be a wonderful place to build factories and refineries.

Mars too is a great place for factories as their waste gasses can be used to build up an atmosphere so it's thick enough for people to no longer need pressure suits.  It may never get fully Earth like... but about 100 years is all that's needed to do away with pressure suits.  Then some more warming and some choice bacteria and plants... we could get it pretty darn habitable and maintain that for a few hundred thousand years using existing technology.

There's more water on Europa than on all of Earth.

There's more methane on Titan than on all of Earth.

Venus is tough... but there is a level within it's atmosphere where it isn't too hot... still very hot... but not instant death hot... where you could have floating cities...

Lots of stuff to do in our own system... to build our civilization to the point where we could build the large ships that the long voyage between stars would need.

Now that, I had not even heard of.  Thank you for that, would never even have thot of Mercury as even being in the running.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you agree?
View Quote
Typical BS poll.  You have too much crap in your post to which we are asked to agree.  Get rid of your atheism, your mythology, your UFO and Big Foot crap.  Get rid of your narcissistic "human mind" crap.  Simply put:

Do we need a redundant home world?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Someone once had an amazingly deep quote that Ill summarize.  From a purely numerical standpoint, the universe HAS to be littered with the graveyards of planets/species that were never able to get off their planets in time to continue existence.  If we fail to get into space, our tiny timespan on this planet, and all the amazing leaps we have made will be for nothing.  Sooner or later, all planets cores stop producing magnetic fields capable of sustaining life, and all stars die.  Even assuming we dont find a way to end our own existence, if we dont beat that clock, we simply become another graveyard planet waiting to be found by the species that made it off their planets.
View Quote
Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats the one
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I mean, we’re cute and all, but there’s no actual evidence that we’re something special.  That is merely a self-serving conclusion we’ve reached because it makes us feel good about ourselves.
View Quote
Actually there is. Show me another species on this planet that has the capacity to do what humans have done.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We can't stay here forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We'd have to be because eventually the sun will get too close to be inhabitable.
Can, have, and will.

And the only way to the stars is lots of collectivism and debt. Still down?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow there are so many red herring fallacies in this thread.

As much as I think exploration is good, the answer for humanity is not landing on other planets or getting to other solar systems.

We live in a fallen universe because we're sinful, and redemption from sin is not available in a "geographic cure."

Human dignity comes from the fact that we are created in the image of our Creator.
View Quote
And there is almost certainly millions of other completely dead civilizations out there that believed something similar.  Sorry if I dont want to be a part of another failed society.  Exploration and religion are not mutually exclusive.  To pass up one for the other is both foolish and self destructive.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm all for our kids leaving.  But shouldn't we try, in case they don't turn out to be what we expect.  I mean wonder if they are paperclip producing morons.

We need to proceed as if we're it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
I'm all for our kids leaving.  But shouldn't we try, in case they don't turn out to be what we expect.  I mean wonder if they are paperclip producing morons.

We need to proceed as if we're it.
We should proceed with a plant that requires us to believe we aren't the only ones who can or will do something as if we are the only ones who can or will do something. Neat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, go back to the octopus head chick.

OP agreed, long term survival of the species demands we get our dna off planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously, I don't like this one.

Go back to the bearded guy.  That suits you.
No, go back to the octopus head chick.

OP agreed, long term survival of the species demands we get our dna off planet.
DNA off planet means very little with the associated culture, history, etc. Given one or two generations in a generational ship, we wouldn't recognize the culture. Hell, we wouldn't even recognize the world if we travelled 100 years into the past.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Right now all it would take to exterminate the human race is a big rock from the sky. It happens, and right now we cannot stop it.

For that reason alone we should spread out.

There are plenty more reasons, of course, but that's the important one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
The same thing happens if we DO get into space, probability (luck) determining if that extends the timeline much longer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If we get to a point where not only have we colonized the solar system but the off-world colonies could actually survive the total destruction of Earth, we (as in some form of intelligent biological/technological life that can trace its history back to humans on Earth) probably won't go extinct until we start to bump up against the Heat Death of the universe. In my view, the biggest threat is nuclear war sometime in the next two hundred or so years.
View Quote
I've been told that's unrealistic/impossible. Nuclear powers don't fight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Right now all it would take to exterminate the human race is a big rock from the sky. It happens, and right now we cannot stop it.

View Quote

We just need better early warning and planetary defense systems.  That might actually be a halfway decent reason to build a permanent settlement on the moon.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Typical BS poll.  You have too much crap in your post to which we are asked to agree.  Get rid of your atheism, your mythology, your UFO and Big Foot crap.  Get rid of your narcissistic "human mind" crap.  Simply put:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you agree?

I think having an atheistic worldview drives the point home harder. I am an atheist. When I ponder the fact that no benevolent god is looking out for our species, it leads me to the inescapable conclusion that we must take practical, pro-active steps that assure we do not go extinct.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As much as I think exploration is good, the answer for humanity is not landing on other planets or getting to other solar systems.

......redemption from sin is not available in a "geographic cure.
View Quote
The majoroty of explorers dont do it for redemption or a goegraphic change to escape the human condition.

What a lot of people (and christians) dont understand is that humans will occupy and explore the stars, just not in this age.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We just need better early warning and planetary defense systems.  That might actually be a halfway decent reason to build a permanent settlement on the moon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would require nukes in space. Good luck getting nukes in space to be controlled by a supranational government. Good luck getting them in space with a single nation state without a huge arms race.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That would require nukes in space. Good luck getting nukes in space to be controlled by a supranational government. Good luck getting them in space with a single nation state without a huge arms race.
View Quote

No nukes necessary.  We just need a spacecraft that can attach a small thruster about ten million miles out and give it a gentle shove.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can, have, and will.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We'd have to be because eventually the sun will get too close to be inhabitable.
Can, have, and will.

If we stay here, we go extinct. Earth will be uninhabitable within 1,000,000,000 years. The universe, on the other hand, will not become uninhabitable for probably at least 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years, if not quite a bit longer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm conflicted. Part of me doesn't want to live on this planet anymore. The other part doesn't want to see the infection spread.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who says it CANNOT happen is an idiot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No nukes necessary.  We just need a spacecraft that can attach a small thruster about ten million miles out and give it a gentle shove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you suggest this mass driver is less internationally concerning than nukes in space? And this spacecraft will be able to transit to the asteroid in the span of time between construction of mission after detection and impact of earth with nonnuclear propulsion? And the thruster will be attachable to the surface, to give vectored thrust in the proper vector? 100% guaranteed?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah, because all of that didn't exist in 1969, and that's the only reason we were able to go to the Moon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
Get back to me after:

-Have gotten tens of millions of entitled motherfuckers to start pulling their weight.
National debt in 1969 was $348 billion.That's $2.4 trillion in today's dollars. Our national debt right now is nine times greater than that.
Let's get the bills paid, and then we can talk, okay?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Staying on Earth is an argument of short-term profit-skimming politics against long-term capitalism and net economic profitability.

-it's premised on the idea that economic activity terminated at a midfuture point (by stellar expansion, GRB or big rock) is competitive against economic activity summed over greater time and the resources of more stars
-it is the politically motivated government intervention of preserving meat-based life and landmarks as national parks, over the orders of magnitude GDP increase from converting the system mass to a Dyson swarm (with uploaded life inside)
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And you suggest this mass driver is less internationally concerning than nukes in space? And this spacecraft will be able to transit to the asteroid in the span of time between construction of mission after detection and impact of earth with nonnuclear propulsion? And the thruster will be attachable to the surface, to give vectored thrust in the proper vector? 100% guaranteed?
View Quote

Obviously prepositioning would be required, as would space based radars looking outward, not groundward.  You think popping off a nuke at a 100kiloton (mass) asteroid is going to do a damn thing in space?  Outside the atmosphere a nuke detonation would be pretty fucking boring.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm conflicted. Part of me doesn't want to live on this planet anymore. The other part doesn't want to see the infection spread.
View Quote
Sorry your girl lost
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If we stay here, we go extinct. Earth will be uninhabitable within 1,000,000,000 years. The universe, on the other hand, will not become uninhabitable for probably at least 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years, if not quite a bit longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can, have, and will.

So if we stay here in our current form, we'll go extinct in a time 1000 orders of magnitude longer than the most optimistic estimates of human's sentience? And 1000000 orders of magnitude more than our quasi civilized history? And the only way to extend our timeline (not prevent the end of our timeline) is to funnel multiples of our national treasure to now-oriented corrupt contractors? Seems like a deal, let's do it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it does, we need every edge we can get, since current global stockpiles aren't overmatched anywhere and will be focused on destruction of other nukes, leaving the follow on war to be fought almost entirely with conventional weapons until production/reactivation catches up. But sustainable space travel isn't possible with those questions still in existence.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#40]
No matter who you've been talking to, we can't get there from here.
We won't get to Mars and back let alone leave our solar system.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
National debt in 1969 was $348 billion.That's $2.4 trillion in today's dollars. Our national debt right now is nine times greater than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
Get back to me after:

Honestly, who gives a good fuck about this?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
Get back to me after:

Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Do you agree?
View Quote

Yes. Exploring the infinite possibilities of existence is what we're supposed to be doing. Not going to school for 12+ years, working for 40+ years, then dying. The way we do things now is an incredible waste of our time, and potential.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well, also the extinction of this planet is certain.
View Quote
Yep.

I'm reminded of the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan.   You can't stay here.

The thing about waiting for future generations to do it, is we never know when we might catch a setback while waiting in the lobby.   I mean, even if an asteroid or super volcano doesn't hit us hard, our own mistakes might.   There's no guarantee civilization doesn't hit a "dark ages" kind of setback.   Many historians consider that 1000 year pause on human advancement.  ...and it was completely a manmade setback.

So you have to keep making forward motion.   Because you never know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Obviously prepositioning would be required, as would space based radars looking outward, not groundward.  You think popping off a nuke at a 100kiloton (mass) asteroid is going to do a damn thing in space?  Outside the atmosphere a nuke detonation would be pretty fucking boring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the cost of a constellation of redundant mass drivers 12 million miles out prepositioned around our annual orbit vs a direct to threat nuke stored in an appropriate orbit?Nukes in space are lame, I know that. But fracturing an asteroid changes it from a slug into buckshot. Yeah, worse chance of not getting hit, but better chance of survivability.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes. Exploring the infinite possibilities of existence is what we're supposed to be doing. Not going to school for 12+ years, working for 40+ years, then dying. The way we do things now is an incredible waste of our time, and potential.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you agree?

Universal basic income would free people up to be creative.

Wait, why does everyone hate going to space now?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
This guy gets it.  I'm sure the reality TV in Columbus' time was breathless with tales of his exploits.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We won't, but the silver lining is that the super intelligent AI program that eventually destroys us before our sun goes nova will escape to the stars and tell other civilizations about the slugs that created him.

View Quote
Godamn dude
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Relevant to this thread and highly interesting in its own right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yep.

I'm reminded of the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan.   You can't stay here.

The thing about waiting for future generations to do it, is we never know when we might catch a setback while waiting in the lobby.   I mean, even if an asteroid or super volcano doesn't hit us hard, our own mistakes might.   There's no guarantee civilization doesn't hit a "dark ages" kind of setback.   Many historians consider that 1000 year pause on human advancement.  ...and it was completely a manmade setback.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, also the extinction of this planet is certain.
Yep.

Our own mistakes like climate change or not providing pharmaceutical grade drugs to druggies in OD amounts to wipe that scourge from the face of the earth? What kind of mistakes to you predict will extinct humanity?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top