Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2013 7:55:35 AM EDT
Are grenade launchers like the M203 really that much better?

German signal pistol adapted to shoot grenades

The Bullet-Thru™ rifle grenade

Fabrique Nationale of Belgium, as in FN of rifle fame, makes a really unique rifle grenade called the Bullet-Thru™. With a telescoping tail, it is pulled out to make the grenade safe, not only separating the firing pin from the detonator but also separating the HE charge from the fragmentation sleeve. When fired, the bullet passes through a polycarbonate plug while retaining enough gases to launch the grenade, and as it is fired, a spring retracts the body and tail back together, arming the weapon. Range from a 7.62x51mm weapon is 400 yards.

Polyvalent Grenade

Another extremely clever rifle grenade that combines features wanted since Guadalcanal is the Polyvalent Grenade developed and manufactured by Losfeld of France. The Polyvant combines three weapons into one. It can be used as an offensive hand grenade (blast), a defensive hand grenade (fragmentation), or as an anti-personnel rifle grenade. The pieces include the explosive body, a fragmentation sleeve, and a tail assembly. The nose-mounted fuze has three settings; impact, 5-second fuze, or both.

Three different tail assemblies are made to tailor the Polyvalent Grenade to the particular weapon issued. The F1 tail is intended for use with conventional grenade launching blank cartridges. The F556 is a bullet-trap style for use with 5.56mm (.223) rifles and the heavier, stouter F762 model for 7.62x51mm (.308) rifles.

It was used by France and several other countries until the last 10 years or so. The listed data is for a Polyvalent fitted with the F762 tail assembly.

Polyvalent

Length: 14.17in (360mm)
Weight: 1.14 pounds
Muzzle velocity: 310 fps
Range: 225 meters
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
things like the M-79 and M-203 probably made them obsolete.  I don't know what all is involved to change from firing a cartridge to a rifle grenade but I imagine its more of a hassle than slinging your rifle and picking up the M79  or reaching under the barrel of your rifle for the M203
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Those fuckers were everywhere in Bosnia when I was there (2003-2004)... seriously, throw a rock and you'd probably hit somebody that would try to sell you some.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#3]
High recoil and the bulky-ness made them less useful.

Why carry 2 rifle grenades when you can carry 6 or 8 40mm shells?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably easier to carry more M203 rounds than several bulkier rifle grenades.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 I don't know what all is involved to change from firing a cartridge to a rifle grenade but I imagine its more of a hassle than slinging your rifle and picking up the M79  or reaching under the barrel of your rifle for the M203
View Quote

Bullet through grenade like I posted above solved that problem.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
High recoil and the bulky-ness made them less useful.

Why carry 2 rifle grenades when you can carry 6 or 8 40mm shells?
View Quote

There were some pretty compact RGs like I posted above. Recoil is due to backpressue. 40mm are low pressure munitions.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Some of those grenades look considerably bigger than the 40mm, but they probably also have a terrific kill radius.  Do you think it is simply overkill to fire grenades that large for what is typically a close quarters weapon?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Increased recoil vs. useful payload.  Not worth it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Todays infantrymen are already too heavy. Those things are huge, hence the photo with the guy carrying a pack of the grenades. Todays Marine rifle squad, has 3 team leaders/ 203 gunners. They each have 6 rounds. 4 HE, 1 lume, 1 smoke (that was the SOP for me, I granted myself 1 willy peet ). My last deployment, our loadout had gotten so cumbersome that everyone, including the squad leader was carrying something extra. Not 1 extra thing, but an assault pack full of stuff or a dedicated pack for a piece of equipment.

Plus try shooting that pistol piece 250 yds!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some of those grenades look considerably bigger than the 40mm, but they probably also have a terrific kill radius.  Do you think it is simply overkill to fire grenades that large for what is typically a close quarters weapon?
View Quote

The bigger ones are anti tank grenades..
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Plus try shooting that pistol piece 250 yds!
View Quote

You gotta admit, its cool, I bet the thing worked great for MOUT.

I could even through the potato masher warhead.

Apparently they worked really and the germans tried to produce them as fast as they could but the idea came too late in the war.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
They seem much larger that a 40mm grenade but how much of that is explosives? They look big and heavy with no easy way to carry them in volume. 40mm are small in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#14]

I can't even imagine how bad the recoil must have been if the "last-ditch" Germans put a recoil pad on it.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They seem much larger that a 40mm grenade but how much of that is explosives? They look big and heavy with no easy way to carry them in volume. 40mm are small in comparison.
View Quote

The big ones have shaped charges, I believe, requiring the larger size.

Aren't the 40mm smokeless, flakless rounds out of service?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably kicked like a mule, but with a good recoil pad and a bag of those grenades a soldier could wreak havoc

Quoted:

I can't even imagine how bad the recoil must have been if the "last-ditch" Germans put a recoil pad on it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
And the blank rounds used to fire them off.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming you're using a RG that requires them (some are shoot through or bullet trap types that don't require special cartridges or gas cutoffs), they are usually stored in the tail of the RG; I think two may actually be carried with some RGs just in case.  Some militaries alternatively issued magazines meant just for carrying the blanks, such as 10-round FAL magazines.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Correct me if I'm wrong or sort of on track .Its about as big(bigger, I guess?) as a 60mm mortar so about the same kill radius, etc.?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I've seen a bunch of videos of the French fighting in Afghanistan and they use (just googled it) a rifled grenade called a APAV40 ("Anti-Personnel/Anti-Véhicule, 40mm") with the FAMAS. Looks like it has a hell of  a lot of kick.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#21]
THEM !

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Recoil bordering on detaching your retina is a bad idea
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Part of it was the switch to 5.56. With 7.62 NATO the rifle granade concept worked better. I think that is why the US led the way with the M79 and M203.

Rifle granades had the advantage of anti-tank use. The large diameter has great potential as a HEAT warhead.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Too bad that the RAG - Ring Airfoil Grenade - didn't catch on.  Stable accurate flight and targeting in a we conceived design.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Back in the 70s (I was about 11) in the Cargo Muchacho mountain range I found five M11A1 rifle granades. They were in a line nearly, but a number of yards apart. They are the practice version of the M9A1 HEAT warhead. Up until about 1943 they would have been fired from a 1903, since they didn't have the Garand granade launcher  in service. In my late teens I foolishly threw them away.

Given the fact they appeared to be in almost a line, and there were five of them, I assume they were fired by one soldier using a 1903.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what a smokeless, flakless round is? Training "chalk" rounds?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Some countries still use them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://i43.tinypic.com/13yi8fp.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i43.tinypic.com/13yi8fp.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm remembering the name right.  It's a dedicated AT 40mm round.  Both it and a dedicated HE round were replaced by the DP one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Didn't the Israeli's design and make one recently that used the inertia from a 5.56 round to blast a door? I thought I saw it on extreme weapons or something like that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Blank/live ammo mixups are *spectacular* from what I understand.  A real crowd pleaser.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Rifle granades had the advantage of anti-tank use. The large diameter has great potential as a HEAT warhead.
View Quote

A warhead big enough to pop a cheap tank moving at a velocity that allows it to be some useful distance from the firer with some kind of decently useful trajectory.  An equal and opposite reaction in the form of a rifle butt.

Give it even more range than some little rifle cartridge can provide, and give it a clear path for backblast instead.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#33]
The M16 and M4 are compatible with NATO rifle grenades, right? I think they told us that in Infantry OSUT... I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The M16 and M4 are compatible with NATO rifle grenades, right? I think they told us that in Infantry OSUT... I could be wrong though.
View Quote

They use the NATO standard grenade spigot diametre.  I'm not sure if they can be used with grenade blanks.  While the AR-10 had a cutoff, I don't believe the AR-15 in any form ever did, and certainly the M-16 doesn't.  I've seen some odd RG designs for the M-16 that might look odd because of what has to be done to allow their usage with the M-16.  I'd imagine shoot-through and bullet trap RGs would work alright.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I've asked this question myself as there are some advantages with RGs:

*Every member of a squad or platoon can launch a grenade if need be. Increased and massed firepower.

*Easier logistics. You could spread load these in your platoon and everyone can use them too. If you wanted just your designated grenadiers to have them then redistribute them at your assault position or ORP.

*Once you shoot all your RGs you have nothing to carry; the M203 you are still lugging around the launcher and it becomes dead weight.

Disadvantages:

*Accuracy perhaps? IDK, never fired one or seen one fired.  You can (and should) zero an M203 as you would a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They use the NATO standard grenade spigot diametre.  I'm not sure if they can be used with grenade blanks.  While the AR-10 had a cutoff, I don't believe the AR-15 in any form ever did, and certainly the M-16 doesn't.  I've seen some odd RG designs for the M-16 that might look odd because of what has to be done to allow their usage with the M-16.  I'd imagine shoot-through and bullet trap RGs would work alright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose shoot through or trap RG's would work as well. 22mm (?) NATO spec flash hider and all.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#38]
does 5.56 have enough power to launch a rifle grenade far?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A warhead big enough to pop a cheap tank moving at a velocity that allows it to be some useful distance from the firer with some kind of decently useful trajectory.  An equal and opposite reaction in the form of a rifle butt.

Give it even more range than some little rifle cartridge can provide, and give it a clear path for backblast instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so this might be completely out of the outhouse but weren't the AT rifle grenades designed to be fired with the butt of the rifle in the ground and designed to explode on the thinner top armor?  I never thought they were intended to be a bazooka - more like a mortar with a shaped charge warhead.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so this might be completely out of the outhouse but weren't the AT rifle grenades designed to be fired with the butt of the rifle in the ground and designed to explode on the thinner top armor?  I never thought they were intended to be a bazooka - more like a mortar with a shaped charge warhead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno dude,  I fix printers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bazooka was actually developed to fire the M10 Rifle Grenade.  It was too heavy to fire from any standard infantry weapon - even the M2 .50BMG (an idea tried out of desperation).
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Heheh, I remember those.

Goddamned incredible terminal effect, thing was a trip to watch flying.....wonder if there's any youtube vids?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Too much stuff to do.
I like the soviet GP25/30.

Shove in round. fire.

Not even a shell to eject.

View Quote

Yeah, but I bet it's hard as hell to get an accurate shot off from inside of a dumpster.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Too much stuff to do.
I like the soviet GP25/30.

Shove in round. fire.

Not even a shell to eject.

View Quote

Small enough to toss under a MP5

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends, I believe using 7.62x51 or stronger the amount of back pressure is too much for you to shoulder, but not so in 5.56 nato. Also if you use the bullet through rifled grenades, you can use regular ball ammo instead of blanks.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a m11a3 practice that my grandapa brought back from WWII
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I dunno dude,  I fix printers.
View Quote

So do I, but i still lit off a bunch of 40mm HEDP last weekend

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Depends, I believe using 7.62x51 or stronger the amount of back pressure is too much for you to shoulder, but not so in 5.56 nato. Also if you use the bullet through rifled grenades, you can use regular ball ammo instead of blanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can shoulder it and it has a decent amount of recoil (7.62 NATO).  The original idea was to tuck the butt under your arm or place the butt on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#49]
As the M16 was designed from the start to fire rifle grenades without modification, I wonder why we don't develop a small light weight rifle grenade in a bullet-trap or bullet-through style that can be launched with standard service rounds.  Kinda like a rifle-launched mini-frag, something small and light enough that you can pass one or two out to everybody who doesn't have an M203.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Is that a British sticky bomb?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top