User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ATC:
Craftsman made one of the best hoses available for the longest time.  Thick rubber, brass fittings, lifetime warranty, and never kinked.  I have their 125' hose on the front of my house (100' + 25' attached).   

I don't know the state of their hoses due to the Sears/Craftsman thing these days though...
View Quote

My parents have one that's been used for nearly 30 years and looks like it will last another 30.  And it's been out in the sun the entire time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#3]
yup dissimilar metals problem total bullshit design.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Last one I fought with, had to cut through the threads on two sides and peel off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Last one I fought with, had to cut through the threads on two sides and peel off.
View Quote

This. I replaced mine with one of those pocket hoses with the brass and one with the plastic fittings. Those hoses are awesome except for leaving something out that needs the full length of hose (because they retract quite a bit with the water off).
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’ve tried everything. MAP gas torch, CLR, WD40. Nope. This hose isn’t coming off the spigot. Same for the brass valve on the other end.

Apparently the aluminum hose ends essentially chemically weld themselves to whatever they are attached to. Never use a hose with aluminum.
View Quote

Galvanic corrosion.
Dealt with that in Ford exploders and wheel bearings.
Steel bearing.
Aluminum knuckle.
Press fit bearing.
Brilliant!

I have had bearings so seized up from Galvanic corrosion, a 50 ton press went into the red before the race blew out and snapped the aluminum sending bearings throughout the shop like a claymore went off.

Here's what I would do.
Acquire oxygen acetylene torch. Get the fitting good and hot.
Then take water and toss it onto the fitting. To shock it.
Channel locks and twist.
I've done that a time or few to adjust tie rods and drag links on Super duties. It works 50% of the time. Sometimes it works. Sometimes the rust build up inside the sleeve is so severe the threads get destroyed beyond salvaging. But usually heat and cold shock the metal.

When I would do exhaust manifolds on 4.6 5.4 6.8s? I'd bring the vehicle in cold.
Rip the front wheels and fender wells out. Let the vehicle idle. Not quite get up to operating temperature. But warmed and start pulling manifold nuts. The aluminum heads and the chintzy steel studs and nuts would come to an equal temperature and the rust build up on the nut/stud would cause the stud to come with the nut 9 times out of 10.

Unless V10.
V10s were cunts. They'd always come in with snapped studs. Then you're welding nuts to the studs praying the bastards come free. Otherwise, drill guide and you're drilling and tapping.

Anyways. Next time. Apply a tiny bit of antiseize to threads... that will prevent that shit from ever happening.

If you're a Ford tech in the north east? You can tell I had my hands on something.
Anything subjected to road salt, anything where steel mates with aluminum?
Generous coating of antiseize.
Especially 19.5 alcoas and hubs on F450s-F550s and 22.5s on 650s and 750s.
Same with 650 and 750 king pins.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Take it off with a vice grip cut the now unusable fitting off the hose put a new fitting on I guess...
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine comes off every six months so, no issues yet.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought some really nice looking hoses 2 years ago. Turns out the nice looking aluminum fittings weren't really so nice. Didnt realize till after I had been using them the aluminum/brass galvanic corrosion issue.  I remove them after I use. The one that I keep hooked up attaches to a plastic fertilizer dispenser,  then the plastic piece to the brass. They really should be outlawed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#10]
If you like the hose,  just replace the end connection.   Don't buy a whole new hose.

And cut the fitting off...you don't even have to cut a lot.   Just get into the aluminum enough to pry at it to stretch the fitting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Craftsman made one of the best hoses available for the longest time.  Thick rubber, brass fittings, lifetime warranty, and never kinked.  I have their 125' hose on the front of my house (100' + 25' attached).   

I don't know the state of their hoses due to the Sears/Craftsman thing these days though...
View Quote

I agree, I have several of them, many are several years old and are as good as the day I bought them. Can't say that about an average vinyl hose after 6 months.

Seems ACE sells them now? https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/watering-and-irrigation/garden-hoses/7307689

No idea if the quality has changed, it's been a couple years since I bought one, since they closed the physical sears nearby at least.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MrZeat:

I agree, I have several of them, many are several years old and are as good as the day I bought them. Can't say that about an average vinyl hose after 6 months. 

Seems ACE sells them now? https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/watering-and-irrigation/garden-hoses/7307689

No idea if the quality has changed, it's been a couple years since I bought one, since they closed the physical sears nearby at least.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I agree, I have several of them, many are several years old and are as good as the day I bought them. Can't say that about an average vinyl hose after 6 months. 

Seems ACE sells them now? https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/watering-and-irrigation/garden-hoses/7307689

No idea if the quality has changed, it's been a couple years since I bought one, since they closed the physical sears nearby at least.

^^^^ What they said.  The Craftsman hoses I bought 5 or 6 years ago are still going strong.  One gets left out year-round as it is hooked into our drip line setup for our trees.  It's looking a little rough, but I bet it'll last for a couple more years.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BuickDan:
Use a dremel with cut off wheel to make a couple shallow cuts into the aluminum nut and pull it apart. Just don’t go deep enough that you cut you hose Bibb threads
View Quote

^ This. Done it several times. Touching the brass threads with the Dremel tool is not too big a deal---just leave the face of the faucet smooth. That's where it seals against the washer in the hose end.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Thanks!  Price is reasonable as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
the mapp torch should get hot enough to burn the aluminum off

just run a little water through the spigot to keep the seals cooled

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]
You need a FireStickTM
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]

I brought this to arfcom's attention some time back.  many folks went outside to check theirs and sure enough...

bunch of bullshit
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TargetTime:
China
View Quote

Wrong!
Blame California.
Brass has some lead in it, so California banned it from hoses in case you drink the water from the hose.

California Notice on Brass

Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, was initiated in California. Under this act, a list of chemicals that are known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm is published annually. This list contains more than 700 chemicals that can be found in consumer and industrial products or services, in addition to chemicals that are released into the environment.

As part of this California law, businesses are required to provide warnings for products that may contain any listed chemical. As such, the following warning will be included on specific product web pages and included with all orders shipped to the state of California:

WARNING: These products may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Products most likely to require Proposition 65 warnings include brass items, finishing products, items made of PVC. The state of California's advice regarding safe handling of most of these products is to wash your hands after handling.

For more information about Proposition 65, please refer to the following website: http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]
And anytime you screw any plumbing fittings together, use a generous coat of plumber's grease on the threads. I know it's too late for that now, but it will save you many hours of cussing and sweating in the future!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Similar to the process for producing electricity in batteries, the dissimilar metals will have different electrode potentials and so, when in contact, one metal will behave as an anode and the other as a cathode. The potential difference between the metals is the driving force behind the corrosive reaction.

The anodic metal will preferentially corrode at a rate determined by the magnitude of the potential difference between the metals and the surface areas of each metal.

Anodic Index
Brasses and Bronzes0.40
Aluminum wrought alloys of the 2xxx Series0.75
Zinc, wrought; zinc-base die-casting alloys; zinc plated1.25
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TescoVee:
Sodium hydroxide will dissolve it without eating the brass spigot.  Don't get any on your skin btw.
View Quote

This. Just be careful. It will turn the aluminum into a black powder.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a pipe wrench and man up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Just replace all the end fittings with plastic ones, problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Zephri:
Just replace all the end fittings with plastic ones, problem solved.
View Quote

I’d have to get it off the spigot first.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By spidey07:

I’d have to get it off the spigot first.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zephri:
Just replace all the end fittings with plastic ones, problem solved.

I’d have to get it off the spigot first.

I use a dremel and cut perpendicular to the threads on opposite sides (be careful to not cut too deep) and use slip-joint pliers to remove one half or a screwdriver to jam into the cut you made and twist to help remove the two fitting halves.

I stopped using metal fittings on all my hoses. It has solved all the problems with seized fittings, of course it's good practice to just remove any attached hoses from the spigot when not in use but that tends to get overlooked sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Use a dremel with cut off wheel to make a couple shallow cuts into the aluminum nut and pull it apart. Just don’t go deep enough that you cut you hose Bibb threads
View Quote

This.

I cut one off and not getting into the threads is like playing thst kids game "operation".
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#29]
My son just bought a new garden hose for me with aluminum fittings which I installed this morning, and then I found this thread...

OP thanks for posting this thread, you saved me from going through your pain in a year or so.

I just ordered these brass fittings from Amazon to install on the aluminum fittings on my hose.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys are amateurs.  

Get this hose.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Have you tried turning off and back on?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Posted earlier, but I run these two hoses and am happy with them so far,

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Continental-Premium-5-8-in-Dia-x-50-ft-Commercial-Grade-Rubber-Black-Water-Hose-20258074/100676339?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-27795-483420-&clickid=28zx1s33QxyOWpHwUx0Mo3cmUkiz6zRHXRQbxI0

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goodyear-3-4-in-Dia-x-75-ft-Goodyear-MAXLite-High-Visibility-Premium-Rubber-Hose-CGYSGYT34075/303268198

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Have the same problem with my lawn tractor sprinkler.  I put teflon tape on the male end this year, should keep it from getting stuck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

This is my go-to for super-mega-stuck things
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Idk we’ve used them for years with no issues
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By bushmaster1:
Idk we’ve used them for years with no issues
View Quote

Did you leave the aluminum fittings mated for an entire season or a year or more?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Using Teflon tape help prevent this, or a little Vaseline on the threads.

I had one on my campsite hose bib and it was a bitch to get off.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Use silicone grease on both male and female ends before you put that shit together.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By chango78:
Get a pipe wrench and man up. 
View Quote

I actually have a half life sized pipe wrench. 2 feet. If I used that I’d rip the spigot copper pipe welds in the house. I’ve been using two sets of channel locks, nothing but slip.

I’ll try heat/mapgas one more time before dremeling it. I need that spigot for pool maintenance. I may be a pussy and just call plumber to replace spigot with a quality one.

Also fuck needle valves.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JBT:

Wrong!
Blame California.
Brass has some lead in it, so California banned it from hoses in case you drink the water from the hose.

California Notice on Brass

Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, was initiated in California. Under this act, a list of chemicals that are known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm is published annually. This list contains more than 700 chemicals that can be found in consumer and industrial products or services, in addition to chemicals that are released into the environment.

As part of this California law, businesses are required to provide warnings for products that may contain any listed chemical. As such, the following warning will be included on specific product web pages and included with all orders shipped to the state of California:

WARNING: These products may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Products most likely to require Proposition 65 warnings include brass items, finishing products, items made of PVC. The state of California's advice regarding safe handling of most of these products is to wash your hands after handling.

For more information about Proposition 65, please refer to the following website: http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JBT:
Originally Posted By TargetTime:
China

Wrong!
Blame California.
Brass has some lead in it, so California banned it from hoses in case you drink the water from the hose.

California Notice on Brass

Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, was initiated in California. Under this act, a list of chemicals that are known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm is published annually. This list contains more than 700 chemicals that can be found in consumer and industrial products or services, in addition to chemicals that are released into the environment.

As part of this California law, businesses are required to provide warnings for products that may contain any listed chemical. As such, the following warning will be included on specific product web pages and included with all orders shipped to the state of California:

WARNING: These products may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Products most likely to require Proposition 65 warnings include brass items, finishing products, items made of PVC. The state of California's advice regarding safe handling of most of these products is to wash your hands after handling.

For more information about Proposition 65, please refer to the following website: http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html

If only lead free brass was a thing... oh like every potable water brass faucet and shower fitting ever.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#41]

I actually have a half life sized pipe wrench. 2 feet. If I used that I’d rip the spigot copper pipe welds in the house. I’ve been using two sets of channel locks, nothing but slip. 

I’ll try heat/mapgas one more time before dremeling it. I need that spigot for pool maintenance. I may be a pussy and just call plumber to replace spigot with a quality one. 

Also fuck needle valves.
View All Quotes

I actually have a half life sized pipe wrench. 2 feet. If I used that I’d rip the spigot copper pipe welds in the house. I’ve been using two sets of channel locks, nothing but slip. 

I’ll try heat/mapgas one more time before dremeling it. I need that spigot for pool maintenance. I may be a pussy and just call plumber to replace spigot with a quality one. 

Also fuck needle valves.

Unless you have a soldered one, most sillcocks/spigots just screw in. Just shut off water, remove the two screws or nails in the face, then untwist, not really plumber worthy if you can get to where it screws in.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Soak overnight in vinegar.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Unless you have a soldered one, most sillcocks/spigots just screw in. Just shut off water, remove the two screws or nails in the face, then untwist, not really plumber worthy if you can get to where it screws in.
View All Quotes

Also fuck needle valves.

Unless you have a soldered one, most sillcocks/spigots just screw in. Just shut off water, remove the two screws or nails in the face, then untwist, not really plumber worthy if you can get to where it screws in.

Just checked as I have open access to copper pipe supplying it. Hard soldered at brick line from what I can tell. If I torque on it hard I’m going to bust the solder. The spigot needs replaced so I’m likely going to go plumber.

Oh, and fuck needle valves.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By wolfjflywheel:

That Bitch Carole Fucking Baskin that's who
View Quote

That B*tch Carole by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Motherfuck I got it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Same thing here, I cut that damn thing off, fuck China.
Why the hell are we buying their products?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Well shit I just stumbled on this thread.

Tomorrow I will go out and see if I can get the nice hose I bought from Lowes last summer that HAS those aluminum fittings and see if it comes off.
I own good pipe wrenches but no Dremel.
With luck I won't need anything but channel locks.
At worst I will just cut the damn hose and take the faucet off the pipe and replace it and get one of those copper adapters for the hose and that will be that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TescoVee:
Sodium hydroxide will dissolve it without eating the brass spigot.  Don't get any on your skin btw.
View Quote

A little mercury will do almost the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Well I guess if a person put some anti-seize on the threads before installing it on the outdoor faucet that should negate all of this misery.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#50]
They'll like corrode bond to copper or brass. Galvanic corrosion.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top