Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
a big rock or piece of wood thrown quickly is very effective

not the most efficient, but it will work after a little while
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My new favorite round for squirrels is CCI low noise 22. I use my little savage bolt action with it.

There is one other round in my box of "exotic" .22 that might be a little quieter but I'm unsure of which one it is. I only know because I had a couple of my savage mags loaded with it. I had other mags loaded with other rounds that were louder. I can't really experiment in the burbs, I just got the low noise stuff to be sure. 

Anyway, it's quieter than my airgun and a lot more accurate. My beagles prefer that I use it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rat shot is fairly loud , more so from a pistol. Country to the name it isn't much of a sure thing unless you can get within 8 or 10 feet.

CB caps or CB longs are pretty close in both power and noise to a pellet gun . Trouble is if someone rats you out to the cops "just a air rifle" is one thing but the average cop doesn't understand that CB's are about as safe as you can go.
View Quote
That's when you stash the .22 and put out the air rifle. 

My neighbors (that know I shoot the squirrels) just assume it's an air rifle.

Note: I only take them during hunting season. Mostly because I don't want to shoot nursing mothers and cause babies to starve, that would be mean. 

I think my one neighbor really put a dent in them, squirrel numbers are way down and I don't really get many. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yup.  And all joking aside I will probably use a pet safe trap of some sort.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around here an air rifle is considered a firearm.
Yup.  And all joking aside I will probably use a pet safe trap of some sort.
I've had great success with those electrocution chamber traps. Only problem is in the summer the big palmetto bugs set them off. 

They don't deliver constantly, once something triggers it by making connection of the plates it shuts off after a certain period of time, 10 or 15 seconds there a bout. 

Also, once I was cleaning the plates and accidentally pushed the button to on. The shock I received was very noteworthy. I now just remove the batteries when I clean the plates. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bait + air rifle

Do water traps work on rats?  5 gallon bucket 1/3 filled with water, food to draw them in, grease the sides.  Dog safe.
View Quote
I've done the water traps. I even set up cameras to watch them work. A few nights I was up till 2am watching a rat walk everywhere but down that roller stick. Lol!

I eventually got a rat but it was more trouble than it was worth. I used my garbage cans I have for yard debris. They can just jump out of a bucket. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

i do have some cci quiet 22.
View Quote
Do you know how those compare to the Colibri .22s that just used primer powder? Those were silent in a long barreled bolt action but my supply has dried up. They will do a number on a rat though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#7]
we use a quality break barrel pellet gun... they get brave during the day and come out on the chicken feeder.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#8]
.45 acp

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I have one of these for the snake room when a feeder escapes.  Bait with peanut butter and rat is caught within hours.

Do not use bait/poison as the dead rat is often eaten later by a snake or bird of pray, which also ends up dying.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#10]
around here anything but a spring powered bb gun is considered a firearm. Hypothetically my savage with a can and super subs is quieter than my red ryder, but not looking to be a felon for popping a rat. I got the red ryder, but the damn thing just bounces off rats and squirrels :(

I had good luck with the rat traps (like big mouse traps) and peanut butter, but gotta watch the pets. I ended up ripping out the wood they were living in and it got a lot better.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top