Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/8/2022 2:28:01 PM EDT
Skippers, Long John Silvers, HS Salt? I know KFC bought LJS and I think HS Salt, and ran them into the ground. Seems like an someone would fill the void. Beer battered fish and ship is the bomb!
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
people trust seafood less than burgers.

Fortunately for me, around here, every bar serves haddock filet sandwiches on friday, and there's still Doug's Fish Fry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol, I was just thinking about this last night.

However, we have Captain D's around here. Better than LJS.

There should be a less ghetto option. Like Chick-Fil-A to popeyes.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Culvers
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish we still had LJS around here. Clams + More, extra hush puppies please.

My counterpart on the other shift actually drove 2 hours away to go to LJS.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The stink in a FFF (Fast Food-Fish) restaurant is nasty.

The stink in all other fast food joints is not so bad.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Culvers
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Health craze? Everything was deep fried except the beverages.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Fast food seafood is

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't like my seafood fried for the most part.
That's all those places can do.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
They're gross

Ivar's is the only good fast food seafood restaurant
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Culvers
View Quote
Those $1.69 fish sammiches at Kwik Trip are actually pretty good
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
As a kid, I loved those little crunchy things at the bottom of the basket at Long John Silvers. I ate them once as an adult and almost got sick. Call me tender tummy, but damn that shit was greasy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Used to love LJS when I was a kid.
Starting about 15 years ago the quality went downhill bad. I think that impacted their sales at least at that local store and led to them trying to cut costs other ways. Im pretty sure at one point they were throwing food into the deep fryer while it was cold or only Luke warm and then turning the heat up allowing the oil to soak in instead of flash frying.
The food would be so greasy it would saturate the cardboard box.
Stopped going pretty soon after that became the norm.
Also they started charging for the crumbs. When I first moved out on my own in the late 90s you could literally eat for free by ordering some crumbs and a water.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Practically all fast food went to shit. It's harder to hide it with seafood.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Seafood is getting more expensive, the oceans are getting literally scooped up by hordes of chinese fishing boats

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As a kid, I loved those little crunchy things at the bottom of the basket at Long John Silvers. I ate them once as an adult and almost got sick. Call me tender tummy, but damn that shit was greasy.
View Quote

We used to order 'extra crunchies'.

But, yeah, as an adult, all the carbs from the thick batter and hushpuppies and fries means I simply cannot eat there. I hate that, too, because I could tear up some LJS.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
it's called Long John Shitters for a reason, but damn it's tasty going down.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Captain D's - are they still around?  I know there's only one Arthur Treacher's left now and HoJo restaurants are finally gone - miss clam night and an orange sherbet afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish there was a proper English chippy around.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think there is still a LJS in Tomah. I hate seafood no matter where it comes from.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Captain D's - are they still around?  I know there's only one Arthur Treacher's left now and HoJo restaurants are finally gone - miss clam night and an orange sherbet afterwards.
View Quote

We still have a couple Captain D’s. Technically we still have 1 LJS that doubles as a KFC.
ETA: lol, I almost forgot I tried to order from that LJS a couple years ago.
They sent a flyer that LJS had fish tacos now. I was like cool, I’ll give those a try and the kids wanted chicken strips so it was going to work out into one stop.
The drive through line was long as fuck and taking forever but finally I get to order.
Go through the families list of what they want and finally get to me to order those tacos.
“I’m sorry we don’t carry those at this location.”
Fucking drove off in disgust without saying another word.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn now I want some fried fish and hush puppies
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Crumblies is what LJS calles them and they actually list them as a "side" on their web site.   You can ask for them and they will give them to you free of charge. THey have a button on the cash registor.

https://www.ljsilvers.com/menu/crumblies/

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#24]
A plank of fish was a thick layer of dip soaked in grease around a small piece of fish….and people got tired of it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I miss Arthur Treacher's ... there is a Long John Silver's near the Cabela's in Hamburg PA but it's not the same.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I would assume it was taste buds that is hurting them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I worked at both Captain D's and Long Johns in high school. They were adequately clean in my opinion with decent process. Frying battered cod and shrimp isn't rocket science.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would assume it was taste buds that is hurting them.
View Quote

gotta go after the fry oil's broken in, but before it's rancid.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#29]
It's sea food lol who eats that junk plastic infested food in 2022?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#30]
There’s a thing about fish being fresh. I actually liked LJS on occasion but it was a weird craving and if it took to long to get there it would pass.

They were actually one of the few fast food franchises that stuck to their guns and did what they did fairly well, sort of.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I got sicker than shit the last time I ate at one of those places and never went back.  48 hours of stuff coming out of both ends.  That was nearly 30 years ago.  

Fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think there is still a LJS in Tomah. I hate seafood no matter where it comes from.
View Quote

Yeah it's a combo with I think A&W right off the interstate. Stopped there last year, haven't been down that way in awhile but headed to Madison on Sunday so I will stop for sure. May make it all the way Middleton before I have "to stop."
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Health craze? Everything was deep fried except the beverages.
View Quote

This.

Weight check-in for the OP?

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Demographics shift.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#35]
We have a couple small, local chains (Bud's and Hook) that do both chicken and seafood. We'll occasionally hit Bud's as they're pretty good - but like other purveyors of fine fried foods, most are in ghetto'ish areas, so not the greatest place to sit down and enjoy a family meal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Used to love LJS when I was a kid.
Starting about 15 years ago the quality went downhill bad. I think that impacted their sales at least at that local store and led to them trying to cut costs other ways. Im pretty sure at one point they were throwing food into the deep fryer while it was cold or only Luke warm and then turning the heat up allowing the oil to soak in instead of flash frying.
The food would be so greasy it would saturate the cardboard box.
Stopped going pretty soon after that became the norm.
Also they started charging for the crumbs. When I first moved out on my own in the late 90s you could literally eat for free by ordering some crumbs and a water.
View Quote

The fall of LJS was more than 15 years ago, more like late 1990's. I've often lamented the fall of LJS with a fellow foodie (this guy can afford whatever he wants to eat, and has been that way for decades) who agrees that at its height, it was significantly better than any other fast food now or then. It just slowly became greasier and greasier with thicker batter over the late 1990's and into the early 2000's. It was cost cutting - more batter, less fish/shrimp for the same price. Probably was KFC that did it to them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember these from when I was a kid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#39]
They sold food by the plank.
You can do the math.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#40]
The wife won't eat LJS because they changed the breading. Capt. D's is okay going down with malt vinegar. I will flat wreck a toilet after 20 minutes though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Shitty food.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#42]
There's still a few LJS's around here but haven't eaten at one since I was a teenager
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

They recently tore down a local LJS here, only to rebuild it to a newer facility. That surprised me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#44]
2 LJS's near me, one in a shared place with A&W. I think there is a Captain D's too, but I rarely go that direction.

Sometimes it fulfills a craving, and I love snorting malt vinegar up my nose and reeking of fry oil.

I cook better fish, usually baked, but sometimes I grow tired with my own cooking.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Captain D's - are they still around?  
View Quote

Still all over TN.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I don’t think there’s a fast-food seafood place within fifty miles of me. Mercifully, there’s a short-order seafood place that does the best cornmeal battered catfish I’ve had since I left Alabama. It’s the only food, I’ll put on a credit card.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I would pound down plates of popcorn shrimp at the Sizzler.

Haven't been to LJS since I was a teenager.  I do remember those hush puppies.

Fish and chips shouldn't be that hard to make.  Yet, I am constantly disappointed when I order them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I miss Arthur Treacher's ... there is a Long John Silver's near the Cabela's in Hamburg PA but it's not the same.  
View Quote

I miss Arthur Treachers too, the Shillington PA had one, it started life as a Carroll's I believe then turned into a Arthur Treachers, then finally a KFC.

I always thought they were a step above Long John's.

Long John's isn't as good as it used to be but every now and again I need some greasy fish and malt vinegar ??

Damm forgot the hush puppies..

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

But, yeah, as an adult, all the carbs from the thick batter and hushpuppies and fries means I simply cannot eat there. I hate that, too, because I could tear up some LJS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those extra crunchies mixed with slaw were awesome....................I kinda wish Arthur Treacher's was still in business
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Had a classmate in an autotech class that would bring in his crumbs and water he got through the drive through at LJS. I didn't know it was a thing, but it's all free.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top