Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You're the asshole that was driving half a mph faster than the cars in the right lane, but wouldn't move to the right and let me by, weren't you?

Why do you make me pass you on the right?

God I hate Minnesotans...
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, I thought you meant the passing lane that opens up for a mile or two on an otherwise 2-lane road.  

When that happens, you're supposed to go as fast as you can, so no one can pass you, and then slow back down to 15 under where no one can pass you.  

At least, that's what I see most of the crazy people here doing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The purpose of the left lane is for passing not cruising.  No matter how you feel about the left lane the purpose is for passing.  
The reason is imagine in an ideal world that you can be passed on either side what that does is drastically increase the likelihood of accidents.  You now have to expect you can get passed on both sides and making you check two lanes for clear instead of one.  This is also why so many senseless stupid accidents happen on US highways.  If everyone followed the left lane is a passing lane rule you would have less people changing lanes because the likelihood of an accident increases if I am closing in on you in the left lane and you are not moving then when I make my move to pass you in the right lane you finally decide hey I should move out of the way and now we have me hammering the brakes in the middle of a lane change to avoid striking you and abruptly changing lanes back to the left lane.  Same goes for 18 wheeler if you pass them on the right that is the least visible side for them so since technically you should pass to the left they may not recognize you are making a pass till they are already moving and you are mid pass.

Left lane campers cause accidents and are worse than drunk or texting drivers ... Change my mind!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yesterday on I94 in Montana, I found out my cruise control only goes up to 90. I was in the left lane.
View Quote
Rt2 in Montana.  Safe at any speed.  As is most of I94 out there.  People that haven't driven out that-a-way have missed out on one of the great motoring experiences.  90 mph does not feel fast at all.  On my bike, faster than 90 collapses the aero bubble enough that wind noise escalates so that is kinda the upper limit for me for long-distance cruising.  Slowing down to 70 feels like you could hop off and push faster.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Either trolling or retarded.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The purpose of the left lane is for passing not cruising.  No matter how you feel about the left lane the purpose is for passing.  
The reason is imagine in an ideal world that you can be passed on either side what that does is drastically increase the likelihood of accidents.  You now have to expect you can get passed on both sides and making you check two lanes for clear instead of one.  This is also why so many senseless stupid accidents happen on US highways.  If everyone followed the left lane is a passing lane rule you would have less people changing lanes because the likelihood of an accident increases if I am closing in on you in the left lane and you are not moving then when I make my move to pass you in the right lane you finally decide hey I should move out of the way and now we have me hammering the brakes in the middle of a lane change to avoid striking you and abruptly changing lanes back to the left lane.  Same goes for 18 wheeler if you pass them on the right that is the least visible side for them so since technically you should pass to the left they may not recognize you are making a pass till they are already moving and you are mid pass.

Left lane campers cause accidents and are worse than drunk or texting drivers ... Change my mind!
View Quote

I'm smashing the like button
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fuck the law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh geez, another thread about people breaking the law and then they are complaining about other people breaking the law.

Fuck the law.
If you are speeding but not impeding no harm, no foul.  

If you are impeding regardless of the speed you are a selfish dirty commie criminal.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It means you pass then get the fuck back over in the right lane.

It's a hard concept for some but that's how it's supposed to work.
View Quote

Yep.  That's it.

These threads always sucks because people constantly play the "what if" as if to intentionally obfuscate a pretty simple rule.

So let's just get it out of the way:

"What if I'm going the speed limit?"

No, pass and get over.

"What if there's nobody behind me?"

No, pass and get over.

"What if the car on the right is going 0.5mph below the speed limit?  Can I take an hour to pass him at 70mph set on cruise control?"

No, hurry the fuck up and pass and get over.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
How to be a good citizen (me or him...you decide). I noticed the sun was beautiful this morning and snapped a pic and just realized it pertains to this thread lol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't go 75 in the left lane.

Do 85+ or however fast you need to in order to not camp or get out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#11]
It should be legal to pit left lane campers
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Your math doesn't make sense

Googling will tell you the recommended safe following distance is 3sec. This is BS. At 60mph you cover 88fps and the average reaction time is 1.5sec. So, you've already eaten up half your following distance. This leaves 1.5sec and ~132ft to stop. The average stopping distance, of a "regular sized" vehicle is >140ft. You're going to make contact...

So, lets just bump it to a 4sec following distance. (not saying this is better)
If you're going to pass a vehicle, w/ a 4sec distance, at a delta of 7.3fps, at 60mph, you'll need to cover: the following distance (4*88), the length of your car (~15ft), the length of their car (~15ft), and another safe following distance (4*88). That's 206ft. At 7.3fps, it'll take >28sec to travel that distance.
View Quote

Do you not realize that the vehicle in front of you will take the same time and distance to come to a stop? Unless they have some new technology which will allow them to come to an instantaneous and complete stop, you will be ok.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get both
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Asshole here don't like to be passed and will speed up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I tell this to my wife all the time and she thinks I need help lol. OMG, am I gonna get red flagged now?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
It's kinda funny in that it codifies the speed limit isn't the limit. If the hard deck is 75, it implies people will "pass" at up to 75mph, and everyone else is going slower. If everyone is going the limit (75), no one can pass because using the official "passing" lane means you have to break the law.

Ironic BS.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.

In many states, "keep right except to pass" is law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It’s that simple.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I was doing 90 on the left lane at midland Michigan and even I always move over for a faster car and never camp.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You're the asshole that was driving half a mph faster than the cars in the right lane, but wouldn't move to the right and let me by, weren't you?

Why do you make me pass you on the right?

God I hate Minnesotans...
View Quote

I knew where you were from before I even looked to verify.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#20]
In before self-appointed highway patrol who thinks it's their job to "fuck speeders?"

In a perfect world, if you have a dash cam and can prove that someone was left lane camping when you murdered them, it would be an affirmative defense and dismissed at arraignment.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A person I work with travels from N Idaho to Spokane it's about 30 miles. He got a ticket for traveling in the left lane. It is considered a passing lane only.
View Quote

Right. 'Passing lane' is an obsolete term that was meaningful when some states had 3-lane roads with alternating passing lanes. These things were real killers. But, the term refused to die and is now used in many areas as simply another thing to charge you with, as if by being in the inside lane automatically makes you a speeder because you are passing vehicles which are doing the speed limit.
On today's interstates, there is no 'passing lane' except as a legal abstraction for the benefit of greedy LEO agencies. Each lane may be traveling at different speeds and the inside lane is not always the fastest.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I was doing 90 on the left lane at midland Michigan and even I always move over for a faster car and never camp.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#23]

basic driving review day for ARFBOOMERCOM

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Here in northern MN, people have to go in the right lane to pass you
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is Arfcom.   “Get Both”
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Rage mode activated.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:The Texas DPS site specifically says 6 seconds is the safe following distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:The Texas DPS site specifically says 6 seconds is the safe following distance.

An even greater distance to cover (and more time required), for a pass.

Quoted:
Do you not realize that the vehicle in front of you will take the same time and distance to come to a stop? Unless they have some new technology which will allow them to come to an instantaneous and complete stop, you will be ok.

Do you not realize you missed the entire point of my post?
And, yes, there are instances where vehicles can come to an abrupt and immediate stop. Have you never witnessed a vehicle hit a stationary object, like a semi truck?

Always plan for worst case scenario.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Pass them as quickly and as safely as possible, and move back to the right when the pass is complete.
As you're passing the car, pass some gas.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Rando in an F-150 this morning was chillin in the left lane, miles of road ahead of him, and traffic stacked up. People started shifting over two lanes to the right to get around him and two semis.

I finally got up to him and flashed my lights a couple times and he actually got over!!!!  I couldn't believe it!

First time ever.

I made my pass and got over to the right one lane.

Today is a good day.
View Quote

That light flashing stuff always got me brake checked and sometimes worse. I don’t know how it’s common in some parts of the US and abhorrent in other places.

Side note: Does no one else set their cruise control in 5mph increments? 70mph zone = 75 right lane, 80 left lane or 80 and 85 depending on city.

What’s all this 78 in a 70 crap?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:That light flashing stuff always got me brake checked and sometimes worse. I don’t know how it’s common in some parts of the US and a abhorrent in other places.
View Quote

In most of the rest of the world, flashing lights is the equivalent of politely asking the person to move over.
I get 60/40 mix of move vs anger.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That light flashing stuff always got me brake checked and sometimes worse. I don't know how it's common in some parts of the US and a abhorrent in other places.
View Quote

American drivers may "drive" me to spend my retirement in Europe, where they respect left lanes and flashing to pass. Trucks don't back up highways for miles either.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It means you pass then get the fuck back over in the right lane.

It's a hard concept for some but that's how it's supposed to work.
View Quote

Facts ^

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

An even greater distance to cover (and more time required), for a pass.

Do you not realize you missed the entire point of my post?
And, yes, there are instances where vehicles can come to an abrupt and immediate stop. Have you never witnessed a vehicle hit a stationary object, like a semi truck?

Always plan for worst case scenario.
View Quote

If the car right ahead of you hits a stopped semi and your first indication there is something wrong is the sudden stop of the car ahead of you, following too closely is not the issue.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Move to the left unless you are passing. I don't want you to go faster I want to be able to pass!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:If the car right ahead of you hits a stopped semi and your first indication there is something wrong is the sudden stop of the car ahead of you, following too closely is not the issue.
View Quote

No shit!
Still, has nothing to do with my original point.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Especially if they cut across four lanes of traffic a quarter mile before their exit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Left lane camper thread?

It’s a simple concept… left lane for express traffic (passing), middle lane for through traffic (cruising), right lane for local traffic (exiting).
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's that simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It's that simple.
As if we needed more proof that more laws do anything.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It means if you're not actively passing somebody at a decent clip (speed limit or otherwise), you shouldn't be in it.

Get in, do your thing, get out.
View Quote
So you're saying treat the left lane like a cheap hooker?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Seems like it implies that I go 65 in a 65 zone in the right lane but if I get close to a 60 person I pull to the left lane and pass, then get back in the right lane.

I don't do this and nobody else does.
View Quote

That's exactly what I do, so no, not nobody else.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A person I work with travels from N Idaho to Spokane it's about 30 miles. He got a ticket for traveling in the left lane. It is considered a passing lane only.
View Quote
You get 1.5 miles in the left lane here not passing someone before cops can pop you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#47]
The passing lane in "Gone in 60 Seconds"
Gone in 60 Seconds Car Chase (1974 Unmastered OST Original Soundtrack)

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#48]
It means get the fuck out of the way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#49]
If people in the US knew how to drive on the highway and knew higway etiquette- right lane for on and off ramp merging, middle lanes for cruising, left lane for passing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

On what road?
I-90?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top