Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh Lord its hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way, I cant wait to look in the mirror, I get better lookin each day!
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

unless this is your first encounter with him it should be no surprise that his story is entirely a fabrication.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Posted: Today 7:59:26 AM CDT
Went to Discount Tire yesterday

Discount Tire is closed on Sunday, just saying

unless this is your first encounter with him it should be no surprise that his story is entirely a fabrication.

Each of his threads should start with, “Once upon a time, there was an extremely rich, handsome and youthful entrepreneur and real estate baron who lived in Houston.  And on a daily basis he would observe without fail the underclass of his city…”
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Went to Discount Tire yesterday to replace all four tires in my truck. While I was waiting there, I saw at least 10 more people come in wanted to buy tires for their vehicle. Every single one of them acted like spending $600+ was a complete financial disaster. Several had their credit cards declined. Several inquired about payment plans. And several others are part about coupons.  And several wanted discount tire to fix the tires for free.

Is average person really that broke right now? Replacing the tires for me was an inconvenience, however these people it was literally a complete financial disaster.
View Quote

plebs love  their 1300 iphones, gadgets and 300 man bun haircuts, but these  NPCs cant even change  their own oil or a tire.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
... Discount Tire *DOES* fix tires for free though.

They've done it for me once... and I didn't ask them to do it for free. I expected to pay. Thats why I went back to them to have my tires replaced.

That being said, I used to buy used tires. Here in the Phoenix metro area, they are a lot of Mexican "Llantera" places that sell tires for dirt cheap.

Inflation is hurting people in all areas. When food prices, gas prices, and everything else has gone up... a sudden $600 expense can seem very VERY painful for a lot of people.

Fuck Joe Biden.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Ignoring the obvious fictional story for  a moment,

No one in this country is poor.  Poor people live in  slums in Venezuela or Calcutta. Any American is filthy rich compared to those folks.

What we have are people with no impulse control, inability to look past tomorrow and a lack of budgeting ability.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My work truck is going to need 4 tires soon, it'll be about $900 each tire not counting labor.

Edit labor is in house, also not counting valve stems
View Quote

I'm a retired mechanic. Knowing the monkeys that most places employ for tire work, I'm just about ready to purchase a tire machine and balancer. I have a couple of vehicles that need tires, my Brother has a few and a couple of friends also do.

They all help me out with airplane stuff so it would be kinda nice to help them...

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's America. Got a $1000 iphone but cant afford new tires
View Quote
Ahh the typical ARFCom complaint.

ARFCommer: *Sees someone with a smart phone,... literally any smart phone. Could be a cheap piece of shit from "Straight Talk"*
ARFCOMMER: "OMGWTFBBQ!!! YOU CANT AFFORD $600, BUT YOU HAVE A $1000 IPHONE!"

EVEN IF IT IS a $1000 iPhone, hardly anyone actually pays $1000 all at once, for that iphone. Most of the time, they get a bit of a discount with a contract renewal.. and they "finance" the iPhone through their plan.

I got an S21... but I got it as part of some promotion, and I think total out of pocket was like $200 or something and my monthly bill only increased by about $10/month or less, for two years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I spent $1,700 on four tires for my truck and $650 on my wife's Mustang.

That was a fun day.
View Quote

I purchased 19 tires last year. Five 35" Cooper Discoverer STT Pros, four 35" BFG A/T KO2s, five 33" BFG A/T KO2s, and five 32" Goodyear Trail Runner A/Ts. Add mounting/balancing to the cost.

I don't even want to do the math on those totals.

The fact that so many people don't save any money to cover a measly $600 is pretty bad. Even as a poor in college making $9.10/hour part-time, I always had a few grand of extra spending money.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They've done it for me once... and I didn't ask them to do it for free. I expected to pay. Thats why I went back to them to have my tires replaced.

That being said, I used to buy used tires. Here in the Phoenix metro area, they are a lot of Mexican "Llantera" places that sell tires for dirt cheap.

Inflation is hurting people in all areas. When food prices, gas prices, and everything else has gone up... a sudden $600 expense can seem very VERY painful for a lot of people.

Fuck Joe Biden.
View Quote

its a selling point when buying from them, free tire repair, free tire rotations. that way they are more likely to get to sell you the next tires you need if they spot the faults first.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

its a selling point when buying from them, free tire repair, free tire rotations. that way they are more likely to get to sell you the next tires you need if they spot the faults first.
View Quote
They did it for tires that I did not buy from them, IIRC. They should have known, or I may have even told them as much (it was a while ago).
My local discount tires, also does free tire inflations. They have a guy who's only job is to fill up tires... there's usually a line.

I feel filling up tires is enough of a pain in the ass, that I'm usually willing to wait in line a little bit to have someone else do it for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Honda Accord
Lexus ES 350
Honda Civic
Chevrolet Transverse
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Malibu
Toyota Camry
Etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any options to finance? Also, did you happen to see what kind of cars they were driving?

Honda Accord
Lexus ES 350
Honda Civic
Chevrolet Transverse
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Malibu
Toyota Camry
Etc

Bet they have the newest iPhone and a 500k house on a 87k a year jerb
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I mean...I act that way because I'm a cheap bastard.  However, I learned many years ago that tires are one of those things you don't go with the cheap option.

Edit:  To address your second part about fixing tires, does that mean fix flats?  The place I go to fixes my flats for free if I bought them at their place.
View Quote

I cheaped out on tires once. Replaced two tires on my car with the cheapest they had. Partly this was because we were paying off all our debt and I wanted my cash to go to that.

Anyway, the two cheap tires didn't outlast the two older tires I didn't replace. So never again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#14]
It is called “disposal income.”  When the Democrats come into power they always squeeze the middle class so that they have no disposable income available for out of the ordinary expenses. The Joe Biden/Kamala Harris administration has instituted burdensome inflation on food, fuel, and housing squeezing the last available dollar out of middle class budgets.

The goal is to create a dependance on big Government to come to their aid. The Democrats hate the Republicans because they promote self reliance and smaller government.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#15]
These people need to shop around more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was pore back in grad school I'd buy takeoffs from junkyards.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My beater/farm truck needs new tires- 1994 F150. I hope it's less than $600 for all 4.
View Quote
I picked up some Cooper AT3's from Tire Rack for $155 each, not sure what other options they had (I was looking for Coopers specifically).
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Why do you think all these extended car warranty companies like Car Shield are advertising so heavily on TV? People don't budget money for car repairs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any attractive customers looking for an, hmm, side job?  It is the end of the month.
View Quote

In the Houston ghetto?  Highly unlikely to be anywhere near attractive even by GD’s low standards.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's my beater car 1996 Nissan Maxima that I keep running .

Don't care where I park it or if the dog is full of mud when he jumps in the back seat  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drove a Ford Festiva for a few years. There was something oddly satisfying about purchasing 4, 12" diameter tires from walmart for 60.00 out the door. I took them to work then mounted and balanced them on our machine. The road hazard warranty was 12.00/tire. No, I didn't get it...

I do miss the cheap tires but not the car....

It's my beater car 1996 Nissan Maxima that I keep running .

Don't care where I park it or if the dog is full of mud when he jumps in the back seat  

I've always been a cheap fucker with my daily drivers. I drove an 1100.00 Neon for almost 10 years. I put 240K miles on it.
Every dime I saved was invested into my 401K or rentals here in Florida. It's paid off incredibly well.

I love people who purchase new cars. Where would I get used cars for me to purchase ????

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went to Discount Tire yesterday to replace all four tires in my truck. While I was waiting there, I saw at least 10 more people come in wanted to buy tires for their vehicle. Every single one of them acted like spending $600+ was a complete financial disaster. Several had their credit cards declined. Several inquired about payment plans. And several others are part about coupons.  And several wanted discount tire to fix the tires for free.

Is average person really that broke right now? Replacing the tires for me was an inconvenience, however these people it was literally a complete financial disaster.

That iPhone is $42 per month for 2 years.  For even the poorest, most can swing that, or even $0 for some of the cheap phones.

But I catch your drift.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

How long were you there to see all this?
I couldn't imagine sitting in a tire store as long as it appears you did.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I don’t think I’ve spent less than a grand on four tires in many years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#24]
People have a problem spending money on something they can't touch and use or enjoy (iPhone, lunch, cable tv). They will bitch about tires, brakes, and electric bills, but have no problem buying shit, eating out, or happy hour drinks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I shopped around and ordered my last set online. Found a brand name for $59 per tire, so $240 for the set. Took them to the place that does our work trucks and paid $80 for mount and balance. All in for $320 sometimes a little effort and planning pays off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Each of his threads should start with, “Once upon a time, there was an extremely rich, handsome and youthful entrepreneur and real estate baron who lived in Houston.  And on a daily basis he would observe without fail the underclass of his city…”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Posted: Today 7:59:26 AM CDT
Went to Discount Tire yesterday

Discount Tire is closed on Sunday, just saying

Thanks for that. I had no idea....

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#27]
4 new tires on my Fusion last month $855 out the door.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Live humble my friend a lot of people out there struggling right now...The average American doesn't have $1000 in their savings account let alone to their name.

Mortgage/rent, Day/childcare, and rising food/transportation costs...It's going to get ugly...Get ready for another recession COMING SOON...to a neighborhood near you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've always been a cheap fucker with my daily drivers. I drove an 1100.00 Neon for almost 10 years. I put 240K miles on it.
Every dime I saved was invested into my 401K or rentals here in Florida. It's paid off incredibly well.

I love people who purchase new cars. Where would I get used cars for me to purchase ????

View Quote

Used car market is insane.
In some ways cheaper to buy new.
Used ford suv?
2400$ water pump change
1800$ ptu change
$$$$$ turbos repalced
$$$ repalce turbos again becasuse stupid lazy mechanic didn't change the caked up oil feed tube.
Timing belt
Timing chain
Well you know this stuff you are a mechanic.
I don't turn wrenches, cheaper for me to buy new or very fresh off the lease.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Always has been. It's not just now, there was a good decade plus where if I needed a  tire suddenly it would have been a real damn problem. That was 20 years ago, and all better now, but still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always has been. It's not just now, there was a good decade plus where if I needed a  tire suddenly it would have been a real damn problem. That was 20 years ago, and all better now, but still.

Different people are always in various stages of their lives, but O_P likes to shit on the poors whenever he gets the chance.  

Those people may have had been students.  They might have been people with 3-6 months of savings but it has been 3-6 months since they were able to find gainful employment, and tires aren't something they budgeted in their 3-6 months of emergency expenses, just due to the fact that passenger tires aren't replaced that often.

Case in point, my parents were dirt poor when the immigrated.  They would have treated a $600 tire purchase as a financial disaster.  I remember my dad buying one tire at a time, and a used tire at that.  I'm sure O_P would have looked down on my dad if he saw him at Discount Tire looking with a clapped out Pontiac Bonneville looking for cheap tires.

Fast forward to today, dad just bought a new BMW X5 and I am fucking ecstatic for him for finally enjoying the fruit of his labors.

But he still doesn't feel the need to make off hand comments about people who may just be in a bad spot in life.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote

Seriously. I’d love to spend $600 on tires for my truck as it needs tires badly. But as it is I’m looking at $1200+ and I just keep putting it off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote

Yeh no shit. A set for my truck would add a “1” to the front of that. Hell probably more now, that was 2019 prices. Cant wait to see what a new set is gonna run me in a year or two.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#33]
There were many times in my younger life that $20 was the difference.
I used to plan on eating at least one meal a week with my patents.
I once traded in a vehicle because it needed new tires and i didn't have $600 for tires but i did have good enough credit to buy a car with new tires.

It's easy for people with good jobs/incomes to think they have everything they do based soley on their ability to work hard or work smart.
And people who have less don't work hard or are lazy or stupid.

Fact is a lot of hard working, smart working, not lazy people just don't get the opportunities you did.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I buy online, and mount them myself.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#35]
600 for 4 tires???
You shopping at Aldi?

I'm going to need tires for my 2004 Trailblazer here soon, I'm not sure I can get two for that.

I know on my lowered 2000 S10 Blazer with 20s (255/30/20) they were right at just over 350 a piece like 8 years ago.  I had too see them now..

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote

No shit. I paid just under a grand for a new set of tires a few weeks ago at discount tire.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#37]
$1400 to put shoes on my wife's expedition this month

tires on my truck are about bald but i'm holding out in hope that one day ford will get around to building the sonofabitch i've got on order
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Where the fuck you getting 4 truck tires for $600?
View Quote

They give them passenger tires that are sized for a truck. Not meant to carry a real load.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So much this. And what are you doing at Discount Tires, OP - would you trust a product from Discount Parachute?

Like other product categories that are often debated, tires are just one of those things you shouldn’t cut cost corners on. Always get mine done at the dealership (and typically they are competitively priced/try to work a deal for me). 4 all-season shoes from a major brand that are specifically targeted for my vehicle, driving habits and with long life expectancy always cost me around $1K +. Have accepted it as part of TCO.
View Quote

You do realize Discount Tires sells the exact same tire as the dealership.  Same brand, model, and sizes.  ‘Discount Tires’ is the name of the store -not the name of the tires.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

And those same people probably have a 7 year loan out on a brand new $50K truck, a 20yr loan our on a $30K camper, and $20K worth of debt on each of the five credit cards they own..........unfortunately, most people are in debt up to their eyeballs.  Keeping up with the Jones's is a real thing.....

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#41]

I can easily afford that....but that's still fucking ridiculous it costs that much
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bit the bullet and bought a new Silverado 2500 HD and a new slide in truck camper for my up coming retirement .

I figure I have worked hard my entire life and want to travel a bit and see Alaska .

I know some will say it's nuts to spend that much cash on something that will depreciate but at this point in my life it's just money .
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fuck Joe Biden.
View Quote

Yep. I've gone into discount tire to get a tire patched up several times. I've also used them for their free rotations once or twice too. I always give the guys a 4 pack of red bull for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
$600.00 for four new truck tires.......  Just what did you have to do to get that kind of price?
View Quote

A few years ago I got 4 Cooper adventurers at Pep Boys for my old Ford truck for 6 and change. They weren’t big tires though, just a stock and very common size. Not the norm but it can be done for regular trucks.  Personally I don’t like buying tires but they are a necessary expense. Back to the op, I think they’ve done studies and found most households don’t have $500+ in disposable funds laying around.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not my first encounter with  NH
I live in the same city and have a good idea of the neighborhoods he writes about
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Lol Houston thread

ETA: $600 wouldn't buy ONE of my Jeep tires
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tires are expensive, and some people are strapped for cash. I don't think this is anything new. I've seen people running on bald tires ever since I was a kid, poor people have poor ways.
View Quote

They were running on slicks. A very expensive type of tire.....lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote

Agreed. The tires for mybtruck are like $350 a piece x6
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Welcome to residential hvac..this is very very typical..

I show up to a nice $700k home with boat in driveway, maybe a jet ski in the garage, a tricked out golf cart to ride the neighborhood in, a new full size SUV, a Side by Side, etc..3 young kids,etc..

Well Karen your unit is shot, we need to do a change out.

??...can't you just put more "stuff" I it like last time? No..give a quote for $8500.00]  and they start yelling at you..and play Russian roulette on their credit cards. Of course thier credit maxed out as they have notes on the house,boat, golf cart.etc..

Unreal
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top