BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A classic French omelette has (and should continue to be) a litmus test for one’s skills at the range.

So, too, is demonstrating proper knife skills.  If one can reproduce these basic (check out this random link I found online ) shapes over and over, then one has decent knife skills

I still have nightmares about having to crank out large quantities of vegetables tournés. Just when you think you’ve got it down, a hungover (or perhaps drunk) Frenchman tells you your work is shit and throws it all in the trash.  Oh, now you only have 20 minutes to make new ones and you’re still not done with the rest of your mise.
View Quote

I was just a lowly line/prep cook in a 'high end' (Aka they had steaks and flaming fajitas and lobster) Mexican food joint, but damn did I hand dice a shitload of tomatoes when I worked there. We would gather round the prep table and fill literal 55 Gal trashcans with diced tomatoes for pico de gallo. The onions were easy, the jalapenos were a pain in the ass especially when you had to run back to the line to fire off lunch orders.

And I was young and didn't understand the utility of a truly sharp knife. We did all of that tomato cutting with a shitty Cisco special sharpened on one of those electric pull through sharpeners. Cut myself so many damn times when the blade walked off the skin.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A classic French omelette has (and should continue to be) a litmus test for one’s skills at the range.

So, too, is demonstrating proper knife skills.  If one can reproduce these basic (check out this random link I found online ) shapes over and over, then one has decent knife skills

I still have nightmares about having to crank out large quantities of vegetables tournés. Just when you think you’ve got it down, a hungover (or perhaps drunk) Frenchman tells you your work is shit and throws it all in the trash.  Oh, now you only have 20 minutes to make new ones and you’re still not done with the rest of your mise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know two different people who were asked to cook egg dishes when they were first interviewing for jobs out of culinary school.

When my dad interviewed for kitchen work, the exec chef threw him an artichoke and told him to tournée it first thing,
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was just a lowly line/prep cook in a 'high end' (Aka they had steaks and flaming fajitas and lobster) Mexican food joint, but damn did I hand dice a shitload of tomatoes when I worked there. We would gather round the prep table and fill literal 55 Gal trashcans with diced tomatoes for pico de gallo. The onions were easy, the jalapenos were a pain in the ass especially when you had to run back to the line to fire off lunch orders.

And I was young and didn't understand the utility of a truly sharp knife. We did all of that tomato cutting with a shitty Cisco special sharpened on one of those electric pull through sharpeners. Cut myself so many damn times when the blade walked off the skin.
View Quote

Never touch your pecker without thorough hand washing after chopping jalapeños.  (Or remove/put in contact lenses)
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Dammit. Now I want one of those mushroom Swiss burgers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a chef, too. 1 year at Hardee's.

Dammit. Now I want one of those mushroom Swiss burgers

Easily my favorite burger. I judge any burger joint by this burger if they offer one.

Hardee's version is pretty far up there, even against "higher tier" restaurants. Tried one at Culvers, where I really like their other burgers. It was pitiful. Sad.

There's a local hole-in-the-wall dive we go to somewhat regularly. Several years ago, I explained to the waitress I want a burger with their fried mushrooms, grilled onions, brown gravy, and two slices of swiss cheese.  One each, top and bottom. Toasted bun. I'd get it every time. When they got around to replacing their menu, my burger was on there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
OP-not done, but others will say eggs over easy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Never touch your pecker without thorough hand washing after chopping jalapeños.  (Or remove/put in contact lenses)
View Quote

I once picked my nose after chopping jalapeños without washing my hands first. It burned for like an hour
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Listen here you damn heathens. You put the eggs in medium-low heat. Butter.

The whites start to set around the yolk. You turn it OVER. 15 seconds. No more. No less. Off the heat, onto plate.

OVER easy. Yolk is easy. Whites firm. That’s what OVER EASY is. Easy yolk, turned over. It’s in the damn name.

OVER. EASY.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I once picked my nose after chopping jalapeños without washing my hands first. It burned for like an hour
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made the mistake of deveining habaneros without gloves.  Lesson learned.  Lesson staying learned.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I made the mistake of deveining habaneros without gloves.  Lesson learned.  Lesson staying learned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gloves are the way and the light, weather your handling jalapenos or other chilis to make a good bowel of red....

No glove no love!

I done made that mistake too many times in the past.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paging one of the SMEs in this thread to the curtesy phone.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/yQOEgRw-67.gif

Ok,
I’m here

It’s over medium

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136311/18F13EC8-0CFA-411E-9CE6-25A7B2E9BCA6_png-2738411.JPG

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over medium.

FPNI… again.

Over easy it’s never flipped.

Over medium is flipped but still runny.

Over hard is flipped and fried until fully cooked and awful.

If you’re going to hard fry an egg, just scramble it.

If true, why am I always delivered raw eggs when I ask for “easy”?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fingered the hostess after doing the same. It was awesome for about 90 seconds.

To this day her name was…fire crotch.  I’m proud of that one. One of my life’s greatest achievements. Nobody would put a dick in her after that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Then what's "Over Easy"?  I thought Over Easy was a flipped egg to set the white over a runny yolk.  Over Medium is a lightly set yolk while Over Hard is a set yolk like a hard boiled egg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over medium.

Then what's "Over Easy"?  I thought Over Easy was a flipped egg to set the white over a runny yolk.  Over Medium is a lightly set yolk while Over Hard is a set yolk like a hard boiled egg.

This is how I understand it too.

Over easy = flipped (unlike sunny side up), but the yolk is still runny.

Those look runnier than what I'd expect of over medium.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Over medium.
View Quote
This. Poll fail.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

FPNI

Poll fail.

An over easy egg is an egg that’s been fried on one side only & both the white & yellow are runny. The egg in the pictures has been flipped over & fried on both sides & is thus an over medium egg.

Dippy egg? Good grief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over medium.

FPNI

Poll fail.

An over easy egg is an egg that’s been fried on one side only & both the white & yellow are runny. The egg in the pictures has been flipped over & fried on both sides & is thus an over medium egg.

Dippy egg? Good grief.

Sunny side up = NOT flipped or turned over, with a runny yolk (whites do not have to be runny).

Over Easy = egg was flipped over, and cooked 'Easy' so the white over the yolk is cooked, but the yolk is still runny.

Over medium = flipped over, and the yolk is partially firm.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Disagree. Over medium means the yolk has just a bit of runny. Yolk has started to be solid.

Those pics are a full runny yolk. The entire yolk. So it’s an easy yolk. The over is only if you turn the egg over.

Over hard is full solid yolk. May as well order your steak well done, because it’s ruined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI.

Over medium as intended.

Disagree. Over medium means the yolk has just a bit of runny. Yolk has started to be solid.

Those pics are a full runny yolk. The entire yolk. So it’s an easy yolk. The over is only if you turn the egg over.

Over hard is full solid yolk. May as well order your steak well done, because it’s ruined.

This
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s been a while since I cooked for a living.  I was in the pre glove, get-a-fingercot-when-you-cut-yourself time frame.

Ah, the good old days.

This was also before disposal contact lenses.  Man, you got some of that capsaicin into your soft lenses when you took them out (before passing out as you spent the 6 hours after your shift in the kitchen drinking as much as possible and doing any drugs someone handed you) and you were going to have a rough day when you put them in the next afternoon when you finally woke up.

I wish we had gloves.  

Edited for autocorrect
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I fingered the hostess after doing the same. It was awesome for about 90 seconds.

To this day her name was…fire crotch.  I’m proud of that one. One of my life’s greatest achievements. Nobody would put a dick in her after that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

Yes. Notice whites have ZERO to do with it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It’s been a while since I cooked for a living.  I was in the pre glove, get-a-fingercot-when-you-cut-yourself time frame.

Ah, the good old days.

This was also before disposal contact lenses.  Man, you got some of that capsaicin into your soft lenses when you took them out (before passing out as you spent the 6 hours after your shift in the kitchen drinking as much as possible and doing any drugs someone handed you) and you were going to have a rough day when you put them in the next afternoon when you finally woke up.

I wish we had gloves.  

Edited for autocorrect
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, the good old days.

I wish we had gloves.  

Edited for autocorrect

That’s pretty hardcore.  Another reason I don’t use contacts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Gloves are the way and the light, weather your handling jalapenos or other chilis to make a good bowel of red....

No glove no love!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No glove no love!

Preach it!
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Are we really going to have a week long conversation on eggs?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s better than trannies and pedos.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Over easy, over medium has a slightly set yolk but still a little runny over hard is well done.

My preferred is sunny side up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Easily my favorite burger. I judge any burger joint by this burger if they offer one.

Hardee's version is pretty far up there, even against "higher tier" restaurants. Tried one at Culvers, where I really like their other burgers. It was pitiful. Sad.

There's a local hole-in-the-wall dive we go to somewhat regularly. Several years ago, I explained to the waitress I want a burger with their fried mushrooms, grilled onions, brown gravy, and two slices of swiss cheese.  One each, top and bottom. Toasted bun. I'd get it every time. When they got around to replacing their menu, my burger was on there.
View Quote

A local place does a mushroom Swiss burger, its an old school drive in like sonic. Ill literally drive 35 miles round trip to get one. A patty melt and a mushroom Swiss are how I judge a burger place.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#26]
My favorite way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Over medium
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keep it up bucko and we’ll get our own egg forum.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Over medium.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Keep it up bucko and we’ll get our own egg forum.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#31]
What do you assholes have to say about this?

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.atelierdeschefs.com/media/recette-e14289-oeuf-a-la-coque.jpg
View Quote

Needs more soldiers
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like a 65(ish) degree egg.

Us Americans would colloquially call it a “2 minute egg” but it’s cooking time was probably closer to 4 minutes.  Commonly referred to as a “soft boiled egg”.

Edit to add:  they are fucking delicious.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Looks like a 65(ish) degree egg.

Us Americans would colloquially call it a “2 minute egg” but it’s cooking time was probably closer to 4 minutes.  Commonly referred to as a “soft boiled egg”.

Edit to add:  they are fucking delicious.
View Quote

In Europe they have a kitchen gadget that makes them 5 at a time. Season with celery salt and dig in with some of that good ass euro bread yuuuuum.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s been a long time since I had a soft boiled in an egg cup.  My mom has a set somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top