Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2021 2:43:48 PM EDT
Wasn’t that long ago really. I bought a record of the Star Wars sound track from 1977. Every single thing in it every poster, leaflet, record, sleeve was made/printed in the USA. Now it seems like everything is made in China and not just cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Most things electronic are going to at least partially come from China or Taiwan. I blame Intel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Unions drove all of that out
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If the union rank and file only knew how much bail out money went to their industry’s offshore manufacturing….lol.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wasn’t that long ago really. I bought a record of the Star Wars sound track from 1977. Every single thing in it every poster, leaflet, record, sleeve was made/printed in the USA. Now it seems like everything is made in China and not just cheap stuff.
View Quote

So go out to your garage and make what you need.

When you shop, search for American made products as much as humanly possible.

Feeling bad and buying chinese commie products solves nothing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
No worries scro, if/when China gets their way we'll be making stuff again
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typed from a Chinese commie product.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is part of it but hardly all of it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Even made in the USA just means it was assembled here from parts Made in China.

Sickening. We are funding slave labor.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe some of it but unnecessary government regulations and taxation are the biggest reason. It was by design too, you can bet your ass on that. Go back and look at the huge GDP decline in Obama's first term, Trump pumped it back up but now it's dropping like a rock again.

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually....this old Dell is from Texas.

You lose.......Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you believe that then I guess you think DeWalt drills are 100% made in the USA too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
The company I run makes products, and I try very hard to source materials made in North America.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably 90% of that Dell was manufactured in China, and assembled just enough in Texas to qualify for "Made in the USA"
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#15]
In the '60s and '70s we used to make most of what we consumed and we exported for a positive trade balance.  Since we exported our industry, our wealth followed and as many of our manufacturing jobs left, so did our middle class positions.  Bubba Klington's promise that we can transition to a "service economy" was always a lie.  You can't become middle class by stocking shelves, flipping burgers and waiting on tables.  It's not just Bubba either as our laws changed and American corporations sought tax breaks by going offshore.  Their profits increased but the American worker suffered.  

I remember seeing us lose:

Electronics.  Televisions used to be made by RCA, Philco, Magnavox and others.  We had electronics that were all superceded by Japan.  Stereos, record players, Hi-fi.
Then cameras.  
Automobiles followed in the early '70s with small Datsuns, Hondas, Toyotas.    

It went full bore stupid crazy with all the free trade.  Now we really don't make American consumer products,  Our silverware, washing machines, dryers, china (even Corning Ware and Corelle) are products of the workers' paradise.

So, how's that free trade working out for y'all?

The betrayal was masked by the Greenspan Put with easy credit that buoyed housing prices and gave the middle class the illusion of wealth. "Get an equity loan and the life you deserve!"  I remember those flyers.  Credit card offers every week.  Easy credit.  People bought and felt rich.

Then the housing bust in 2007.  That caused the mortgage backed securities that leveraged up all those liar loans that were sold worldwide to belly up.  Too Big to Fail were going to fail but their loses were socialized via TARP and then we got QE 1 to infinity.  I warned about it but most here LOL.  Now most here see high inflation and some even see hyperinflation.

Oh well.  I was ready in 2008 and I'm better prepared now.  At least I live in the countryside and don't have to worry about the city zombies.

So, what's the difference between money and currency?  If you don't know, then how you save determines if you've saved anything.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The company I run makes products, and I try very hard to source materials made in North America.
View Quote

Most of my customers require domestic materials, it's tough to find some things like fasteners and such.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#17]
We used to make shit in this country. Build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We used to make shit in this country. Build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Its not just happening in merica, dont worry about it and buy what you want.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I worked for a major Asian tire manufacturer for about 30 years, they still make those things in America. The main land Asian competition in unrelenting. They are selling truck and bus radial tires for what it costs us to build them. Their quality or lack of it is unreal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

We use to

We used to

Which is it?  I say this phrase all the time but have never written it.  Which is correct?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#22]
We USED to know grammar and spelling
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you believe that then I guess you think DeWalt drills are 100% made in the USA too.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif
View Quote

So your solution is to throw up your shoulders and say what difference does it make.

At least some people are trying to support American made products.  Checking country of origin, searching around before just plunking down $50 on Amazon.  Some people do still care and realize the global economy that we all heard about 10 years ago will be nothing but a chinese market in 10 years.

Besides, how the hell would you know his computer wasn't made in Texas.  I find that very presumptuous of you - go ahead you can google it, I use duckdduckgo thou
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Recently bought a set of Hankook tires that are made in USA, that was surprising.  

Rubber and other components probably from China though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#25]
James McMurtry "We Can't Make It Here"
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So your solution is to throw up your shoulders and say what difference does it make.

At least some people are trying to support American made products.  Checking country of origin, searching around before just plunking down $50 on Amazon.  Some people do still care and realize the global economy that we all heard about 10 years ago will be nothing but a chinese market in 10 years.

Besides, how the hell would you know his computer wasn't made in Texas.  I find that very presumptuous of you - go ahead you can google it, I use duckdduckgo thou
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

Literally, what?

Also, it wasn't made in Texas. At least not the internals. Maybe it was pieced together in Texas with possibly even an American-made computer case. (also, maybe not)

I don't need to "Google it" either. Common knowledge in the computer world is common knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
... China or Taiwan...
View Quote

Soon to be the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you want to pay 4x the price for everything so some lazy union hacks can extort their employer and get paid $50/hr to push a button?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maybe some of it but unnecessary government regulations and taxation are the biggest reason. It was by design too, you can bet your ass on that. Go back and look at the huge GDP decline in Obama's first term, Trump pumped it back up but now it's dropping like a rock again.

View Quote

Increase annual deficit spending and you will increase GDP, its not a rocket science.

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do you want to pay 4x the price for everything so some lazy union hacks can extort their employer and get paid $50/hr to push a button?
View Quote

That would be better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That would be better.
View Quote

IDK man.  Either way we are funding commies, I'd prefer the ones that can't* vote in our elections.

*not legally anyway
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's hardy it.  There's no Toasters & Blenders Union, no Shoes & Boots Union.   Outsourcing is purely free market driven.  Consumers demand the least expensive product for the most equivalent quality.

This is not just a US phenomenon.  All advanced economies are shedding manufacturing as the consumer trends are the same.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Just bought 300’ of garden hose that’s made in the USA.  Also bought a pressure washer that has a made in USA pump, Honda engine.  Searched all over for in stock USA production.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#34]
While I always try to buy American, it's hard to do most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's assembled in the US. I think there are a select few tech companies left in America that make components. Micron, PNY and a few others make ram and flash memory stateside. Many components are either Taiwanese or Chinese these days, and the Taiwanese companies have opened plants in china.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#36]
1977 was 44 years ago. That’s long ago.

Everything is made in China now. Been that way for long time.

Probably hadn’t been any consumer electronic made here in just as long. Appliances that say “made in USA “ or “assembled in USA” are made up of all Chinese, Mexican or Vietnamese parts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's assembled in the US. I think there are a select few tech companies left in America that make components. Micron, PNY and a few others make ram and flash memory stateside. Many components are either Taiwanese or Chinese these days, and the Taiwanese companies have opened plants in china.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Japanese-based Murata makes power supplies, but they cost at minimum 10x as much.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No worries scro, if/when China gets their way we'll be making stuff again
View Quote

A poor chinaman will be living in your house making stuff you mean.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#39]
When the MBAs took over it all became about the bottom line, if they could save a Nickle per unit it happened.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#40]
depressing

ill be in the closet doing a david carradine
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#41]
My products are 100% made here in the USA.  What I don't make in my shop on my own machines, is made at a shop next door subcontract, or bought from suppliers who produce their parts here (hardware, etc.).

I bought the product line in 2020 and on-shored the few things that were imported (dial indicators, for instance).

But I'm poor as shit for the effort LOL.  Anyone need engine rebuild tooling?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I work for a iron and aluminum foundry company. Privately owned and very profitable. We make all kinds of stuff, automotive, appliance, truck, infrastructure.

Our parts are in "Japanese" and "American" cars and suvs. They're in washing machines. Small engines. Heavy trucks. Trailers. Construction.

there are still companies that make stuff, just not as many.  If we had politicians who understood, like trump did, we'd have a lot more. Our customers were all talking about on shoring when he was in office.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Where can I buy an American made stainless tumbler ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#44]
So many here don’t give a shit it makes me sick.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So many here don’t give a shit it makes me sick.
View Quote

Despite what that other dude was going on about, I do. I care a lot actually. I try to buy American when I can. It's impossible with most things electronic, especially computers. That was all I was saying.

If you want to argue DeWalt is better than Milwaukee because it's not Chinese-owned, then sure. Still Chinese made. You must either concede at some point or live off the land in the mountains. Judging by your ability to post on ARFCOM, you have made that choice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#46]
If anybody wants silverware made in the USA, from US stainless steel, Liberty Tabletop is what you seek. I made a lot of the dies and tooling and it’s US owned, non union made.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#47]
We still do, just not everything anymore.  Combination of government regulations, corporations catering to stockholders, and an education system telling kids their losers if they get their hands dirty for a living have shut down a lot of manufacturing plants.

We can make things competitively here if we wanted to, but quite honestly we no longer have the leadership in the government and the corporations to make it happen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Even in my industry, valves, piping, hydrants all made in china. If you want US made stuff from those same companies it’s a special order and expensive as fuck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm old enough to remember way back when things made in Japan were viewed as suspect.
View Quote

I think it's neat to see stuff saying "made in occupied japan"
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its all fun and games until they find out their pensions went to China, too!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top