Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
For those who don’t like the LOP or awkward selector on the VHS, a standard A1 or A2 pistol grip is a bigger improvement than you would think over the OEM grip. The greater sweep back helps a good bit with both.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it makes you feel better, I own no AR worth more than $1000.
View Quote

What is this 'AR' you speak of?...
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Best bullpup?  Is that like "Sexiest Midget Stripper?"
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For those who don’t like the LOP or awkward selector on the VHS, a standard A1 or A2 pistol grip is a bigger improvement than you would think over the OEM grip. The greater sweep back helps a good bit with both.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26154/IMG_6134_jpeg-2982634.JPG
View Quote

The painted selector settings bug me without a full auto setting. It highlights infringement. If PSA or Spikes made it it would at least have something funny like a fling poo option.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 1:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The painted selector settings bug me without a full auto setting. It highlights infringement. If PSA or Spikes made it it would at least have something funny like a fling poo option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose one could have the markings of their choice added if they were so inclined. Although I think the fling poo option is best suited for an AK (since we can't get the INSAS, but would we really want it?).
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 2:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I suppose one could have the markings of their choice added if they were so inclined. Although I think the fling poo option is best suited for an AK (since we can't get the INSAS, but would we really want it?).
View Quote

Now markings on the AK never bothered me because I can’t read them. Ironically I have a Perst and it bothers the crap out of me because I can’t read them. Maybe it needs red paint on the dangerous setting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Best bullpup?  Is that like "Sexiest Midget Stripper?"
View Quote

What's the matter with you? You SexMidStrip-phobic or something?...
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They all fail my litmus test.

Hellion= springfield (don't forget what they tried to do)
Tavor= israel (politics)
AUG= looks like a uncut penis. (elephant trunk)

With that said, I have no suggestion for an alternative.
View Quote
The politics of the tavor is a plus to me.  

The AUG is likely the most proven.

Don't know much about the hellion.

For a long range gun, I'm not picking a bull pup.  For short ranges, I'm going tavor as it's the best at that given its lineage with a side helping of supporting Israel
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my hellion.  As soon as I figure out an overtravel stop on the trigger to shorten reset it will be even better.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He nailed it with the "big titty goth" concept.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I have handled and shot all mentioned, none were impressive enough to buy for what they usually sell for.

I then got a killer deal on an X95, with a little help with the aftermarket, it is a KEEPER.

My only complaint with the X95, I wish it had an adjustable gas system for suppressor use. That said, if I use SDN6 suppressor, it is not terribly gassy.

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The politics of the tavor is a plus to me.  

The AUG is likely the most proven.

Don't know much about the hellion.

For a long range gun, I'm not picking a bull pup.  For short ranges, I'm going tavor as it's the best at that given its lineage with a side helping of supporting Israel
View Quote

How long a range are we talking here? With a 3x magnifier, my X95's will do 1.5" 5-shot groups at 100yds using PMC X-Tac M193. That's better accuracy than I was expecting or will probably ever need (ymmv).
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw Steyr was releasing a .300BLK AUG.  I wonder how long a 10" AUG would be?  Slap a red dot on it and that'd be an interesting PDW.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I saw Steyr was releasing a .300BLK AUG.  I wonder how long a 10" AUG would be?  Slap a red dot on it and that'd be an interesting PDW.
View Quote

It’s been out a while and will be here eventually. I’m interested in the new gas system. It’s less reliable with lower bore pressure. Sounds like a perfect use for a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Need to take a new photo with the Hellion

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9714/bullpups2021-2230669.jpg
View Quote

All those beautiful rifles and no FN FS2000?  Have you ever tried one out?  I used to really like mine..But have gotten rid of all my bull pups and stayed with AR15 just for ease of getting parts and the logistics of staying with just one system.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
10" isn't possible with the AUG gas system
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have handled and shot all mentioned, none were impressive enough to buy for what they usually sell for.

I then got a killer deal on an X95, with a little help with the aftermarket, it is a KEEPER.

My only complaint with the X95, I wish it had an adjustable gas system for suppressor use. That said, if I use SDN6 suppressor, it is not terribly gassy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77315/20220116_094728-2242173.jpg
View Quote

What's frustrating with that is they already make an adjustable gas system (two position selector switch), it's not just made for he 5.56 version.  The .300 Blk version has it though.

Unfortunately it's in a shitty location.  Inset in the top rail, right where you'd want to set an optic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

As others have pointed out, a 10” AUG isn’t possible due to the location of the gas port/piston.

Even at 16” it would be as short as a 10.5” AR.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As others have pointed out, a 10” AUG isn’t possible due to the location of the gas port/piston.

Even at 16” it would be as short as a 10.5” AR.
View Quote

So, they're going to release the AUG in a caliber optimized for a 9" barrel; but you can only have it in a 16" barrel, where it gets you maybe 175-200fps more? That strikes me as an odd choice.  At least in 5.56, you're talking a significant difference in effective range for the tradeoffs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So, they're going to release the AUG in a caliber optimized for a 9" barrel; but you can only have it in a 16" barrel, where it gets you maybe 175-200fps more? That strikes me as an odd choice.  At least in 5.56, you're talking a significant difference in effective range for the tradeoffs.
View Quote

The .300BLK AUG interests me as a (suppressed) hog gun, but I’ll stick to my 5.56 AUG as a HD rifle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All three are great platforms and battle proven.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#22]
In the other 12000 bullpup threads everyone sems to love the Aug.  I only have the Tavor and I have a few thousand rounds through it and never had a malfunction.  Great gun!  The only issue is it is not very accurate, but I don't consider that a problem for what I would consider its purpose.

I just can't get an Aug because I think it is the absolutely fugliest gun ever made.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I tried a friends Tavor awhile back. It felt like I was holding a 2x6 to my shoulder.

Clunky feeling to me, I’ll stick to the AUG.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All those beautiful rifles and no FN FS2000?  Have you ever tried one out?  I used to really like mine..But have gotten rid of all my bull pups and stayed with AR15 just for ease of getting parts and the logistics of staying with just one system.
View Quote

I tried a friend's FS2000, the 'tactical tuna' moniker is apt. The mag sensitivity, complexity & 'tactical toilet seat cover' were all deal-killers for me. Front ejection was cool, though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I tried a friends Tavor awhile back. It felt like I was holding a 2x6 to my shoulder.

Clunky feeling to me, I’ll stick to the AUG.
View Quote

Apt description. I think the sopmod stock profile was inspired by the AUG. Steyr nailed it a long time ago.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like one is there, second from the left.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#27]
edit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I really like the IWI X95.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

A 10” barrel isn’t possible with the AUG. The 9mm XS used a shortened “gas block” which out the barrel just about an inch past the receiver at about 12 or so inches. The shortest 5.56 barrel is 13.8 with a full size gas block. The .300 brownout uses a larger gas block and the only functional .300 barrels have just been in 16”.

I’d like to see a shorter .300 barrel, maybe 14.5 to pin, but I’m not sure it’s functionally possible.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 4:09:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I really like the IWI X95.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#32]
No experience with the X95, but so far I prefer the VHS over the AUG.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#33]
For the unaware, the VHS-2 nearly won the French trials, narrowly losing to the HK416.  It beat out many other rifles to get there.  HK has such influence in Europe that I’m not surprised they won so it was a pretty good showing for the Croatian underdog.

It’s a very mature design.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#34]

You know that K&M makes an upgraded trigger for that, right?
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#35]
The AUG is the most vetted and respected but as of late they’ve had a LOT of QC issues. Plus they’re more difficult to mount basic accessories like lights.

The X95 mimics the AR we all know and love controls-wise, plus it’s got a strong pedigree of killing certain undesirable characters that we can also appreciate, especially in light of recent events. But the accuracy is weak compared to the other two, and IWI does not sell spare parts.

Objectively speaking, the VHS might be the best one, but the Springfield name hurts its street cred, and the stock is a bit long if you’re under 6ft. It looks cool as hell, and is the most accurate of the three.

If you’d asked me to pick last year, I’d have gone Steyr. Last week? Springfield. Today? I’ll take the Islamic attitude adjuster from Israel please.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I didn’t watch video but for some reason the fs2k was left off.  I own all 4, haven’t had a chance to shoot hellion yet but so far I will always lean towards the fs2k.
View Quote

I had one for years. Absolute fragile POS. Google my screen name for all the reasons why
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’ve read surprisingly good things about the RDB.
View Quote

Yup.  Would take one over all the others.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

And the newest imports come with a better angled safety too
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The best is actually the K&M Arms M17s.
Better overall dimensions and specs with a far superior trigger. AR180 style bolt carrier, many standard AR parts.

In my opinion.
View Quote

I mean, it has the best trigger of any bullpup made, but I'm not sure I would consider it the best bullpup. For casual use, I'd probably give the nod to the RDB, simply because the bottom eject makes it more lefty friendly (and it's lighter then the K&M).  The big disadvantage of the K&M is that they retained the extruded metal upper, which can get very hot under extensive shooting.  I've run mine in quite a few classes, and gloves are an absolute must. The wylde chamber is also a questionable choice, since it makes the gun somewhat ammo picky and steel case adverse (but very accurate).  

A pretty strong case could be made for the X95: it's stone reliable, will shoot any ammo (I've run stuff through it that's completely locked up multiple other rifles ), has AR like controls, and has integrated rails for mounting accessories.  The trigger sucks, and accuracy leaves something to be desired (mine, at least; maybe this has been fixed on the newer ones), but this is the gun I'd be tempted to grab over my K&M in a zombie apocalypse scenario.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#40]
If there was a table with those three on it with mags for each and a pressing need for me to use one (say a two way range), I'd grab the AUG 10/10 times.

Sorry, I'm not a tavor or similar carbine fan.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If there was a table with those three on it with mags for each and a pressing need for me to use one (say a two way range), I'd grab the AUG 10/10 times.

Sorry, I'm not a tavor or similar carbine fan.
View Quote

I think the biggest problem with the AUG is the God awful trigger (although I've heard the newer ones have less awful triggers), and the lack of rails.  Not too keen on proprietary mags either (although that can be fixed with NATO stocks).
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think the biggest problem with the AUG is the God awful trigger (although I've heard the newer ones have less awful triggers), and the lack of rails.
View Quote

Don't the new ones have rails?  The select fire AUG trigger is decent compared to the semi-auto.

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Don't the new ones have rails?  The select fire AUG trigger is decent compared to the semi-auto.

View Quote

Only the airsoft ones.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Only the airsoft ones.
View Quote

Mine has a 3" section of picitinny rail on the right side of the receiver. In addition to the foot and half of rail on top.

I only bought the AUG because it was a smoking deal from PSA. It's interesting, but that said it's inferior to the AR platform in a lot of ways. At least for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Mine has a 3" section of picitinny rail on the right side of the receiver. In addition to the foot and half of rail on top.

I only bought the AUG because it was a smoking deal from PSA. It's interesting, but that said it's inferior to the AR platform in a lot of ways. At least for me.
View Quote

Yeah, given a choice between AUG and AR, I'd choose AR.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a x95 and like it....
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the airsoft ones.

Manticore Arms makes a nice handguard/rail interface for the AUG.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I've had the Tavor, AUG and the FS2000 but can't comment on the Hellion.

The AUG is a nice gun but having to deal with buying different mags and having a fixed sight, not the guns fault but mine, I didn't care for it. It functioned fine but was just not for me.

The Tavor I owned was a great gun and felt really good in my hands while shooting it. I liked the overall layout of the gun and only sold it as I had to pay some medical bills. I want to get another one but the prices now are kind of crazy.

The FN FS2000 was a neat design but not very comfortable to shoot or hold. It felt big and is big, compared to others guns like it. It was different, I'll give it that but a little too radical for me. The PS90 is neat and is great fitting/feeling for it's size but the ammo for it, when it first came out, was very expensive. I wish I still had that one.

It comes down to personal preference. You just have to decide what you want it to do for you and what your expectations of the gun is for. For me, I prefer the ar-15 platform, while not a bullpup, I am most familiar with it and if push came to shove, no matter what bullpup I had, I would grab the old reliable.

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is the Tavor really reliable? Or is he full of it.

Is the Hellion that good? Or is he full of it.

The AUG is a mainstay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxxYXhVcH-o
View Quote

All 3 are very reliable, all 3 are accurate, all 3 have unique features

X95 pros…. Best ergo of the 3, the most robust of of the 3 (full alum rec. under polymer), good aftermarket, built on Israeli military lines, CHF chrome lined bbl., 3 color options

Cons….  No adjustable gas system, most complicated QD bbl, the dirtiest of the 3 (think AK), no FA

Hellion pros…. 2nd best ergo, very accurate, adjustable gas system, most modular, built on Croatian military lines, has a great  CHF nitride bbl.,FA, extremely clean running
          Cons….  The Polymer is soft vs the other 2 being gouged or scraped easy, long LOP, practically no aftermarket, any color you want as long as it’s black

AUG. Pros…. best QD bbl of the 3, lightest of the 3 depending on set up, several gas adjustments, decent aftermarket ,4 color options, the Austrian made AUG is a work of military art.

Cons….  US made AUG have more QC issues than the other 2, US made AUGs have nitride bbls rather than CL like the Austrian AUGs, US made AUGs are NOT built on military lines and are not the same spec as the Austrian made AUGs,.

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#50]
X95 ftw.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top