View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IV, V, VI

Are there additional chapters I'm not aware of?

What's up with the numbers?
Do you mean STAR WARS, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi ?

You mean the numbers that appear at the start of the film?

http://i.imgur.com/azOzSVo.jpg

By the way, the first one is called A New Hope.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/anewhope.jpg

Oh, that Lucasfucked bullshit.

https://youtu.be/iXDnFYu91vY

See that doesn't make sense to me because I remember as a kid...long before the prequels...wondering why it was episode IV and curious about where the first three were. If that is the screen crawl then where did I get the episode numbers?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IV, V, VI

You mean the numbers that appear at the start of the film?

http://i.imgur.com/azOzSVo.jpg

By the way, the first one is called A New Hope.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/anewhope.jpg

It's not like we're talking about the special edition. The episode number and subtitle was added after Empire was released.

Quoted:
See that doesn't make sense to me because I remember as a kid...long before the prequels...wondering why it was episode IV and curious about where the first three were. If that is the screen crawl then where did I get the episode numbers?

Added in '81

Moose is either 50+ or a hipster.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Your son is 8. He isn't going to be watching these and thinking about the metaphysical, societal, blah blah blah shit that underlies the movies. He is going to see lightsabers, star ships, and space battle sequences and think it is all cool. So, if you want him to know the backstory watch it sequentially (episodes 1-3 then 4-6). But if you don't want the surprise of Empire ruined then watch 4-6 and tell him you are going to then watch the Anakin/Vader backstories (i.e. prequels) and watch 1-3.    
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Moose is either 50+ or a hipster.
View Quote

Personal attack.
Reported.

Eh, I just see the adding ep4 A New Hope to Star Wars as the  beginning of Lucas fucking with a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
IV, V, VI  then  I, II, & III.

This from and old fart who still has (and cherishes) his prints of the first three episodes on VHS. And no, they're not for sale.

When my brother and I saw the first scenes of "The Phantom Menace" on the big screen, we turned to each other and said, "What is this shit?"
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"
View Quote

Netflix que has been updated to this suggestion.  Makes the most sense to me.  Order in which they were released.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IV, V, VI

Those are the only real Star Wars movies that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Netflix que has been updated to this suggestion.  Makes the most sense to me.  Order in which they were released.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"

Remove Phantom Menace immediately, it serves no purpose.  Watch this instead, it's at least enjoyable.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just watch episode 4, 5, and 6.  NOT the special editions.  No need to watch the other films.  They are basically just bad fan films anyway.
View Quote

This.... 4, 5, 6 and then wait till Dec. done.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The amount of people calling them 'IV, V, and V' instead of 'Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi' makes me very very sad.

Let me put it this way- from 1977 until about 2001 this is what those movies were called. Period. For 23 years that's how they were known.
If you were to say "In episode V when Luke gets his hand chopped off..." people would think you were crazy.

The prequels sucked, they fail to measure up to the originals. But then when they started to release the 6-movie box sets around 2005-ish, the originals suddenly were called IV, V and VI. The original logos were even reworked to incorporate them (plus they obliterated the literally classic original movie posters)

Man, I'm not even that much of a Star Wars nerd, but that drives me crazy. Its worse than when people say clip instead of magazine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Droid Tales is becoming one of my favorite synopsis shows since that other guy.  Some of the quips are hilarious, especially with Mace Windu

Skip to 3:45
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Droid Tales is becoming one of my favorite synopsis shows since that other guy.  Some of the quips are hilarious, especially with Mace Windu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBtpwpj6pII
View Quote

God that hilarious.

I also wish that they made fun of the...romance...between Anakin and Padme that nearly made Twilight look like Casablanca.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Where does the Christmas special fit in?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the LEGO cartoons with my ten year old son, especially the Star Wars ones. There was one recently (I think it was a Droid Tales) that even had a Jaws spoof with Chief Brody saying "we are going to need a bigger boat." My son totally didn't get it, but I smiled. I've also enjoyed watching the new Star Wars Rebels TV show with him, and since we just got Netflix he watched the entire Clone Wars series (which from the few I watched with him seemed very well done).  

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the LEGO cartoons with my ten year old son, especially the Star Wars ones. There was one recently (I think it was a Droid Tales) that even had a Jaws spoof with Chief Brody saying "we are going to need a bigger boat." My son totally didn't get it, but I smiled. I've also enjoyed watching the new Star Wars Rebels TV show with him, and since we just got Netflix he watched the entire Clone Wars series (which from the few I watched with him seemed very well done).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rebels has been awesome so far.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#16]

This. It tells the story perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

God that hilarious.

I also wish that they made fun of the...romance...between Anakin and Padme that nearly made Twilight look like Casablanca.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God that hilarious.

Check out episode 2  
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
The trash can. Better yet, the incinerator or as far up George Lucas' ass as possible, which probably is the same thing.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#19]
IV, V, then stop watching.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The trash can. Better yet, the incinerator or as far up George Lucas' ass as possible, which probably is the same thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A case could be made that I and Christmas special occupy the same tier of suckage.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A case could be made that I and Christmas special occupy the same tier of suckage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a terrible opinion to have of yourself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
4-6 then 1-3

Thats the order they were made

Btw darth vader is luke skywalkers father
View Quote

...and the Empire was overthrown by Teddy Bears.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Empire Strikes Back really was the zenith of quality.  It isn't often that a sequel is better than the first movie.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Watch the first one. Then stop.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not 40.

I'm 45.

Good point, but all our discussion is moot since OP has made his decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The opinions on the order may vary, but it seems that everyone agrees that the prequels suck.
Have fun watching regardless and welcome!
40 year old men that, as children in the seventies/eighties grew up watching Star Wars, playing with the toys, and hold a special nostalgic place in their heart for the original movies, think that the prequels suck...

I'm not 40.

I'm 45.

Good point, but all our discussion is moot since OP has made his decision.

Beat me to it word for word! I'm 45 too and was going to post exactly this ^^^
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Watch Empire Strikes Back.

That is all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Empire Strikes Back really was the zenith of quality.  It isn't often that a sequel is better than the first movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep hearing people say that, but rarely does anyone explain it.  It's my personal opinion, but Empire was great, but not awesome.  I got excited watching ANH.  I got excited watching ROTJ, (which I thought was the zenith), I always fall asleep halfway through Empire, right around the asteroid belt part.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I keep hearing people say that, but rarely does anyone explain it.  It's my personal opinion, but Empire was great, but not awesome.  I got excited watching ANH.  I got excited watching ROTJ, (which I thought was the zenith), I always fall asleep halfway through Empire, right around the asteroid belt part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Empire Strikes Back wasn't so much about the action, but rather about the characters and their development.  Any action in the movie was just an accessory.  It was about Luke maturing and coming to grips with himself...the good and bad potential.  It was about Han and Leia's relationship taking root beyond something superficial.  It introduced a muppet that inspires respect.  Etc.  It's beyond excitement.  It made the characters relatable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about The Ewok Adventures???

Surely we aren't going to deprive some innocent 8 yo boy all the fun and wonder and excitement of that, are we???

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Empire Strikes Back wasn't so much about the action, but rather about the characters and their development.  Any action in the movie was just an accessory.  It was about Luke maturing and coming to grips with himself...the good and bad potential.  It was about Han and Leia's relationship taking root beyond something superficial.  It introduced a muppet that inspires respect.  Etc.  It's beyond excitement.  It made the characters relatable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it had arguably one of the coolest battle sequences ever filmed (battle of Hoth). Also first really cool lightsaber fight (Vader vs Kenobi in Star Wars was just a teaser)
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Empire was great, but it was an incomplete movie.  Designed that way.  It fleshed out the main characters, but didn't go anywhere with them.  I personally think that's a good thing.  But there is no Empire without Jedi.  You felt for the characters in Jedi because of Empire.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#34]
The original trilogy, in order.

Done.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#35]
IV, V, VI
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#36]
So I tell my son last night I have the movies ordered... he says "Cool!"  Then, I kid you not, in his best impression voice, I hear "Luuukkeeee... I am your fatherrrr...."  

Surprise!  

I ask what that means... He says Vader is Lukes Father obviously....

Screw it... we gonna watch em all in order from Episode I onward
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. The first film was epic adventure, the second was believing they were real people inhabiting that world, and showed the gravity and complexity of their decisions...and still gave a sense of the evil they were fighting.

After that, they were all kid's movies that shit on everything that made the first two compelling.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yup. The first film was epic adventure, the second was believing they were real people inhabiting that world, and showed the gravity and complexity of their decisions...and still gave a sense of the evil they were fighting.

After that, they were all kid's movies that shit on everything that made the first two compelling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Then afterward, watch The Family Guy Star Wars special and Spaceballs to close it out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Remember the science fiction movie when Edward G. Robinson's character dies and then Charlton Heston says, "Soylent Green is made out of people," ?

It fits in there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#42]
4, 5, 6, then skip the rest.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#43]
My daughter watched them 1-6 and was shocked that I had to wait all those years to watch 1-3
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#45]
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 1, 2, 3
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top