Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#1]
,,, And Man's Foes, Shall Be They Of His Own Household - Matthew 10:36

Jay
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the one with the bald dude and the bears that god sent to eat the kids.
View Quote
2 Kings 2:23-24

Atheists quote that story to paint God as being mean for killing children (insert kindergarten school photos here).
"Little children out of the city" translated word for word : "unimportant city youths"... literally 'hood rats' or 'urban yutes' in arfcom-ese.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess I'm not alone in preferring the Old Testament based on the posts in this thread.

Aside from Revelations the New Testament is very.....pacifistic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1 Timothy 1:15 KJV)
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So you must do works to be a "true christian". That contradicts not only Paul (especially in Romans 4-5 and Ephesians 2), but Jesus in John:
6:28  Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" 29  Jesus answered and said to them,"This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

What James is talking about is not about salvation, but witness. If you want to be an effective servant for God, you have to do good works; that's all the carnal world can see.

ETA: but that is entirely separate from eternal condemnation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

James is basically saying people have to do Gods work.  Not just look at others suffering and blame it on God.  They have to do something.  Doing something is the works.  No true Christian would look at someone in true need and not do anything then proceed to blame God.  They should be the change.  That is why faith without works is dead.
So you must do works to be a "true christian". That contradicts not only Paul (especially in Romans 4-5 and Ephesians 2), but Jesus in John:
6:28  Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" 29  Jesus answered and said to them,"This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

What James is talking about is not about salvation, but witness. If you want to be an effective servant for God, you have to do good works; that's all the carnal world can see.

ETA: but that is entirely separate from eternal condemnation.
Do you feel compelled to do God's work?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you seriously trying to anecdotally argue against what Jesus and Paul say in scripture?

Let it go. You don't get to decide who God can save.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you seriously trying to anecdotally argue against what Jesus and Paul say in scripture?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never said you won't be saved if you don't do works. Slow down and take in what people are saying before getting angry.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I never said you won't be saved if you don't do works. Slow down and take in what people are saying before getting angry.
View Quote
I'm not angry. I've also read what you've posted in this thread and others.

Let it go. When you ignore the Bible and try to discredit people personally you've lost the argument.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Psalms 84:4

Rescue the weak and the needy, deliver them from the hands of the wicked.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Psalms 17:6   Thou shall not favor certain passages of Gods word over others.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#11]
never mind, it’s the weekend,

I’ll try to play nice.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Matthew 9:9-12

9 As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.

10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

12 On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’[a] For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Amos 3:10 “They do not know how to do right,” declares the LORD, “who store up in their fortresses what they have plundered and looted.”
11 Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: “An enemy will overrun your land, pull down your strongholds and plunder your fortresses.”
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Romans 8:2

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

James is basically saying people have to do Gods work.  Not just look at others suffering and blame it on God.  They have to do something.  Doing something is the works.  No true Christian would look at someone in true need and not do anything then proceed to blame God.  They should be the change.  That is why faith without works is dead.
View Quote
The book of James speaks of men looking at the works of other men.  In other words, it's a horizontal view, not a vertical one.

The Lord knoweth them that are his (2 Tim 2:19).  God doesn't need to see works to know who He saved.  God saved Abraham when Abraham believed God.  Because Abraham believed God, he was willing to offer Isaac, knowing that God would keep His promises and if he offered Isaac, God would raise Isaac from the dead and Abraham's offspring, through Isaac, would be as the sand on the seashore.

But men couldn't see Abraham's belief.

But, when men heard that Abraham was willing to make that offering in obedience to God, THEN MEN knew that Abraham had faith - it wasn't just talk.

The. Bible, in James, is basically saying, "talk is cheap."  Any one can claimed to be saved.  I have no doubt there are people who know how to be saved - but aren't.  A person can know that a gift was purchased, and then offered to them - but just knowing that is not the same as receiving the gift.  Without accepting that gift one does not receive the benefits of owning the gift.

One of the benefits of receiving the gift of salvation is bearing fruit - good works that honor God.

Heb 11 is often referred to as the roll call of faith.  It is a roll call of Old Testament sinners saved by God's grace - through faith - and the works that they did as a result of their salvation.

The works are not the cause of salvation, they are the result of salvation.

Some erroneously conflate cause with result.  The Bible makes a clear distinction.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Let it go. When you ignore the Bible and try to discredit people personally you've lost the argument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who am I trying to discredit?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top