Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I run both. I like both.The Pmags look better, but that doesn't mean much.

I find them easier to load. They save my thumbs much hurt.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The Ford Model T works just fine as well, why all the new fancy shmancy cars?
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive used both. I own both. I used the GI ones in Iraq, they worked fine. Pmags are cool but the GI ones work and when push comes to shove who cares i dont plan to have my mags run over by a truck.

Give that man a cigar. I have heard all these wild ass "what if's" on here and it leads me to think if Magpul made penis flavored lollipops the boys on here would be buying them by the case.

You don't just  plan for what you plan to happen. NO ONE expects a truck to run over their mags. NO ONE expects to drop a mag or two at 2500 feet during a jump. NO ONE plans for an elephant to step on their mags. But the unplanned for DOES happen. To ANY of us.

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]

if you don't have any pmags, for god's sake at least get magpul followers and put them in your aluminum mags

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got over 100 GI mags, 44 Thermold mags, and 1 Pmag.
I still see no need to shoot the Pmag.
M
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]

PMAGs use more oil. They are the Yukon XL of mags.  'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]
PMAGs are probably the one thing that has come out in the last 5 years or so that I really think adds to the effectiveness of the Ar15.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]
got nothin' against PMAGs

but then again, I've got nothin' against aluminum mags either
I'll just stick to the tried-&-true aluminum mags that I already have on-hand

IOW, more PMAGs for you guys, then
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The only real problem I have with the Pmags that I have is that they wont fit in my standard issue mag pouches.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

if you don't have any pmags, for god's sake at least get magpul followers and put them in your aluminum mags

This. I have a few PMags and they work fine. My GI aluminum mags also work fine. I am not a "flavor of the week" type of guy, but the MagPul followers in GI mags are by far the best upgrade you can do. A GI mag with Magpul followers make it absolutly reliable. I have replaced all my green followers with them and have never had a problem with any of them since. Some may say they haven't had a problem with black or green followers, but I say I like to be sure. They WILL NOT tilt. This should have been designed years ago.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did that years ago.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The Ford Model T works just fine as well, why all the new fancy shmancy cars?

Really, the next thing you know we'll all be running off to buy air-cooled WVs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a known fact that the reason we are losing the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is due to standard G.I. magazines.

If everyone had PMags it would have been over in 1999 they're that GOOD.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]

/thread

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I just tested a variety of different AR mags for Shotgun News and the article is currently on the shelves.
Included PMAG, Tango Down, CProducts SS, Brownells, Bravo Company, Lancer, MSAR and Tapco.

Regarding videos of magazines being run over, after testing them myself, I don't think they prove anything, but
they do look cool.

For example, I used an M35A2 cargo truck to run over all the different magazines.

This is a 13,000+ pound 6x6
truck. Magazines were run over loaded on dirt, loaded on cement and unloaded on cement.

ALL the magazines, including the aluminum mags from Brownells and Bravo Company, still functioned.

Much harder was an 8.5 foot drop test. This was done standing in the bed of the Deuce, from shoulder
height, onto cement. Mags were dropped loaded, down a chute to ensure they hit on the feed lips.

Left to Right
Tango Down, PMAG, TAPCO

The Tango Down, PMAG and TAPCO all split down the spine.

Here's a close-up of the very rugged feeling Tango Down

The CProducts Stainless steel mag also died on impact with flattened feedlips.

The aluminum mags still functioned and the Lancer and MSAR suffered little or no damage (but both needed to be reloaded to function)
Two aluminum mags and Lancer

Many more tests than these were performed. For the full write-up check out the Shotgun News article.
My thoughts:
PMAGs are very good, but not as indestructible as some think.
Aluminum mags are not as bad as some think.
You should consider checking out Lancer's mag.....they surprised me.
If MSARs mag dropped free they would be an interesting option.
Dropping mags onto cement is A LOT tougher on them then running them over with a SUV....
but all those videos sure did work wonders for advertising didn't they.....

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I didn't know USGI mags still worked.

Huh.

No shit. They even quit using them in Call of Duty.

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#18]
If my magazine is on the ground its becuase it is empty.  Since I won't be reloading it during a critical incident who gives a shit what happens to it.  What are we talking here, $9.00 a mag?  I have owned USGI, HK and Pmag.  They're all good to go.  The only shit mags I ever owned were post ban USA mags.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Because loading a full 30rd Pmag on a closes bolt is MUCH easier/actually possible, compared to a USGI.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Because you can stomp a PMag or run over it with a truck with no adverse affects.

Try that with your old school aluminum mags and get back to us.

WRONG

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pmags are what USGI aluminum mags are not:  Highly dent and damage resistant.

You don't worry about dents or damaged feed lips.  You don't care if an elephant stomps your magazines into the dirt or they get run over by a 10 ton utility truck.

You know they'll work...flawlessly.

It's not hype or bullshit, it's simply the magazine made tougher than the rifle it works with.

CJ

This...
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just tested a variety of different AR mags for Shotgun News and the article is currently on the shelves.
Included PMAG, Tango Down, CProducts SS, Brownells, Bravo Company, Lancer, MSAR and Tapco.

Regarding videos of magazines being run over, after testing them myself, I don't think they prove anything, but
they do look cool.

<SNIP>

My thoughts:
PMAGs are very good, but not as indestructible as some think.
Aluminum mags are not as bad as some think.
You should consider checking out Lancer's mag.....they surprised me.
If MSARs mag dropped free they would be an interesting option.
Dropping mags onto cement is A LOT tougher on them then running them over with a SUV....
but all those videos sure did work wonders for advertising didn't they.....

Thanks for the reality check.

That's gonna send some PMAG fanboys into a tizzy...lol.

Konger

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I bought a dozen PMAGs last year and my dick grew three inches.  No shit.  

Yep... Pmags have similar effects as the 3 wolf moon shirt

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I wondered the same thing years ago..Why all these fancy new guns like the AR15 popping up? Ive been using my ole USGI M1 carbine and Garand...
I get irritated when I see people trying to improve stuff
Pmags cost the same as USGI, I dont see em being fancy or tactical cool..Some do but they are idiots anyway.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm sure the P-Mag fanboys will be along shortly to tell you that you weren't paid by Magpul and doctored the tests.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Latest fashion accessory for the uber-tactical.

/ thread
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats why I had a Pmag double feed back to back ...... IN A MATCH

Mag double feeds, pull mag and clear double feed.  Reinsert mag, shoot first round that was manually chambered and it double feeds again.  Mag was tossed on the ground so I couldnt reuse it again and it cost me a proceduaral penalty.  Finished the stage with USGI's and was fine.  

When I picked the mag up I stripped the rest of the ammo out of it and gave the mag away.  

That nice little double double screwed me royalty and I have vowed I wont use another Pmag again.  

You shut your whore mouth!

Everyone knows that P-mags were sent down from heaven on a beam of sunlight and their perfectness is NOT to be questioned!

I used GI mags downrange.  I don't know how I didn't instantly die as I left the wire....

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seriously, what's with all the fancy ar magazines to hit the market? I have been using the same old school aluminum colt and labelle magazines for years and they work just fine. Why all the hype on the new plastic types?

I like the pmags cause I can put them in my back pocket and they still work
after I sit on them. All for under ten bucks for a 30 rnd. Other then that nothimg.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#29]
TangoDown makes a great VFG but their ARC/L mags look like ass...
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Much harder was an 8.5 foot drop test. This was done standing in the bed of the Deuce, from shoulder
height, onto cement. Mags were dropped loaded, down a chute to ensure they hit on the feed lips.

The Tango Down, PMAG and TAPCO all split down the spine.

Here's a close-up of the very rugged feeling Tango Down
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/TangoDownafter85footdroptest.jpg
The CProducts Stainless steel mag also died on impact with flattened feedlips.

The aluminum mags still functioned and the Lancer and MSAR suffered little or no damage (but both needed to be reloaded to function)
Two aluminum mags and Lancer
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/aluminummagsandLancerafter85footdro.jpg

UNPOSSIBLE.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I have both.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Around here I can actually get non-window PMAGs cheaper than good aluminum mags.  

I like that you can preload them and store them indefinitely with the dust cover affixed to them.  As an armchair commando that doesn't get out shooting as much as I'd like to, I like being able to stoke up the mags and put them away until my next range trip.

I don't find them any easier to insert on a closed bolt than GI mags.

And Foilage is the new FDE...  You watch...

Seriously I don't get all the Magpul hate...  They make a lot of great products that make the AR a better rifle.  sheesh...
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Mag double feeds, pull mag and clear double feed.  Reinsert mag, shoot first round that was manually chambered and it double feeds again.  Mag was tossed on the ground so I couldnt reuse it again and it cost me a proceduaral penalty.  Finished the stage with USGI's and was fine.  

When I picked the mag up I stripped the rest of the ammo out of it and gave the mag away.  

That nice little double double screwed me royalty and I have vowed I wont use another Pmag again.  

A procedural for putting a mag on the ground?  What were you shooting in, an IDPA 3-gun match?  Also, why would you 'give away' a known bad functioning magazine?  I hope you told recipient about it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Because you can stomp a PMag or run over it with a truck with no adverse affects.

Try that with your old school aluminum mags and get back to us.

With ammo in it.  It will break empty.

The pmags biggest benefit is the black... i forget the name of it, the feeder.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pmags are what USGI aluminum mags are not:  Highly dent and damage resistant.

You don't worry about dents or damaged feed lips.  You don't care if an elephant stomps your magazines into the dirt or they get run over by a 10 ton utility truck.

You know they'll work...flawlessly.

It's not hype or bullshit, it's simply the magazine made tougher than the rifle it works with.

CJ

Plus, they cost the same. so why not upgrade?
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Denny Crane.

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Denny Crane.

So now you have 3.5 inches of women thriller..
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

so if I buy 2 dozen ?.......

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seriously I don't get all the Magpul hate...  They make a lot of great products that make the AR a better rifle.  sheesh...

I have no dislike whatsoever for Magpul. I have lots of their excellent products including a couple of stocks, dozens of their mag followers, etc..
I have no dislike for their mags either, it's just that I have several hundred USGI mags already, most of which have been upgraded with Magpul followers, many of which are new in the wrap, and I see no need to spend the money on more mags (unless a neato collectible comes along or something like that).

If I needed mags right now, I'd definitely consider Magpul mags.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#40]
All you whippersnappers and yer newfangled plastic fantastic magazines.

I have a handful of, ahem . . . slightly used old 20rd mags.  Work fine for me.

(doesn't mean that I don't fancy popping the top on a PMAG now and then)

-p.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 1:45:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/PB140008.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/PB140013.jpg

-p.

Meh..  Those are practically modern compared to these:

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A procedural for putting a mag on the ground?  What were you shooting in, an IDPA 3-gun match?  Also, why would you 'give away' a known bad functioning magazine?  I hope you told recipient about it.

Match directors rules, mags are to be retained.  If they hit the ground then you are hit with a procedural.  

And yes they guy who got the mag was well aware of its short comings, he was in my squad and saw that it fucked up, he said he would take it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/PB140008.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/PB140013.jpg

-p.

You store them loaded?  Some of them look semi-collectible...
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

ME TOO!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top