Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2022 3:11:44 AM EDT
I thought I would make this thread to be a guide to help people save money with this crazy inflation. I've been more adventurous in trying more and more store brand products. Some of them I've found to be just as good, some probably aren't but they are at least acceptable, a few have been better than name brand, and a few are absolute hard pass and name brand is required.

I've found no difference in store brand vs name for basic staples like milk, eggs, butter, flour etc. Store brand bacon is acceptable to me. Canned vegetables like corn, green beans, peas, etc. seem to be the same as name brand in taste and quality

For me, a couple basic condiments like ketchup and mayo have to be name brand. Most store brand mayos I've tried have been absolutely disgusting. However, I really like great value store brand buffalo sauce. I prefer it over Frank's.

There's a lot more I could go into, but for now I guess I'll start with that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I buy any generic.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Basic meds (cold, headache, first aid stuff) it's all made in the same FDA regulated factory as the name brand stuff. Why pay more?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Kirkland from Costco and have had good luck with a lot of private selections from kroger.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Everything I buy locally is store brand. Great Value and Equate.

ETA: I guess I choose Jolly Time pc seeds over Great Value, Jolly Time is better and within a cent or two.

If it's for stuff other than food and personal care or stuff I can get online then it's whatever is the best deal. Brand name means nothing.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Dang most food stuff we buy is store brand unless there is a specific need unfulfilled by it.  We ain't boujee
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Omeprazole, paper/styrofoam plates, plastic spoons and forks, shit paper (only great value brand), canned vegetables.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#8]
We probably buy more generic than brand name.

Tropicana Pure Premium is one of the few things I won't compromise on.  But I don't drink it regularly.

Off the top of my head, can't think of anything from Kroger, Great Value or Members Mark that was a clunker.  From PB to TP/PT to American cheese, all gtg.

We do also use Costco, and Kirkland is good shit.  But it's still expensive, in absolute terms.  Costco let's you get a Cadillac at absolute rock-bottom pricing.  But it's still a Cadillac.  Sam's let's you get a Chevy at absolute rock-bottom pricing.  I'm a Chevy guy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m on GD, therefore, I’m wealthy and would never stoop to buying “store brand” items!

Fresh Market and Whole Foods only…

Publix, CVS and WM brands are fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't understand why I have five kids, the store brand condoms are just as good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I do most of my shopping at Aldis so its all generics/knock offs.  Mostly good so far.  I go to Walmart here and there when I need something you can't get at Aldis.  I've been happy with it for several years now.  YMMW.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm from Michigan too. I buy most of my groceries from Meijer's. I have had really good luck with their store brand items. Sometimes, I will buy the store brand even if the national brand is on sale and about the same price. The only thing I bought that disappointed me was their version of Doritos. Not quite the same thing. But, everything else I tried was excellent.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Great Value dry pasta. The only Walmart branded food item I will eat.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Equate over the counter drugs
Great value cheese and potato chips
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Depends very much on the store.

I buy Costco and Lidl store brand with confidence, always have. I actually prefer Lidl brand over most branded offerings, to the point we've joked we can't move to where Lidl doesn't have a store.

I tend to limit most others to things like over the counter meds.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Costco/Kirkland
Publix Greenwise
OTC meds
Ford
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great Value dry pasta. The only Walmart branded food item I will eat.
View Quote

For a minute I thought you were thorazine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Kroger, Walmart (as long as I don't get shot by the manager*), Walgreens, all GTG from the ones I have tried.

*Okay sorry, that was in horribly bad taste.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#19]
A lot of generic brands are just rebranded popular items.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Wal-Mart Great Value and Equate for all things.  I try very hard to just buy those, even motor oil.  They are made by the big names, just re-branded and much cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Lemme ask my wife

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Shop at Aldi, big cost savings on most items (not all) over other grocery stores.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#24]
PSA
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
PSA
View Quote

Should have been first post.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't buy store brands at the supermarkets, they are deficient in quality in some way. I bought some peaches, and they all have bits and pieces in them, not worth the lower price of a few pennies. And the potato chips have more broken pieces in them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#27]
buy lots of generic, but the one thing i dont skimp on is trash bags, cant stand a weak ass trash bag.  Glad force flex PLUS!  you could stuff a body in one of those and drag it behind your truck and it wont rip.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I do most of my shopping at Aldis so its all generics/knock offs.  Mostly good so far.  I go to Walmart here and there when I need something you can't get at Aldis.  I've been happy with it for several years now.  YMMW.
View Quote

Heavy Aldi shopper here. That said, I needed a new can opener and found an American made one online. 18 bucks and it just glides through the can. ????

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075X45LCC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Brand loyalty ended for me when every fucking company in the world became woke political hate mongers.  I buy almost everything store brand.

The only thing I can really think of that I still buy branded is Pop Tarts.   The generic ones really are not as good.  But, fuck Kellogg's.   My wife still eats them, but I just gave them up because fuck Kellogg's.  Seriously.  Fuck them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I buy almost everything store brand.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Kroger food.

Rural King Jeans.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Kroger food.

Rural King Jeans.
View Quote
I've bought three pair of those damn $9.99 jeans and everyone of them the ass ripped out with in 6-8 weeks. I've got Levi's that are 10-12 years old and thread bare ( I refuse to buy anymore Levi's) and new Wranglers and have never had the seat rip out of any other jeans.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#34]
My wife does most of the regular household shopping.

She knows what brands you can buy the generic and what things you need to premium.  
I like it, she is all about saving us money.  She says the more we save, the more ammo and other shit you normally buy, you can afford.

I can tell the difference as when we go and she does all the picking out, we get a whole cart full off stuff; If I go by myself, we get maybe a half dozen items for the same money.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Sam's Club Members Mark TP is actually better (IMO) that the premium commercial brands.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#36]
For granola bars, I buy the better brands, if you read the ingredient lists some of them are different, they probably use lesser quality ingredients to get the price down.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#37]
We buy some store brand stuff.. ibuprofen etc…

But one thing I found to save a few bucks is buying all the plastic bags ( sandwich bags. Freezer bags etc…) at the Dollar store.

They are name brand ( Glad, ziplock ) but WAY cheaper than the grocery store.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't buy store brands at the supermarkets, they are deficient in quality in some way. I bought some peaches, and they all have bits and pieces in them, not worth the lower price of a few pennies. And the potato chips have more broken pieces in them.
View Quote
This is true for some but I just accept that for the savings. there are some store brand items that are superior.
For example Great Value canned tuna is better than any of the popular name brands. It's like a chunky cross section cut of a fish, the name brands are like fish pulp....or at least they were 5-10 years ago when I gave up on them. I much prefer the Great Value frozen vegetables to name brand.

When I lived in TX, the HEB brand frozen chicken breast were wayyy better than name brand, most of that shit was garbage.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

same, Aldi is our primary grocery store.

Would be easier to list the things that we go out of our way to buy brand name.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I can't understand why I have five kids, the store brand condoms are just as good.
View Quote

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Screw Kroger and their corporate anti-gun stance.  I'm not sure where Costco stands.  May have to look into them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Poors thread.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sam's Club Members Mark TP is actually better (IMO) that the premium commercial brands.
View Quote

It's soft, but I find it unacceptably fragile. You just can't seem to get a good wipe in. And, it's thick the actual roll hardly has any length to it.

Costco for the win (but they were putting out seriously substandard stuff for a year or more after the great TP shortage of 2020.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#44]
As much as possible.  Poors buy name brand so they don't feel poor.  Smart people save money.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Kirkland from Costco and have had good luck with a lot of private selections from kroger.
View Quote

The Kroger stuff is very high quality for most items.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I agree regarding many store brand mayos.
I'm agnostic about my ketchup & mustard.

The only hard & fast brand insistence I have are tomatoes certified San Marzano D.O.P. when making pasta & pizza sauces.  Tomatoes for soups & stews can be anything.

I guess we all know (it may have already been said) that the store brands are really relabeled national brands where you don't pay for the advertising.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Most of my stuff if possible the only real exception is my martini olives, store brand won't cut it for me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Instant coffee, and pretty much everything I get at Trader Joe's is technically the store brand.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#50]
The Walmart ziplock bags are actually really good.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top