BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your clumsy attempt at thread derailment is laughable.

AR's have more value, SCAR's are just more expensive.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Ok, so now we are back to the SCAR being worth WAY more than a similar optioned AR, yet selling for the same price.  

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a similarly optioned AR at close to the same weight of a SCAR that is 3-4x's less.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm still waiting for someone to show me a similarly optioned AR at close to the same weight of a SCAR that is 3-4x's less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

I'm still waiting for you to post in the slidefire thread.

Don't hold your breath.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bigger is not always better.  The g36 didn't need all that extra mass, it cycles fine.  Same with AR's, and like... all sorts of other guns.

View Quote

Bigger is not always better, but it usually is. Reference the SCAR and ICW trials or even the much disputed "dust test." The SCAR and XM8 (G36) come out on top.

There is a distinction here between cycling "fine" and cycling better. The AR and "all sorts of other guns" I'm aware are very reliable, the SCAR potentially more so.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Don't hold your breath.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Don't hold your breath.

Why do you want me to post in the slidefire thread?  I have never shot a gun with a slidefire, and have never cared to look in to them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why do you want me to post in the slidefire thread?  I have never shot a gun with a slidefire, and have never cared to look in to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Yet you'll post all about them in this thread...

Maybe that thread will change your mind after you learn about them and you'll not be able to live without one.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Maybe that thread will change your mind after you learn about them and you'll not be able to live without one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

If I buy a slidefire, will you buy a SCAR?  Say the word and I'll place the order.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Bigger is not always better, but it usually is. Reference the SCAR and ICW trials or even the much disputed "dust test." The SCAR and XM8 (G36) come out on top.

There is a distinction here between cycling "fine" and cycling better. The AR and "all sorts of other guns" I'm aware are very reliable, the SCAR potentially more so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bigger is not always better.  The g36 didn't need all that extra mass, it cycles fine.  Same with AR's, and like... all sorts of other guns.

Did you ever have a problem with the M4 in the military?

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

about 5% had issues as they were not indexed to the machine improperly, every single one has been replaced according to Alan Handl is what I said. I do not know if there were fitment of function issues only that there could be. could be

One thing that can not be discounted is the number of trigger modules that were not installed properly. The SCAR 25 requires following specific directions exactly, it is a stressed member which no other SCAR trigger module is. Initial mating is important in that process.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first 300 of these lowers produced had OEM parts fitment issues as well as function issues (verified by Klrb929 in previous threads).

http://4c5oy13toq2z4b6dz22n11bctyl.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/HD_PressRelease_2012.pdf

about 5% had issues as they were not indexed to the machine improperly, every single one has been replaced according to Alan Handl is what I said. I do not know if there were fitment of function issues only that there could be. could be

One thing that can not be discounted is the number of trigger modules that were not installed properly. The SCAR 25 requires following specific directions exactly, it is a stressed member which no other SCAR trigger module is. Initial mating is important in that process.

Are you saying this clown can't get his insider info straight? Thanks for clearing this up for us.

I guess he will never post that proof on how SE stole from Handl.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't hold your breath.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Don't hold your breath.

There is literally no reason to bring the bump fire stock into this thread. Obviously he must have searched your username and is trying to paint you out to be some dirt shooting bubba.

Madcap doesn't have a slide fire, so there is no reason to bring it up or ask him anything about it in the comments. That's me. I also don't hate SCARs, so take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

TL;DR

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

TL;DR

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A more reliable weapon has looser tolerances and clearances. That's what makes a well made AK so reliable, that and it's overgassed. Not the mass.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are you saying this clown can't get his insider info straight? Thanks for clearing this up for us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first 300 of these lowers produced had OEM parts fitment issues as well as function issues (verified by Klrb929 in previous threads).

http://4c5oy13toq2z4b6dz22n11bctyl.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/HD_PressRelease_2012.pdf

There is someone here requesting that you verify your status as Army SF. Just thought I would point that out to you as a favor.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know some that have. Are you suggesting we let personal opinions and experiences overrule empiracle testing? That's fine, but we might as well be throwing out Handl's data if that's the case.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There is someone here requesting that you verify your status as Army SF. Just thought I would point that out to you as a favor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Bump in case he misses it.

Funny how he's been asked multiple times to confirm or deny that but wont.  A simple "I never was I liked the name" would go a long ways.   Conversely, if he walked the walk IME any question would be met with a swift and fast conformation.

I wonder if there is a word for people that imply they are something...

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I know some that have. Are you suggesting we let personal opinions and experiences overrule empiracle testing? That's fine, but we might as well be throwing out Handl's data if that's the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a lot of words for a yes or no question.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread is turning into the new Shotgun thread.

I love it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
  A more reliable weapon has looser tolerances and clearances. That's what makes a well made AK so reliable, that and it's overgassed. Not the mass.
View Quote

Have you forgotten what an AK bolt carrier weighs? The extra mass certainly doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Have you forgotten what an AK bolt carrier weighs? The extra mass certainly doesn't hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

and it can still get hung up on it's own FCG.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's true, but when Kalashnikov was interviewed about his design. His pointers for it's reliability were the tolerances and clearances.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you received your answer in addition to diverting the subject, which I assume was the true intent. It would be much easier to discredit me than the US military testing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But you received your answer in addition to diverting the subject, which I assume was the true intent. It would be much easier to discredit me than the US military testing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M4 is analogous to AR. This is a thread about SCARs vs ARs. I don't see how that was a diversion of the subject.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I see that this thread has devolved into purse swinging.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#23]
The design of the SCAR BCG group would make a lot more sense if it followed the design of the Ultimax-100...

The SCAR might as well have been a full on long stroke piston, and might as well made it hollow and have the recoil spring and guide rod in it, and use constant recoil for a smooth operation.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

M4 is analogous to AR. This is a thread about SCARs vs ARs. I don't see how that was a diversion of the subject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The subject was "the effects of increased cyclic mass on weapon feeding reliability" in which I provided three examples where rifles with heavier bolt carrier groups outperformed the M4 in reliability. Asking me if I've ever personally experienced an issue with the M4 is irrelevant to that matter while avoiding the acknowledgment of the evidence set forth.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The design of the SCAR BCG group would make a lot more sense if it followed the design of the Ultimax-100...

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Machine%20Guns/ultimax_3.jpg

The SCAR might as well have been a full on long stroke piston, and might as well made it hollow and have the recoil spring and guide rod in it, and use constant recoil for a smooth operation.
View Quote

Holy shit. It seems like Stoner has become the most copied arms designer in history.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

"What does a SCAR do better...That makes it worth 3 or 4 times the price?"

I'm pretty sure that was OP's intent, no?  
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Ok, so now we are back to the SCAR being worth WAY more than a similar optioned AR, yet selling for the same price.  

This one here should be comparable

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So your saying threads mentioning AR vs SCAR brings out the purse swingers? Would that be the fault of the threads subject material, or the thin skinned personalities of SCAR owners?

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

The irony of airguns history of breaking scopes...

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So your saying threads mentioning AR vs SCAR brings out the purse swingers? Would that be the fault of the threads subject material, or the thin skinned personalities of SCAR owners?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not like I don't own an AR or 10 either.  It's just ludicrous to claim that a SCAR is 3-4x's the price of an AR that can do half what the SCAR can (including reliability and accuracy).
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

snip

It's not like I don't own an AR or 10 either.  It's just ludicrous to claim that a SCAR is 3-4x's the price of an AR that can do half what the SCAR can (including reliability and accuracy).
View Quote
So you're saying that the benefit of a $2500 SCAR over a $900 Walmart 6920 is that impressive?

That for over $1500 more, you get $1500 more reliability and accuracy?
Uh huh.
ETA- what does the SCAR do that the MPAR can't?   Or an AR-180B.  Or An adams arms AR...  or any other slew of rifles.
There's nothing special about SCAR's.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So you're saying that the benefit of a $2500 SCAR over a $900 Walmart 6920 is that impressive?

Uh huh.

ETA- what does the SCAR do that the MPAR can't?   Or an AR-180B.  Or An adams arms AR...  or any other slew of rifles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Uh huh.

I liked the lack of gas to the face, on the SCAR, when running suppressed. Just too bad that mine never ran reliably suppressed for many rounds.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I liked the lack of gas to the face, on the SCAR, when running suppressed. Just too bad that mine never ran reliably suppressed for many rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

LOL always a benefit.

Apperanlty these work really well.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
LOL always a benefit.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/blackfly53/001-3.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

LOL always a benefit.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/blackfly53/001-3.jpg

I've heard about those as well. I kind of prefer having a forward assist though, despite that it never really gets used.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hear gas pistons work better.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Uh huh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Uh huh.

I have never heard of an MPAR other than this thread.  

A Colt 6920, which I have, is just slightly less than 1/2 of what I paid for my SCAR 16 ($930 vs $2200, I do understand you can get the 6920 for around $800 now).  It does not have the quad rail is the first thing, it doesn't have a CHF free floating barrel, OR in my use, it's just not as accurate, the recoil is CONSIDERABLY more than my 16, and it runs WAY dirtier than my scar.  The 6920 IS an awesome buy/value.

So it's not as accurate, it runs way dirtier, and it has way more recoil.  

It also doesn't have an ambidextrous mag release or bolt release, no adjustable gas system, no comb on the stock, and no folding stock for throwing in the back pack. They also weigh about the same EXCEPT the SCAR is WAY better balanced.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

A Colt 6920, which I have, is just slightly less than 1/2 of what I paid for my SCAR 16 ($930 vs $2200, I do understand you can get the 6920 for around $800 now).  It does not have the quad rail is the first thing, it doesn't have a CHF free floating barrel, OR in my use, it's just not as accurate, the recoil is CONSIDERABLY more than my 16, and it runs WAY dirtier than my scar.  

It also doesn't have an ambidextrous mag release or bolt release, no adjustable gas system, and no folding stock for throwing in the back pack. They also weigh about the same EXCEPT the SCAR is WAY better balanced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

A Colt 6920, which I have, is just slightly less than 1/2 of what I paid for my SCAR 16 ($930 vs $2200, I do understand you can get the 6920 for around $800 now).  It does not have the quad rail is the first thing, it doesn't have a CHF free floating barrel, OR in my use, it's just not as accurate, the recoil is CONSIDERABLY more than my 16, and it runs WAY dirtier than my scar.  

It also doesn't have an ambidextrous mag release or bolt release, no adjustable gas system, and no folding stock for throwing in the back pack. They also weigh about the same EXCEPT the SCAR is WAY better balanced.
Well, what kinds of groups do you shoot with your SCAR, and are you left handed?  The dirty part is kind of funny.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well, what kinds of groups do you shoot with your SCAR, and are you left handed?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Well, what kinds of groups do you shoot with your SCAR, and are you left handed?

I shoot both left and right.  Groups are rated as more accurate vs less accurate.

ETA to add:

Why is the dirty part funny?  
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I shoot both left and right.  Groups are rated as more accurate vs less accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Typically they are rated in some form of comparable metric such as the group size at 100 yards.

I mean, "more vs less" accurate doesn't mean much.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE out of context quote.

Lets not forget the part you cut out.

"Quoted:

I
liked the lack of gas to the face, on the SCAR, when running
suppressed. Just too bad that mine never ran reliably suppressed for
many rounds.
"

That was pretty weak sauce Kalmar.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Typically they are rated in some form of comparable metric such as the group size at 100 yards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

How does more vs less not mean much?  I don't care to measure and record my groups. It's fucking paper on free time.  Well at that rate, I guess all of the items listed don't mean anything either.

So if that is what you were going for, good for you.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
How does more vs less not mean much?  I don't care to measure and record my groups. It's fucking paper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

How does more vs less not mean much?  I don't care to measure and record my groups. It's fucking paper.
So you don't have any way to constantly and consistently gauge your skills and wether they are advancing or declining over time?

If it's "fucking paper" why would accuracy or reliability matter to you then?  Does your $2500 rifle punch different holes in paper?  

It sounds like the SCAR is more of a status symbol to you then.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

No different than ignoring valid points while attempting to continually shift the goal posts.

I'd be interested to hear more about Zerlak's troubles, so far my suppressed SCAR's have been 100% along with the vast majority of other users I've interacted with. Again I ask, are we letting the experiences of a single person dictate our entire assessment of the weapons being discussed here?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No different than ignoring valid points while attempting to continually shift the goal posts.

I'd be interested to hear more about Zerlak's troubles, so far my suppressed SCAR's have been 100% along with the vast majority of other users I've interacted with. Again I ask, are we letting the experiences of a single person dictate our entire assessment of the weapons being discussed here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROFL.

No, I was pointing out the hilarity of that specific post of yours.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So you don't have any way to constantly and consistently gauge your skills and wether they are advancing or declining over time?

If it's "fucking paper" why would accuracy or reliability matter to you then?  Does your $2500 rifle punch different holes in paper?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Didn't you literally just complain about a poster selectively quoting you?  
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually made a post in here earlier concerning the details. I may have just had a lemon rifle, it is possible. My problem was after 350-400 rounds of PMC 55 grain .223, it would start having cycling issues and not lock back on last round and have issues feeding. This happened with 4 different mags and with Federal/American Eagle .223.

The suppressor attached was a Surefire FA556-212. After the malfunctions, I would rake the piston out and scrape all the build up off of it and it would then work fine until the 350-400 round count.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Apparently you missed the irony of yours.

Quoted:

I actually made a post in here earlier concerning the details. I may have just had a lemon rifle, it is possible.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Did you ever contact FN about the problems you were having?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Didn't you literally just complain about a poster selecting quoting you?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

I was pointing out how funny it was, yes.  Though in this case, I annotated that I was cutting down the length of conversation.
So, back to you though, you talk about how the SCAR is a lot better, but not enough to measure accuracy over time.

I know a lot of people say that the SCAR has great "practical accuracy" so how about in action shooting.  Do you do that with your SCAR at all? Any two or three gun matches?  

Have any video of you shooting showing how much faster you can run a SCAR than your AR?

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was pointing out how funny it was, yes.  Though in this case, I annotated that I was cutting down the length of conversation.

So, back to you though, you talk about how the SCAR is a lot better, but not enough to measure accuracy over time.

I know a lot of people say that the SCAR has great "practical accuracy" so how about in action shooting.  Do you do that with your SCAR at all? Any two or three gun matches?  

Have any video of you shooting showing how much faster you can run a SCAR than your AR?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Holy shit you are dense.

"WHAT DOES A SCAR DO BETTER....That makes it worth 3 or 4 times the price?"  Why are you unable to accept the simple fact that the SCAR IS worth 3-4x's any AR that is indeed 3-4x's less?

What do you want me to do, strap my gopro to the SCAR?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Holy shit. It seems like Stoner has become the most copied arms designer in history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Machine%20Guns/ultimax_3.jpg

L. James Sullivan led the Ultimax 100 design team.  He worked on the Stoner 63 and the AR-15 / M-16 with Stoner (and the Mini-14).

Nowadays he hates on the M-16.

Firearms designers, especially modern ones, copy from anything they think will work.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top