Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#1]
They were fucking stupid
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Not quite to the level of Jar Jar because they didn't talk much.

But, they were heavy in number and had that damned celebration song I had to sing in 3rd grade.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I was a little kid when ROTJ came out and I liked them at the time.

I can see that if had started watching Star Wars as an adult that it was very out of step with the earlier two movies.  
They should have kept the same tone as the previous movies instead of going for toy sales.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I won't watch the second half of ROTJ because of the Ewoks. They're as annoying as Jar-Jar.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I won't watch the second half of ROTJ because of the Ewoks. They're as annoying as Jar-Jar.
View Quote
The Ewoks are fucking stupid, and then you stop to consider that they defeated storm troopers with the cutest ambush tactics imaginable. So that makes the storm troopers look really lame.

How do you conquer the galaxy with idiots like that?
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I assume they were easy enough to create in large enough numbers so that the story could be told. Nowadays they would be some dumb cgi jar-jar...
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Retarded and helped ruin the franchise.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Not all of them.

Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I think it was originally going to be wookies, which would have been way more awesome. The whole Endor thing needed more arms being ripped out of their sockets.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#12]
The one that hit the tree was alright.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They were fucking stupid
View Quote
How dare you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#14]
On the same level as Jar Jar...maybe worse.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Retarded and helped ruin the franchise.
View Quote
I can suspend disbelief with the best of them, but I agree.

A military force capable of light speed travel was defeated by teddy bears with sticks and stones.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They were fucking stupid
View Quote
Yes, they were stupid.
There are many stupid characters in Star Wars movies.

But so were many characters written for kids through history.

Star Wars is a Multi-Million/Billion dollar franchise for kids that has something for the kid in the adult in the room, too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#18]
The Ewocs were primitive, not stupid.

They showed that good can overcome evil, no matter how primitive good is -- if they accept proper leadership.

ETA: Star Wars, at least the first 3 episodes, is an easily understood morality tale. After those, it goes further and further off the rails. Now each episode is a three hour commercial for toys and political correctness
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#19]
As a toy craving kid in the target market when that movie came out, I can confirm they were fucking stupid. All I can think is that they were trying to position them for a spin off/ additional revenue stream from girls who weren't into the standard Star Wars products.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#20]
They were initially written in as wookiees. As they were used as slave labor to build both death stars.

However, since Lucas was making his money from the franchise via merchandising. He rewrote the script into them being ewoks instead, as he figured they would be more appealing to children and be more marketable, thus making him more money.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They were fucking stupid
View Quote
This FPNI thing is uncanny
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#22]
FPNI. They were the worst thing about the OT.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#23]
They were fucking evil!

The Dark Secret Behind Star Wars' Goofiest Characters - Obsessive Pop Culture Disorder
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I liked the movie but the ewoks were kind of lame. If it had been wookies, that would have made it more believable (for what it is worth) in that they were stronger and would be an actual threat. Like others have said in the past, why was C3P0 worshiped and not Chewy? That would have made more sense to me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#26]
The big difference between 4/5 and 6 and to an even greater degree with the prequels is the human element.

In Episodes 4 and 5, the human characters are central to the story and all non-human characters with the exception of Chewbacca (as a sidekick) and Yoda (who is more or less portrayed as a wise old human) are basically background noise that add color to the universe.  The movies portray decidedly human conflicts which is something that moviegoers can identify with very easily.

In Episode 6, the Ewoks take a very central roll and now you have non-human characters playing a role as protagonists.  In the prequels, they go even further with this to the point that human characters are a minority.  Let's be honest, deep down in our nature, nobody gives a shit if scores of Gungans and Droids get cut down a climactic battle scene.  It just doesn't tug at you the same way as watching scores of human rebels get cut down on Hoth in a fight for their lives against the Empire.

Episodes 4 and 5 had it right.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Had they gone with the initial idea, and had the Endor battle involve Wookiee’s instead of silly teddy bears, ROTJ could have been the best movie in the franchise.

Imagine this:

Wookie slaves are brought to the Endor moon to help build the shield generator.  A few dozen escape into the forest, and the Imperial troops don’t bother to spend the resources going after them.  By reverting back to their more “primitive” nature, the wookies are able to survive in freedom (possibly even becoming allies to the native Ewoks, so 87 zillion stuffed toys could still be sold).

A year or so later, these wookies encounter the rebel strike force (including Chewbacca... this could flesh out his back story more) and join with them in the attack on the shield generator, and instead of Cub Scout battle we get wookies ripping body parts off.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#29]
They were Star Wars toys that were shoehorned into the movie in order to sell the product to children.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]
They were standins/metaphors for the Viet Cong. Originally it was going to be wookies.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Ewoks were brilliant from a merchandising standpoint. Little kids (and the moms who pay for the toys) loved them.

They didn't ruin it per se but it was sort of pathetic watching a bunch of spear chucking teddy bear midgets fighting stormtroopers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They were Star Wars toys that were shoehorned into the movie in order to sell the product to children.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I liked the movie but the ewoks were kind of lame. If it had been wookies, that would have made it more believable (for what it is worth) in that they were stronger and would be an actual threat. Like others have said in the past, why was C3P0 worshiped and not Chewy? That would have made more sense to me.
View Quote
C3PO is gold and shiny. Man has worshipped many a gold gods through the years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They were standins/metaphors for the Viet Cong. Originally it was going to be wookies.
View Quote
Yes and it sounded fucking awesome.

I'm not sure what the original plan was but I've read the imperials were using Wookies as slaves and they were going to revolt in the film.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#35]
The idea to co-opt an indigenous militia in your rebellion is actually kind of cool.  The way the idea was implemented was awful.

It is rumored that Lucas wanted use wookies but it was too difficult to find tall people.  They should have just used regular people in the roles.

The plot would be that natives had a real axe to grind against the Empire due to years of subjugation and who only needed some technology to fight back and get the Empire out of their neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#36]
They should have been slaughtered and hunted down to extermination with extreme prejudice.

Anyone that harbored them, would be thrown into the Sarlacc pit along with their entire family
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This
But every star wars shelf was picked clean except for ewoks and figures like Rancor Keeper and Walrus man.  And maybe r5d4.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Return of the Jedi was like a documentary about Afghanistan, except the taliban are teddie bears
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They should have been slaughtered and hunted down to extermination with extreme prejudice.

Anyone that harbored them, would be thrown into the Sarlacc pit along with their entire family
View Quote
That would have made a great chapter in the extended universe. One of the Siths slowly roasting Ewoks over an open fire.

Yub, Yub.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, didn't the ewoks initially capture the rebels to roast them over a fire and eat them?  There's an awful lot of empty storm trooper armor at the end, I'm assuming those guys were eaten by the ewoks.

I bet those little fucking savages would have fought with whoever would feed them human flesh.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#42]
They were there to save the toy industry!

A race of intelligent snakes on the Forest Moon would have been more believable...and actually that would have some pretty cool story development possibilities.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Which was the worse RotJ action figure to get as a kid?

One of the like six or seven indistinguishable Ewok figures? Or one of the like six or seven indistinguishable Jabba sail barge aliens?

Or the purple old man "Imperial Dignitary"? Or the useless Royal Guard with stick?

RotJ was a toy bonanza full of useless, pointless, obnoxious figures.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They were fucking evil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518tM8Z5K4k
View Quote
Woah... that's fucked!
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That would have made a great chapter in the extended universe. One of the Siths slowly roasting Ewoks over an open fire.

Yub, Yub.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yub, Yub.
I'd imagine they'd have to skin them alive first, burning Ewok fur must smell worse than Hutt shit.

As an added bonus, they could trade the pelts with the Jawa's in exchange for droids.
And from what I've read, Ewok pelts carry a leprosy like communicable disease that makes Ebola
seem like a common cold.

So now we have two races of undesirable vermin exterminated ... everybody wins.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#48]

They took out a heavily armed stormtrooper force with sticks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The big difference between 4/5 and 6 and to an even greater degree with the prequels is the human element.

In Episodes 4 and 5, the human characters are central to the story and all non-human characters with the exception of Chewbacca (as a sidekick) and Yoda (who is more or less portrayed as a wise old human) are basically background noise that add color to the universe.  The movies portray decidedly human conflicts which is something that moviegoers can identify with very easily.

In Episode 6, the Ewoks take a very central roll and now you have non-human characters playing a role as protagonists.  In the prequels, they go even further with this to the point that human characters are a minority.  Let's be honest, deep down in our nature, nobody gives a shit if scores of Gungans and Droids get cut down a climactic battle scene.  It just doesn't tug at you the same way as watching scores of human rebels get cut down on Hoth in a fight for their lives against the Empire.

Episodes 4 and 5 had it right.
View Quote
[youtube]kYfibSaDHrM?t=1m22s[/youtube]

Jump to 1m20s
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yiff in hell nerdfag
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top