Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/24/2023 10:34:50 AM EDT
Is the Tavor really reliable? Or is he full of it.

Is the Hellion that good? Or is he full of it.

The AUG is a mainstay.

What is the Best Bullpup? AUG vs. Tavor vs. Hellion
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is the Tavor really reliable? Or is he full of it.

Is the Hellion that good? Or is he full of it.

The AUG is a mainstay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxxYXhVcH-o
View Quote
I am an AUG guy....but if the Helion had a better LOP (it's not that bad....but it is jusssst bad enough) and a manually activated bolt hold open.....it would be a serious contender.  I like that gun....just not quite enough to buy one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
All three are great platforms and battle proven.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have the hellion. But the other two... They are both awesome rifles.

Between the Tavor SAR and AUG, I would choose the Tavor.

It's much more accurate, can be shot on both sides with no issue, suppresses better, mounts accessories better, can get a geissele trigger, and uses any AR magazines.

But there's nothing wrong with having them all.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
No experience with Hellion. Aug best out of the box. Tavor far and away best aftermarket.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#6]
He nailed it with the "big titty goth" concept.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Following with interest.  

Looking forward to a future bullpup rifle.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn’t watch video but for some reason the fs2k was left off.  I own all 4, haven’t had a chance to shoot hellion yet but so far I will always lean towards the fs2k.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Versus the AR15 would you say:

Reliability: less, equal, more

Durability: less, equal, more

Shootability: less, equal, more
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought an AUG because its cool as fuck and all other bullpups look dorky.

Its probably not "the best" but I dont need the best, I have some pretty good AR15's. I just want something fun and cool.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
you're funny

https://www.mediafire.com/file/r6xjht7gfczas1a/Australian_Army_AUG_Evaluation_Report_-_Complete%252C_OCR%2527d.pdf/file
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hellion where? What battle? By who? Seriously curious. Would be interested in knowing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve read surprisingly good things about the RDB.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What about the Tavor?
View Quote
were you listing them in AUG/Tavor/Helion order like in the title?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Been a lot of bullpup threads lately.

(happy x95 owner, here.)
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The front ejection system and its attendant complexities make me a little leery of the FS2K, now that it’s been discontinued.  I still shoot mine but the threat of parts breaking is always in the back of my mind.
View Quote

This is why I parted ways with mine. The white plastic lifter/ejector thing on top of the bolt assembly struck me as something that was gonna need to be replaced eventually.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
were you listing them in AUG/Tavor/Helion order like in the title?
View Quote

No.

I meant your experiences for each on individually.

Is the Aug: more, less, equal in each thing
Is the Tavor:more, less, equal in each thing
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’ve read surprisingly good things about the RDB.
View Quote

Mine has been very reliable. Super easy take down.

The trigger is good for a bullpup.

The accuracy is shit though. At 40 yards best I’ve gotten is around an inch with a LPVO and green tip ammo. Once it heats up it is over with.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The accuracy is shit though. At 40 yards best I've gotten is around an inch with a LPVO and green tip ammo. Once it heats up it is over with.
View Quote
Mine has been 100% as well, but it has to be fed good ammo to have any semblance of accuracy. Mine is 2.5 moa with SMKs at best. For the distances I'd use it (300 and in) that's good enough IMO.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Hellion I like a tiny bit more but the Aug is still great. On the Hellion if they improved the ergos of the selector / safety to be more “reachable” it would make my preference for it significantly stronger.

The Hellion is easier to suppress. The adjustable gas block works well and is simple and fast. Took forever to find the Steyr gas plug for the Aug, but I finally got one.

Hellion takes AR mags (I wanted a purebred-ish Aug so that one’s on me for not buying the NATO version).

I dig the g36 style charging handle on the Hellion, and if you give it a reacharound inside the magwell it’s easy to manually lock it back. I’m alway having issues with locking back the Aug manually. The catch part just seems to slip on me all the time.

Anyhoo, I vote Hellion. Especially if you want to suppress it easily.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I really like the X95. It's built pretty sturdy and I've never had issues with it that weren't ammo related.  My one complaint is that it's a tad on the heavy side compared to an AR.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#25]
The FN FS2000 really needed a second generation. That rifle was on the cusp of greatness.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I didn’t watch video but for some reason the fs2k was left off.  I own all 4, haven’t had a chance to shoot hellion yet but so far I will always lean towards the fs2k.
View Quote

I really wanted an FS2K due to  it being lefty-friendly but the charging handle was so far forward tath I could not reach it while shouldered.

not sure if it was just my body mechanics or what, but I just couldn't reach it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#27]
They all fail my litmus test.

Hellion= springfield (don't forget what they tried to do)
Tavor= israel (politics)
AUG= looks like a uncut penis. (elephant trunk)

With that said, I have no suggestion for an alternative.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They all fail my litmus test.

Hellion= springfield (don't forget what they tried to do)
Tavor= israel (politics)
AUG= looks like a uncut penis. (elephant trunk)

With that said, I have no suggestion for an alternative.
View Quote

Easy solution with Hellion or Tavor...buy used.

As to your AUG critique....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]
The AUG is sexy bullpup. The others are hideous spawn…

The * RFB - RDB would be my choice for a bullpup if an AUG wasn’t in the picture.

ETA: Correction. Forgot which was which…
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mine has been 100% as well, but it has to be fed good ammo to have any semblance of accuracy. Mine is 2.5 moa with SMKs at best. For the distances I'd use it (300 and in) that's good enough IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The accuracy is shit though. At 40 yards best I've gotten is around an inch with a LPVO and green tip ammo. Once it heats up it is over with.

I’ve only shot 193 and 855 mostly. I did shoot some 75 grain Hornady at 100 yards with dismal results.

Putting a scope on it kind of kills the compact utility, so I’ll keep the green dot Holosun on it and accept that for any practical home defense role it is perfectly adequate.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I own all 3 and the Tavor would be my choice.

Better mount options for lights and stuff than the Aug, better LOP than the Hellion and with the X95 they fixed some of the ergo issues

I also have an MSAR, a PS90 and an FS2000 and notice I didn’t even mention them

That being said, the Aug is still old school cool
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know what's best bullpup. If it uses a STANAG magazine, I buy it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Tavor.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#34]
My 3.
Tanfoglio Appeal
NATO AUG
Hellion

Attachment Attached File

I like my AUG the most, but just barely.

Have a few friends with a Tavor, and I am more accurate with them than I am my AUG or Hellion.

One thing to note about the hellion.  The height over bore is quite large.  If you shoot shorter ranges with the irons, you will be shooting low.

To those that say the LOP is long on the Hellion, make sure the stock is able to fully collapse.  Some of them had springs mis-seated and would not go into the first notch.  See link below for fix.

ARF link

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm new to the bullpup world, just bought a Hellion recently. Like it just fine. I will still probably buy an AUG at some point just for the sake of having one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I had the first Gen Tavor and thought it was good. Bought a AUG and sold the Tavor. I tried the Hellion and X95 and bought the X95. I still have the AUG so AUG, then Tavor in my ranking. The Hellion might be a future purchase.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where/when has the Hellion been "battle-proven"?

Got to see AUG and 2 Hellions in action last weekend, all seemed to run fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Octopi is not grammatically correct, and as a result I reject everything in that graphic.

The plural of octopus is octopodes.  Octopuses is also acceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Octopi is not grammatically correct, and as a result I reject everything in that graphic.

The word "of" is misspelled bro.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about stewardess?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No experience with Hellion. Aug best out of the box. Tavor far and away best aftermarket.
View Quote

This. Tavor isn’t very accurate from what I hear. Never shot one. It doesn’t feel right to me. I really wanted to like it. My AUG is unbelievable with 77gr Israeli ammo. 16” FN made CHF barrel I think, from when they were rereleased in 2008 or so. Until I tried it I wasn’t convinced that ammo could be such a big factor. Still good enough with other ammo. About like a typical AR. The AUG is the most ergonomically perfect firearm I’ve ever fired. The grips, cheekweld, balance/cog, Until mag change time at least
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#43]

I regret passing on the FS2000 years ago. My wife is probably right calling me a closeted chubby chaser. Chonky feels good sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a Tavor. I’ve not shot any of the others. But with the geissele trigger, it is a better trigger than most non pullpup triggers. Accuracy is normal. I’ve never had a jam. Ever. I’m shit at cleaning guns too.

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Define "best".
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hellion where? What battle? By who? Seriously curious. Would be interested in knowing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

@ZitiForBreakfast
@JoeDevola

Springfield (because they're a marketing and import company more than a gun manufacturer any more) changed the name

Its an HS VHS-2 and has been used in Iraq and Syria. Among others, some users get some reps in.  Considering the Iraqi police and SF use it, along with the militaries of Cameroon as well as Syria,  it wouldn't surprise me terribly if it's the most battle proven of the three.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Armee Universal Gewehr

Unless SBR, then it's the X95.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Used to own an AUG, currently own the X95 & RDB (wife's bullpup), have handled but not shot the Hellion.
1) Assuming a good quality AR build, it's been my experience that AR's will run dirty, but will not run dry. Keep it lubed and a good AR should run as well as the X95, AUG or Hellion, but a pup's piston gas system keeps most of the crud out of the bcg. Btw, Tavor owners have reported 5k-10k rds fired w/o cleaning or lubing.
2) Slight edge to the bullpups listed.
3) I find pups acquire & transition targets faster than an AR w/>14.5" bbls due to having much less weight out front. My X95's will do 1.5" groups at 100yds w/PMC X-Tac M193 using a 3x magnifier & Shooting Straight hammerpack. A pup cannot match a tuned AR's minimal muzzle rise during rapid fire, again due to the gas piston system.

On an aside, the spousal unit's RDB is very soft shooting when the gas system is properly set, but after taking it apart for familiarization & cleaning, I would not trust it for my needs & amount of shooting I do (ymmv).

One of my X95's w/IDF thin buttplate (pin & weld on the FH), Meprolight RDS Pro v2 optic, new Olight 800 lumen/66k candela WML, Shooting Straight hammerpack, MFT vertical grip containing 2 AA's for the RDS Pro, Underworld Arms AR-style pistol grip:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@ZitiForBreakfast
@JoeDevola

Springfield (because they're a marketing and import company more than a gun manufacturer any more) changed the name

Its an HS VHS-2 and has been used in Iraq and Syria. Among others, some users get some reps in.  Considering the Iraqi police and SF use it, along with the militaries of Cameroon as well as Syria,  it wouldn't surprise me terribly if it's the most battle proven of the three.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

@ZitiForBreakfast
@JoeDevola

This. Thanks for saving me the time to type it out
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top