Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
you can post yours and I will respect that, but I wear mine when I have to, and have a hard time remembering some of them....ARCOM and ARMY Achievement are two I wont' forget.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Valkyrie,
How do you get away with out having any Sea Service ribbons?
P-3's?

C-130's

Told you guys this would be a cool thread.  

+1
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mine:

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/von_landstuhl/his_rack.png

The wife's:

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/von_landstuhl/her_rack.png

What software tool did you use to create these?

CJ

Ya. No kidding. The regular Ribbon Checker online doesn't have the little doodad slike stars, E's, M's, and other attachment.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you can post yours and I will respect that, but I wear mine when I have to, and have a hard time remembering some of them....ARCOM and ARMY Achievement are two I wont' forget.

I had a funeral recently.

My service coat is still put together.  Otherwise I'd be
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ARCOM and ARMY Achievement are two I wont' forget.

Nor would I, brother.....
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Some branches of the service hand out ribbons like candy. A few years ago I did a couple of years in the Army National Guard. There were soldiers there (some had been prior active duty army) with more fruit salad on their uniforms that I could believe.

USMC
Sea Service Deployment x3
Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal x2
Navy Unit Commendation
Good Conduct Medal x2
Rifle Expert Badge

I did get one ribbon from the National Guard from duty after a tornado hit a town in the area, but I can't remember tha name of the ribbon right now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Some branches of the service hand out ribbons like candy.

No kidding. Some of the boots coming out of Army bootc amp already look like some third world South American dictators they've got so much bling-bling on....
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
ARCOM
AAM
Nat. Defense
Armed Forces Reserve w/ "M" device
GWOT
NCO Prof. Devel.
and 2 others that just about everyone gets

The Schutzenschnur was the coolest thing I ever got while having the most fun though, LOL.  With that stacked on top of a blue cord, it did start to make the class A's look like something you would wear for a parade only.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, we have collectively enough awards to outfit 2 South American generals! And maybe a Captain too.  I've been told by others that I deserve a few more, but I dont care.  Its not about the chest candy.  Its about getting the job done, coming home at the end of the day with 10 fingers, 10 toes, and knowing you are doing something good.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding. Some of the boots coming out of Army bootc amp already look like some third world South American dictators they've got so much bling-bling on....

You can graduate AF basic with up to four ribbons.

National defense
Honor grad
BMT grad
Small arms expert
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
National Defense
Good Conduct
Expert Rifle and Pistol
Air Assault Wings
World's best husband (from my wife)
#1 dad (from my daughter)

The last two are for lifetime achievement above and beyond the call of duty.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
You can now get the National Defense Service Ribbon in BASIC???

When did that start?

CJ
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#13]
CAR
MUC
Nat. Def
Iraq Campaign
Sea Service Deployment
GWOT Svc
Reserve Good Cookie
Armed Forces Reserve W/ "M"

Semper Fi

T
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

When did that start?

CJ

27 June 1950 to 27 July 1954
01 Jan. 1961 to 14 Aug. 1974
02 Aug. 1990 to 30 Nov. 1995
11 September 2001 to TBD

Elgible personnel-Pretty much anyone on active duty with selected Reserve and Guard components. And since recruit  is considered an active duty billet, they are elgible
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#15]
You youngsters might recognize a couple of these.

ETA, military.usmedals.com/ribbons.html gave me the picture.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#16]
A good friend of mine who recently returned from his 2nd tour in Iraq, said a guy in his unit recieved the purple heart while they were over there.  Not too uncommon, right?  Well, it was a purple heart, FOURTH AWARD.

He told me the story for this last one.  Supposedly the guy was either taking a dump or pissing, and when started to leave, an Iraqi came up behind him and put a weapon to his back.  It sounded to me like they were trying to take him prisoner, but who knows.  Anyhow, it pissed the guy off, so he spins around, pulls his M9, takes 1 round from the Iraqi, and empties his M9 into the guy.  My friend said that the guy's buddies heard the commotion and when they found him he was reloading the M9 to shoot him some more.

It's hard for me to believe that somebody could get 4 purple hearts, but if it's true, then I think the guy should get a $10,000/month pension for the rest of his life starting immediately.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When did that start?

CJ

27 June 1950 to 27 July 1954
01 Jan. 1961 to 14 Aug. 1974
02 Aug. 1990 to 30 Nov. 1995
11 September 2001 to TBD

Elgible personnel-Pretty much anyone on active duty with selected Reserve and Guard components. And since recruit  is considered an active duty billet, they are elgible

Yup - I came in in '93 and we all wore it to our very first Class "A" formation while still recruits in basic.  We don't can't even get the damn Army Sevice "fruit loop" ribbon until completing an MOS qualification, but everyone gets the NDSM if on active duty during the declared time periods.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#18]
We couldn't wear ours until our graduation day, even to inspections
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The National Defense Medal is the only award any private out of Army "boot camp" would have - BTW, it is a DoD award, awarded by DoD criteria, and every Marine would have it as well.

EDIT:  possibly the GWOT service medal these days as well - but pretty sure that is DoD as well.

Our military having a GWOT Service Medal AND a National Defense Service Medal is pretty asinine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The only one that really matters:

CIB

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You youngsters might recognize a couple of these.
i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/GSPattonWV/buildrack.gif

ETA, military.usmedals.com/ribbons.html gave me the picture.

with the exception of the Battle E, I have all of those, I did all my USN time Greenside (FMF).
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My memory might be foggy - I am getting kinda old...
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My memory might be foggy - I am getting kinda old...

Well, different service, different crap.  Dont worry, Im still young and the memory thing is pretty foggy
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The only one that really matters:

CIB

When I was in Beirut, the units before us and after us got combat ribbons. We however did not, because we were on a "peace keeping" mission. Funny, how they blew up the US Embassy, tried hitting one of the ships off the coast (rounds landed in our area). Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/mcgoodconductfullsize.jpgimg.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/nationaldeffullsize.jpgimg.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/rifle_expert.jpgimg.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/pistol_expert.jpg

When did the corp start giving a national defense ribbon? I served '84-'88 and I thought only the other services awarded those.

Gulf War 1  award beginning August 1990 to  ?
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys that served in more than one service, how do you know which ribbons/medals are authorized?
I mean, Army ribbons on Navy uniform....  Is that uniform?
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#28]
When I was active Army I saw ARCOM's given out to average soldiers just because they were changing stations.  A guy in one of my units was in that disco in Berlin that got bombed in the 80's and literally got a scratch on his arm.  They gave him the purple heart and he was a total piece of shit.  Really.
    I've also seen people do heroic things casually and want no attention other than to feel good about their day.  Also I think ribbons used to mean alot more at one time. Not that there aren't plenty that are deserved now to though.  The problem is they are diluted by handouts and the real model troops don't stand out as much because of it.

I like badges better because they aren't as political.  Thats just me though.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When I was active Army I saw ARCOM's given out to average soldiers just because they were changing stations.  A guy in one of my units was in that disco in Berlin that got bombed in the 80's and literally got a scratch on his arm.  They gave him the purple heart and he was a total piece of shit.  Really.
    I've also seen people do heroic things casually and want no attention other than to feel good about their day.  Also I think ribbons used to mean alot more at one time. Not that there aren't plenty that are deserved now to though.  The problem is they are diluted by handouts and the real model troops don't stand out as much because of it.

I like badges better because they aren't as political.  Thats just me though.  

I dont like a lot of badges.  But we have a lot of em. One particular is for being at a specific type of unit for 6 months or more.  And then we have temporary or permanant.  Some dont become permanant until you have 5 in a certain position. Some of ours have pretty specific standards.  Some are just I showed up for work and didnt get kicked out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#30]
SMCR x2
GWOT EM in lieu of the Iraqi Campaign medal
GWOT SVC
Sea Service
Nat Defense
Armed Forces Reserve +M
Rifle Expert x4

When I first got back, I had a Combat Action Ribbon in my records as well, but noone else in my unit did.  It took me 3 or 4 complaints up the chain, and as many visits to admin to have it taken off.  There's a site somewhere (lost the link) that allows you to look up CARs and HSMs by name and social, and I'm listed on there for actions with a unit I never served with.  Clusterfuck.  

Supposedly a MUC on the way, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#31]
This was me graduating Basic in early 2001. No ASR, no NDSM. I don't think they threw stuff at us. (Except rank, I guess)

I look a little more respectable now.

NTM
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I think this is all of them.  Not many, but here you go...

2 Arcom
2 AAM
Good Conduct
Nat'l Defence
GWOT Service
GWOT Exp
Army Service

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#33]
There was a list in the Uniform regs that said which other service awards are authorized, you have to look it up and square yourself away.

I did my Navy enlistment in between Army enlistments, I was bored.

I could wear all of my Army awards except the Army Service Ribbon on my Navy uniforms, on my Army Dress Greens I can wear all my Navy awards except the Marksmanship Medals.

I am still in the Guard as a Sergeant First Class with over 17 years.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Badges from schools I should say.  Special Forces or Ranger tabs, EIB's, Jump wings, Air Assualt wings etc.  Personal achievments
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You can graduate AF basic with up to four ribbons.

National defense
Honor grad
BMT grad
Small arms expert

AND two stripes.  BTW - at the BMT side of lackland, the 4 ribbon racks are kept under the counter.  You have to ask.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Awards/Decs and Devices

Air Force Commendation Medal   1
Air Force Achievement Medal   1
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device   4
AF Good Conduct Medal   4
National Defense Service Medal   1
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal    
Southwest Asia Service Medal   1
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal    
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal  
Korean Defense Service Medal  
Armed Forces Service Medal    
AF Overseas Ribbon Short   1
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border   1
AF Longevity Service   2
USAF NCO PME Graduate Ribbon   1
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Device signifies rifle and pistol)   1
AF Training Ribbon    
NATO Medal (Bosnia)    

When I get back I will add Iraqi Campaign Service Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Short tour device, AFESR device, and JMUA

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Badges from schools I should say.  Special Forces or Ranger tabs, EIB's, Jump wings, Air Assualt wings etc.  Personal achievments

Yeah I understand.  Some of our badges are personal achievements, others are not.  That gets annoying. My only badge (its a temp, and I cant wear it right now becasue Im not on a ship anymore) I had to bust my ass for, and prove that I knew my shit and what it actually meant to be a "cutterman". That was just my command though.  Other commands have no standards other than be basically qualified for thier billet and have 6 motnhs sea time.  I had to be qualified in several different positions, go though an oral board that pushed my professional knowledge to the limit, and have a year of sea time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
When I was active Army I saw ARCOM's given out to average soldiers just because they were changing stations.  

Uhhh.... they are service awards - for honorable service.  When changing stations is the primary time they are awarded.  Seriously, unless a Soldier was a complete shitbag, he should get one for his time in the unit.

A guy in one of my units was in that disco in Berlin that got bombed in the 80's and literally got a scratch on his arm.  They gave him the purple heart and he was a total piece of shit.  Really.

That seems odd to me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What software tool did you use to create these?

http://ultimaterack.ajandj.com/
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Naval Flight Surgeon Wings
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
Combat Action Ribbon
Navy Unit Commendation
FMF ribbon
NDSMx2
Southwest Asia Service w/ 2 stars and FMF device
Sea Service Deployment x2
Overseas Service
Kuwait Liberation (Saudi)
Kuwait Liberation (Kuwait)
Rifle Sharpshooter
Pistol Expert

Once had a chief master-at-arms ask me if I was prior enlisted, because I had a lot of junk on my chest for a doc. I told him I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When I was active Army I saw ARCOM's given out to average soldiers just because they were changing stations.  

Uhhh.... they are service awards - for honorable service.  When cnaging stations is the primary time they are awarded.  Seriously, unless a Soldier was a complete shitbag, he should get one for his time in the unit.

A guy in one of my units was in that disco in Berlin that got bombed in the 80's and literally got a scratch on his arm.  They gave him the purple heart and he was a total piece of shit.  Really.

That seems odd to me.

I thought the ARCOM was an individual award, for honorable service.

After 8 years in the Marine Corps and now 7 1/2 in the Army, I can say the Army seems to dish out awards on a grand scale. People getting achievement awards just for doing their job. The only awards I recieved fron the Army that I feel I actually EARNED was my CIB and 82nd combat patch. Hell, the rest , we didn't even have a formation, they just handed them out(ARCOM, AAMx2, JMSM) all from one deployment.
I don't mean to step on any toes, but it just seems to me the few medals I recieved in the Corps, I earned.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You guys that served in more than one service, how do you know which ribbons/medals are authorized?
I mean, Army ribbons on Navy uniform....  Is that uniform?

Army Regulation 670-1 details the order of precedence for awards:

Paragraph 29–6

a. U.S. military decorations. A decoration is an award given to an individual as a distinctively designed mark of honor denoting heroism, or meritorious or outstanding service or achievement. U.S. military decorations authorized for wear on Army uniforms are listed below in order of precedence.

(1) Medal of Honor (Army, Navy, Air Force).
(2) Distinguished Service Cross.
(3) Navy Cross.
(4) Air Force Cross.
(5) Defense Distinguished Service Medal.
(6) Distinguished Service Medal (Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard).
(7) Silver Star.
(8) Defense Superior Service Medal.
(9) Legion of Merit.
(10) Distinguished Flying Cross.
(11) Soldier’s Medal.
(12) Navy and Marine Corps Medal.
(13) Airman’s Medal.
(14) Coast Guard Medal.
(15) Bronze Star Medal.
(16) Purple Heart.
(17) Defense Meritorious Service Medal.
(18) Meritorious Service Medal.
(19) Air Medal.
(20) Aerial Achievement Medal
(21) Joint Service Commendation Medal.
(22) Army Commendation Medal.
(23) Navy Commendation Medal.
(24) Air Force Commendation Medal.
(25) Coast Guard Commendation Medal.
(26) Joint Service Achievement Medal.
(27) Army Achievement Medal.
(28) Navy Achievement Medal.
(29) Air Force Achievement Medal.
(30) Coast Guard Achievement Medal.
(31) Combat Action Ribbon.

d. Personnel will wear service and training medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services after U.S. Army service and training ribbons, and before foreign awards.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Afghanistan Campaign & Combat Action Ribbon are the only ones I care enough about to remember.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#44]
CIB
EIB
Air Assault badge
Bronze exellence in competition(RIFLE)
Drivers badge(W)

Purple heart
ARCOM
Joint service achievment medal
Army Achievement medal(10thaward)
National Defense medal(2ndaward)
Armed forces service medal
Army Good conduct medal
Armed forces reserve medal(M)
GWOT
GWOTE
Iraq campaign
overseas ribbon w/2
PLDC ribbon
Haiti UN medal
WA recruiting and retention ribbon
WA service ribbon

Army superior unit award(Panama)
Joint unit merit unit award(Haiti)
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#45]
You can wear what you earned in correct order, however the present service has priority, for example I'm a former Marine and the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal is worn after my Army Good Conduct Medal.

EDIT: I also wear my CAR in my rack and wear a CIB, I cannot wear a star on my CIB because I was not in the Army at the time. It can be confusing and if the AR-670 can't clear it up, the Institute of Heraldry(sp) can. Also unit awards earned in another service are worn on the right side.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhh.... they are service awards - for honorable service.  When changing stations is the primary time they are awarded.  Seriously, unless a Soldier was a complete shitbag, he should get one for his time in the unit.

That seems odd to me.

I thought the ARCOM was an individual award, for honorable service.

service award... as in "for honorable service"

... Hell, the rest , we didn't even have a formation, they just handed them out(ARCOM, AAMx2, JMSM) all from one deployment.
I don't mean to step on any toes, but it just seems to me the few medals I recieved in the Corps, I earned.

No toes stepped on here - what you just posted sounds like serious stupidity.  Do you know what the write-ups for all that said?  If any were for the same thing, it is very asinine.  The JMSM sounds like it should have been the most appropriate for the deployment in question - assuming it was a joint op and the individual served... well... "meritoriously."  Those that served less than "meritoriously" should have been put in for a lesser applicable award, or none at all.

My first deployment, I did 6 months and came home with an AAM.  That's closer to normal for peacetime.

Things do get stupid, though.  Not only is the National Defense Medal redundant with the GWOT service medal, but now the Army is awarding Overseas Service Ribbons for tours that merit other awards already!  I found this out after my last DA photo, though - so technically I was out of uniform .
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I got a Army Achievement medal 1st oak leaf cluster, the Army service ribbon and the over seas ribbon. Rifle/grenade expert badge.

Not too many ribbons and stuff during peace time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
now the Army is awarding Overseas Service Ribbons for tours that merit other awards already!

I don't understand that one either, but here's the memo:
www.hrc.army.mil/site/Active/TAGD/awards/Message_Reference_Index/Subfolder__126-150/149.pdf
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#49]
The only service that I can offer you all is that of a Customs Officer.  My only qualifcation device is the Army Basic Parachutists Badge.  I went through Airborne School while in ROTC (38-00, Charlie Co.).  God later smited me with illness which made me non-deployable, and therefore, non-commissionable.

However, here is my father.  The greatest man I know.  22 years in the US Navy.

Submarine Qualified
Two Deterrant Patrols

Navy Commendation Medal
Navy Achievement Medal x5
Navy Unit Commendation
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation x3
Good Conduct Medal x5
Navy Expeditionary Medal
National Defense Service Medal x2
Navy Sea Service Deployment Medal x4
Navy Arctic Service Ribbon
Navy Recruiting Service Ribbon x3
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Just to add to the fun, they've changed the requirements for the SW Asia Service Medal. It used to have a cut-off date somewhere in the 1990s. That date has been removed. A lot of OIF people don't realise they're entitled to it. I've not exactly pushed for our awards NCO to catch up on that bit, though, as everyone in my unit who would earn it is entitled to the OIF medal anyway.

NTM
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top