Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:26:53 AM EDT
[#1]
My everyday whiskey is makers mark. When I really need to slum it, I go old forester. It's the most drinkable of that tier for me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:43:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Would probably be Jack Daniels, even though I started out drinking alot of Jim Beam.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Seagram's has prune juice in it.

I'll lay dollars to donuts any of you who like Crown or Jameson would be surprised at how close Windsor Canadian is to them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Guilty pleasure:

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP, I already suggested Balvenie 12 Doublewood, but it's slightly outside the $30 target. I did just remember another Scotch that is probably the best kept Scotch value secret out there.

if you live in a state where liquor can be sold in grocery stores and you have Trader Joes, pick up a bottle of this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7RJ9kf0mJfc/TCY9HdAk6FI/AAAAAAAAAS0/1uZtWbdd3bs/s1600/Finlaggan_Old_Reserve.jpg

It can be found for as low as $18 if you live in a state with low liquor taxes. It's a fairly simple, but strongly peaty Scotch, and the price can't be beat. It's a private label offering and thus doesn't disclose which distillery it comes from or the age. It can even change year to year. Most seem to think it's a 6-year Lagavulin though.

I've got 4 bottles at home along with 3 of the Trader Joes 23-year
View Quote

I'm going to have to try the doublewood. Once I get rid of some stuff I already have. I need to drink more. My liquor cabinet is too full.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm a fan of Weller as well.  you can pick up a liter for about what a fifth of jack goes for.  it has a flavor somewhere in between jack and crown royal.  

http://liquor.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WL-Weller2-1-290x290.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Negative, it's made by Jim Beam, it's not bad, decent for a mixer.

My cheap bourbon is W.L. Weller 90proof/7year at $12 a fifth. It's cheap here, Ive seen it in other states at 20-25 a bottle.

I'm a fan of Weller as well.  you can pick up a liter for about what a fifth of jack goes for.  it has a flavor somewhere in between jack and crown royal.  

http://liquor.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WL-Weller2-1-290x290.jpg

W L Weller is pretty good. I have been buying Four Roses lately. I like the small batch better but the regular Four Roses is pretty good for the price.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ranger Creek Rimfire Mesquite Smoked Texas Single Malt Whiskey.

"Mesquite Smoked Porter beer distilled into a whiskey.  It’s also much more.  Rimfire is a scotch-style single malt whiskey.  It’s a smoked whiskey where the malt was smoked by hand, but instead of using Scottish peat to smoke the malt we used Texas mesquite.  The result showcases how dramatically a beer can evolve when distilled and matured.  While a little water brings out a hint of roasted chocolate and smoke from the porter, completely new aromas and flavors of sweet malt and light, tropical fruit define this whiskey.  It’s a delicate and well balanced spirit that will be familiar to single malt whiskey drinkers yet completely unique to Texas.  Rimfire takes its name from the type of ammunition used by the Winchester 1866 "Yellow Boy” repeating rifle."

http://www.drinkrangercreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/RC_rimfire_mock.jpg

View Quote

Holy crap!  I like mesquite.  I like a good porter.  I like single-malts.  I'm getting a little fond of Texas.  I like lever-actions .  And I'm damned-near broke all the time so I can't afford my decent scotches anymore.  This might be a good tip.  Much obliged pcsutton.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ranger Creek Rimfire Mesquite Smoked Texas Single Malt Whiskey.

"Mesquite Smoked Porter beer distilled into a whiskey.  It’s also much more.  Rimfire is a scotch-style single malt whiskey.  It’s a smoked whiskey where the malt was smoked by hand, but instead of using Scottish peat to smoke the malt we used Texas mesquite.  The result showcases how dramatically a beer can evolve when distilled and matured.  While a little water brings out a hint of roasted chocolate and smoke from the porter, completely new aromas and flavors of sweet malt and light, tropical fruit define this whiskey.  It’s a delicate and well balanced spirit that will be familiar to single malt whiskey drinkers yet completely unique to Texas.  Rimfire takes its name from the type of ammunition used by the Winchester 1866 "Yellow Boy” repeating rifle."

http://www.drinkrangercreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/RC_rimfire_mock.jpg

View Quote

Hmm.  That is interesting.     Might try it sometime.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Old Crow
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/images/products/1457.gif
I don't drink much. So far, it's this one.
View Quote

THIS^^
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Evan Williams.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Bourbon: Old Forester
Scotch: Balvenie Double Wood is as cheap as I go...
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Old Weller Antique 107, for about $22/750ml bottle.
George Dickel #12, for about $18.
Gentleman Jack, for about $23.

Makers Mark has more price changes than any other mid-shelf bourbon around here.  From $20 to $24 usually, but one supermarket chain sells 6 bottles at a time for an incredible sale price of $16/750ml bottle.  Only once or twice a year, so stock up...

I have tried some of the cheaper bourbons listed above, but for my tastes they are usually only good for mixing.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top