Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rock Auto for car parts and Cheap Cycle Parts for motorcycles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Buy all your car parts online or from Amazon. WAY cheaper and better quality than from kraken or autozone.

-When camping store your stuff in the clear plastic containers with flanges and the rubber gasket. You can get them at target. Critters cannot get in them, you can see which container you need and packing up is real easy.

-When camping do as much prep work at home as possible. Then store them in Tupperware.

Partsouq for OEM Toyota

ETA I’d be worried about Chinese knockoffs from Amazon
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Put your wife’s cell number on your phone’s lock screen wall paper.

Mine says

For Emergency or Lost call 123-456-7890

I’ve only left my phone at a restaurant once but we didn’t make it to the car before the busboy called my wife.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
At home I piss sitting down. I like a clean house and don't like the idea of piss splashage on the bathroom tile floor.
View Quote

I do this too     My toilet is tucked between the wall and the vanity...so sitting down keeps the splatter off the wall and wood of the vanity (and the floor, and the toilet rim, and my shins...)

I'm tall with a short dick...pee has a long way to fall...
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Feeling guilty for letting your kids watch TV and not read more?  Put it on mute with the closed captioning on and bam they are reading now.
View Quote

My friends need to do this.  They have a 10-year-old who can't read.  

Home schooled all her life
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
When I'm on a long phone call and I want to end it but the other party doesn't get the hint I'll put my phone on airplane mode. That way on their end it says "call failed" instead of "call ended" so it looks like the call dropped rather than me hanging up.

If you need to bury a body dig the hole a little deeper than you need to and then put a large dog on top.

You can ferret out undercover cops posing as hookers by offering cash for nude photos. It's not illegal and a hooker probably won't have any problems with it while an undercover cop will decline.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I find pissing standing up is really convenient.
View Quote

You can pee in the sink while brushing your teeth in the morning to save a little time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you need to bury a body dig the hole a little deeper than you need to and then put a large dog on top.

You can ferret out undercover cops posing as hookers by offering cash for nude photos. It's not illegal and a hooker probably won't have any problems with it while an undercover cop will decline.
View Quote

I dont think I will ever need to use that one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a few...

Magnetic tool strips and the magnetic parts dishes are useful for a lot of things, especially if you have frequently used stuff that likes to roll off a bench or whatever.  I have some set up in a number of places like my reloading bench to hold various tools I use, as well as my gun cleaning bench and other locations.

I often wear a hat and carry a number of EDC items in my pockets each day.  At the end of the day, everything gets emptied into the hat and put on a small table.  Then next day, I can grab all my stuff from my hat, then quickly head out the door.

Another hack is label stuff, put it in kits and keep them in the same spot when not in use.  For example, chainsaw kit in shed has the saw, spare blade, spare plug, oil, basic tools, etc in the saw case as well as fuel can next to it.  Drill kit fits in a case that holds the drill, some bits, etc.  Stuff like that.

On my riding mower, I also disconnected the back up safety switch that kills the PTO.  I hate that feature.  I also added a couple of accessory lights to help me see better at night on the occasions when I mow late, as well as make me more visible if I'm mowing ditches by the road.  In addition to that, I also added some handles to the 54" mower deck to make it easier to maneuver on removal and install of deck when I do maintenance on the deck or blades.  Furthermore,  I installed a small brush/push guard on the front of the mower.  I then also put wheels on my picnic tables, shooting bench, etc on the property so I don't have to get off the mower and can just push those items out of the way with the brush guard.  

In addition to those items, I ran a piece of 550 cord to the flip up grass safety chute on the deck that keeps people from sticking there feet under the deck, then I routed the cord so I can attach a caribiner to it so all I have to do is pull the cord to raise the safety chute up if I need to mow between tight spots.  Plus when I store the mower, I can then clip the caribiner on the steering wheel, etc to raise the safety chute up out of the way and give me a little more room in the garage.
View Quote

Wheels on outdoor furniture and brush guard on the mower?  Genius!

I really need some land...
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I'm on a long phone call and I want to end it but the other party doesn't get the hint I'll put my phone on airplane mode. That way on their end it says "call failed" instead of "call ended" so it looks like the call dropped rather than me hanging up.

View Quote

My friends are worthless.  You taking applications?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends.

Do you like long phone conversations, own a large dog and are you a cop? You have to tell me if you are.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
whenever I put something, phone, tool whatever on the hood, roof or pick up bed, I always put my keys with it
this way I have no chance of driving off loosing all my crap on the road.
View Quote

When stealing a car I look for guys that put their phones and tools on the hood. They usually leave their keys up there too so they don't drive off forgetting them. As an added bonus I get a phone and a pair of pliers along with the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Military hack, but might apply in civilian life:

Leave a spare hat on your desk with a set of old keys in it. Make sure to include an old car key. When you dissappear for the day, people will assume that you are around somewhere since "your hat and keys are on your desk".
View Quote

Have done the same thing at work with a spare laptop and bag.

You leave that on your desk and the light on, people assume you live there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

some detergents are hell on aluminum, might want to be careful about what you're putting in there.
View Quote

Also...what about coating your dishwasher with lead? Heavy metals can be sticky
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whiskey makes everything better...

No but seriously idk why but I never knew this that the little arrow on your dash next to your gas gauge tells you which side your gas tank is on.  Really helps when I'm driving some of our work vehicles or someone elses car.
View Quote

Also tour tailpipe is always on the fill side on American cars
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Mine says

I’ve only left my phone at a restaurant once but we didn’t make it to the car before the busboy called my wife.

View Quote

I put my full name and email on my lock screen. I also have my phone number written inside my wallet. If I lose it and someone wants to return it I figure I should make it as easy as possible for them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh?

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wrap fuses in aluminum foil to extend the life of the fuse. I also fixed my breaker which kept tripping. Apparently they make a hole in the tab to allow you to clip the switch to the panel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117822/D75E37C7-24D6-40DA-914A-C80EFFE911B3-1466286.jpg
View Quote

That is freaking genius. Nothing to go wrong there
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I put my full name and email on my lock screen. I also have my phone number written inside my wallet. If I lose it and someone wants to return it I figure I should make it as easy as possible for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine says

Your phone might have “Medical ID” feature. Should show “EMERGENCY” as a functioning soft key. Once pressed, it’ll go to another screen which you should have already filled with some personal information and the name of the person to contact with number in an emergency.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Pour cream and/or sugar in the coffee cup before pouring in the coffee.  Saves having to stir.

Keep a cheap set of tools in the basement, garage, and the laundry room.

Buy light socket "Wyes".  You can dramatically improve lighting in a basement or a garage on the cheap with double or quadruple the bulbs.

Look up "Disposal Genie" and buy one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Training with left hand.

Then when right is injured you can still....

Do things.
View Quote

^THIS. I once had a conversation with a pathologist, and he told me he could tell is a man was left handed or right handed based on the direction his penis curved (this was during an autopsy).

If you jerk off with your right hand, your dick curves left, and the opposite is true for left handers. I was so horrified by this, I decided I would try to "even things out" by alternating!

I hope I end up baffling the guy who performs an autopsy on me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Subscribe to the Family Handyman magazine.  It's full of these types of hacks and has some really good plans for home improvement projects.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whiskey makes everything better...

No but seriously idk why but I never knew this that the little arrow on your dash next to your gas gauge tells you which side your gas tank is on.  Really helps when I'm driving some of our work vehicles or someone elses car.

Uh, no. My F-150 fills on the driver side and the tailpipe is passenger side.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pants unzipped, weenis protruding makes everything easier.
View Quote

It's nice out, I think I'll leave it out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont associate with commies.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Buy all your car parts online or from Amazon. WAY cheaper and better quality than from kraken or autozone.

-When camping store your stuff in the clear plastic containers with flanges and the rubber gasket. You can get them at target. Critters cannot get in them, you can see which container you need and packing up is real easy.

-When camping do as much prep work at home as possible. Then store them in Tupperware.

Don't by the cheapest version of a part.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Do not eat the dessicant in the beef jerky bag.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stupid thing my wife hates, but I hate messes more.
I throw the laundry detergent cup in with the wash every time.  It doesn't get all messed up with drips, etc.
Keeps the cabinet above the washer from having tacky detergent on it.

I wash almost all of my handguns in the dishwasher.  Gets em spotless.  Never had a rust issue.
View Quote

Yeah, pods.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Feeling guilty for letting your kids watch TV and not read more?  Put it on mute with the closed captioning on and bam they are reading now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I park near cart returns so it's convenient to return the cart. Not doesn't do much, makes running errands easier.
View Quote

Hellyeah.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yep, use the drying cycle.  Just oil them where they need it and cycle/function check.
Cerakoted doesn't matter.  That shit is like concrete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The detergent cup thing is genius. I'm gonna start doing that.

Do you use the drying cycle on the pistols? What do you do afterward, dunk them in oil or what? What if they're cerakoted?
Yep, use the drying cycle.  Just oil them where they need it and cycle/function check.
Cerakoted doesn't matter.  That shit is like concrete.

Well, there you made a mistake. Because I don't know much about graphite, but I know a lot about concrete.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#31]
piss and shit in the shower so you don't have to flush the toilet.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Pull out tomorrow's socks at night.   Don't have  to walk to the dresser for socks  and they even match!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Avoid sobriety.

Or maintain it, I can't remember.
View Quote

do both!

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Another one I just remembered. Save some dryer lint. It's great for fire starting while camping.

It's super flammable, especially if you're using fabric softener (added oils).
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pour cream and/or sugar in the coffee cup before pouring in the coffee.  Saves having to stir.

Keep a cheap set of tools in the basement, garage, and the laundry room.

Buy light socket "Wyes".  You can dramatically improve lighting in a basement or a garage on the cheap with double or quadruple the bulbs.

Look up "Disposal Genie" and buy one.
View Quote

Also, if a neighbor or friend needs to borrow a tool, grab from the cheap tool drawer. Learned that lesson the hard way a few times when lending out nicer tools and never getting them back.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:00:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Veteran Pro-Tip: If you eat on the can while crapping, you can attain 100% efficiency.

Edit: beat!
View Quote

Deli baskets

and basket liners or store brand waxed paper>paper plates/towels.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:13:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oh but that has it's own pitfall, namely that there is a chance you drop food on the floor in front of the toilet, which would mean potential extra effort.  There is a small chance it can fall safely into your underwear and you can walk around a slightly discomforted, but with one less task to do, however it's not worth the gamble.

Oh yeah, it's gotten to the point where I'll reflexively do it at my friend's houses that have dogs.
View Quote

Yeah, issue one isn't a problem. One of the dogs has appointed herself bathroom attendant, so I'm not allowed to shit unsupervised. The other one generally stands post in the hall. Dropped food would not require any cleanup. I don't even latch the door anymore, because then she bangs on the door like a SWAT team ram and it is not peaceful.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's a really stupid idea, and I shouldn't have to explain why...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wash almost all of my handguns in the dishwasher.  Gets em spotless.  Never had a rust issue.

That's a really stupid idea, and I shouldn't have to explain why...

No U.

Seriously, boiling water was the standard way to clean black powder weapons, blued and case hardened, since the dawn of the tech. It's not a push a button, forget, and get back whenever thing, though. You got to get it when the cycle finishes, dry quickly and oil. Most modern weapons are either SS or nitrided or some other treatment, so corrosion is much less of an issue, but you can wash even OS blued parts in a dishwasher with no corrosion issues if you don't fuck it up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Boiling water was also used until the advent ofnon-corrosive primers. No petroleum solvent will remove corrosive salts. You have to use something with water.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Peel 5 or 6 garbage bags off the roll and place them in the bottom of your kitchen garbage can before you line the can with a bag.
Instant access to a replacement when you take out the full garbage bag.
View Quote

Put a cup of bicarb in the can under the liner. keeps odor down if you put something like a meat tray in it, absorbs and destankificates in case of a leak. Put the spare bags over the sides.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:28:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I watch everything at 2x.. Anything under that seems painfully slow
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When viewing a youtube vid find the playback speed setting and set it to 1.25x (25% faster than normal). Watch the vid in shorter time while still catching 100% of the content.

I watch everything at 2x.. Anything under that seems painfully slow

Cirrously.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If your trash can is plastic, drill a large hole near the bottom so that air can escape.
View Quote

Fukin A. First thing I do every time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Another one I just remembered. Save some dryer lint. It's great for fire starting while camping.

It's super flammable, especially if you're using fabric softener (added oils).

View Quote

The belly button is a trustworthy source of a little emergency lint.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Drop the knife means DROP THE DAMN KNIFE.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
^THIS. I once had a conversation with a pathologist, and he told me he could tell is a man was left handed or right handed based on the direction his penis curved (this was during an autopsy).

If you jerk off with your right hand, your dick curves left, and the opposite is true for left handers. I was so horrified by this, I decided I would try to "even things out" by alternating!

I hope I end up baffling the guy who performs an autopsy on me.
View Quote

this man plays the long game.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
piss and shit in the shower so you don't have to flush the toilet.

View Quote

That's disgusting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No U.

Seriously, boiling water was the standard way to clean black powder weapons, blued and case hardened, since the dawn of the tech. It's not a push a button, forget, and get back whenever thing, though. You got to get it when the cycle finishes, dry quickly and oil. Most modern weapons are either SS or nitrided or some other treatment, so corrosion is much less of an issue, but you can wash even OS blued parts in a dishwasher with no corrosion issues if you don't fuck it up.
View Quote

You are putting oil, lead, and burned powder into your dishwasher, onto your dishes, and into your body.

A dishwasher doesn't get anywhere CLOSE to boiling, even with heat boost you are lucky to hit 180 degrees, not 212.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Kind of pissed about this talk of cleaning guns in the dishwasher because it's making me drop my shield of Gen X awesomeness and put on my blaze orange boomer hat.  

You should clean your guns the normal, conventional way.  That's what helps you detect things like hairline cracks in metal, springs that are shortened out of spec, primers and other pieces of metal lodged where they shouldn't be, etc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I keep about 100 feet of extension cord wound up in a 5 gallon bucket.  Leave about 3 feet of the male end hanging out of the bucket, then coil the remaining cord inside the bucket.  Drop the male end, inside.  When you need to use, plug in the male end, grab the female end and pull out however much you need.   When finished, coil everything back up.   It stays nice, neat, and tangle free.   And you only have to pull out to the length you need.   You also have a bucket to throw a few odd hand tools in.   Works great for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Also....brush your teeth in the shower.  I have one toothbrush and toothpaste on the vanity, and one in the shower.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top