Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/25/2019 9:23:33 AM EDT
I know this is an odd question but I have to ask. I’ve been in two mild collisions and one serious. I was doing 45 MPH and t boned someone that ran a red light. Never hit the brakes. My 3 series BMW obviously did a good job at keeping me alive. There was nothing left of the front clip (engine/axle/etc). Other than a fucked up back, I’m fine today. I think.

I see accidents on TV all the time where they show the vehicle resulting in a fatality and I don’t see how someone could have died while wearing a seatbelt.

Does blunt force trama come into play? I assume EMT and cops would be the best to answer my questions here.

It’s just kind of scary. We’ve had a fatality every week this month in my relatively small town. I assume type of car plays a huge factor as well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Sudden acceleration and deceleration.

G forces are real.

High G forces are lethal
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Mostly the rapid deceleration and resulting trauma
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Cause- generally alcohol
The what- is blunt force trauma
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Physics.

Mostly
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

G forces are real.

High G forces are lethal
View Quote
This is way outside my wheelhouse but this answer is pretty much what I was lead to believe. Lateral forces in particular. Your brain can take front/back forces more ably than side-to-side forces. Quite frankly, your whole body can. It just wasn't designed well for extreme side forces.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does blunt force trama come into play?
View Quote
Yes, but usually they get crushed, or something slides over them (or parts of them) which also causes crushing and severed arteries via slicing action.

The ones not wearing seatbelts usually get ejected, and die from impact with a heavy stationary object, or another vehicle, or the vehicle they were in tumbles over them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, sudden, rapid deceleration is usually the culprit, with resultant blunt force trauma.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
A huge number of factors but usually severe blunt trauma of some sort.
New cars are designed to absorb the impact, mitigating how much is transferred to the drivers through methods such as crumple zones and various airbags.

Most fatalities I saw involved a lack of seatbelts(commonly resulting in ejection from vehicle) heavy unsecured items in the passenger area, or just accidents that were "unsurvivable" due to the amount of force involved.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Ejection!  Wear seat belts.

Decapitation!  Pay attention to scary movies and never drive behind a van with surf boards lashed onto the top.

Short shorts!  Youv'e seen 'em before, keep eyes on road.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep tearing up internal organs, large vessels, head injuries, you name it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Physics.

Mostly
View Quote
Damn physics!
They should ban it, for the children.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
High G forces are lethal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
High G forces are lethal
Quoted:
Mostly the rapid deceleration and resulting trauma
This.

The extreme G forces act as they suddenly stop against something harder than them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Insurance premium increase.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Ruptured organs
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#15]
65mph to 0mph in 1 second.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Energy transfer, blunt force trauma, ruptured spleen, lacerated liver, aortic tear, severed c spine, arterial bleed, internal bleed, skull fracture,  impalement, decapitation, respiratory arrest, cardiac arrest, subdural hemorrhage,  loss of limb, loss of multiple limbs, ejection from vehicle, asphyxiation,  crush injury, occluded airway,  penetrating trauma, disembowelment, acidosis, etc........
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn physics!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Physics.

Mostly
Damn physics!
How many more will die before we finally learn?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#18]
The G forces are unreal. I've never taken a traffic crash reconstruction class or done traffic homicide investigations, but the dead ones I've had were mostly intact and had internal trauma sufficient to cause them to die (or be nearly dead) that was unable to be diagnosed on scene. Some looked asleep (the ones who wore their seatbelts), even after rolling a car multiple times at interstate speed and then having that overturned vehicle be hit by a semi doing 70mph... others lost control at lower speeds, were not wearing seatbelts, and got ejected, crushed, twisted, torn, split in half, etc.

The most obvious one (and first I ever had) was the guy who was not wearing a seatbelt, got partially ejected out of the sunroof on a roll, and when the car rolled over, the portion of roof between the sunroof and the driver's door frame rolled parallel down the middle of his face, crushing everything and caving it all in. He was sucking wind doing the death rattle when we got there and every breath he took made all his jagged broken face bits flap in and out. It was like being in a goddamn zombie movie with the heavy fog on some back country road and the lights reflecting off the water vapor with the car smoking and him lying in the road.

Even wearing seatbelts doesn't make you impervious. I had one where a lady got straight t-boned in the B pillar by an Econoline 3500 van doing 70mph in a 55mph zone and she was wearing her seatbelt. The massive force of the impact slung her through the passenger side window (she broke it with her face) and she was hanging out the window with only her left ankle wrapped in the driver's side seatbelt. IDK how the fuck that one happened.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
65mph to 0mph in 0.01 second.
View Quote
Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Sudden impact resulting in blunt force trauma.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Blunt force trauma is a big factor, along with rapid deceleration. When internal organs start rapidly bouncing around inside the body, things get torn up. An aortic rupture is a big killer in crashes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#22]
All the above.  When your car and body comes to a very quick and violent stop, your organs keep going, until they too stop from bouncing off the other side of some body cavity.  Or your body is suddenly accelerated into another dimension.  Not designed for that.  Also not wearing seatbelts properly is pretty risky.  Then the crushing, slicing and dicing of metal.  Amputations are common. That’s why I agree with distracted driving being a crime.  Nobody has the right to take tons of metal out into the public at pretty high speeds without paying attention to wtf they’re doing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Blunt force trauma is usually the culprit in the fatal crash my agency works due to crush damage or ejection from no seatbelt.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn physics!
View Quote
Honestly physics had probably killed more people than just about anything... except maybe time?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The most obvious one (and first I ever had) was the guy who was not wearing a seatbelt, got partially ejected out of the sunroof on a roll, and when the car rolled over, the portion of roof between the sunroof and the driver's door frame rolled parallel down the middle of his face, crushing everything and caving it all in. He was sucking wind doing the death rattle when we got there and every breath he took made all his jagged broken face bits flap in and out. It was like being in a goddamn zombie movie with the heavy fog on some back country road and the lights reflecting off the water vapor with the car smoking and him lying in the road.
View Quote
I had one like that.  I wasn't primary but I assisted.  Driver hit a barrier wall on the bottom of an overpass probably at 70 mph.  Passenger was partially ejected when the vehicle rolled.

I found some of her brains in the grass and her arm on the embankment but she was still in the vehicle as it came to final rest

That was a chaotic shitshow of a scene.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I survived a sideways roll over (flipped three times). Seatbelts and airbags are awesome. My primary injuries were blunt trauma or restraint induced. Broke my collar bone in two places, dislocated my left hip, severe bruising and minor lacerations. I also suffered a serious concussion. Debatable if it was trauma from the vehicle cab crushing around me or impacts from objects in the cab. I had a square shaped bruise that matched my computer that came loose from its docking station on my face.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#27]
My wreck in 90 was a slow speed (each vehicle doing approximately 15 mph on icy streets) but me being in a small, very light 88 Toyota pickup with no air bags of any kind, and the vehicle I slid sideways in the path of being much bigger and heavier (70's Cutlass), it crushed in the door, impacting me from the side through the tin can thin doors and causing all kinds of damage to me from head to toe.  I ended up in the ICU for 2 week and was told by my family that the doctors said they almost lost me a couple of times.

I talked to an elderly tenant at my complex recently that was all bruised up on her left side, and she had been hit from the drivers side but I assume the curtain airbags did their job and helped absorb a lot of the impact to her body.  I often wonder how badly I'd have been injured if my vehicle had all the safety features of todays vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Darwin
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know this is an odd question but I have to ask. I’ve been in two mild collisions and one serious. I was doing 45 MPH and t boned someone that ran a red light. Never hit the brakes. My 3 series BMW obviously did a good job at keeping me alive. There was nothing left of the front clip (engine/axle/etc). Other than a fucked up back, I’m fine today. I think.

I see accidents on TV all the time where they show the vehicle resulting in a fatality and I don’t see how someone could have died while wearing a seatbelt.

Does blunt force trama come into play? I assume EMT and cops would be the best to answer my questions here.

It’s just kind of scary. We’ve had a fatality every week this month in my relatively small town. I assume type of car plays a huge factor as well.
View Quote
Two things.  1) The car plays a big role.  Some cars are just safer than others in a collision.  As you found out, BMW is pretty good in this respect.  2) Note the part in bold.  A lot of those fatalities happen because of not wearing a seatbelt.  I saw a stat for the state of Missouri that indicated in about 65% of fatal car accidents, the deceased was not wearing a seat belt.  Seems to be a significant factor.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#30]
you stop while your brain doesn't....
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I had one like that.  I wasn't primary but I assisted.  Driver hit a barrier wall on the bottom of an overpass probably at 70 mph.  Passenger was partially ejected when the vehicle rolled.

I found some of her brains in the grass and her arm on the embankment but she was still in the vehicle as it came to final rest

That was a chaotic shitshow of a scene.
View Quote
Thankfully the one you quoted was on a back road at about 2-3am so there was absolutely zero traffic to contend with.

The one with the lady hanging out the window had me all pissed off because I was turning into the apartment complex she was coming out of so I could go take a massive shit that had been building all morning (they had really nice bathrooms with huge stalls to take all your stuff off in), and literally as I turned onto the "road" going into the apartment complex, I hear BOOOOOOM behind me. I thought it was a dump truck bed releasing or something (they have cement, dump, and semi trucks coming out across the highway all the time and normally they make a shitload of noise so I paid no attention to it until some guy flagged me down and said there was a crash behind me right after I crossed the road.

Another 60ish minutes til FHP got there and took over, in the rain, all while fighting back a turtling shit, just cause this dumbass couldn't figure out there was a big white panel van coming at her.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Some people are of ill health before the impact and it doesn't take much for them to die. Some are on blood thinners which can cause internal bleeding easier than a 'normal' person; some have weakened bones from cancer treatments; bad hearts.... all can contribute to deaths in less damaging impacts.

I've seen people walk away from catastrophic accidents and I've seen what appears to be moderate damage kill people.

Mass can be your friend or your enemy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Over 30 years I investigated too many fatal accidents and I can honestly say...it depends. I’ve seen accidents so severe you would think nobody survived and have a person crawl out nearly uninjured. Conversely I’ve seen minor appearing accidents and had dead people in the car.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#34]
You're all wrong.

Inertia is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Energy transfer.

A vehicle traveling at speed has tremendous kinetic energy.
A well designed vehicle sheds that energy in a calculated manner during impact.
Ever watch a Formula 1 car crash at 200mph with big pieces of the car flying off in every direction, yet the driver walks away uninjured? With each chunk that flies off the car is shedding energy to protect the driver.

Our consumer-driven cars don’t shed parts, but absorb the energy within the structure. You’ve probably heard of “crumple zones”. These are areas of the chassis designed to deform in a collision. They absorb huge amounts of energy as they deform. No more energy, no occupant injury - As previously mentioned, the vehicle needs to keep the G forces experienced by the occupants low.

In contrast to this there are many pictures of automobile accidents from the ‘20s-‘50s where there is very little visible damage to the vehicles - what we would consider minor fender-benders - yet the accidents were fatal because the energy was absorbed by people instead of vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Speed doesn't kill.

Stopping does.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I've always thought side impacts are bad, there's just not much there between the driver or passengers and what's impacting the side. They are putting airbags there now, but I doubt they do much for intrusion into the compartment. It seems like you see more massive head on and rear end collisions amazingly survived and the side impacts are oddly fatal still.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Over 30 years I investigated too many fatal accidents and I can honestly say...it depends. I’ve seen accidents so severe you would think nobody survived and have a person crawl out nearly uninsured. Conversely I’ve seen minor appearing accidents and had dead people in the car.
View Quote
I'm always amazed how drunks have a crazy ability to crawl out with minor injuries.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I was in a 40mph accident many years ago and the passenger in the car I struck was killed. They made an illegal left turn and I never hit the brakes. I hit on the passenger front A pillar. The impact was bad enough that one of the deceased shoes was on her foot and the other was in the middle intersection.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ejection!  Wear seat belts.

Decapitation!  Pay attention to scary movies and never drive behind a van with surf boards lashed onto the top.

Short shorts!  Youv'e seen 'em before, keep eyes on road.
View Quote
This one really got me this morning. No one else was around so, no danger, but... DAMN. Cutoff jeans, chuck taylors and a tank top. Just walking down the street like it's nothing.

I think I hurt my neck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#42]
No seatbelts
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#44]
It's the momentum carried by vital organs that'll do ya.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#45]
My last dept had one where an engineer was killed by his t-square in about a 35-40mph accident.  Obviously the other reasons mentioned are the norm, but sometimes freakish things happen.  At that same intersection we had an older man (60s) die from internal bleeding from about a 25-30mph collision.  He had been up talking and walking fine after the collision and appeared normal, then he died before the ambulance could get him to the hospital.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Apnea
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Sudden impact.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#48]
For those of you that like to get your nerd on:

CDC Guidelines for Trauma Triage
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I survived a sideways roll over (flipped three times). Seatbelts and airbags are awesome. My primary injuries were blunt trauma or restraint induced. Broke my collar bone in two places, dislocated my left hip, severe bruising and minor lacerations. I also suffered a serious concussion. Debatable if it was trauma from the vehicle cab crushing around me or impacts from objects in the cab. I had a square shaped bruise that matched my computer that came loose from its docking station on my face.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/CAM00118_jpg-1029621.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/CAM00122_jpg-1029622.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/20190725_064938_jpg-1029624.JPG
View Quote
gheeeeezus, man............glad u made it.    
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#50]
A buddy of mine and a large bulk of his family, 6 people total, were in a head on collision where both vehicles were doing around 55 to 60 mph.

One fatality in the car, mid sized sedan- no seatbelts, passenger majorly messed up but survived
All of my buddy's family had seatbelts on, F150-lots of injuries, but nothing major.  
Worst was his wife, sitting in the middle of the back seat.  Broken pelvis.  Her knees were stopped by the driver and passenger seats but her butt wanted to fly out the windsheild.  Snapped her pelvis.
Right rear pax had his knees against the passenger seat, one broken hip, the other dislocated.  Same thing, legs held firm, butt wanted to fly.
Left rear passenger had her leg filleted by plastic on the driver's door.
Front seat pax all were bruised and battered, but nothing broken.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top