User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2020 2:05:44 PM EDT

I'm thinking 458 WinMag or 338 Lapua Magnum

Looks Like The U.S. Might Have 'Murder Hornets' Now
Hilary Hanson
HuffPostMay 2, 2020, 1:20 PM MST

As the death toll from the coronavirus continues to climb and millions find themselves struggling to pay bills amid growing economic uncertainty, a new danger may be buzzing on the horizon.

Namely, murder hornets.

The New York Times reported Saturday that the insects, actually called Asian giant hornets, could establish themselves in the United States after two were spotted late last year in Washington state. The creatures got the nickname “murder hornets” ? which the Times says was coined by researchers ? because they’re, well, kinda murder-y.

“They’re like something out of a monster cartoon with this huge yellow-orange face,” Susan Cobey, a bee breeder with Washington State University’s Department of Entomology, said in an April news release from the university.
The Asian giant hornet, which has earned the nickname "murder hornet" from some researchers, has a powerful, painful sting and is known for wiping out honey bee hives.

The hornets are the world’s largest and can grow to more than 2 inches long. Though they aren’t usually aggressive to humans unless their nests are disturbed, their stings are venomous enough to kill someone who gets stung multiple times. According to the Times, the hornets kill up to 50 people a year in Japan and folks on the receiving end of the sting have compared it to the feeling of being speared by hot metal.

They’re also devastating to honey bee populations, wiping out hives and partially consuming the occupants. Last November, a beekeeper in Blaine, Washington, was shocked to discover thousands of his bees with their heads ripped off ? the murder hornet’s signature move.

It was never confirmed that hornets were the killers. But the next month, the Washington Department of Agriculture recovered a dead giant hornet from a property near Blaine, The Bellingham Herald reported at the time. The property owner had also spotted a live giant hornet flying around. The nearby town of Custer also had two reports of the big hornets, which WSU noted were unconfirmed but “probable.”
The Asian giant hornet as compared to a human hand in a photo from the Washington State Department of Agriculture. (Photo: Washington State Department of Agriculture)

A few months before the Washington sightings, officials over the border in British Columbia had found and destroyed an Asian giant hornets’ nest.

The hornets’ native range is is eastern and southeast Asia, and it’s not clear how they may have gotten to North America. Scientist fear the hornets could be a major menace to the northwest’s bee populations, causing enormous problems for agriculture and local ecosystems.

Last month, Washington state officials set up dozens of traps meant to capture any giant hornet queens that would be coming out of a long winter of dormancy underground, and said they’d be encouraging people to make homemade bottle traps.

But while officials are enlisting the public’s help in locating the hornets, they’re also encouraging people to be cautious. State entomologist Chris Looney told The Bellingham Herald that anyone who comes across the hornets should remain calm, but nevertheless keep their distance.

“If you encounter these, run away,” he said.
View Quote

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/giant-murder-hornet-202036648.html
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally an acceptable defensive use for shotguns.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
They have immigrated to the US several times this week.  I have not read the article but where are they located currently and I wonder if we have anything domestic that might solve the problem for us.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:
They have immigrated to the US several times this week.  I have not read the article but where are they located currently and I wonder if we have anything domestic that might solve the problem for us.
View Quote

It would be nice if the geese would eat them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought those have been here for years?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
I thought those have been here for years?
View Quote

Africanized "killer" bees have been.

These are Asian "murder" hornets.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Are these like the killer bees that were supposed to kill us all a few years back?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By okiehunter39:
Are these like the killer bees that were supposed to kill us all a few years back?
View Quote

Worse.  These things kill the killer bees.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Fire.

Kill with fire.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

They have been. Fake news
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:
Finally an acceptable defensive use for shotguns.
View Quote

#4 would probably do it, simi auto please.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I may have finally found a reason to own a .410 revolver. It could be fun, like mixing skeet shooting with FOF training.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]
50 gr varmint grenade from about 300yds is as close to that sonofabitch as I want to get
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I always wonder if the people who describe things feeling like getting stabbed with a red hot poker have in fact be stabbed by a red hot poker?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NwG:
I always wonder if the people who describe things feeling like getting stabbed with a red hot poker have in fact be stabbed by a red hot poker?
View Quote

Great point.

Don't you guys have Tarantula Hawks down in Texas? If so, I'd rather have the murder hornets than those winged demons.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:
They have immigrated to the US several times this week.  I have not read the article but where are they located currently and I wonder if we have anything domestic that might solve the problem for us.
View Quote

Iirc from an article linked in another thread...Western Washington.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

Great point.

Don't you guys have Tarantula Hawks down in Texas? If so, I'd rather have the murder hornets than those winged demons.
View Quote

We do. They are pretty docile though. They care only about finding tarantulas and dragging them off.

Blows your mind the first time you see a big as spider getting drug away by an even bigger wasp!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

In small numbers they have.

The concern now is they are getting established and about to displace the eco-niche of honey bees.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Prepare for the hornet lockdown........for your safety.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#22]

We do. They are pretty docile though. They care only about finding tarantulas and dragging them off. 

Blows your mind the first time you see a big as spider getting drug away by an even bigger wasp!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

Great point.

Don't you guys have Tarantula Hawks down in Texas? If so, I'd rather have the murder hornets than those winged demons.

We do. They are pretty docile though. They care only about finding tarantulas and dragging them off. 

Blows your mind the first time you see a big as spider getting drug away by an even bigger wasp!

WTF

The female tarantula hawk wasp stings a tarantula between the legs, paralyzes it, then drags the prey to a specially prepared burrow, where a single egg is laid on the spider's abdomen, and the entrance is covered.[3] Sex of the larvae is determined by fertilization; fertilized eggs produce females, while unfertilized eggs produce males.[3] When the wasp larva hatches, it creates a small hole in the spider's abdomen, then enters and feeds voraciously, avoiding vital organs for as long as possible to keep the spider alive.[3] After several weeks, the larva pupates. Finally, the wasp becomes an adult and emerges from the spider's abdomen to continue the life cycle.

Adult tarantula hawks are nectarivorous. The consumption of fermented fruit sometimes intoxicates them to the point that flight becomes difficult. 

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

Worse.  These things kill the killer bees.
View All Quotes
Are these like the killer bees that were supposed to kill us all a few years back?

Sounds like a John Wick movie.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Tennis rackets!

Being ground nesters,  I bet dogs could be trained to sniff em out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#25]
To answer the original question, the obvious round is 22 HORNET.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Badminton racquet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sslocal:

#4 would probably do it, simi auto please.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sslocal:

#4 would probably do it, simi auto please.

You'd just piss it off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#28]
W-88 is probably the only appropriate round.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Need some CCI ..STANGERS  

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Just replace rat with wasp.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

WTF

View Quote

You have to watch out for the drunk ones...

Attachment Attached File

Supposedly second most painful sting after a bullet ant. Only lasts about 90 seconds but during that time it is best described to just “lay down and scream”
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#33]
The same one for everything, 12 ga dragons breath.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

A blank might be as effective as a projectile.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

That's good to know, thank you

The first time I saw one was in Chandler (or maybe Tempe) AZ. Thought it was a hummingbird

Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

WTF

Tarantula vs. Tarantula Hawk
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By passgas55:

Sounds like a John Wick movie.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By passgas55:

Sounds like a John Wick movie.

It does:

30 Japanese Giant Hornets kill 30,000 Honey Bees
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Y’all are slacking

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#39]
What's the difference between them and the giant hornets that have been here forever? We call them Japanese Hornets, which I do not know if that is correct. They look very similar to the murder hornets pictured
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I predict .410 is about to get real popular. Look at that honking thing....
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like I have another reason not to go outside.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#42]
40mm Bofors.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jagdterrier:
What's the difference between them and the giant hornets that have been here forever? We call them Japanese Hornets, which I do not know if that is correct. They look very similar to the murder hornets pictured
View Quote

In Virginia, chances are you are seeing the European Giant Hornet. They look pretty similar, and are also freaking huge.

Do the hornets you've seen look like the big one that shows up in this Video?

You'll know which one I'm talking about when you see it:

Wasps nightmare: Hornet as killer. Wespen-Albtraum: Hornisse als Killer
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#44]
.410 revolver
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By jagdterrier:
What's the difference between them and the giant hornets that have been here forever? We call them Japanese Hornets, which I do not know if that is correct. They look very similar to the murder hornets pictured
View Quote

I think the giant hornets are actually European hornets.  They were imported to take care of a tree beetle problem, they do not attack honey bees from my understanding.

ETA...beat by X minutes and 87 seconds....

ETA..2....They attack insects which they will grab a honey bee in mid air or away from the nest but don't go and invade it like the murder hornet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I always wonder if the people who describe things feeling like getting stabbed with a red hot poker have in fact be stabbed by a red hot poker?
View Quote

I grew up in the Southwest, and having been stung by 2 of the worst, velvet ant and a tarantula hawk.. Yeah there is an immediate and searing pain. literally debilitating, and in the case of the tarantula hawk, which I took right in the neck between the shoulder blades, so painful i couldn't actually process how bad it hurt, all I could do was lay on the ground and cry. It is a burning, searing and deep pain. Luckily the initial pain was over pretty quick, but I was still fucked up for hours afterwords.   I have had deep muffler/ exhaust pipe burns on my calves, and a glowing weld wire actually stab me in the fore arm, and the stings were far more intense.

But literally being run through with a poker, I doubt it would be that bad.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JTHM242:

I grew up in the Southwest, and having been stung by 2 of the worst, velvet ant and a tarantula hawk.. Yeah there is an immediate and searing pain. literally debilitating, and in the case of the tarantula hawk, which I took right in the neck between the shoulder blades, so painful i couldn't actually process how bad it hurt, all I could do was lay on the ground and cry. It is a burning, searing and deep pain. Luckily the initial pain was over pretty quick, but I was still fucked up for hours afterwords.   I have had deep muffler/ exhaust pipe burns on my calves, and a glowing weld wire actually stab me in the fore arm, and the stings were far more intense.

But literally being run through with a poker, I doubt it would be that bad.
View Quote

Sounds like you're describing getting married.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#48]
A hero emerges....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MaxFenig:

Sounds like you're describing getting married. 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxFenig:
Originally Posted By JTHM242:

I grew up in the Southwest, and having been stung by 2 of the worst, velvet ant and a tarantula hawk.. Yeah there is an immediate and searing pain. literally debilitating, and in the case of the tarantula hawk, which I took right in the neck between the shoulder blades, so painful i couldn't actually process how bad it hurt, all I could do was lay on the ground and cry. It is a burning, searing and deep pain. Luckily the initial pain was over pretty quick, but I was still fucked up for hours afterwords.   I have had deep muffler/ exhaust pipe burns on my calves, and a glowing weld wire actually stab me in the fore arm, and the stings were far more intense.

But literally being run through with a poker, I doubt it would be that bad.

Sounds like you're describing getting married. 

I got rid of my hot poker...scars are still there though...
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top