Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Gotta luv the mighty Herc!
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any one here ever hear the story of a Red Flag encounter where a Herc was bounced by OPFOR aircraft. The story I saw in print somewhere said the 130  aileron rolled back on the OPFOR bird's 6 called guns and the controller  gave them credit. Not sure if it's true but it's a great tale.

Holy shit we did the same thing in our P-3 to an S-3 Viking at Rimpack 05.....but we didnt get credit...infact we got a "talking to".
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No it was a training mission and they had bad SA and there speed decreased to the stall point they flat spun out of control from 13,000 ft until they recovered at about 150ft by pulling all those G's, busting the fuel tanks in one wing and buckling a shit ton of wing and fuselage surfaces and tearing off part of a flap and cracking about half of the wing spars.

Link Posted: 3/2/2010 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This incident is just begging for a new Polish joke...

"In Poland they tell Obama jokes"
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
THATS A FACT i KNOW 2 POLES AND THEY TELL OBAMA JOKES ALL THE TIME.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#6]
You break it, you buy it
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Tough birds.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I had just experienced My first "Assault Landing" at a dirt airstip () @ Ft. Bragg. As We taxied back to take-off, We were watching a sister Dyess Herky (74-2133) coming in to land when Our Acft Commander blurted-out "HOLY SHIT!!!".

They landed HARD on the left side Mains with the left wing tip just clearing the ground by about 3 feet!
A huge bounce & then He slammed it down for good & came to a stop.

We each did 4 more landing/take-offs & headed back to No Hope Pope.

As We got to looking @ 2133, fuel was seeping out of the leading edges & the armpit panels were cracked! The left aft tire had deflected to the point it left black marks on the airframe in the wheel wells!

That "landing" twisted the airframe to the point where every time We went to rig the center stantions for center line seats, We had to pound one of them into place with a J-bar.

A lesser   Acft than a Herky would have been an exploding ball of aluminum & fuel!

A tough Bird indeed, & one of the many reasons I will go to My grave as one of the all-time Fans of The Mighty Herk!!!

The (Proud) Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did that to one of our P-3's not to long ago..........however I think we pulled like 6 G's...Plane was able to limp back to base.

I took several photos of this converted tanker from my backyard.He made a number of passes at a wildfire a 1/2 mile from my house..this in '07,I think....he was dropping  fire retardant.

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]

out of

Talk about comin' in on a wing and a prayer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]

How'd the pilot fair? Did he manage to stay conscious?

7g, 9g, or even 12g.... it's really not how much you would pull, but for how long you would pull it.. my guess it's that even you could withstand 12g for 1/4 of a second, but no way you would handle 7 for 30secs !
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Many have tried to fly the Herk through a mountain, none have succeeded.

RIP my Marine Brothers, VMGR-352, Jan 02, 2002, CFIT

Captain Matthew W. Bancroft, 29
Shasta, CA.
Command Pilot: Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352 (VMGR-352),
the "Raiders"  Marine Corps Air Station, Miramar, Calif.

Captain Daniel G. McCollum, 29
Richland, SC.  
Co-Pilot: Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352 (VMGR-352),

Gunnery Sergeant Stephen L. Bryson, 35
Montgomery, AL.
Flight Engineer: Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352 (VMGR-352),

Staff Sergeant Scott N. Germosen, 37
Queens, NY.
Loadmaster: Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352 (VMGR-352),

Sergeant Nathan P. Hays, 21
Lincoln, WA.
Flight Mechanic: Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352 (VMGR-352),

Lance Corporal Bryan P. Bertrand, 23
Coos, OR.
Flight Navigator: Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352 (VMGR-352),

Sergeant Jeannette L. Winters, 25
Du Page, IL.  
Radio Operator: Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352 (VMGR-352),

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
RIP my Marine Brothers, VMGR-352, Jan 02, 2002, CFIT

Speaking of them, I was on the 15th MEU they were supporting.  I had my helmet painted in tribute to them and the HMH-361 crew we lost. I remember the crewchief Cohee being on the bird that flew me from Oman out to the ship.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top