Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC the last time I put rubber on the pickup I went with the OEM because they lasted for about 60K miles. Dunlop Grand Trek.

About $500 for 4 out the door.

Not too awful bad.
View Quote

I priced a set of tires for one of my cars 3 months ago: $450 shipped.  

Like an idiot, I procrastinated; the same tires are now $650, and I'm starting to really need them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And what are you doing at Discount Tires, OP - would you trust a product from Discount Parachute?

Like other product categories that are often debated, tires are just one of those things you shouldn’t cut cost corners on. Always get mine done at the dealership (and typically they are competitively priced/try to work a deal for me). 4 all-season shoes from a major brand that are specifically targeted for my vehicle, driving habits and with long life expectancy always cost me around $1K +. Have accepted it as part of TCO.
View Quote

This has to be the single most retarded post in the thread. Please elaborate on how the exact same brand and model of tire is somehow superior when purchased from a dealer.

I would have no problem buying tires from a dealer if they offered the best price. But that has never been the case for me. Even just last fall with the dealer offering a “Buy 3, get 1 free” deal and the tires being priced at normal market prices, Discount Tire still smoked them on price for the exact same tire.

Discount also offers interest free promotional financing, additional discounts for using that financing, manufacture’s rebates and a military discount. They also have fantastic customer service.

Discount Tire is the only place I buy new tires and has been for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#3]
My KO2's were $400 a piece with warranty and tax and I got the best deal around.

Inflation sucks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Triggerstuck how are they compared to the old super sports? Last couple times I swapped mine they were getting hard to come by as they were getting phased out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  $1316 for four Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 245/40-19s on Saturday.  That was installed.

@Triggerstuck how are they compared to the old super sports? Last couple times I swapped mine they were getting hard to come by as they were getting phased out.

I wish I could help you, but this is the first set of the PS I’ve bought.  They were for my wife’s Kia Cadenza.  She got to test them yesterday when she went to Dallas.  She said they felt very responsive and better than the Michelin’s that came with the car.  I’m sorry, but I don’t remember what model Michelin they replaced.

@packingXDs
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I just heard a tale about that regarding my not-very-good sister-in-law and her total POS husband.

Her van needed new tires badly.
He bought two tires from a junkyard and put them on it.
One of the junkyard tires blew out a week after installing, and the van is now wrecked.
He saved a couple hundred bucks in return for putting his family in danger and giving himself a $2-3K repair bill that he can't pay.  Not that he will.  He'll just expect my SILs parents to bail her out and pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry, you said two tires or four tires?

$600 sounds more like two tires...
View Quote

Yeah two for 600 is about normal
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@Cobradriver

Have a word with her beforehand explaining that the deal you gave her was between you and her and was done as a favor for someone else and her friends will pay your normal rate.

She's likely told her girlfriends you rebuilt her entire brake system for $50 and a case of beer and has them all keyed up you'll do the same for them.

When you charge her friends your usual rate they'll get wide-eyed and think you're a real shit ass.

Ask me how I know this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fast forward to a year later and I get a text asking when I'll be back up north because she'd like to buy me dinner and a few of her friends need work done on their vehicles....

@Cobradriver

Have a word with her beforehand explaining that the deal you gave her was between you and her and was done as a favor for someone else and her friends will pay your normal rate.

She's likely told her girlfriends you rebuilt her entire brake system for $50 and a case of beer and has them all keyed up you'll do the same for them.

When you charge her friends your usual rate they'll get wide-eyed and think you're a real shit ass.

Ask me how I know this.

I know what my skillset is worth. I charged a very fair rate for an easy 7 hours labor. I don't mark up parts but I do add in time for chasing them down. I think I charged her 45/hr cash and she was so happy with the work I did she gave me another hundred.

I may be a whore but I ain't cheap whore....

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wish I could help you, but this is the first set of the PS I've bought.  They were for my wife's Kia Cadenza.  She got to test them yesterday when she went to Dallas.  She said they felt very responsive and better than the Michelin's that came with the car.  I'm sorry, but I don't remember what model Michelin they replaced.

@packingXDs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  $1316 for four Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 245/40-19s on Saturday.  That was installed.

I wish I could help you, but this is the first set of the PS I've bought.  They were for my wife's Kia Cadenza.  She got to test them yesterday when she went to Dallas.  She said they felt very responsive and better than the Michelin's that came with the car.  I'm sorry, but I don't remember what model Michelin they replaced.

@packingXDs

No worries.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I bet a lot of these people are the ones who decided not to come back to work after the pandemic
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#10]
175/70R14 84T
is a poors tire

low profile Z rated 20s are not for poors

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote

EDIT : I paid a lot more than that to put tires on the mrs’ SUV..
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn’t get two for $600
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Oddly enough, my car is at discount tire right now in Tomball getting new shoes and I’m eating lunch next door.   305/20/20 Michelin PS4S are $511 a tire.   That’s up $150 IIRC since the last time I replaced these.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#14]
crying about $600 for tires to put on their rented 36" wheels with spinny centers on a upside down financed 92 Chevy

sounds about right
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Right there is the problem. No one is saying it's a $1,000 phone is a $42/month phone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That iPhone is $42 per month for 2 years.  For even the poorest, most can swing that, or even $0 for some of the cheap phones.

But I catch your drift.
Right there is the problem. No one is saying it's a $1,000 phone is a $42/month phone.

Not in GD land.  In GD land, which is similar to Mayberry in 1950, people plunk down $2000 cash to buy a phone and then live in the dark because the power got shut off.

A bum sitting on the sidewalk can pull in $40/day, if not 3-4x that much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Cigarettes, booze and drugs have priority over other things for some people.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Was in the tire shop in the fall. Lady come in crying about a bald tire and inspection sticker rejection. Complained about cost of tires to put on her new custom pink rims. Started crying and asked who she needed to blow to get ahead in life.  Everybody just stared and tried not to laugh.
Life choices and all that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Right!  Just spent $1,300 for tires on my truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.

Same here!  $600 barely puts tires on a bicycle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just heard a tale about that regarding my not-very-good sister-in-law and her total POS husband.

Her van needed new tires badly.
He bought two tires from a junkyard and put them on it.
One of the junkyard tires blew out a week after installing, and the van is now wrecked.
He saved a couple hundred bucks in return for putting his family in danger and giving himself a $2-3K repair bill that he can't pay.  Not that he will.  He'll just expect my SILs parents to bail her out and pay for it.
View Quote

I worked at an Auto Parts chain store for a few years a long time ago.
It's was pretty sad how many guys would buy the cheapest parts, like breaks, and say it was "only for my wife's car".
I mean, I assume many were just trying to be funny in a weird and creepy way but it was at least once a week.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]
$650 mounted and balanced for 4 Cooper Discovery AT's for my Sierra. 265/70R16. One reason to stick with 16 & 17" rims on trucks. My Odyssey costed me $950 installed for Pirelli Scorpion AS. 18" rims.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's always been like that from my experience even going back to the 90s.
View Quote
Exactly, this is nothing new. Pleanty of people driving around in vehicles they car barely make the monthly payment on and sure the hell can't buy new tires and often will trade the vehicle in as a solution
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I get by- and quite nicely-- with a Samsung A-12 I bought at Walmart for $126.

This "I need a $1200 iPhone is a complete and total load of horse shit.
View Quote

You got a jank ass poverty phone plan if they don't have promotion that knock the phones costs down by at least half or more. I got the new 13 for like $400
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
$650 mounted and balanced for 4 Cooper Discovery AT's for my Sierra. 265/70R16. One reason to stick with 16 & 17" rims on trucks. My Odyssey costed me $950 installed for Pirelli Scorpion AS. 18" rims.
View Quote

I’ve got 15” wheels on my Jeep for the same reason.

It came to me with nasty chrome “dish” wheels. I ran them until they got rusty and started to make me uncomfortable, then switched to matte black coated aluminum. MUCH more durable wheels, and I kept the size because the tires are so much cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote

I always budget $200/each mounted, balanced, new valve stems, etc....

$600 is pretty low, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any attractive customers looking for an, hmm, side job?  It is the end of the month.
View Quote

For a $600+ valued item?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd love to get 4 new tires for $600.

I bought 5 for my Wrangler in December for $1400 out the door.
View Quote

Off topic but wranglers are the easiest rides to replace tires for.

Jeep bro buys new wrangler, drives from dealership to wheel guy and has new ones put on.

Jeep guy then sells OEM wheels/rubbers for like $250 with 11 miles on them.  Did that twice and just scrapped the rims each time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Payment plan for tires? Yikes
View Quote

Why not? They are carrying their cell phone purchase over 24 months.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just checked Costco a set of 4 Michelin - CrossClimate2 is $1070 installed. Yea I'm not looking forward to that either

They do have Michelin sales occasionally though.
View Quote

Every other month, to be exact. Like clockwork.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Like an idiot, I procrastinated; the same tires are now $650, and I'm starting to really need them.
View Quote

Dibs on guns as you go 80mph in your 5,000lb truck on chinese tires.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#30]

I've purchased 6 sets of tires since january.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why not? They are carrying their cell phone purchase over 24 months.
View Quote

Why wouldn't you do that if its interest free (assuming you bought within price range). With inflation calculated you are saving money that way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They could afford $1,000 tires if they paid for them the same way they pay for their $1,000 iPhone.
View Quote

To be fair. If they weren’t spending $35 a month for a phone payment plan plus another 9.99 for insurance/protection, they could have had enough money in savings to cover it.

Say you have to get a new set every two years. $35+9.99 =$44.99. $44.99X24= $1,079.76.

So by sticking with a cheap or old smart phone they could have enough money saved to cover it. Even more if they didn’t have a smart phone at all and went with a cheaper plan because they don’t need the more expensive plans with data.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#33]
The only reason I don't buy a Veyron is the up to $42,000.00 for a set of tires every 2500 miles.

The only reason.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is average person really that broke right now? Replacing the tires for me was an inconvenience, however these people it was literally a complete financial disaster.
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I have found since covid people aren’t up on the current events and don’t understand how items are made etc. Last year I was at my local bbq joint, they didn’t have any foam cups.  The people in front of me couldn’t understand why.  I spoke up and said well styrofoam comes from chlorine and at that time, the chlorine factory in Louisiana was closed plus other shortages, is why they don’t have any cups.  Which in fact the owner said I’m correct.  They looked at me lost as ever.  Many people don’t know where a tire comes from.

I wanna know where these $600 tires come from?  On my truck it’s $600 for two and that was last year.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I get by- and quite nicely-- with a Samsung A-12 I bought at Walmart for $126.

This "I need a $1200 iPhone is a complete and total load of horse shit.
View Quote

About ten years ago, a heavy set young woman got a flat tire in front of my house.  She knocked on my door to see if it was okay to leave her car there while she got some help.  I said no problem.  Went out to her car to see if I could help.  It was an old car with lots of miles and cords showing on all four tires. I decided I was going to have my local tire shop tow her car and install new tires for her.

Right as I was getting ready to tell her what I was going to do, she pulls out the newest iteration of iPhone, and fired up a cigarette.  I put my flip phone back in my pocket.  I said nothing, and just walked back inside.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wanna know where these $600 tires come from?  On my truck it’s $600 for two and that was last year.
View Quote

A: While OP says he was there to buy tires for his truck, he does not say that the other customers had trucks. $600 is reasonable for passenger car tires.

B: Right from Discount Tire’s website, for a 2007 F-150 XLT 4WD:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#38]
miss my mid 90's Corollas where tires were like 8 dollars apiece.     :(
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple of years ago I needed to replace the tires for the 2005 Maxima I use as a work car. The car already had over 200,000 miles on it at the time and it’s best miles are well in the rear view mirror. I didn’t want to spend another $1,000+ on the Michelins I had typically run on it since the OEMs had worn out. Discount had Sentury brand tires on sale for $60 each so I went ahead and bought the chinesium specials. I wasn’t expecting much, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how good they have actually been for local daily driving. 80mph, no problem.  I would buy them again.

Would I take them up to 140mph? No, but even with the best tires I just wouldn’t trust the rest of the car at those speeds anymore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're Japanese tires, and it's a 3500lb Volvo, so no guns for you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You guys buy tires?

When it’s time for tires it’s time for a new vehicle.
View Quote

You joke but I seriously considered trading my truck in last week because I don’t want to buy new tires that much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

$3600 on six for my Ram 5500
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#43]
And the ones who choked at the possibility of having to pay $600 for new tires are probably rolling with a multi-thousand-$$$ stereo with bass that will crack the damn pavement. Odds are their brakes are shot, too, as well as their alignment.

And they're also the biggest complainers when their tires wear unevenly because we did their alignment, but then they drove 25,000 miles without rotating the tires.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Please elaborate on how the exact same brand and model of tire is somehow superior when purchased from a dealer.
View Quote

I have never figured out the more you pay for something the better it is mentality. It makes no sense at all. A NIB whatever is a NIB whatever if you bought it at the dealership for $87 at a store or for a buck at a garage sale.

About 30+ years ago I bought a Skilsaw type 77 NIB for (IIRC) $20 from some guy that bought an entire boxcar load from a train crash or some damned thing. He crammed it all into a warehouse and was selling everything dirt cheap. I picked up the saw and offered him $20 and he took it. I still use the saw when I need it.

It's just as good as if I had gone to J.Poopley Potts, Purveyor of Fine Tools and paid $75 over MSRP for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Just got raped for 1400 putting 4 new KO2s on my f150.  It hurt a bit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I may be a whore but I ain't cheap whore....
View Quote

@Cobradriver.

Remind me never to ask you for a cut-rate blowjob.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's America. Got a $1000 iphone but cant afford new tires
View Quote

$35/mo iphone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Lent my Durango to my cousin. AWD, I run and rotate a set of tires. His wife hits something in the road and ruins one tire.
I replace all four, keep the best one as a spare. Other two are still good but I have no use for them and I'm not in the used tire business so I let the shop keep them. I get all my tires from this little Mom & Pop shop and they give me as good a price as the "big boys" and rotate and fix anything I get there for free. BTW 4 Cooper Discoverer LT's, $800 out the door mounted and balanced. Much better than the Goodyears I had on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sorry, you said two tires or four tires?

$600 sounds more like two tires...
View Quote

I can’t even get two decent tires for my car for $600
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top