Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I carried a browning challenger III , (pre-buckmark), in a cheap uncle mikes holster. Tucked iwb , loosey-goosey behind my strong side hip for a couple years.  Not daily , but often.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd get a DA revolver.  If you get a dud cartridge just pull the trigger again.

Any semiautomatic that gets a dud will need to be cleared.
View Quote

Beat. But I’d only carry a .22 if I didn’t have a centerfire
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Beretta 21A, at least mine, has had no problems to date with Federal Punch, and very few misfires with CCI Standard. It hates Aguila of all types (but Aguila from the same bulk buy is consistently excellent in my 10/22s).

It seems that the ammo that works is highly dependent upon the individual Bobcat. What works well in one may not work well in another

Not getting into the debate of whether .22 is good for self-defense. Just saying that my 21A in very reliable with the Fed Punch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
S&W 2213

Or for the real baller, a chopped down American-180.
View Quote

I have a 2214. It’s a great pistol and I can shoot it well. I’d never carry it though despite its small size because I don’t trust .22 to be reliable. I have heard there is some being made that had better quality priming and might be OK
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no logical reason to carry a .22. Sure it can be deadly if you’re an assassin that puts it right against the base of the neck. Yes, it will hurt someone. But if that someone is mad enough to try to kill you, they’re not likely feeling pain. If they’re not mad enough to try to kill you, why are you shooting them?

If you absolutely must carry something smaller than a 9mm, make it a .380. If you have some off-the-wall reason for needing something even smaller, you’re imagining the need. But at least make it a centerfire. Look at .25 or .32 ACP. Then realize you’re nuts and go back to .380 or 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Something with a banana clip.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is no logical reason to carry a .22. Sure it can be deadly if you’re an assassin that puts it right against the base of the neck. Yes, it will hurt someone. But if that someone is mad enough to try to kill you, they’re not likely feeling pain. If they’re not mad enough to try to kill you, why are you shooting them?

If you absolutely must carry something smaller than a 9mm, make it a .380. If you have some off-the-wall reason for needing something even smaller, you’re imagining the need. But at least make it a centerfire. Look at .25 or .32 ACP. Then realize you’re nuts and go back to .380 or 9mm.
View Quote

My .25ACP 950BS was completely reliable. My .22LR 21A was horrible. Replaced them and several other pocket guns with an LCP .380
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the S&W 63 in 3" or the older hard to find 1 7/8" barrel.  The triggers are good on these compared to the 317 models.
The Ruger LCR isn't bad either, but I shot one that wouldn't extract easily, but it was easy/fun to shoot.
The concealable sized semi autos can be finicky and ammo sensitive & require patience finding the right ammo.  The magazines have to be loaded properly also considering that the .22lr is a rimmed cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
The P322 is the only 22LR pistol I'd begin to trust for CCW out of the ones I've owned, but I'm inclined to say some sort of revolver as well in case of a dud round.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, don’t try to pick something for your wife. Let her pick it.

My wife dislikes guns. The one she picked out of all mine was the .40 P229. Babies here say it’s too snappy, but she liked it better than any of the 9mm.

Let her pick. And remember, little pistol means big recoil.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Smith & Wesson model 43c
View Quote

Wife carries a 351c the 22 mag version and it’s an excellent Rimfire carry gun
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:56:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I have pocket carried the Beretta 21A Bobcat with CCI Stingers, or Federal Punch. With the punch it gives a good wallop to what it hits
and makes a hell of a noise.

Holster carried a Charter Arms Pathfinder Target 4 inch revolver.

Never had a failure in several thousand rounds, but I only use these and Federal bulk for practice and plinking.

I have seen lots of failures in my classes with 22lr ammo, mostly Remington Thunderbolts, which I would never use in semi autos.

I would always suggest that you carry something with a little more power in centerfire calibers, but I would never
suggest .25ACP or .32ACP.

Stick with .38 Special or 9mm Makarov, Parabellum or above.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Went down this road myself a while back.
I tried the following guns:
Beretta 21A - not reliable
S&W M63 - nice gun but sticky extraction. Little heavy.
S&W M317 - nice gun. Sticky extraction. Rough D/A trigger.
[S&W 351PD - nice gun. Decent trigger. Expensive
Ruger LCR 22LR - great gun. Best of the revolvers I tried for CCW. My sister absconded with it. LoL
Ruger LCP II 22lr - out of the box it was a turd. JamOmatic. Installed a Galloway Precision spring kit in it and now it runs fantastic. Night and day.
I carry it regularly loaded with 22 Punch ammo.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Seems like I have a Ruger SR22 somewhere.

I dont remember it ever failing to shoot when I pulled the trigger
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:49:38 AM EDT
[#15]
LCR would be my choice, as I usually carry one in .38 anyway.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Why?  I mean, .22LR is notoriously unreliable to go bang. And with modern tech, you can have more effective, more reliable cartridges in a similar sized package, so why FFS would you choose a .22 unless you just didn't have a choice to start?  I'll definitely second everyone who said revolver though because being able to fire off the next round after one fails will be important.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What’s a good 22lr handgun concealed carry?

Federal or CCI defense rounds will be used.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For those thinking I’m a troll, you’re wrong.  

I rotate my carry guns around my land between a Glock 44 and a S&W model 64.  In the 64 I carry the first two rounds of rat shot.  I carry mainly for snakes and other critters that need delt with.  I finally found some federal punch ammo for the Glock 44.  

Half the time I forget to switch to my Glock 19 when I head to town so the punch ammo is nice.  

I’m looking to get my wife a gun to see if she’ll actually carry it.  She’s recoil sensitive.  

The Glock 44 is too big for her to conceal.   I’m thinking a small quality 22 would suit her fine.  

Just looking for suggestions, not trying to stir stuff up.
View Quote

So look at a 25acp or 32acp if a 9mm or 380 is really too much. Substantially better performance, substantially better reliability. Maybe a keltec P32?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]
If I were limited to something .22LR, I would probably go with a Ruger LCR in a GOOD pocket holster.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#20]
The biggest one that you can effectively use as a bludgeon.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd go for a DA revolver. LCRx or LCR from Ruger or SP101 if weight isn't an issue, 43C or 63 from S&W (again with the weight on the latter). If willing to go Taurus, then the 942, but I've never met anyone who owns one.

Caveat: all my info is second-hand at best, though I've mostly heard good things about the Ruger and Smith options, as long as it's inspected before buying for QC/QA issues.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Beretta 87 Cheetah

https://i.imgur.com/A8qciiS.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful! I need one of these to complete my Cheetah collection. They are getting pricey.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Carrying a .22LR is a have-to thing, not a want-to thing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Glock 42

And no, that’s not a typo
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for the 21A. Keep it clean, mine shot thousands of CCI Mini-Mag with no failures. Painted the front sight blade, that helped in the accuracy department.

Really like the tip-up barrel feature, easy to load/unload and clear, instead of fiddling with a tiny slide.

Carried a 351C too, with the Hornady .22 Mag self defense round.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#26]
"better than nothing"
"wouldn't want to get shot by it"

Those are hardly goals.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I was very impoverished the 22 was the only thing I could afford to practice with. I worked as a pizza delivery driver, so I definitely needed something, a 21A hides really nice in pocket rig but is easy to produce should you need it and blends in with the store dress code. I could shoot that 21A very fast and very well out to about 15 yards or so.

Another reason might be if one lives in a place where .22 is readily available to them and centerfire handgun ammo is not.

Or if one is under 21, legal for a young adult to possess the handgun but no one will sell them ammo. Never had a problem buying 22 even at big box stores when I was under 21.

Those are my semilogical reasons.

When I moved up the ladder income-wise I switched to a P3AT and later a Taurus TCP. My only 380 now is a Glock 42, I carry that 25% of the time and the rest of the time carry a Glock 48 or 43X.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Two months ago, I bought a new Ruger LCP2 .22.

Since then, I have tried the following ammunition: CCI Mini Mag 40 gr, CCI Mini Mag 36gr, CCi Velocitors, Winchester Super X 40 gr, Aguila Super Extra 40 gr, Blazer 40 gr, CCI Stingers, CCI Standard Velocity 40 gr.

I've fired more than 500 rounds through five different magazines.

Every single brand of ammunition choked more than once . Failures to fire and failures to feed were the problems. I shall continue to shoot the gun, but I will not carry it.
View Quote

If it choked on mini mags, send it back to Ruger
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had a LCR for 10+ years. Never had a reliability issue with mini mags. I'd say round count with mini mags is well over 500. Practice ammo is another story.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I have had an LCP II in 22lr for 4 years and it has been fairly reliable, especially with Auguila brand ammo. But the gun is no smaller than an LCP in .380 ACP.
I am not sure of a reason to carry one unless you just wanted to be less effective for some reason.

Also, I do not trust rimfire ammo. I have shot a lot of it and had much more fail to ignite than anything centerfire.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#31]
A couple considerations.

22 revolvers generally have very heavy trigger pulls for reliable function. Will she be able to manage that?

Small semi auto 380's use a blowback design. IMO the recoil is worse than a compact 9mm.

I don't have any striker fired 22's, can't comment on those.

The Ruger SR 22 is a very reliable gun for me. Small enough to carry, large enough to hold. Again, kinda heavy first trigger pull.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP watch the cop knife video and tell me you would feel comfortable with a 22lr in that situation.
View Quote

This. I'd rather carry pepper spray.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I used a Browning Buck Mark for my CCW qual

The instructor called me John wick, and I didn't even use a can
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just dont. Honest answer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#35]
A 327 SP101 loaded with one of the other 32s might be just the ticket more effective and reliable then 22Lr and still extremely low recoil. Not to mention the trigger will be much easier then the 22 version
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For those thinking I’m a troll, you’re wrong.  

I rotate my carry guns around my land between a Glock 44 and a S&W model 64.  In the 64 I carry the first two rounds of rat shot.  I carry mainly for snakes and other critters that need delt with.  I finally found some federal punch ammo for the Glock 44.  

Half the time I forget to switch to my Glock 19 when I head to town so the punch ammo is nice.  

I’m looking to get my wife a gun to see if she’ll actually carry it.  She’s recoil sensitive.  

The Glock 44 is too big for her to conceal.   I’m thinking a small quality 22 would suit her fine.  

Just looking for suggestions, not trying to stir stuff up.
View Quote

The real answer is to step up to at least a centerfire, maybe with a bigger hole, as even the hefty (for this discussion) .380acp is particularly light recoiling with a locked breech and plastic frame. I often carry a G42 in the inner breast pocket of my smoking jacket, or sweatpants pocket (Sticky Holster used all around). In a real IWB holster it disappears on my 5’2” wife, as well as her Micro 380.

Even stepping down to .327fed is a significant improvement in firepower and reliability from the 22lr.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A 327 SP101 loaded with one of the other 32s might be just the ticket more effective and reliable then 22Lr and still extremely low recoil. Not to mention the trigger will be much easier then the 22 version
View Quote

That had not occurred to me----a far better idea than .22.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lots of folks here have either not shot a lot of different. 22lr ammo, or just have been incredibly lucky with the ammo they've bought.

I've had 2 different cartons of bulk ammo from 2 different manufacturers over the years that are full of duds.  As much as I love .22lr (I have more guns in .22 than any other caliber) it's not reliable enough for a self defense round.  

Without getting into ballistics, reliability is paramount for self defense.  I'm not saying that I think .22 is a good choice from a ballistics perspective.  But it simply can't be trusted to go bang every time.  My last carton of ammo functioned flawlessly when new, and after 2 years of storage in an ammo can with desiccant, it has wildly variable velocity and lots of duds.  

I've got other .22 ammo that works great that's 15 years old.  But there is nothing to indicate that .22 ammo has gone bad if it does, until you try to use it.  That's just not a quality you want in a self defense ammo.
View Quote

Besides everything else, this is probably the biggest thing. I agree with you man, good advice. Same experience over here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As opposed other ammo where there is an indication of the round going bad?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I've got other .22 ammo that works great that's 15 years old.  But there is nothing to indicate that .22 ammo has gone bad if it does, until you try to use it.  That's just not a quality you want in a self defense ammo.

As opposed other ammo where there is an indication of the round going bad?

I just responded to his reply that I agree with him. I think what he's saying is, by and large, 22 long rifle just doesn't seem to have the quality control of Centerfire cartridges. I have to say in my 46 years that I agree completely.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP watch the cop knife video and tell me you would feel comfortable with a 22lr in that situation.
View Quote

For real bro. That video made me want a concealed katana for carrying.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Wouldn't using Eley ammo address any reliability concerns from ammo?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#43]
I love my Ruger LCR 22.  I carry it when my primary concern is one neighborhood dog that has charged at me a few times already.  I figure sooner or later if he doesn't get hit by a car, I'm going to end up having to shoot that dog.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#44]
If you must use .22 for self defense, then a revolver is the only reasonable answer considering the reliability of the ammo.

Another vote for the LCR here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#45]
S&w m&p 22c has been very reliable with good ammo.

You need a gun and ammo combination that is super reliable together.

There is 22 ammo made that has good reliability.

Also, maintenance becomes very important with 22lr. Make sure to brush the chamber with a bronze brush so that it's squeaky clean. You can chock it up in a drill.

For lubrication, use a light coat of high quality oil like gieselle go juice. Grease can cause a malfunctions on the first shot in the cold. Change you carry ammo every 6 months.

Every week, you should take it apart and make sure dust and lint is not accumulated. 22 can't power through impediments like 9mm can. Don't use cheap ammo, stick to cci stingers or better. No bulk, Aguila, Remington, winchester, federal (except punch), blazer, etc.

Don't use guns that can't go at least 1k rounds mbtf. The only ones I know of are m&p, and ruger lcr. I haven't tried Taurus tx22, but I read mixed things.  The lcp22 is never reliable from what I have seen at the range.

Source: me with 100k+ rounds of 22lr fired through 10+ guns, having achieved centerfire levels of reliability in some instances. Lots of failures  in others.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#46]
31 rounds of 22 mag is mo betta. And everyone will be deaf after the shooting

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I would like to see shot times.  I would guess a 22 will put more on target in a shorter time than a 380 all day.

I have a 380 and a 22 LCP II. No comparison for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've carried a Walther PP in .22lr many times since I acquired it about 40 years ago.  There are only 8 rounds in the magazine.

The other carry .22 is my Umarex built Beretta 92 and that one has a 15 shot magazine.

Find some ammunition that you have full faith in, that works perfectly in your carry piece.  For me, that has been the Remington Golden HP cartridge.

CCI Stingers were carried at times, but I've had some duds with that since the Pandemic.
View Quote

The problem I've had with stingers is that they over Expand and under penetrate.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife is very recoil sensitive. She hates my P938, won't shoot 38 Special out the 686 at the range and I doubt 380 would change her mind much either. You can't tell women to "suck it up", they'll hand you the gun back and go home. I'd much rather her carry anything, than nothing.

I put 1,500 rounds of CCI Mini Mag through my Buckmark last summer without a FTF. If it came down to the choice between that or a sharp stick, I'd trust that particular combination all day. I also happen to shoot it very accurately, meaning I'd feel a lot more confident taking head shots than just peppering someone in the torso.

CCI Uppercut looks pretty good, and it's different from Punch. This is CCIs explanation.
“Other 22 LR ammunition designed for self-defense is out there, such as Federal Premium 22 LR Punch . Although a great load, it is designed specifically for deep penetration, not expansion. CCI’s Uppercut bullet is designed for expansion and weight retention,” Slinkard says. “Uppercut achieves 8 to 10 inches of penetration in ballistics gel with controlled expansion out of short-barrel pistols. Upsets result in a beautiful, deep six-petal design.”

The expansion looks pretty good for such a small bullet:
Attachment Attached File

Here's the best part. Browning makes a 22lr short bull barrel (4") pistol. They also make a Standard Micro for like $320. The base gun is a Buckmark, and I'd take that over almost everything else suggested here. With a minimum of care it will bang every time for years before a detail strip is needed. The reviews are great, and they make a red dot-ready version.

If it came down to carrying a 22lr, I'd make it a combination of the best ammo in the best gun, and this would come very close.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two months ago, I bought a new Ruger LCP2 .22.

Since then, I have tried the following ammunition: CCI Mini Mag 40 gr, CCI Mini Mag 36gr, CCi Velocitors, Winchester Super X 40 gr, Aguila Super Extra 40 gr, Blazer 40 gr, CCI Stingers, CCI Standard Velocity 40 gr.

I've fired more than 500 rounds through five different magazines.

Every single brand of ammunition choked more than once . Failures to fire and failures to feed were the problems. I shall continue to shoot the gun, but I will not carry it.

Agree.  Mine doesn’t like Winchester 333 or 555 bulk but will run everything else I’ve tried 100%.  It’s the best pocket gun I’ve owned.  The thing about a .22 is that it’s very easy to make hits at extended distances and repeatedly even with the small lcp.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top