Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
2001+ Polaris Edge chassis.  With a 500 or 600 Liberty engine.  Had one for 20 years and it never left me walking.
Old enough that they're cheap to buy.
They made a pile of them so parts are easy to find.
Still has a conventional chassis layout so if you do have to work on it everything is easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was growing up the sleds to be had were Actic Cats with Kawasaki motors. The Yamaha Enticer came along later and those are some fun sleds. No idea what's good today but so many factors.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
OMG this is why I really hate when New Yorker's move to my state. Idiots don't even know the proper name for a F@cking SNOW MOBILE!!!! So how many reindeer will be pulling your sled??? Is it going be 600 reindeer power?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OMG this is why I really hate when New Yorker's move to my state. Idiots don't even know the proper name for a F@cking SNOW MOBILE!!!! So how many reindeer will be pulling your sled??? Is it going be 600 reindeer power?
View Quote
At least OP didn't call it a "snowmachine" like they do in Alaska.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why you hate NY'ers moving to your state?

I think you might have picked the wrong hill to die on.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Sometimes I miss my Formula 3 but my lower back doesn't miss it at all. If I ever buy another sled it will be a comfortable touring model. Getting old sucks.

It never needed anything other that routine maintenance.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The last snowmobile I rode was a John Deere.… Yes I’m serious they really did make snow mobiles.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The last snowmobile I rode was a John Deere.… Yes I’m serious they really did make snow mobiles.
View Quote

But did it run like a Deere?

@DaltonGuy
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
the 01-05 air cooled 2 up actic cat panteras are worth having for low-medium use utilitarian purposes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@DaltonGuy
View Quote

Worst decision in a snowmobile,  we had 2 340 Spitfires with the plugs outside of hood.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I came in here looking for 25 foot cars from the 70’s.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Worst decision in a snowmobile,  we had 2 340 Spitfires with the plugs outside of hood.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@DaltonGuy

What does 'plugs outside the hood' mean? You mean like exposed so they rusted/seized into the head?

@Chukar
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What does 'plugs outside the hood' mean? You mean like exposed so they rusted/seized into the head?

@Chukar
View Quote

Yes, the old sleds were air cooled, so they struck the heads thru the hood so the cooling fins cooled better....
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a sledder and have been my whole life. I dont even know how to answer that question when people ask. There can be so many things to keep track of and maintain you either do it yourself or pay someone WHEN they are available to do it.
Or you run the machine into the ground. I do my own maintenance and just got our sleds out of storage. I dread tearing into them but will do it so they are running perfect and dependable. It used to be kinda fun but now its just a necessary chore. Then after all of that we wait.......and wait......If we're lucky we get to ride a couple months. Good thing I like to ice fish.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Im a fan of my 2012 Arctic Cat XF800. Short and quick enough to keep up with my buddies on the trails but long and strong enough to get off trail and be useful ice fishing and boondocking around.

It smokes like a bastard which i kinda like. I havent worked on a ton of sleds but its been easy enough to wrench on.

This pic gets a lot of mileage here but shows my type of usage.

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Old Yamaha Phazers, Ovations, or some old Skidoos like this one that aren't beat to shit.  

We also have a Skidoo 500, which looks almost identical to the 380.    Oh, and wear a helmet, unlike this kid.    ????

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top