Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little FYI,

chaps don't work worth diddly squat when your using an electric chain saw..
View Quote

Why's that? Honest question
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
@houseofmoto
View Quote
Things you'll never forget for life.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Very scary.  

I read an account of a guy splitting with his old wedge and sledge.  The wedge was old and had become somewhat fractured.  Anyway, he cranked down on a strike and a piece of wedge splintered off and punctured his leg (and I assume the artery) and he bled out right at his woodpile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the brother of someone i know was chainsawing in the front yard, no chaps. tapped his leg with the saw, cut his femoral, dead in 5 minutes. when i heard the story there was a doc present who said if he'd been there he woulldnt have been able to save him. i assume if he had something to reach in and clamp the artery he might have been able to but lacking that type of tool, the guy was done.

Very scary.  

I read an account of a guy splitting with his old wedge and sledge.  The wedge was old and had become somewhat fractured.  Anyway, he cranked down on a strike and a piece of wedge splintered off and punctured his leg (and I assume the artery) and he bled out right at his woodpile.

When I was about 15 I was splitting some wood, hit the wedge with the sledge and the wedge popped out at 500mph directly into my shin bone.

That hurt so bad I was wishing I was dead
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
It would be interesting to add a poll and see how common it is for people to wear all the PPE.

I cut lots of wood and have for a long time. I often go out with guys that were professional loggers and some that still are active on FS crews.

Nobody wears chaps. Random dudes I see cutting in the mountains aren’t wearing them either.

Doesn’t mean we’re right or tough or anything…I just really can’t think of a time I’ve seen someone wearing all the PPE.

If I were clearing brush etc I might want a pair.

There have certainly been times I’ve wished I was wearing catchers knee/shin guards while splitting though…

I guess it’s safe to say you’d likely never be wrong for wearing it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When did chaps become "mandatory"? I remember cutting wood as a youngster and I don't remember them being a thing.
View Quote

America is a bit more fat, out of shape, drunk and drugged up than it used to be. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Luckily, I have a strong understanding of physics and a lot of experience with stabby/cutty/spinny/grindy parts.

Know how some people can immediately see the potential for bad shit to happen and they correct a course of action to avoid it?  I'm that guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just don't saw my legs.  It has worked great for me.

Yup, and I just don't crash my car or get flat tires either.

The difference is, those 2 things are sometimes not avoidable.

I know where my body is when I'm using power tools.  I make sure my extremities do not get in the path of the stabby/cutty/spinny/grindy parts.

Sadly, when it comes to rotating objects, physics might have other plans.

Sometimes the stabby/cutty/spinny/grindy parts come to you.

Luckily, I have a strong understanding of physics and a lot of experience with stabby/cutty/spinny/grindy parts.

Know how some people can immediately see the potential for bad shit to happen and they correct a course of action to avoid it?  I'm that guy.

And other people can't cut down a tree without almost killing their neighbor by dropping a tree on their head, right DK-Prof?

Nothing wrong with Chaps, I don't own any and have no desire to, because I brain things out before I go cutting on stuff, and I respect what is about to happen when thousands of pound are suddenly no longer under tension.

My neighbor killed himself a few years ago, cutting on a tree that another tree had fallen on. His grandson (my cousin in law) watched it happen, and drove to my house to get help. But it was far too late.

Chaps won't save you from stupidity.

If you are fat, clumsy, drunk, dumb, and/or inexperienced, by all means, put on some safety gear. Personally I only use a hat and safety glasses, to keep shit out of my eyes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Funny how you guys take "I do this" as me suggesting "everybody should do this or they're a pussy!"

If you want to wear chaps, wear chaps.  I'll continue not wearing them.  See how easy that is?  No need to get all bitchy about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When did chaps become "mandatory"? I remember cutting wood as a youngster and I don't remember them being a thing.

Remember how we used to ride our bikes a lot without helmets and pads?  Remember how we used to jump on a trampoline that wasn't surrounded by a safety net?

Remember how we didn't die?

It's exactly like that.

My grandpa dressed his wounds WWII with dirty rags and sulfa powder. He didn't need fancy tourniquets and blood-clotting gauze and antibiotics and medical airlifts like the pussies of today's military.

My dad never wore safety glasses, sun glasses, gloves or earpro in 50 years of construction and heavy equipment and shooting. He's deaf and mostly blind now, and his fingers don't work anymore, but dammit he's not soft like today's nancy-boys!

Funny how you guys take "I do this" as me suggesting "everybody should do this or they're a pussy!"

If you want to wear chaps, wear chaps.  I'll continue not wearing them.  See how easy that is?  No need to get all bitchy about it.

My chaps don't work unless you wear yours too!

Why do you hate Grandma!?!?1
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If the engine is not running, why does it matter?
View Quote

Cause he appears to be trying to start it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My mailman dropped in the office one day with mail.  Cool guy.  Said was going to cut some wood over the weekend.  I said "be sure to wear your chaps."  He kinda chuckled.  Came in on Monday and reminded me of my suggestion and then showed me his leg.
View Quote

You jinxed him.... he'd have been fine if you hadn't put that in his head.

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
You usually seem pretty smart, this is an astoundingly retarded comment.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That sucks, I got a milwaukee for light stuff (shockingly good saw by the way) and never even thought about it.
View Quote

Chaps don't stop electric saws though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

K.  I've been running power tools and lawn equipment since I was a pre-teen.  I spent about a decade in a machine shop running both manual and CNC lathes and mills.

The most serious injury I've ever had from any of those tools was a burn on my finger from a bench grinder with the side guard removed..

My dad was a safety Nazi in a "Pay attention to what you're doing" sort of way and beyond safety glasses, I've never felt the need for PPE unless I'm welding.

Again, do whatever you want.  I'll just continue my thing and not hurting myself.
View Quote

I always cut the strings off of my hoodies.

I always wear (at minimum) eye protection (and ear protection when cutting metal) using angle grinders or other loud/spinny tools, especially when cutting metal.

I don't let skin be visible when welding.

I keep the guards on my tools.

I'm careful.

I just never felt a need for chaps, I think each cut through before I start. I don't have my legs in a place where if/when the chainsaw kicks back or finishes the cut that it's going to hit me. And I make sure that when tension is suddenly released I won't be in the way when shit goes kinetic.

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, no they aren't.  They're a suggestion.

Millions of people get by just fine without them every year.  If they make you feel better, wear them, but don't act like everybody without them is going to end up with a bloody stump where their leg used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Christ. Someone arguing against PPE. You can't make this shit up. Chaps are a requirement when running a saw.

No, no they aren't.  They're a suggestion.

Millions of people get by just fine without them every year.  If they make you feel better, wear them, but don't act like everybody without them is going to end up with a bloody stump where their leg used to be.

I've also chopped wood for years without steel toe boots, I still have all 12 of my toes left.

Pay attention to what you are doing, and do it in a safe way, within reason. You can't control where a piece of a metal from a grinding blade will go, but a tree is a bit more predictable.

I use PPE when I need to, I'll never wear chaps to use a chain saw. I'm not saying other people shouldn't (plenty of dumb people around), but there are a lot more dangerous things involved in cutting a tree than not remember to move your leg out of the path of the chainsaw.

FWIW I've known two carpenters (a framer and a trim/cabinet guy) who took out a chunk of their hand with a circular saw. The framer also routinely shoots himself with his nail gun.

If you aren't paying attention (or just stupid) no amount of PPE with save you, or the person you are about to drop a tree on (could be the same person).

Darwin is a harsh mistress.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a pair from Bailey's after a friend of mine cut his leg when the handle on his saw broke.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have 36 trees down from Hurricane Ida.  It is a mess trying to get around to even buck limbs, much less cut the logs. I didn't even feel it happen, just noticed it when I took them off for the day.
View Quote

And that's why some people need to wear chaps, and other's don't.

Maybe next time try not putting your legs/feet in the path of where the saw will be going (especially when it finishes the cut).

Those chaps aren't going to save you every time from every mistake you can make while cutting.

It's the same rule as running a mill or a lathe.

Stop, count to 10, before every cut. So you won't be counting the fingers you don't have.

Before every cut, ask yourself what is going to happen as you finish it, where is a safe place for your legs, feet, if you are dropping something, what will happen as the cut finishes, will the blade get pinched, will it start to fall and splinter before you can finish the cut, what is it going to fall on, if you are cutting vertically, what will happen to the chainsaw when it drops, are your legs/feet under what you are cutting, and in the path of the blade as the cut finishes?

That's just for static stuff, wind fallen trees are even more dangerous, especially if the root ball is attached (they can flip the tree back vertical as you cut off the top part).

Lots of other stuff. Yuo just have to take your time and think about it as you cut, don't just go hacking away.

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I am more of a shorts and flip flops kinda guy when running the Stihls. I have 4.

Worse injury I have had while running a chain saw was the chain jump off the bar and wrap up into my gloved hand and chew up my knuckles pretty good. Bar had loosened ever so slightly.  And I attribute it as my fault

My legs are never in a position to be in the same place, the same time as the bar/chain of the chainsaw.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Probably would have been a little bigger than what was on the chaps.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I bounced a chainsaw off my kneecap once about 20 years ago, tripped while taking a step forward and bent over to catch my balance, saw was running full throttle.  Left a 6-8 inch diagonal cut in the front of my dickies.  I didn't feel anything but the blood running down my shin, so I was afraid to look at first.  Spread open the cut on my pants and discovered I had worse injuries falling off my bike when I was a kid.  I guess I got lucky.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Husqvarna 531309503 Classic Chaps, Grey
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really need some. I spend a few hours a year using one and I’m not formally trained.

Recommend me some GD. I want some good ‘uns.

Husqvarna 531309503 Classic Chaps, Grey

x2
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A little FYI,

View Quote

Why is this so?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A little FYI,

The reason is some dont, is gas saws get their power from rpm. So when they get the fibers in them it slows them down to where they dont have torgue and stall out. An electric motor makes all of it torgue at 0 rpm, ie they slow down and produce more torgue. This allows them to break or work thru the fibers.

edit some chaps have stronger fibers, most newer chaps are designed to handle electric saws. Just do your research.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I always do. ??
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]
WTF are you people doing that you need chaps? Someone who's chaps saved them, describe your cut and what you were doing please.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
A slip, an injury or just being startled isn't worth the risk. As an old guy in pretty good shape I do whatever I can to mitigate injury to myself
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Guy i used to work with and lives in the same neighborhood about damn near took his own leg off below the knee cutting firewood with a chainsaw. He was home alone at the time and somehow managed to drive himself to the ER despite almost passing out due to blood loss. His leg is not a pretty sight still to this day and its been many years. He cut all his own firewood for decades --he wears chaps now. Alot of guys that have seen his leg do too.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top