BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am extremely picky about my seafood. I am not sure why.
View Quote

Hard to make bad fried chicken. Almost impossible to make a bad burger.

Easy to make disgusting seafood.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hard to make bad fried chicken. Almost impossible to make a bad burger.

Easy to make disgusting seafood.
View Quote

You've clearly never eaten anything I've cooked
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Plus the proliferation of poke across the nation make them pointless
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I miss Arthur Treacher's ... there is a Long John Silver's near the Cabela's in Hamburg PA but it's not the same.  
View Quote

I miss A.T. also... there was one on South Main street in Wilkes Barre that was in business long after most of the other ones vanished. Even at the end their food was still head and shoulders above LJS. As far as I know the current owners of the A.T. brand were trying out a new launch of a kiosk style one in the one of the prominent New Jersey malls... Don't know if it ever took off but they were advertising serving hours from 11 am until 6 pm or something weird like that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Just anecdotally, Seafood seems to be the least popular food type in America, especially among the younger crowd. I'm picky about it myself, but I have never known anybody in any of my friend groups that has actively wanted seafood over all of their alternative options (except for sushi). A fastfood seafood option is even more unappealing to me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No need for them 'round these parts.
View Quote

Fresh from the Gulf and home prepared is the way!
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe the  people who used to frequent them finally tasted real seafood?
View Quote

Safer to eat fried stuff in the Midwest - save the real deal for near the ocean or a place that flies it in and charges accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly this. The 1/8" piece of fish is a joke.

They used to be pretty good. Now you get a basket of fish-flavored flour and corn oil.
View Quote

the cod used to come in a box as a solid block. you'd cut (iirc) 7 pieces out of that block.
drop it on the floor,  no problem pick it up take to the back and spin around right back to the
fryer.

any of you guys remember LJS's selling beer?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The "fast food" deep-fried food places have been replaced by "casual eateries" that serve fish tacos and other Mexicanoid foods.

Rubio's: Hooked on fish tacos

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Captain D's - are they still around?  I know there's only one Arthur Treacher's left now and HoJo restaurants are finally gone - miss clam night and an orange sherbet afterwards.
View Quote

That place was the shit!! They had one out here for the longest time. It closed and became a Filoshito’s Mexican food colon evacuation center . Damn shame
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Was going to say I went to that LJS once, ready to relive the 80s-early 90s which is the last time I had LJS, was ok, but was not the hype’d up meal I had in my head.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss Arthur Treacher's ... there is a Long John Silver's near the Cabela's in Hamburg PA but it's not the same.  

Was going to say I went to that LJS once, ready to relive the 80s-early 90s which is the last time I had LJS, was ok, but was not the hype’d up meal I had in my head.

I almost stopped at that one a few weeks ago, I can’t remember last time I had it. I am glad I didn’t.

There is one in Shamokin Dam/Selinsgrove area I get tempted by too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The fall of LJS was more than 15 years ago, more like late 1990's. I've often lamented the fall of LJS with a fellow foodie (this guy can afford whatever he wants to eat, and has been that way for decades) who agrees that at its height, it was significantly better than any other fast food now or then. It just slowly became greasier and greasier with thicker batter over the late 1990's and into the early 2000's. It was cost cutting - more batter, less fish/shrimp for the same price. Probably was KFC that did it to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used to love LJS when I was a kid.
Starting about 15 years ago the quality went downhill bad. I think that impacted their sales at least at that local store and led to them trying to cut costs other ways. Im pretty sure at one point they were throwing food into the deep fryer while it was cold or only Luke warm and then turning the heat up allowing the oil to soak in instead of flash frying.
The food would be so greasy it would saturate the cardboard box.
Stopped going pretty soon after that became the norm.
Also they started charging for the crumbs. When I first moved out on my own in the late 90s you could literally eat for free by ordering some crumbs and a water.

The fall of LJS was more than 15 years ago, more like late 1990's. I've often lamented the fall of LJS with a fellow foodie (this guy can afford whatever he wants to eat, and has been that way for decades) who agrees that at its height, it was significantly better than any other fast food now or then. It just slowly became greasier and greasier with thicker batter over the late 1990's and into the early 2000's. It was cost cutting - more batter, less fish/shrimp for the same price. Probably was KFC that did it to them.

Sounds like what KFC did and to their chicken at the same time
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The price of fish/seafood over took the price of beef/pork in the late 90's. Filets got smaller and thinner.

Cost of workers went up, and fish is more labor intensive (catching, processing, cooling, transporting, preparing, cooking) than other meats.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Captain D's - are they still around?  I know there's only one Arthur Treacher's left now and HoJo restaurants are finally gone - miss clam night and an orange sherbet afterwards.
View Quote

We have one here. I've never been there, but it's seems to always be busy. The line blocks one lane of the highway at lunch most week days.

Their website shows a new spicy fish/shrimp combo. I might give it a try just for something different.

I prefer corn meal battered catfish, but I had some beer battered catfish last night in Biloxi that was quite good.

I would order it again.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Health craze? Everything was deep fried except the beverages.
View Quote

This. Deep fried everything.

Ivar's in WA state is an exception, but thats because they have chowder and grilled salmon cesaer salads, etc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Arthur Treacher’s was the bomb. Long John Silvers was good too but not as good as AT.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Poor quality, high prices and limited selection.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Poor quality, high prices, and limited selections.

No need to over think the causes.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]
The Decline of Long John Silver's...What Happened?

Funding expansion via major unsustainable debt, same old story with lots of businesses among other reasons.

The Decline of Long John Silver's...What Happened?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Once upon a time Hampton, NH had over 300 boats going out to sea to fish. Today there are less then 10 cause of regulations due to over fishing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Fast food is gross. Fast food seafood is even worse. We make our own seafood at home of go to real seafood restaurants.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah it's a combo with I think A&W right off the interstate. Stopped there last year, haven't been down that way in awhile but headed to Madison on Sunday so I will stop for sure. May make it all the way Middleton before I have "to stop."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there is still a LJS in Tomah. I hate seafood no matter where it comes from.

Yeah it's a combo with I think A&W right off the interstate. Stopped there last year, haven't been down that way in awhile but headed to Madison on Sunday so I will stop for sure. May make it all the way Middleton before I have "to stop."

Now closed, building for sale. Putting their building in the least visible, most inaccessible spot in two interchanges sure didn't help them. Foolish location & slow service. Miss the hushpuppies.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I work on the ocean and use better fish than most people will ever eat for crab bait. I would crush 2 or 3 baskets from Skipper's if you put them in front of me.

Last Skipper's that I can remember was on west 11th in Eugene
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#26]
They sucked.  

And our local LJS hired nothing but the most vibrant creme de le creme
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We still have a couple Captain D’s. Technically we still have 1 LJS that doubles as a KFC.
ETA: lol, I almost forgot I tried to order from that LJS a couple years ago.
They sent a flyer that LJS had fish tacos now. I was like cool, I’ll give those a try and the kids wanted chicken strips so it was going to work out into one stop.
The drive through line was long as fuck and taking forever but finally I get to order.
Go through the families list of what they want and finally get to me to order those tacos.
“I’m sorry we don’t carry those at this location.”
Fucking drove off in disgust without saying another word.
View Quote

There's a Captain D's and a LJS in Farmington. The LJS shares space with A&W.

The Captain D's is sup-par.  Used to be one in West Plains about 15 years ago.  20 years ago they were all over and fairly decent.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#28]
We have a couple of combo KFC/LJS restaurants near my work.  I had some fish from one a few years back when I was feeling nostalgic.  It was the worst, greasy, nasty fish filet I've had in years.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am extremely picky about my seafood. I am not sure why.
View Quote

Seafood food poisoning is worst food poisoning, it’s actually part of my avatar
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No need for them 'round these parts.
View Quote
We have a Red Lobster and a Captain D's here in Ft. Walton.  I'll never understand how they stay in business.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Seafood is getting more expensive, the oceans are getting literally scooped up by hordes of chinese fishing boats

https://news.usni.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/0fa905fe-1864-11e8-ace5-29063da208e4_1280x720_162821.jpeg
View Quote
Where is this guy when you need him?

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember Skippers had an all you could eat every Tuesday for 2 or 3 bucks.  

Would go there with friends when attending OSU.  We certainly got out moneys worth on those nights.

Back then thought the fish was good.  Now I catch my own rockfish and seldom eat anything I didn't catch.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Long John silvers is a yearly guilty pleasure.  All that batter does a number on the old tender tummy but man those chicken strips and hush puppies are the bomb.  

I think people believe seafood should be fresh and they dont equate that with fast food.  It was a novelty for a while but now it’s devolved into a corporate version of a shitty chicken and fish joint you see in the hood.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wish there was a proper English chippy around.
View Quote
When we lived down south north/west of O-Town there was an Irish Pub in Apopka that had theeee most amazing fish & chips among other Irish and Scottish dishes.

Up here, I gotta make my own. Rod and reel, hike out to the river, catch 'em, clean 'em, batter 'em and bake 'em with some home cut tater frys.

It actually does taste better when ya doed it yo sef.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fast food seafood is

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
View Quote

Agreed 110%

Seafood can be good. Fast food can be OK. Both together is disgusting.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Selling fish
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's a Captain D's and a LJS in Farmington. The LJS shares space with A&W.

The Captain D's is sup-par.  Used to be one in West Plains about 15 years ago.  20 years ago they were all over and fairly decent.
View Quote

I remember the one down in West Plains. Ate there at least a couple times. I remember being a little surprised that they had one back then no bigger than West Plains was.
I think I was used to the small towns just having a McD,Sonic,Dairy Queen or a Pizza Hut.
Anything else was only in big cities. Lol.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Ever so often, I'll take the family to Captain D's.  Always left with a stomach ache, and feeling just plain disgusting.  Like I had allowed myself to be poisoned.  

Always vow never to return.

About every two years,  would forget why I don't go there much, and repeat the process.  

Been doing this for years.  It's become a family tradition
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:03:00 AM EDT
[#40]
There’s a Captain D’s nearby. Might have to go there tomorrow. I haven’t been to one in at least 10 years. I used to go to the one on Fort Bragg pretty regularly while I was in the army.  I always liked that and LJS. Just stopped going since there was never one reasonably close to where I lived until I moved into my current house a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:08:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Good question OP

I enjoyed getting dressed up and going  somewhere fancy like Long John Silvers for good sea food .
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#42]
When I was a kid, like six or seven, I loved any and all seafood.  Crab, lobster, shrimp, oysters, I would just eat it up.  My earliest memory is eating at Red Lobster, and promptly puking for the entire night as my parents and I got food poisoning.  

Since then, I can only eat tuna and clam chowder.  A few years ago I tried oysters on the grill with vinegar and they were okay.  I had a few pieces of breaded shrimp and I guess they were okay.  I haven't gone back to the sea bugs yet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#43]
LGS is a once in a blue moon pleasure! Too salty and too expensive. I prefer the sit down chains here like Mayflower and Libby Hills. Either way  seafood is overpriced. I like a good cut of fish and scallops any day but not paying $28 a pound for anything that's not going to fill me up.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#44]
LJS had the Cajun Chicken Wrap back in the late 90's that was badass!

I stopped going in the mid 2000's when the local Skippers and LJS's started hiring nothing but meth heads.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#45]
We had a LHS/A&W in my AO. It went out of business and the building was demolished. Now there is a Wendy's in its place. Owasso has a captain D's. How it stays in business I don't know. Me personally I like Sam's southern eatery. The jump shrimp are good.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I got curious and looked them up, still have a location by the Dayton Mall in Kettering. Haven't eaten D's since maybe 10yo, my grandma loved that place.

The spicy fish option on their menu is intriguing.
View Quote

That may have been the last one i ate at in the 90s.  The mall is not close to Kettering. Believe the ljs there is in centerville\washington twp.

I really enjoy the fried cod plate from Culver's. Blows LJS outta the water
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#47]
There are still one or two LJS in my AO.

I tried taking my daughter (8ish at the time) to one and that shit was nasty.  Most places have fallen from their "peak" from when I was a child in the 80's.

We had a beloved local pizza chain where the original owner Joe W. retired and the kids took over and then I heard finally sold out.  Just horrible now and I just can't understand how they are hanging on.

It's like a wheres Waldo search to find one off mom and pop places to get decent takeout since covid.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
On the topic of Skippers I used to love the place back in the early 90s AMAZING (for fast food). There was a Skippers that opened up a few years ago, and I went there. While I was there I got to meet and talk to the guy that owned the place. I asked him what ever happened and are we going to start seeing more Skippers open back up, and how was the franchise process. I have a friend that's looking into different franchises.

He told me that back in the mid to late 90s Skippers got bought in a leveraged buy our by a investment group, that then went bankrupt. The brand name was then bought by one of the investment bankers that was involved. He said that, if you want to open a Skippers this guys wants a giant cut based off of projected numbers from the books of what sales where back in the 90s rolled forward with population growth. To the point that you just can't do it, in any area that had one in the area. So you have to open little ones in gas stations or in out of the way locations that the banker doesn't have numbers for and then it's a case by case negotiation for how much he's going to get, for you to be able to use the name. It's basically a trade mark that's held hostage and the price to buy it is to high. On top of that, all your are getting is the name, you then have to go out on your own and have everyone custom made to fit the Skippers theme and menu so you stay true to the brand, but you have to sorce it and that's not a easy thing for just a few places to do, what few of them are left work together to get there stuff made. But that really cuts into the bottom line.

So in short, I think they are history. Due to investment shenanigans.
View Quote

Dang. I remember going to Skippers in the mid-80s. We would smash their AYCE lunch. Putting chunks of fish into cups of chowder and scooping them out using the fries. It was pretty good. No issues.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Captain D's - are they still around?
View Quote

The one in my town is always busy when I drive by.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Those $1.69 fish sammiches at Kwik Trip are actually pretty good
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Culvers
Those $1.69 fish sammiches at Kwik Trip are actually pretty good

Kwik Trip fish sandwiches are good. Their burgers suck.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top