Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Dad always had a company car. Usually a Plymouth.

This was "Mom's car" until 1982...

Not the exact same car but pretty close. Mom's had whitewalls and different beauty rings on the wheels. It was pretty much a Boss 429 under the hood. Dad had done some magic to the rear end and suspension too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Earliest I remember is mom drove a 72 Dodge MaxiWagon (15 passenger van) and dad a 72 Dodge Power Wagon, 318 with 4speed. Then the Power Wagon got to be to much for Dad to commute in (driving from Vernon to Newark or LaGuardia airport so he bought a Datsun B210 to commute in. He bought mom a 67 Grand Prix convertible, which had a Ram Air III GTO motor in it. Remember she smoked a T/A around the time Smokey and the Bandit came out. So she bought a AMC Pacer Wagon, wood panels and all.

Oh, mom had a Meyers Manx, as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad always bought Buicks. His nephew was a salesman at the local dealer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
55 Chevy Nomad Wagon before they were considered cool . I believe it was a V8 and three on the tree. Sold about 1960 when it rusted out.

One and then a second VW (beetles) 19961 + 1964

Grand dad died so we took over a almost new Mercury comet .

Rover 2000 (4cyl) . not fast to accelerate but went around corners like it was on rails .

Mercedes 1968 1/2 180? 4 cylinder.

Mercedes was a hoot to drive and the second bug (1964) became my first car when mom bought a super beetle .

It was great havening my own car buy boy were those 40hp beetles gutless .

We were going to Vermont quite a bit to ski and both the Rover and the Mercedes were great on nasty snow and icy roads. Don't know how many times we ran along with no problems on nasty roads with dozens of other skiers spun out in the medians
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
“American” cars. Yamaha motorcycles. Ford trucks. Oldsmobile, Chevy and Buick sedans. Had a Jeep for a couple years. Dad had a stick shift 6 cylinder Mustang briefly. He sold it to my grandmother. I wrecked his Buick regal the first time I borrowed it at 16. Those cars all sucked compared to anything you can buy today.

One of my uncles bought a new car called a “Honda” that no one had ever seen before.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Earliest I remember (around 88 I guess) my father had a 63-5 Wagoneer he turned into a pickup, his 65 Impala SS (still has it) and my mother had a 78 Grenada.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad had a 68 Mustang Maroon with a Vinyl top and Black Vinyl seats. Cragar rims that he sprayed gold. It had no rear seatbelts. Guess where I sat?
When that broke down, got an Orange Mercury Comet and then had a Silver Maverick with Red Racing Stripes.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#8]
'80-something Citation, '88 Buick Century and dad had a '76 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Sport van.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Added this in 1963:

Attachment Attached File

And upgraded to this in 1965:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Usually a big fat Pontiac or Chevy station wagon or sedan.
Heres one of them in the background behind my brother and I on 12/25/1976

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
The first car I can remember was a 1951-era Hudson Hornet Cream-colored Convertible. I'll never forget it. It had lots of crome but was a disgusting piece of junk. Dad bought it 2d handbut looked like new. It was breaking down constantly. The last time was late at night and my Mom had us kids in the back seat. We were in downtown Akron, heading home and suddenly the right front wheel fell off. I saw it roll down the street ahead of us as we came to a grinding halt. It was early morning when we finally got home. I never saw that car again. Good riddance.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#13]
1963 white Rambler.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Dad had a 1968 Chevy Impala SS convertible with the 427.
He bought it to bring me and Mom home from the hospital.
He had a 1964 Impala SS before that but he was rear ended and didn’t want the car repaired.

Both were white with a red interior and a black top. He always bought his cars fully loaded so it had air conditioning, power windows, door locks, and cruise control.

That car didn’t last long because it rusted out in about 6 years due to all the road salt used in Montreal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
First one I remember was the 1959 chevy wagon. It was this style, but all black.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
1971 Chevy Nova.  Yellow, black vinyl top and interior, V8.  3 on the floor.  was pretty sweet.  I used to have a picture of the 'child seat' they had for it that I rode in.  It was ... not safe looking!  

Also had a 67 or 68 Ford F100 Ranger.  Orange.  I called it the General Lee, it even had a CB in it. Glory days, me and my kid brother riding in the bed, no seats, no seat belts, half the time standing in it, 'surfing'.  LoL.  We later had a camper on it, and I'd ride in there.  That was 'scarier' than just being in the bed, cause you had cabinets swinging open, drawers, etc.  LoL.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My mom had a big ass green Bruick LeSabre and my dad drove a Opel in the late 70s then dad bought a Camaro
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#18]
My mom had a green 79 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham...We called it the Pukemobile, but not for the color. Me and my sister used to get car sick...a lot. We would keep empty Folgers coffee cans to puke in.

https://www.autobarnclassiccars.com/vehicles/782/1979-pontiac-bonneville-brougham
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
A like 72 olds that my mom won in a raffle
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#20]
4 Door and 2 door sedans.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#21]
When it comes to these polls, and the bots that exist out there (not saying OP is one). I sometimes think I should answer them in full with lies that I keep careful records of.  And then see where it pops back up.  Sort of: a "The water purifier in Midway is broken", test...

While this is no doubt an honest question - there is a value to knowing and compiling intimate detail dossiers on people.  And we now live in an era where an inept retard with a broken view of the world who can barely function in life (like say... Biden); can just order a machine to do that for him now.

It's not that I'm paranoid - this is actually true now.  It's that I probably should just give less of a shit than I do.  I probably should work on that!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#22]
First car I remember mom driving was a 50's something Bel Air.

Dad liked Chrysler New Yorkers.  Later he started driving Jeep Wagoneers
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#23]
The first car that can remember was 53' light green woody Ford station wagon. For some reason I still remember the day dad bought the next car a grey and white 57' Ford woody, 3 speed and a radio no a/c.  In 62' dad got his first office a car bare bones 62' Corvair two speed auto that he bought for us kids when the Camero came out and they upgraded office cars.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17143/IMG_0565_jpg-3116629.JPG
My dad had this car when I was  7 or 8, and sold it in 1979.
Stumbled across it 2 years ago and bought it back.
View Quote

That is awesome!
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top