Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#1]
War is hell; total war is total hell.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the next time someone like Patton says we gotta finish the job and take out all the commies/other progressives, listen to him.
View Quote

Give this man a raise!!!!

Truth!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The lesson is to have a department of war not a department of defense and to fight to win the war not tie or lose with one arm tied behind our backs.  I’m guessing the jag corps was smaller in WWII than the GWOT.
View Quote

I think the problem is with embedding reporters with the frontline soldiers.
News of the war should come from the top brass. With todays media and even as far back as the Vietnam War how we fought was hindered by public opinion. The vocal, liberal public, not the general public.
Get rid of the fear of public and world backlash and you wouldn't have that roadblock to victory.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Prolonged high intensity warfare is won with logistics.
View Quote
I think I'd add industrial capacity to that as well.
Also that quality can get beat by good enough but lots more in the right place at the right time, but that probably ties back into logistics.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Maintain a means of manufacture, food production and logistics. The US was truly the only country left standing because we could still eat and make shit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Stamp out communism when you have the chance?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think it's completely incomprehensible to the modern Western mind how ruthless and sadistic the Soviet, Japanese, and German governments got.  For me, the key lesson is how important it is for civilians to be very widely armed with rifles as a check against that happening again.
View Quote

what about the US and British governments who were cool with bombing population centers on purpose?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't side with communists. It's a good rule for life.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're Poland, don't trust your enemies.

Or your allies.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Appeasement does not work.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Don’t let communist spread . And don’t loose or the entire affair will be blamed on you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#12]
The one lesson we should have learned after WW 1, is to stay the fuck out of European wars.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Start shit, have shit pushed in. Live and learn.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#16]
At times communities go nuts
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Don’t invade Russia in the winter
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
How evil men can be, and how simple it is to find people willing to carry out orders.

They don't teach that sort of thing in schools though...
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
We should of listened to Patton.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Total war actually ends wars.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Aside from “don’t start giant wars or commit genocide”, the most important practical lesson is don’t bite off more than you can chew, no matter how good you are pound for pound. This is the cautionary tale of Germany and Japan.
View Quote

This is the ultimate lesson from that war.  What would the world look like today had Nazi Germany not moved east past Poland and Czechoslovakia and Imperial Japan had not attacked any US territories.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#22]
The massive bombing raids were mostly ineffective which some would claim were more about terrorizing and total war (war crimes territory).  A study I read years ago determined that the allies could have bombed a few vital electric grids which would have knocked Germany's war machine completely out.  Just imagine all those senseless deaths that could have been avoided.  

But that's how we thought & fought back then.  

Now we go for the communication and logistic networks which are easily defeated and repaired once the conflict is over.  I honestly don't think Americans could stomach wiping out entire cities these days.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The most important lesson is that all governments lie to their people and use propaganda all the time, especially the American Government.
View Quote

They all did and still do.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it's completely incomprehensible to the modern Western mind how ruthless and sadistic the Soviet, Japanese, and German governments got.  For me, the key lesson is how important it is for civilians to be very widely armed with rifles as a check against that happening again.
View Quote

You do realize we don't have any conclusive examples of an armed citizenry actually working in that regard yet, right?  The Brits were amateurs compared to the monstrous governments we have today, and not one of them has been stopped or deposed by simple internal force of arms.   Yet.

The big lesson from WW2 was that it was a mistake to let the Soviets go on their merry way.   We probably could have still turned things around prior to the late 60's.   Instead - there is a non-zero chance now that our culture is going to shuffle off into the sunset.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Give this man a raise!!!!

Truth!!!!!
View Quote

General Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. was another shining example. Shoulda let him take Baghdad when he was ~100 miles away, and the enemy was just fucked.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Atomic weapons good.
But also very scary.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
war is gay
View Quote

Indeed.

I am convinced this is why Putin wants to invade Ukraine. Its because he is a gay homosexual!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
war is gay
View Quote

Indeed.

I am convinced this is why Putin wants to invade Ukraine. Its because he is a gay homosexual!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Bomb your enemy into capitulation. The goal shouldn’t be  “hearts and minds”, it should be “total fucking destruction until they unconditionally surrender followed by wiping your dick on the curtains as you leave”.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bomb your enemy into capitulation. The goal shouldn’t be  “hearts and minds”, it should be “total fucking destruction until they unconditionally surrender followed by wiping your dick on the curtains as you leave”.
View Quote

And it only worked when atomic weapons were in play.
Germany didn't surrender until someone else's troops were in their capital.
Japan didn't surrender even though her merchant fleet was almost completely sunk, her harbors were mined, and her cities were being firebombed to the ground on a weekly basis. Until the US demonstrated the ability to do that kind of damage with a single plane.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Just read the Art of War and Machiavelli.

All the lessons are there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
The side that can put the most stuff where the fight is wins.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Never stop investing in your rights and ability to defend yourself, as an individual, or as a country.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't invade Finland.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Don’t invade Russia in winter.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#36]
The lesson that Europe failed to learn was that the population should be allowed to own firearms. The Germans easily subjugated their unarmed asses and made them their slaves. How do you think the Holocausts would have gone if the Jews were armed?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#37]
How deeply the post-war generation (and the war generation to a lesser extent) bought the official line. 1984 could have been titled 1944.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#38]
When you done winning the war…leave the enemies to clean up the fucking mess…don’t rebuild for them
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I see the Russian/Winter thing a lot, and I don't think that's the right lesson.  Operation Barbarossa was actually a stunning success until Hitler micromanaged it into the ground.  It was launched in June, which was as soon as they could after letting the muddy roads dry out.  Not winter.  Army Group North had nearly unqualified success and laid siege to Leningrad as planned.  Army Group South was delayed but did reach Kiev where they encircled and wiped out a massive Soviet army.  Army Group Center similarly cleared the path to Moscow but then was ping-ponged around to try and help the delayed AG South.  This held them up and consumed enough supplies they weren't able to occupy Moscow before Stalin was able to bring in 30 divisions from Siberia and literally pack up factories to be rebuilt in the east.  The generals on the ground begged to drive straight to Moscow but Hitler wouldn't budge.

The real lesson is don't let a Lance Corporal micromanage an assault from 1000 miles away and don't let Hermann Goering handle your logistics.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#40]
That the strongest Navy in the history of the world, supporting the Bretton Woods system, was the greatest thing in the progress of human history.

The coming world wide trials and tribulations will prove how great.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When you done winning the war…leave the enemies to clean up the fucking mess…don’t rebuild for them
View Quote

Without the Bretton Wood's agreement, supporting rebuilding and capitol investment world wide of the vanquished, most American citizens would be living in a backwater.

The state of U.S. wealth and technology would make a microwave oven the epitome of high living for the wealthy.

The wealth and progress we generated in America by rebuilding the destroyed is incalculable.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

General LeMay, is that you? I thought you were dead.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's funny, but natural gas is heavier than air.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL, here's a snippet from Rick Atkinson's book, An Army at Dawn, where he describes the chaos after transporting thousands of soldiers and tons of cargo and equipment across the United States to Virginia for deployment to Africa:

Naughty Norfolk catered to those looking for sin before shipping out...The town's iniquity grew with the arrival of each new regiment. Every night, thousands of men swarmed down East Main Street, described as "the largest, most solid block of beer joints in the world." Taxis became rolling brothels, and fleets of "girlie trailers" served the concupiscent. On October 18 (1942), vice officers arrested 115 people in the "largest morals raid in local history." His jail cells bulging, Norfolk's police chief asked the federal government to "give me a concentration camp...a camp large enough to handle two or three thousand women."

Some soldiers inflated condoms with natural gas from tent heaters and floated them toward town, with notes attached inviting any girl willing to comfort a departing warrior to infiltrate the security area.

That's funny, but natural gas is heavier than air.

Back to high school chemistry for you......natural gas IS lighter than air.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Um, no it isn't.
View Quote

Corrected myself.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Back to high school chemistry for you......natural gas IS lighter than air.
View Quote

Yeah, that was an "oops."
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top