Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/6/2023 9:44:50 PM EDT
What do you all recommend to do when a dog snaps or nips at kids?

I'm no dog expert, been reading a lot on the Internet but I'm curious as to what GD has to say.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on if kid was teasing dog but it usually gets flipped over on its back and pinned to the ground. Or knocked across the room
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Get rid of the dog.  

My dogs defend my kids.  My mal bit me because I was having a pillow fight with my boys.

I have zero tolerance for dogs not knowing where they are in the pack.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not tolerate a dog that bites.  Your dog? Neighbors? Stray/loose?

Context is really important here.  I have zero sympathy for a dog that bites.  I was mauled and torn the fuck up by 2 Rottweilers.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get rid of the dog.  

View Quote

This, unless it were a long time trusted dog and the kids Really asked for it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I adopted a dog that the shelter told me they "took to schools and she loved children." I had my nephew over, who was about 5, and was carefully introducing the dog to him when he jumped right at his face. I caught the dog by the throat mid-air about 8 inches from my nephews face.

I called the shelter and told them, "I'm bringing the dog back today or he'll be dead by sunset." That was the first and last dog I'll get from a shelter.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
To the dog or to the kid?
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depends on if kid was teasing dog but it usually gets flipped over on its back and pinned to the ground. Or knocked across the room
View Quote

Second then first. Maintain eye contact with dog on its back and a firm grip on the jugular.

Then, next time that scenario happens and they handle it correctly, strong praise.

To your first point. The above plus punishment for the kid for not properly treating a member of the family.

The dog isn't in charge, the kid isn't in charge, you are.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get rid of the dog.  

Yea.  It would have to be really justified.  Like a really bad pain response.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Dog must be put down
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Context is really important here.  I have zero sympathy for a dog that bites.  I was mauled and torn the fuck up by 2 Rottweilers.
View Quote

I know context matters, I purposely left that out to get some unqualified responses.

We're dogsitting, but will be done next Friday so this has an end to it.  I'm mostly curious from an overall perspective.

It's happened a couple times where my 4 year old daughter is petting the dog laying down and the floor and the dog snaps at her, one time actually connected a little.  Scared her but didn't break skin or anything. The last time he did it I grabbed the dog by the collar to drag him outside, he snapped at me, I kicked his butt outside.

I haven't seen the kids do anything mean, they generally dote on the dog, always wanting to give him treats and stuff.  The dogs owners have 7 kids so it must be used to kids.  

I've never actually owned a dog but we're considering it after we buy some land.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dog must be put down
View Quote

I'm hesitant to do that since it's not my dog, but if it actually hurt one of my kids I wouldn't hesitate.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#13]
It’s my dog. You don’t need to touch it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Had one that was ridiculously tolerant to everyone including kids, but had some in-law kids even I had a hard time putting up with and they tugged the ears one to many times and he more turned fast with a growl than teeth.

Parents knew the kids know better and got on to them to leave the dog alone they were being annoying. Gotta admit I was a bit surprised by their response. Kids didn't mess w the dog again and he didn't get agitated anymore either.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends on what's going on.

Just read the context. Sounds like the dog doesn't like kids and it's probably a bad idea to have the dog around.

Dogs have a limited amount of ways of communication. So I'm a bit more lenient depending on what is happening. Random snapping or kids just walks up, hell no. Dog has done everything in its power to exit the situation and the kid keeps on, don't blame them. Although in the second scenario that's where we come in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
At the very least, I wouldn’t let your kid be near the dog you are sitting.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know context matters, I purposely left that out to get some unqualified responses.

We're dogsitting, but will be done next Friday so this has an end to it.  I'm mostly curious from an overall perspective.

It's happened a couple times where my 4 year old daughter is petting the dog laying down and the floor and the dog snaps at her, one time actually connected a little.  Scared her but didn't break skin or anything. The last time he did it I grabbed the dog by the collar to drag him outside, he snapped at me, I kicked his butt outside.

I haven't seen the kids do anything mean, they generally dote on the dog, always wanting to give him treats and stuff.  The dogs owners have 7 kids so it must be used to kids.  

I've never actually owned a dog but we're considering it after we buy some land.
View Quote

You left out what kind of dog.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm no dog expert, been reading a lot on the Internet but I'm curious as to what GD has to say.
View Quote

A lot of it depends on WHY the dog snaps.  In general, dogs have only two tricks to "protect" themselves from kids - walking away or snipping.  You need to teach other behaviors, and work on underlying reasons why the dog might snip - like resource guarding, etc..

One of my dogs snipped at my kids once or twice, I worked even harder on obedience and on the resource guarding, and it never happened again in her 17 years of life.

Also... we taught our dogs to lick someone's face on command, then extended that to licking the face of little kids.  They learned IMMEDIATELY that it would make kids turn and walk away, and they IMMEDIATELY started using that on kids that were bothering them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some sort of yellow lab looking mutt
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm hesitant to do that since it's not my dog, but if it actually hurt one of my kids I wouldn't hesitate.
View Quote

Don’t dog sit anymore. You probably shouldn’t get one either.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#21]
This is generally a bad place to ask dog advice, marriage advice, medical advice, well just advice in general really.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol. 7 kids?  Sure dog is used to kids, but dog is on vacation now not the other way around. Just wants to chill and be left alone until vacation is over.

But seriously, do you have dogs of your own/kids raised around pets?  Does your child know they aren't plush toys but in dog years may be saying get off my lawn?  Maybe their kids are so used to the dog they don't slather it with attention and he/she is generally left alone.

If it was a problem call the owners or put it in a shelter until they come back.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is generally a bad place to ask dog advice, marriage advice, medical advice, well just advice in general really.
View Quote

Oh I know, I think GD may have a higher than average rate of dog ownership and they generally like dogs more than people.

I'm taking all that into account
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lol. 7 kids?  Sure dog is used to kids, but dog is on vacation now not the other way around. Just wants to chill and be left alone until vacation is over.

But seriously, do you have dogs of your own/kids raised around pets?  Does your child know they aren't plush toys but in dog years may be saying get off my lawn?  Maybe their kids are so used to the dog they don't slather it with attention and he/she is generally left alone.

If it was a problem call the owners or put it in a shelter until they come back.
View Quote

Owners are useless idiots. Dog chases cars and barks at people all day.  It can sit and shake for a great bit is otherwise poorly trained.

I'm mostly interested in my own edification for possible future dog ownership.

My assumption is that with most family friendly dog breeds, if you raise it from a pup, have kids and the kids behave, you're less likely to have problems like these.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#27]
If I were dog sitting one, I’d call the owner and ask him who he wants to get to come pick it up or what boarder he wants it dropped off at. Dog would be gone before I laid my head down.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get rid of the dog.  

My dogs defend my kids.  My mal bit me because I was having a pillow fight with my boys.

View Quote

He didn't say it was his kids.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Depends.

Dog asleep and kid yanks his tail?  Tell the kid not to do that.

Dog being territorial?  Roll him, pin him, hand on throat, other hand hold his muzzle shut, put him in his place, scare him good.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Drop kick.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Bullet
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd give the dog a treat and smack the kid upside the head... I don't have kids or dogs, but in the situations where I've seen this happen the kid is always to blame.

Unfortunately, what usually happens is the owners of the dog usually flip out and become unhinged at the dog. And seeing people become that enraged at an animal that operates on instinct is very disturbing. Seriously, that amount of rage should be saved and directed at your liberal politicians that are literally destroying this county and all your rights, not your dog.

There's also a connection to be made here to the road ragers. The people that snap like this are very high strung individuals.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#33]
This is the reason I like small dogs.
For the most part, they don't or can't do much damage.
My last dog was a Pomeranian and didn't have a mean or watch dog bone in her body.
My cats were much meaner and figured out ways to mess with her.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Get rid of the dog.  

View Quote

Your convictions do not stand on your actions.

So many folks do not understand how to properly own a dog.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Owners are useless idiots. Dog chases cars and barks at people all day.  It can sit and shake for a great bit is otherwise poorly trained.

I'm mostly interested in my own edification for possible future dog ownership.

My assumption is that with most family friendly dog breeds, if you raise it from a pup, have kids and the kids behave, you're less likely to have problems like these.
View Quote

Explains a bit. Sounds like an owner issue, like having a kid with a first or second grade education and thinking that's all they need to be a good adult.

I wouldn't base this experience on having one of your own.  I would say your assumption is generally right too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Best friends (of like 34 years) dog bit my kid (4 at the time). Small puncture wound on the cheek. Ok, let me clarify , it was actually his wife's dog, they have separate dogs. Anyway, The kid and dog had walked right behind us then it happened so our backs were turned and we didn't see what lead up to it. Dog had always acted a little skiddish, but not really overly aggressive. I immediately moved to slit the dogs throat where it stood, but wife stopped me short. We composed ourselves (and the kid) and immediately left. Friends asked how we wanted to handle it. I wanted the dog gone, but just left it at our kid will never be near the dog again. They offered to pay any medical bills (we had him looked at but there was nothing needed other than some precautionary antibiotics). They (stupidly) kept the dog. It's since bit 2 more people (both adults). I would've killed the bastard after the first one, but it's the wife's fur baby so no-no-no. Now they have a toddler and when they had her I straight asked my buddy what he was gonna do when the dog bit his kid, he just gave me the look. So their answer was to put the dog on so many drugs that it's just stoned out of its gourd. Thing just shuffles around high all the time. I honestly should've done the world a favor and killed it where it stood and dealt with the repercussions.

Funny thing is they have another dog that's the dudes dog. Sweet as can be, very friendly, everyone loves that dog. He's a very good boy. The wife hates him. But she loves her dog and thinks he's the greatest thing ever. He's bit 3 people and everyone hates him and avoids him. Go figure.

In short: my answer is if it's a warning type thing, it gets one pass and the fear of God put in it where it undoubtedly knows it's place. Granted I can't get too mad if it's a warning type thing because the kid is yanking on its ears or something , but even that a well behaved dog won't react aggressively to. The level with which that "fear of God" point is achieved is up to interpretation. Consistently doing that, it's getting the boot, so long. If it legit bites a kid, it just signed it's death warrant. I'll never make the mistake of letting something like that go again. It still haunts me.

ETA: my reply was s based on OP's first, very short post. Didn't see his follow up with details later.

In regards to the more detailed situation:
If doggy sitting and it snaps, it gets isolated from the family for the remainder of the time and never allowed back.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I've only had one dog that snapped or bit a child and the dogs mama literally ripped it's throat out. Don't if the bite or the blood was worse ?
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#38]
They generally recommend a 22 to the dome
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Darn you brutal on kids
Lighten up Francis LOL
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you’re dog sitting you need to keep the dog separate from your kids from this point forward and never let it near your kids again

Now you know and from this point forward if something happens it’s your fault.  Not the dog’s. Not the kid’s. Yours.  I know that sounds harsh but the dog has now told you it doesn’t jive with your kids

If that means putting it in a kennel and then handing the bill to your friends when they get back so be it

I assume you have a way to get in touch with them?

Hello?  This is your friend.  Your dog has now tried to bite my children.  I presume you’d rather me put it in a kennel than have it in a situation where it might hurt one of my kids and I might be in a situation where I have to hurt your dog

End of story

If you can keep it somewhere in your house separate from the kids and such then great.  A basement, etc.  fine. But ir doesn’t get to come around the kids anymore

and fwiw I love dogs.  I own giant breeds that could easily kill a human. My 200 pound mastiff is snoring at my feet right now.  This shit doesn’t fly.  But you’re the responsible party now.  The one with the higher brain functions.  Anything that happens from here on out is on you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#41]
FPNI

Dogs aren't humans, they need to be shown.

Edit: flipped works really well in my experience
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Get rid of the kid.

Dogs can be good judges of character. Deep down you must know the kid is a little shit anyway.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Smack it on the ass until it stops, just like how I train them not to bite me. I don't buy pitbulls though, so it's not really an issue.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I got nipped a few times as a kid. Fucking around with a working dog.

My dad didn't shoot the dog or beat it. He kicked my ass for fucking with it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Dog learns 3 things:

Don’t do that

The child is higher in pecking order than him

I am the Alpha
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've only had one dog that snapped or bit a child and the dogs mama literally ripped it's throat out.
View Quote
Damn, you could have made a killing selling it's seed to Michael Vick.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Edit: Beat, but great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Depends on context, but mostly berate myself for not keeping a closer eye on things.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Snaps at can mean a lot of things
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#50]
My 10 year old GSD snapped at my niece that jumped on him while he was asleep. She receved one stitch on her chin. No one blamed the dog, he's 14 now and loves my 1 year old, we're just careful.

I was ready to take him to be put down, but my sister apologized profusely and didn't want that to happen.

I'd say it's completely situation dependent
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top