BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I just started.

bf2s.com/player/77813799/

ETA: Looks like I am starting page 7 as well.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just to add to the fun, they've changed the requirements for the SW Asia Service Medal. It used to have a cut-off date somewhere in the 1990s. That date has been removed. A lot of OIF people don't realise they're entitled to it. I've not exactly pushed for our awards NCO to catch up on that bit, though, as everyone in my unit who would earn it is entitled to the OIF medal anyway.

NTM

People serving in Iraq already recieve the Iraq Campaign Medal.  People serving in Kuwait get the GWOT Expeditionary Medal, some rack up enough time on both sides of the border to rate both awards, but I'm not clear on how a SWA Service Medal would fit into the equation and who would rate it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
People serving in Iraq already recieve the Iraq Campaign Medal.  People serving in Kuwait get the GWOT Expeditionary Medal, some rack up enough time on both sides of the border to rate both awards, but I'm not clear on how a SWA Service Medal would fit into the equation and who would rate it.

I presume it's in order to indicate with a little more geographical certainty where the GWOTEM was earned. If you see a GWOTEM w/ SWASM you know he was in the Gulf somewhere, but not Iraq. (Well, not enough for an OIF gong). As opposed to the current GWOTEM only, if he wasn't in the borders of Iraq or Afghan, which is less specific.

Got this from State:
Sir,
IAW AR 600-8-22 (dated 1 August 2005) and CA ARNG Regulation 600-8-22 (dated 1 August 2005), Chapter 4 - Department of Defense Awards, Section II. Department of Defense Services Medals, Subsection 4-9 Southwest Service Medal  (SWASM), it reads as follows:
a. The SWASM is awarded to members of the United States Armed Forces who serving in Southwest Asia and contiguous waters or  airspace on or after 2 August 1990 to a date to be determined. Southwest Asia and contiguous waters or airspace, as used herein, includes the Persian Gulf, Red Sea, Gulf of Oman, Gulf of Aden, that portion of the Arabian Sea that lies north of 10 degrees N. Latitude and west of 68 degrees E. Longitude, as well as the total areas of Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, and the United Arab  Emirates

b. See Department of Defense Regulation 1348.33M or Army Regulation 600-8-22, paragraph 2-14 for more  information

NTM
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#4]

National Defense Medal
Sharpshooter Rifle (Actual Ribbon has S on it for Sharpshooter)
Expert Pistol (actual ribbon has E on it for Expert)

thanks to PromptCritical for the links
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I presume it's in order to indicate with a little more geographical certainty where the GWOTEM was earned. If you see a GWOTEM w/ SWASM you know he was in the Gulf somewhere, but not Iraq. (Well, not enough for an OIF gong). As opposed to the current GWOTEM only, if he wasn't in the borders of Iraq or Afghan, which is less specific.

Got this from State:
Sir,
IAW AR 600-8-22 (dated 1 August 2005) and CA ARNG Regulation 600-8-22 (dated 1 August 2005), Chapter 4 - Department of Defense Awards, Section II. Department of Defense Services Medals, Subsection 4-9 Southwest Service Medal  (SWASM), it reads as follows:
a. The SWASM is awarded to members of the United States Armed Forces who serving in Southwest Asia and contiguous waters or  airspace on or after 2 August 1990 to a date to be determined. Southwest Asia and contiguous waters or airspace, as used herein, includes the Persian Gulf, Red Sea, Gulf of Oman, Gulf of Aden, that portion of the Arabian Sea that lies north of 10 degrees N. Latitude and west of 68 degrees E. Longitude, as well as the total areas of Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, and the United Arab  Emirates

b. See Department of Defense Regulation 1348.33M or Army Regulation 600-8-22, paragraph 2-14 for more  information

NTM

Sir, I'm afraid you have been the recipient of some erroneous information.  I just looked at the exact DODR mentioned above and it clearly indicates an end date for the SWASM of 1995.  Here is the text from the DODR, found here: www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/134833m_0996/p134833m.pdf

C6.7. SOUTHWEST ASIA SERVICE MEDAL (SWASM)
C6.7.1. Eligibility Requirements
C6.7.1.1. General
C6.7.1.1.1. Authorized by E.O. 12754 (reference (x)).
C6.7.1.1.2. Individuals authorized that award must have served in support
of Operation DESERT SHIELD or DESERT STORM in one or more of the following
areas from August 2, 1990 through November 30, 1995: the Persian Gulf, Red Sea,
Gulf of Oman, Gulf of Aden, that portion of the Arabian Sea that lies north of 100 N.
latitude and west 680 E. longitude, as well as the total land areas of Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi
Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates.

That .pdf is straight from DoD and incorporates the latest change.  I think somebody got confused and mixed up the SWASM and the GWOT-E, both of which may be earned in Iraq, but not for the same time period.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Enlisted Surface Warfare Qualified

Joint-Service Achievement (Hurricane Katrina)
Good Conduct x1 (should be x2 but I got out the day before the 2nd would have been awarded.  Now that i'm in the reserves, it's prolly x2)
National Defence
Armed Forces Service (Katrina)
GWOT Service
GWOT Expeditionary
Humanitarian (Katrina)
Rifle (SS)
Pistol (SS)

Got out as an E-5, no sea service ribbons cuz I was a staff weinie at 2nd Fleet in Norfolk.  Missed a sea service ribbon by like 5 days at sea though.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got this from State:
Sir,

NTM

The SWA ended in Nov '95.

You can earn either the GWOT E or Iraqi Campaign Medal for service in Iraq but not for the same time period.  Same goes for the Afghanistan one.

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Army Service Ribbon
National Defense Ribbon
Army Achievement Medal (x3)
Army Commendation Medal (x2)

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Always check your DD-214 for accuracy, and don't forget a lot of times you will end up qualifying for medals post seperation...

My Granfather, Rifleman, Headquarters & Headquarters Company, 15th Armored Infantry Regiment in WWII is a prime example....

I have a copy of his DD-214...it lists his CIB, and the European/North African Campaign Ribbon....but in actuality, he qualifes for The WWII Victory Medal, The Army Occupation Medal, and the Bronze Star...also a pic I have of him in his Ike jacket shows the campaign ribbon AND an Army Good Conduct...so I guess he got that too...

The Victory medal, Occupation, and Bronze Star were all retroactive, he didn't know, I did the research. Note to any WWII vets relatives....did you know that as of 1947, retroactively, any veteran who had earned a CIB became eligible for the Bronze Star (no "V")? Check it out....your father or grandfather or uncle may be entitled to it....
I believe this only applies to WWII vets though...

My dad, whose DD-214 only lists the Navy Good Conduct Medal went to apply for a STAR Veterans exemption here in NYS, I believe he had to get some papers sent from either NARA or the Navy, they discovered he also should have gotten the Defense Service and Navy Expeditionary Forces Medal for being involved in the Qeumoy/Matsu shit near China, and early Vietnam service (he was COMSVTHFLT from 60-63....homeported in Yokuska, but always on the Flag ship, the St Paul, the Oklahoma City, and the Providence, and they did lots of ops of Vietnam, and the St Paul even docked for liberty in Saigon....)

So please make sure you check further, since you earned 'em, you might as well get 'em......
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can now get the National Defense Service Ribbon in BASIC???

When did that start?

CJ

Most recently in 1990.  

I have a decent amount on my chest, but probably none so dear as those of my grandfather that I have:

Expert rifleman
WWI Victory Medal
Purple Heart (earned at Belleau Wood - he was a Teufelhund)
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one for being a 'secetary'.  Really.

And some other stuff that with a buck might get me a cheap cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sir, I'm afraid you have been the recipient of some erroneous information.  I just looked at the exact DODR mentioned above and it clearly indicates an end date for the SWASM of 1995.  

That simplifies matters.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
In no particular order

Navy Commendation ( would have been a Bronze Star, if I hadn't pissed off my XO on a regular basis,  My CO caved to him, and I was a pain in the butt about a few things, not the least was not volunteering for several more months after 11 months+ recalled overseas for the first Gulf War).

Navy Achievement Medal,

National Defense with star (yep I'm that old)

Meritorious Unit Commendation

Navy Unit Commendation

Sea Service Deployment 3 stars (would have been 4 but the start date was 2 months late for one deployment)

Naval Reserve Overseas Service (somewhere between 4 and 14 stars)(original rules were 45 days non-consecutive and 30 days consecutive for each award.  I was about 7 days short for 3rd award, when I was recalled for the first gulf war, and the command with the blessing of Bupers started awarding at 30 days to the recallees, well after 11 months, that's 11 awards???, and I ended up with another award after the war and before retiring)

Reserve Meritorious Service

Expert Rifle (with M-14)

Expert Pistol (with various 38s and 45s)

possibly the Humanitarian Service for picking up Boat People in 1979, the dates were solidified after I left active duty, T

here may also be something more for the GWOT and first Gulf War. We were told we were going to get the SWASM, the Saudi medal because it was in our area of responsibility and we exercised operational control over units in the area but the rules were still in flux.  some of our guys pursued it but It didn't matter to me after getting riff'f by Clinton.

I also get the M device for being "Mobilized" for the first Gulf War, but not sure where it goes.

One other been there done that, that the rules came out after I left but apparently qual;ified for,
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

d. Personnel will wear service and training medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services after U.S. Army service and training ribbons, and before foreign awards.

That may be the regulation,  but I disagree with that methodology.

That would imply that a person could, for instance,  join the USAF,   do something very notable and earn the Air Force Cross,  and then later,   leave the AF,  join  the Army,  earn a few middle range Army awards, and have to place them OVER the Air Force Cross,  if I read that right.

That's not how it's written.  Part "A" of my post shows that U.S. military decorations, not the service and training medals and ribbons, have their own order of precedence.  The Air Force Cross ranks #4.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#15]
With the upmost repect to those who have and do serve in the military...I submit my ribbons.

Boy Scouts of America Leaders Knots.

Arrow of Light

Cubmaster
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Man, I am getting old.  Mostly for just doing my job.

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The stuff I appreciate the most:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadBioPic.asp?sAccountUnq=26012

Not in the military, but I recall a good friend having those, what exactly are they?
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Found my DA photo -

with the exception of a missing oak leaf cluster and an overseas service ribbon (due to the change in the reg), I think it is current.

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Found my DA photo -

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=46398

with the exception of a missing oak leaf cluster and and overseas service ribbon (due to the change in the reg), I think it is current.

I'm sitting here squinting at your branch trying to figure it out.  Is it Ordnance?  

You don't have to say if you don't want to.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Found my DA photo -

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=46398

with the exception of a missing oak leaf cluster and and overseas service ribbon (due to the change in the reg), I think it is current.

I'm sitting here squinting at your branch trying to figure it out.  Is it Ordnance?  

Yup - Ordnance.  Haven't really served in it for a while - and doubt I ever will again.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup - Ordnance.  Haven't really served in it for a while - and doubt I ever will again.

Thanks.  Squinting was making my head hurt.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  Squinting was making my head hurt.

I'm not sure why they use such low res on those photos - must be a bandwidth thing.

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Military:

MOS-95B (Military Police, which now has some other MOS identifier class)
Army Commendation Medal
Good Conduct Medal
Air Assault Badge
Rifle, Pistol, Grenade Weapons Qulification Badge (Expert all three)
Driver-W-/Mechanics Badge
Army Service Ribbon.
Various letters of commendation.

Civilian Law Enforcement:

Deputy Sheriff - In the Tampa Bay area of Florida (That county west of the Howard Franklin Bridge)
Meritorious Service Award (for saving a life)
Exceptional Service Award x 2
Gold Star Award (would have been a Meritorious Service Award, because it was for saving another life, but the act was in an off duty capacity.)
Hazardous Materials Technician / Team member Qualification pin.
Expert weapons qualification (pistol, shotgun, patrol carbine)
Several letters of commendation from citizens and outside agencies.
Got to be on NBC's Dateline for a high profile investigation I solved.

Non-work stuff (personal/fun things)

Marine Corps Marathon finisher 2006
Army Ten-Miler finisher- 2006
Shamrock Half-Marathon finisher -2005
Two free tickets to come back on a gambling /dinner cruise to noplace after winning a Men's Best Chest contest.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#25]

So please make sure you check further, since you earned 'em, you might as well get 'em......

How does one go about determining if they qualified for awards after separation?
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

How does one go about determining if they qualified for awards after separation?

I think you can either go through NARA or through the records section of the service you were in....my dad, I believe, needed to get some verification for the tax exemption, sent in a copy of his DD-214 to wherever they told him (I think it was the Navy Records Dept)...they would send verification to the tax office...

Like 6 months later he received his two additional medals in the mail, with a letter stating that doing the records search, they discovered he had qualified for them post-separation...or rather they added the time frames he served to the qualifications after he had separated...surprised the shit out of him....
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Now that I remember, I don't physically have any medals.  They were all stolen on my last PCS move by the subhuman filth called "movers".  They even stole my new coffee maker   Scoundrels!

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#28]
i just got an army achievement medal last week. i felt so special.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone know how 2 BSM's with V devices are supposed look where does the oak leaf cluster go? I recieved an email that I am Eligable for the 7 board and I guess that means a new DA photo.
 BTW; 82nds arrowhead device is the shizzle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
i just got an army achievement medal last week. i felt so special.

woohoo--it's party time.

I seriously can't remember the last time I got an AAM--I't's been years.  I must be a shitbag.

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Does anyone know how 2 BSM's with V devices are supposed look where does the oak leaf cluster go? I recieved an email that I am Eligable for the 7 board and I guess that means a new DA photo.
 BTW; 82nds arrowhead device is the shizzle.

Can't say I've ever had that problem.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#32]

I have a few...and a Master Aircraft Maintenance & Munitions Badge that I am VERY proud of.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Meritorious Service Medal
AF Commendation Medal x2
AF Achievement Medal
AF Outstanding Unit w/device
AF Combat Readiness Medal
AF Good Conduct w/5 devices
National Defense Medal
AF Short Tour w/device
AF Long Tour
AF Longevity w/4 devices
NCO PME Grad
M-16 Expert w/device (handgun also)
AF Training
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Army Commendation Medal
Pistol Expert
{barely qualified with rifle since I absolutely hated the issued M16's}

There may be some other stuff issued for showing up with a pulse between 1978 & 1984 but don't know what they were. A National Defense Ribbon or some such?

Heard that they had come up a 'Cold War' medal/certificate for those during that time period. Anyone have any info on that one?

wganz

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I know I have some comming 1963-64 Korea ,1966 discharge(honorable)and expert and sharpshooter on M1 and M14!   Just  three hots and a cot for three years at 50.00 per month(67.50 for over-seas pay)and then 167.00 a month there after!

When you get your Soc Sec payout sheet it shows the years pay outs for 1963-1966 it really is quite dissmal!

I don't need any medals though,cause it was an act of love for a country that I love,and I would serve again just like it was at 50.00 a month(just like my Father did)!

Bob
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Air Force Commendation Medal       - 3rd award
Air Force Acheivement Medal           - 4th award
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award w/"V"      - 9th award
AF Organizational Excellence Award  - 2nd award
Combat Readiness Medal               - 2nd award
AF Good Conduct Medal                  - 6th award
National Defense Service Medal       - 2nd award
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal
GWOTE Medal
GWOT Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
Overseas Long Tour Ribbon
AF Exp. Service Ribbon w' border      - 2nd award
AF Longevity Service Award              - 4th award
PME Graduate                                - 2nd award
Small Arms Expert Marksman Ribbon  2nd award
AF Training Ribbon
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in the military, but I recall a good friend having those, what exactly are they?

Combat Infantry Badge:  Awarded for serving at least 6 months in a combat theatre in a combat arms position.  The wreath above the rifle can have up to 2 stars, each signifying another 6 months in a DIFFERENT area of combat operations.  So you wouldn't have a star above the rifle for serving 12 months in Iraq, but you would if you served in both Gulf Wars.

The CIB is automatically awarded even if you never earned your EIB (Expert Infantry Badge), which looks exactly the same except no wreath - just the rifle.  The EIB is earned through a series of testing for everything from weapons qualification, map reading, land navigation, improved fighting positions, first aid, call for fire, PT test, and several (many, actually) other events that one is scored on.  It is very difficult to qualify for, especially if the graders are extremely tough.  

Now, this is where I might lead you wrong, as I haven't served since 1993, was never airborne or served in an active airborne unit, and my memory SUCKS.  Hopefully someone will see this post and correct me if I'm wrong here, so keep an eye on the thread and take my word on this only as tentative.  

The bottom are Jump Wings, signifying he qualified for airborne status by completing the 3 (sometimes 4) week course and making all 5 qualification jumps.  If those were Combat Jump Wings, they'd have a star (or stars) above them just like the CIB would.  That would mean he actually made a certain number of "hot" jumps, or jumps in a combat operation.

I THINK the bronze star denotes combat deployment in an active airborne unit (for the 82nd, that would probably have been Grenada or Panama) but without any actual combat jumps.

That's the way I remember it.

82nd Airborne, will you please chime in here and correct me where needed and elaborate for our inquisitive friend?  I'm trying to help him, but the bronze star on your turkey wings (or chicken wings?  Geez, it really has been a while) has me confused and questioning my memory.  

IIRC
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
With the upmost repect to those who have and do serve in the military...I submit my ribbons.

Boy Scouts of America Leaders Knots.

Arrow of Light
i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/AOLknot.jpg
Cubmaster
i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/CMknot.jpg

Hey I got those too, and the God & Country knot from when I was a kid.

I wore them all when we were decorating graves for Memorial Day and some damn civilian started to tell me I couldn't wear the military ribbons on the Scout uniform.  I told him that if Baden-Powell could do it I could do it.  And reminded him that in the pics of B-P those aren't Scout Decorations he is sporting.  Asked him where he served, since he was a little older than me and was of Viet-Nam service age, he hemmed and hawed, I also made it clear than no civilian was going to tell me how I could celebrate Memorial Day.
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A Combat Infantryman's Badge and a Combat Parachutist's Badge

You earn a bronze service device when you parachute into a combat zone.  December 20th, 1989 was the first time members of the 82nd Airborne Division had earned the award since WWII.

Click on my "User Info" button for a few more details.

So no stars above the wings?  I seem to remember stars above them.  And isn't there a silver device for >5 jumps hot?  

Or am I thinking AA?  
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 2:17:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You earn a bronze service device when you parachute into a combat zone.  December 20th, 1989 was the first time members of the 82nd Airborne Division had earned the award since WWII.

That's pretty sweet man.  I can only hope that I get to do something cool like that before my time is up.  For now though, it's back to back MEUs, woo!
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 2:49:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So no stars above the wings?  I seem to remember stars above them.  And isn't there a silver device for >5 jumps hot?  

Or am I thinking AA?  

The star above the wings is for successful completion of Jumpmaster school and 30 jumps.
If you have a star and a wreath above the wings it's for 65+ jumps.  
There are a few other requirements such as a certain amount of night jumps, CE jumps, 2 safeties, and a night AJ.
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Heard that they had come up a 'Cold War' medal/certificate for those during that time period. Anyone have any info on that one?

wganz

www.hrc.army.mil/site/active/tagd/coldwar/default.htm
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/MyRack.jpg

My rack

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/DSC03297.jpg

How it looks on me.

In order of precedence:

1) Reserve Components Achievement Medal (3rd Award)

2) National Defense Service Medal (3rd Award)

3) Iraq Campaign Medal

4) Global War On Terrorism Service Medal

5) Armed Forces Reserve Medal (10 year hourglass, M Device, Numeral 2)

6) Army Service Ribbon

7) Overseas Service RIbbon

8) Reserve Overseas Training Ribbon

Add to that:

Expert Marksmanship Badge with Pistol Bar

Sharpshooter Marksmanship Badge with Rifle Bar (missed the expert by 2)

Four Service stripes (equal 13 years of service)

1 Overseas service bar (not shown) for 10 months of overseas combat service.

Not as fancy as some people here, but I never joined just for the awards; they just come as part of the uniform. Is the pride in service and the bond of brotherhood among fellow soldiers that has kept me in this man's Army.

How do you have three National Defense Service Medals as a young looking Spec-4?  The last three eligibility periods are from 2001-present, 1990-1995, and 1961-1974.  You must be older than you look if you were in the 'nam.  

Well; i guess i made a foopah on that; I did a bit of research and discovered that I have 1 star too many; went directly to my dress uniform and removed the extra star. Sorry 'bout that.

NDSM #1 - I enlisted during Desert Storm, but didn't go to basic until 1992.

NDSM #2 - 9-11 and Iraq.

That young looking Spec 4 is asctually 32 years old and joined the US Army at age 17 in 1991. I just screwed up a few times in my younger years and got a few Article 15s; that would explain the lack of rank and the excessive amount of service stripes (4 of them). Oh well...
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/MyRack.jpg

My rack

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/DSC03297.jpg

How it looks on me.

In order of precedence:

1) Reserve Components Achievement Medal (3rd Award)

2) National Defense Service Medal (3rd Award)

3) Iraq Campaign Medal

4) Global War On Terrorism Service Medal

5) Armed Forces Reserve Medal (10 year hourglass, M Device, Numeral 2)

6) Army Service Ribbon

7) Overseas Service RIbbon

8) Reserve Overseas Training Ribbon

Add to that:

Expert Marksmanship Badge with Pistol Bar

Sharpshooter Marksmanship Badge with Rifle Bar (missed the expert by 2)

Four Service stripes (equal 13 years of service)

1 Overseas service bar (not shown) for 10 months of overseas combat service.

Not as fancy as some people here, but I never joined just for the awards; they just come as part of the uniform. Is the pride in service and the bond of brotherhood among fellow soldiers that has kept me in this man's Army.

How do you have three National Defense Service Medals as a young looking Spec-4?  The last three eligibility periods are from 2001-present, 1990-1995, and 1961-1974.  You must be older than you look if you were in the 'nam.  

Well; i guess i made a foopah on that; I did a bit of research and discovered that I have 1 star too many; went directly to my dress uniform and removed the extra star. Sorry 'bout that.

NDSM #1 - I enlisted during Desert Storm, but didn't go to basic until 1992.

NDSM #2 - 9-11 and Iraq.

That young looking Spec 4 is asctually 32 years old and joined the US Army at age 17 in 1991. I just screwed up a few times in my younger years and got a few Article 15s; that would explain the lack of rank and the excessive amount of service stripes (4 of them). Oh well...
 I may be wrong but on your NDSM IIRC You should have only one star, The ribbon being the first award and the star signifyng the second..  Although things may have changed since I got out in '04. Just like with thte GCM.
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wganz

It got shot down once but it is being reintroduced soon.  I read about it in my VFW magazine.

I have the certificate, and I wrote my congress crittes about the medal.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top